Does Tim Tebow's religious beliefs hurt his chances of finding a job?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years ago

I'm wondering if Tebow would be on a team if he didn't have the external publicity that seems to be garnered by his faith.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Uh oh! How soon before this turns ugly? lol

2. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I certainly hope that his religion isn't hurting his job status. He seems very talented and certainly appears to have the ability to do very well, so I would hate to know he is being avoided and his talent being wasted due to his religious beliefs or the focus that it may bring. I've always heard people regard his outward show of faith in a positive way and they often spoke of admiring him for it. I think that teams that are perhaps avoiding him for the possible reason that too much attention will be focused on him alone and not the whole team are only hurting themselves. Quarterbacks seem to often be a heavy focus of any team anyway so what would really be the difference, right?

3. Cre8tor profile image92
      Cre8torposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is absolutely the case. Look at how many teams need QB's and what Tebow did in Denver...why else wouldn't they hire him? It's the display of his religion is what it is, not his religion. There are plenty of Christians in the NFL but I think there is the "don't cram it down my throat" factor here. I believe it's more of a locker room thing than public. However, as many people as feel he is cheated by this or that people shouldn't see him the way they do, what would they say if one of the Islamic players displayed his faith so strongly on the field, in the locker room and on national TV? I feel the American public generally doesn't care what you believe but doesn't like it when you start "waving the flag". At least not in certain environments. We forget that these guys are at work. Ask yourself, how would you feel if someone came busting into the office or job site everyday, at meetings and presentations with a prayer for whatever their religion was to whatever audience was present? Football is a business and he is a representative of that business.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 10 years agoin reply to this

what about ray lewis?

1. Cre8tor profile image92

No doubt an elite level player will be more tolerated. Tebow is hardly elite. That said, it's easier not to invite it in than it is to throw it out. I also think Ray is seen in a different light. His ego, past and overly dramatic character makes it hard for people to take him seriously, thus defenses go down a bit.

4. profile image0

I don't know about that, but I do know his unimproved throwing mechanics and lousy practice performances are definitely hurting him.

5. profile image0
      Deepes Mindposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, it isn't his religious beliefs that are hindering him from getting a job. He is not the only devout Christian in the NFL. Tebow is not an NFL level quarterback at this point. He needs to work on his mechanics more. Unfortunately, his ego is what's keeping him unemployed. There are teams willing to take him at a different position while he works on his skills at QB, but he doesn't want to do that. Tebow is more than a little overrated. He won the he is man, but he had a good team around him that made up for his deficiencies.

1. profile image0
        Mklow1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Deepes,
        I agree there are other players that are Christian, but not put on the same pedestal by the media as Tebow. He seems to be the poster child for Christianity, and not just in sports.

He also does need to work on his mechanics, but the fact remains that when he starts, he does pretty good. He has started 14 regular season games (2 starts in the playoff stats are not included):

8 wins 6 losses (also playoff win)
        2,422 yards (not great, but not bad)
        47.9% completion (pretty bad, but considering he doesn't get PT consistently, not bad)
        17 TD's 9 INT's (pretty solid for bad mechanics)
        75.3 QB rating

Compare w/ Peyton Mannings 1st 16 Games started (plus remember everyone was down on him because they said he had "happy feet" and would never make it in NFL):

Team   
        IND      Percentage 56.7    Yards 3,739    TD's    26    INT's 28†    Rating 71.2

3 wins
        13 losses

When you look at that, I don't understand why the guy just hasn't been given the chance. I mean, not even as a backup??? Come on. This guy has got to be better than some starters, at least 5 or 6.

I think most NFL teams think his highlighted religious beliefs are baggage. Not saying that because of what he believes in, but just how much focus the media and the fans put on it. So, in reality, it probably is his religion.

1. profile image0

Decent point regarding the difference in the stats. Now do me a favor. Look up Manning's stats for the first three or four years and hold them up next to tebow. The difference between the two is that Manning worked on his game and was content to be a backup at times. Tebow wants to start. I'm not taking anything away from Tebow, but he needs to sit behind an elite level QB for a while and learn his craft

1. profile image0

The problem with putting Peyton's stats for three or four years after his first is that Tebow has not been given that chance. Remember he has only started 14 games plus 2 in the playoffs. He has played other times, but it is hard for a player to come in as a backup. I've been there.

Now, I think we both know that Tebow is no Manning, so I get what you are saying, but since Manning can be considered among the best QB's of all time, that is pretty much a given for any other quarterback. My point is that when he is given the chance, he has won, although not that pretty. And when you consider how many QB's in the league (include backups) that have not even had his kind of success, it kind of makes you wonder. 

With that said, I have never sat in on a meeting with NFL coaches and owners, so I am not an expert. And given the fact that this guy is popular, makes it an even bigger head scratcher, so in reality, I am grabbing at straws, but that is all I can come up with.

BTW, you said:"The difference between the two is that Manning worked on his game and was content to be a backup at times."

I can't find an example of when he was a backup, not even in Junior High, so help me out on this one.

1. profile image0

This begs the question of was that success a testament to his greatness and skill as a QB, or a testament to how good the rest of the offense was.. He became starter in 2011. That year, The Broncos were next to last in the NFL in passing and receiving, but First in rushing.  Tebow ranked 31 in passing for quarterbacks that season. Tebow once again (as in college) reaped the benefits of the skills of his teammates

With that said, I have never sat in on a meeting with NFL coaches and owners, so I am not an expert. And given the fact that this guy is popular, makes it an even bigger head scratcher, so in reality, I am grabbing at straws, but that is all I can come up with.

At Tennessee, He was Third string QB in his rookie year, but became starter after the first and second string got injured

1. profile image0

"At Tennessee, He was Third string QB in his rookie year, but became starter after the first and second string got injured"

Cool, I didn't know that.

But if his success was based off the team, then you are suggesting that Tebow, not being an NFL caliber quarterback, was not responsible. That also implies that they can just stick anyone in there and do well. I mean, the guy might not be the best passer, but he has skills, and I think, given the chance to play consistently, he can improve his timing.

1. profile image0

Again, I'm not talking anything away from his skills. But at the NFL level, his current skills are better suited for a position other than quarterback. The issue with him getting a chance to improve his timing is that As a starter he is expected to produce at a certain level. He currently is not at that level. He needs to be a backup to a veteran for a while. The reason he doesn't currently have a job is because of his ego. He feels that he should be a starter but his throwing skills don't match that. He is better suited forthe halfback or fullback.

2. Alphadogg16 profile image86
                  Alphadogg16posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mklow1, your giving Tebow to much credit, yes he was successful & won games, so was Mark Sanchez in his first couple of years, he was successful with the aid of a ferocious defense as was a number of QB's that lacked the "QB skills".... Tebows athletic ability puts him in the category with Cam Newton, Vick, RGIII, & Russell Wilson, the only difference is they all can throw the ball.

1. profile image0

+1

6. lions44 profile image95
      lions44posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Tebow's done as a QB in the NFL and probably as a player period.  His religious beliefs are not keeping him out of the NFL. I watched him practice in person for a very long time and he still couldn't hit a receiver. If the coaches thought he would help them win, he'd be on a team.  Saints or sinners, it doesn't matter. 
      He now has a new agent and is shopping for a broadcast job. Unfortunately, I don't think that's where his skills lay either.  He might grow into the job but I don't see it.   Good guy. He'll do great things one day, but just not in professional sports.

7. PhoenixV profile image63
      PhoenixVposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's possible, however, in my opinion, I am not sure the NFL is as bad as some of the forums here are, quite yet, but you could be right.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image84
        oceansnsunsetsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Tebow could be experiencing a cause and effect, which wouldn't be fair, but it is hard to know for sure.

As for the forums here, I do see poor treatment of some, like a good friend today that was banned for a month, for asking a person to stop lying about him and trolling in the forum, which the person was definitely doing, and couldn't be denied.  Their friends came to his rescue, evidently, and my friend is silenced now for encouraging more honest discussion and debate here.  Why this is tolerated on this site is unknown to me, but it definitely is. Whether it is due to over zealous moderators that automatically take sides with their friends, i don't know.  I do wish that that whoever is in charge would really research the claims being made and looking at the posts in context.  I mean looking at the posts that lead up to the post that gets reported.  I know, that fair people would have sided with the person that ended up getting banned, and it is a source of great discouragement to me.  It discourages honest, intelligent debate, and seems very unfair.  I am sharing this news in hopes of some reconsideration of current state of affairs that would allow for this.   Being banned for a month is extreme overkill for asking someone to not lie about what you said, and stop trolling and being generally dishonest. 

I had to post this here, because I couldn't help but notice the hypocritical nature of worrying about Tebow and how others are responding to him for his Christianity, while others on this site are getting heat for theirs.  It is one group in particular that is allowed to get truly insulted on a regular basis, and I have seen it just again today.  4 weeks of being silenced, but others don't get that, that do FAR worse, and this wasn't even bad.

2. my_girl_sara profile image75
    my_girl_saraposted 10 years ago

Of course his beliefs are keeping him unemployed. Why else would a Heisman trophy winner be unemployed at such an early point in his career. Tebow is very polarizing. I applaud him for staying strong in his beliefs. We need more people of character in football. Too often, those type of people get pushed out.

3. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

A.) No. That would be illegal as hell.

B.) It's football. It's a sport. Who cares? This is not serious business.

1. Cre8tor profile image92

A) Illegal? What's that got to do w/ the NFL? (sarcasm)
      B) Though sports shouldn't perhaps be what they are, they are none the less very serious business.

4. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

It drives me nuts he still hasn't had a chance this season.  More QBs go down and he stays on the sidelines.  Looks like the Browns just signed Caleb Hanie (0-4) as a career starter.

It seems inexplicable that he doesn't have a job playing.

1. profile image0

The worst part is that he's not even on the sidelines. lol They won't even let him in the clubhouse!

5. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

I'd love to hear what the Browns said when/if they discussed signing Tebow.  Why exactly did they pass.  I imagine another two or three QBs will get hurt this year.  I'd love to see Tebow, even if it's only for a single game! 

If Cuban owned an NFL team, I'd bet he'd sign Tebow:)

6. Alphadogg16 profile image86
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

Tebow is a great athlete & probably would be picked up by a team if he changed his position to fullback or tight end, but he is not a quarterback. Yes he had a winning streak in Denver, which honestly was more luck than anything. What quarterback could have 8 attempts in an entire game, completing only 2 & still win the game. Denver's when streak was definitely not because of Tebows arm.

7. Alphadogg16 profile image86

When the Jets signed him, Rex said he'd have a chance to be the starter, when he was benched in favor of Sanchez, he started whining. As far as 90+ QB's being better than him, you have to understand, the prototypical NFL QB drops back & has the ability to make all the throws, doesn't need to be athletic or run. Peyton can't run, neither can Brady. Dan Marino couldn't run. Running is the only thing that Tebow does well. Denver changed their entire offensive play book due to his lack of QB skills. So in "QB terms", there may be 90 QB's better than him.

8. Alphadogg16 profile image86

When the Jets signed him, Rex said he'd have a chance to be the starter, when he was benched in favor of Sanchez, he started whining. As far as 90+ QB's being better than him, you have to understand, the prototypical NFL QB drops back & has the ability to make all the throws, doesn't need to be athletic or run. Peyton can't run, neither can Brady. Dan Marino couldn't run. Running is the only thing that Tebow does well. Denver changed their entire offensive play book due to his lack of QB skills. So in "QB terms", there may be 90 QB's better than him.

1. profile image0

I guess you might be right.

But that is why I like baseball. Its more democratic because they don't care about style or a prototype, just as long as you get it done.

1. profile image0

In baseball they have guaranteed contracts, so they can't really cut anyone as easily as nfl teams can.  The best they can do is probably send a guy down to the minors to work on their game, but that's about it.  In the nfl as we've seen before, it doesn't matter if you have a guaranteed contract or not, teams still seem to have various ways to cut you.  Just look at Peyton Manning during his last season in Indie.  He had a huge multiyear guaranteed contract, yet one season long injury later, indie found a way to cut him to save money.

9. BC Messplay profile image61
    BC Messplayposted 10 years ago

Tim Tebow's religious beliefs are not hurting his chances in the NFL, his inability to throw are hurting his chances as a quarterback. Tim Tebow is a great person, and I hope he finds success somewhere, it just won't be as an NFL quarterback.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)