Why does Hubpages have a 'Bad Reputation' with Avast anti virus?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Thomas Swan profile image95
    Thomas Swanposted 10 years ago

I recently installed Avast anti-virus free edition. It puts little icons next to google search results to tell you if the site is safe or not. It seems that every hubpages link in search results has a yellow marker saying "This site has a bad reputation". Seeing as Avast is one of the most popular anti-virus programs out there, how much traffic do you think is being lost because of this? Why has this happened, and can the hubpages staff do anything about it?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not sure this is the right forum category for this question--it might better go into the technical issues thread.

That said, I've had a related issue.  I rarely try to access the Internet at all from my Nook reader, because it just isn't a user-friendly platform for that.

Last night, however, I had already shut down my computer, and wanted to check something on my Hub Pages account.  When the site came up, I got a warning saying there was a problem with the site's security certificate, and that it was not a 'safe site.'
      What's up with that??

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you ought to report it to Matt. It could be hurting all of us.

2. Thomas Swan profile image95
        Thomas Swanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, I will ask in the tech issues forum to bring it to the staff's attention.

3. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If the time on your Nook is set wrongly you will get that warning. The machine is just checking the date on the certificate and comparing it to the date in its memory.

What??!!  does the certificate date change to the current date every day?  I cannot imagine what other date the Nook would be checking against, as I doubt it came pre-loaded with the date-data for all possible site certificates!
          (It IS set to the correct current date within its own system.)

1. Will Apse profile image87
            Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is a funny old world, isn't it? Certificates are only valid for certain time frames.

Only you can tell if your Nook is using the correct date.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I suggest reporting this on one of the staff-monitored threads, or emailing the team.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thomas, We are unaware of any issue with the site and malware, etc.
      I would suggest contacting Avast support as I am not familiar with how they determine safety for sites.  It could be due to erroneous user reports as some authors have suggested or due to an improper categorization of an ad URL or even local malware being inserted into the site content on your machine.

If you have more specific information regarding a Hub or other example URL on which you are seeing the notice, please share that information and we may be able to research further, but from the information presented it sounds like this may be an issue specific to Avast.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Surely, if this is "an issue with Avast" - which is used by thousands of users worldwide - it's HubPages that should be contacting Avast, because the whole site is losing views from those users?

If one of my readers told me my website was being blocked by Avast, I certainly wouldn't tell that reader to take it up with Avast - I'd be right on it.

Thanks for replying Matthew. I'm not suggesting Hubpages has any Malware problem. I'm not familiar with how Avast deals with these matters either, and I don't think I'm the person who should be talking to them. The site as a whole is losing traffic because people are being deterred after seeing this warning in search results. It is not one URL, it is every search result with hubpages.com in it. I was using Avast free edition with firefox on my old XP laptop. I've done my bit in bringing this to your attention. I hope you follow it up because it must be affecting traffic to the site in some way.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
          The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps it is not Avast but the Windows version or the browser which is used. I have Win 7 and have never had a problem.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image60

I have Avast too and I have had no problem with it and HP. Have you heard of Webutation? I have that and usually get a 100 rating on most online pages. Occasionally I get a warning that a site is unsafe and it has a 40 rating but it is not HP. I always get 100 for them.

1. profile image0
        epsonok0posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks I just installed webutation as my old antivirus expired. This will be a good tool.

I did not say that this was an antivirus. It just keeps tabs on page ratings. Hackers and viruses can probably still sneak in there. I use it with my Avast.

1. profile image0
            epsonok0posted 10 years agoin reply to this

oh I guessed that after install. LOL I use a cloud server that prevents viruses before it comes to my PC. I download to the cloud then to the PC.

I just wanted to make sure that I was not misunderstood. smile

Was it the free edition? I'm using the free edition with the firefox browser.

The free edition of Avast? Yes, and I use Chrome.

Hmm, well that's strange. Perhaps it's only in firefox or because I'm using XP on that laptop. I'm not the first to report this problem though. There was a question asked about it, but it got no answers.

Perhaps it is a combination. I have Win 7 on a desktop. Did you try using the laptop in various locations and see if all locations had this problem? It may also be that.

2. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 10 years ago

Not sure but I think Avast ratings also go by user reports(+ or -) ,so it may be that not enough people have reported on HP which would put us in the 'Iffy' category with Avast...which is,IMO,the best out there.

Could be some malicious ex-users or people from a rival site who want to destroy hubpages reputation then.

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I use avast and have noticed this also - but just never really paid a lot of attention to it.  I can see though how it could be problematic.

4. talentvilla profile image57
    talentvillaposted 10 years ago

That is strange, has anyone ever had a problem when using hubpages? Like actually got malware or a virus from a hub?

No, I'm sure the only problem is with avast's rating system. I don't see anything wrong with hubpages.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

I have no clue what 'rating system' is used by the Nook e-reader platform, and that is where I encountered this issue. 
    I do believe I was told it is "android-based," but that is all I know about it.

(I've never even heard of "Avast" prior to reading this thread.)

Well you see it is like this...smile
      Do you have an Antivirus protection program?

Those are not available for e-readers, as far as I am aware...

They are available for laptops, desktops and these days they have ones for mobile phones.

none of those things are "e-readers," however, and I've not seen anything about anti-virus ware for such devices.  sad

You must have something to do you e-reading on. What is it?

6. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years ago

I have Avast on my phone and my computer, and have had no problems with it and HP. I even went back and checked after I read this.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)