When Atheists Attack

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (195 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 10 years ago

I've read some very strongly worded attacks against incredibly praise worthy acts by professed Christians on this forum recently. Wording that, if directed at atheism in general, would bring a well deserved barrage of criticism for being unaccepting of alternative views. If this trend of refusal to attempt to see the good and attack anything which doesn't fit into the particular belief structure of devout atheism spreads, I foresee words spoken taken to heart by some listening and one more fanatical terrorist group spreading their gospel through random acts of masked violence.

If such a scenario were to play out, would radical atheism be more destructive than the radical splinter groups of their religious counterparts?

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The most radical of Atheists write books, while the most radical of theists fly jets into buildings.

Why are you attacking the Atheists?

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Interesting point, and one rather difficult to refute.  When the "theism" drives the actions it seems the theist is far more violent than the atheist.  I don't know that I've ever heard of an atheist killing anyone in the name of atheism, but the reverse is common.

1. tammybarnette profile image60
          tammybarnetteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You have apoint that violence has been common, however IMHO. Aetheism is far more dangerous for mankind.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
            A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why would a lack of belief in gods be dangerous for mankind considering a belief in gods has and continues to be dangerous?

Its obvious that I am Christian and would like nothing better for everyone to go to Heaven. What is your reasoning for wishing to push your disbelief on a believer? What exactly do you accomplish?

So, in other words, what you want to believe is best for all, thus ignoring the wants and needs of everyone else.

YOU are the one who wants everyone to go to heaven. YOU are the one pushing beliefs.

And you didn't answer my question...what do you get out of trying to push your disbelief on others.

Exposing the irrational, illogical and ridiculous beliefs of the religiously indoctrinated is not pushing anything.

2. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well anti anything is pro something.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

Emile is confusing the word 'radical' with clarity. Believers hate clarity, they can't stand it when discussions are clear, concise and to the point. Their mish mash of word salads and gibberish are better preferred so that they never have to explain themselves, their motives or their beliefs.

3. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion, Atheists questioning possible motives behind praiseworthy Christian acts of kindness does not mean Atheists are developing or will develop or splinter off into possible or eventual radicals. When something is done by anyone that is praiseworthy, whatever their "label" is should not matter. If their "label" (Christian, Atheist, Muslim, etc.) is emphasized in the act, of course suspicion may arise as to a possible motive for doing it. It's natural to do so but does not mean there is a radical reasoning behind the suspicion, it just means that things will likely always be questioned when any emphasis is involved and to me, that does not necessarily make it bad or the questioners ill intentioned. If it's specifically pointed out that the person performing the kind act is Christian (or whatever they may be) then it's reasonable then for non-Christians (or what have you) to point out that it possibly wasn't emphasized as a kind deed for the right reasons. Yes it is indeed very kind of this person (I know of the story you are referring to) to do what she is doing and she should be praised by all for sure. She is a wonderful person for being so selfless, but if the emphasis is on her being a Christian performing the act and not just the good act itself, motive behind the good deed will, most likely, then be questioned. How would it seem if the act of kindness was addressed as a praiseworthy Atheist act of kindness? Would that be immediately called out as Atheists seeking credit due to who or what they are and perhaps even be accused of performing the act of kindness just for the opportunity to spread their opinions and "beliefs" onto the recipients of the act? Would that not seem to be motive behind the kind deed? That's definitely possible. That wouldn't have meant that Christians were showing possible progression towards radical behavior if they had questioned the motives of the Atheists. I'm not saying it should have been questioned or pointed out or anything of the sort, but reversing the situation for me gives a perspective that I can understand from all sides. Perhaps Atheists are simply becoming more bold, vocal and openly opinionated now and for some that may be tuned to Christianity being the loudest opinion for so long, find this "different" group's questions and opinions upsetting or unsettling? This does not mean that Atheists are radical or overly aggressive, perhaps it simply means that they are finally being heard on the same level as others.

Is it possible that the theist's anger happens because they don't understand questioning?  Atheists are taught to question everything, and do so.  Theists are taught that if good can be claimed for god, then never question it. 

When the atheist does so anyway, anger is the result.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
          DoubleScorpionposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you may be on to something here.

Just about every Theist that I have talked with tends to get angry when asked questions...especially ones they don't have answers for. I have been accused of attacking, or pushing my "beliefs" on them, when in fact all I have done was ask them questions about their own faith and beliefs.

It is often taken as attack, when the intent is merely to learn.  Unfortunate, but also almost inevitable.  When comments/questions are perceived as going somewhere the listener doesn't want to go, where they just might shake the foundations of their faith, anger is the most common reaction.

It's intersting to me...you attack a Christians beliefs but somehow are complaining of being attacked? Reminds me of fights between Republicans and Democrats...very sad

?? You lost me here - I indicate no attack on either the Christian or myself.  Only the perception of an attack, brought on by a quest for knowledge.

Can you elucidate?

"It is often taken as attack, when the intent is merely to learn.  Unfortunate, but also almost inevitable.  When comments/questions are perceived as going somewhere the listener doesn't want to go, where they just might shake the foundations of their faith, anger is the most common reaction."

Aethiest can not shake the foundations of the faithful wilderness...that is a very arrogant and demeaning thing to say. I understand that you think you are right about all the things you say...I think I am right about all the things I say, but I do not then conclude that you or your kind are ignorant only mislead.

lol Yet, we aren't the ones following ancient Bronze Age myths and superstitions.

2. DoubleScorpion profile image77

Sounds like Socrates...He asked questions of the "wise" to gain knowledge...and we know the results of that...The "wise" were not so wise...

2. profile image0

I'm not pondering those such as yourself, but viewpoints that lack respect or consideration. Ones which refuse to search for good, but see only negative. Radical theism reversed, basically, into radical atheism.

This is a difficult question to answer really as we are dealing with a hypothetical situation...

There are those on these forums who are on the brash side. But that is just is what it is...

There is good being done...But I would think the argument is "is that good being done with an agenda"...An example I can think of is...Hitler did good for Germany...But the agenda was the eventual downfall of Germany....

I think it is a matter of Why can't someone just do Good without adding anything else to it...Feed the Hungry, House the homeless, Build schools.. things like that and leave the "religion" at home...

I have a hard time seeing a "Radical Atheist" as the very lack of their belief in "Gods" and lean more to the Humanistic view would lead to less stress...

Living by laws that benefit society as a whole, vice Laws that are bias towards some would be more what I would expect from the "Radical Atheist"..

But that is only my opinion...

1. profile image0

Why would you think that an Atheist society would support biased laws? It seems to me that where secular governments are formed there laws apply to all equally. While that doesn't appear to be the case is non secular societies just as Iran.

I don't...I think they would support laws that benefit all...It is the "religious" that tend to follow Biased laws...Which is what I said..

1. profile image0

Okay, I guess I misunderstood.

2. profile image0

Hmm. I suppose, if only Soviet Russia had known that before the wall fell. North Korea could probably benefit from that knowledge. You should send an email.

2. tammybarnette profile image60

We probably shouldn't clump people together under these labels. We are individuals. I never get angry while talking to Atheist, I never attack...I do feel sad for them, pray for them.

And, we feel sad for mankind being enslaved by religions.

I do not in anyway push myself or beliefs on others or in anyway wish for you or a muslim or any relious/ nonreligious person to be persecuted for their beliefs...I am a Democrat by the way...I believe every person should have the basic right to live as they so choose as long as they do so without harming others.

3. profile image0
          MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps, wilderness. But there may be those that have the thought process of, why question. I was one of those people once. Now I question everything and annoy everyone smile

4. aliasis profile image73
      aliasisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lol at everything about this post.

scary scary atheists, not having religion, next thing you'll know they'll be murdering nonbelievers and running planes into buildings...

oh wait.

1. profile image0

Arrogant disdain for others breeds violence. Belief drives that violence., Belief that 'I know better' is a problem. I don't think atheists would fly planes into buildings, but history shows that atheism can drive genocide, pogroms and the subjugation of the masses.  Yet, your average atheist refuses to accept this, like your average Christian thinks they aren't like those under regimes controlled by religion. Oh. But, wait. Atheism is so intellectually superior, it just couldn't support violence says the shroom.

1. profile image0

Arrogant disdain. That's what I'm sensing from you post. With some anger mixed in of course. Why the anger?

1. profile image0

Get a grip. How in the world do you see anger?

And, where exactly does history show that?

5. SwordofManticorE profile image69
      SwordofManticorEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Emile, the secret to a good defense from an atheist attack is to just ignore them and their comments. They like to lure you in with compliments such as "your one of the nicer Christians that is not afraid to discuss religion". They are my brothers and sisters, but ignoring them works wonders. Don't even read their posts. It is a waste of your time and every time you feel the need to defend your faith or explain it to them, they sit back and laugh at you inside. Don't give them a reason to hurt you.

1. profile image0

No one is trying to hurt anyone, simply trying gain mutual understanding. I however understand why you feel the need to close yourself off, but it's not a healthy thing to do.

2. profile image0

Well, they don't bother me. As my sister says they yap a lot and nip at your heels, but their teeth are too small to take a bite. I don't know that I have any firmly held beliefs that aren't backed by some type of evidence and I don't feel the need to have my opinions validated so they don't bother me, personally.

I just find it sad that someone can do something good and if they are a religious person some of the atheists here find it offensive. If an atheist was doing the same thing they'd be singing their praises. It's so one sided and hypocritical.

More ranting and vitriol against atheists. You should be banned for starting this thread.

1. profile image0

I would suggest you report me. That will do the trick. Or not. I'm not ranting ATM and nothing I have said constitutes vitriol. Buy a dictionary.

6. A Troubled Man profile image57

Btw, Emile has failed to point out these alleged attacks and these alleged worthy Christians. We can probably conclude Emile just wants to rant because her arguments fail miserably in light of reasoned argument.

Atheists attack, indeed. Is this thread not an unfounded, unwarranted attack on atheists, Emile? lol

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Granted it's presumptuous of me, but I would imagine she's referring to the young woman who gave up a comfortable life in America to run an orphanage in Africa and adopt 14 children. Im pretty sure you knew that too, but let the mudslinging begin.

Oh yes, yet another evangelist setting up missionaries in foreign countries in order to spread the gospel and destroy yet another culture.

1. profile image0

alrighty.

So, how many cultures do Christians need to wipe out in order for everyone to be saved, Beth?

1. profile image0

They've gone well beyond that number already, Beth.

1. profile image0

Maybe I inverted it. You know how stupid I am.

2. profile image0

Well, ATM. I've never known you to be reasonable so I'm not sure who you are referring to. But, I do see some atheists (such as yourself, mind you) who are consistently negative, who attempt to belittle, who for some bizarre reason think they should be seen as authoritative voices when they show no reason to be considered as authoritative. I'm at a loss as to why anyone feels the need to attempt to lord themselves and their personal opinions over others.

That's what I wanted to know. Who exactly is this thread about and what attacks are you referring? So far, you have yet to produce anything here bit vitriol. Obviously, it is a thread to attack atheists for no reason at all. Sad, really.

1. profile image0

I'm not attacking atheists ATM. I do, honestly, believe that the constant negativity displayed by some is counter productive. You would probably never do anything that remotely resembles violence, but words can embolden others to do just that.

You have never displayed an ability to be reasonable or respectful to anyone who doesn't kowtow to you or go out of their way to bend at your every whim. I'm not having a conversation with you. I never have. You engage simply to insult. You can certainly claim you don't insult people, but your manner and your words say otherwise. You simply want to rant, belittle and degrade anyone you think is different from you, philosophically speaking. I pity this type of mentality.

Yes, I understand how you believers are compelled to believe facing up to reality is a negative thing that is counter productive to your irrational beliefs.

Well, it sure looks like your words "emboldened" me. lol

Do you feel better now that you've got yet another rant off your chest? Why don't you just tell us how you really feel?

1. profile image0

She did. She said what Ive said 100 times. You bully ppl. That's what "belittling" and "degrading" behavior is.

1. profile image0

Actually he doesn't. He simply attempts to show you the errors in your thinking that can be destructive to you and others.

1. profile image0

Actually he does. That's why ppl tell him that every day.

2. profile image0

Biased. Obviously. If a religious person spoke to you in the same manner ATM feels he has the right to speak to them, you'd be complaining. I've seen you do it time and again. I simply do not understand why the religious can't see past their prejudices. And, yes, this type of devout atheism constitutes religious behavior, imo.

"Bullying is the use of force, threat, or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or aggressively to impose domination over others."

Notice that is the second time I have posted the definition of 'bullying' for you Beth, obviously you ignored it the first time, just you like you ignore other things people post for you.

Also notice, that based on the definition, it isn't possible for anyone to bully anyone else on a public internet forum.

Am I using force, Beth?
                  Am I threatening anyone, Beth?
                  Am I coercing anyone, Beth?
                  Am I intimidating anyone, Beth?
                  Am i aggressively imposing domination over anyone, Beth?

That answer to all of these questions is obviously, no, Beth. I know that and you know that.

So, to continuously claim that I am bullying someone shows and incredible willful ignorance and denial on your part, sheer dishonesty, which is what we've come to learn about how you behave here.

Will you now state that this post was me bullying you, Beth?

1. profile image0

You do intimidate thru words.
                    You do use abusive words.
                    You bully... it's called internet bullying.
                    It's a thing and you do it.

2. profile image0

I'm afraid your emotions are inhibiting your ability to think rationally. I have not done a thing except ask a simple question. If that question causes you to be upset, that is your problem. Not mine. I do realize you do not appear to understand the  concept of personal responsibility but, again.....not my problem. smile

Is that what you call your rants and vitriol? This thread? lol

1. profile image0

Well, it has been my observation if I am not actively cheering you on I am considered somehow at fault. You don't scare me ATM and posts such as Melissa's are expected. Courtesy, mutual respect and good manners appear to be beyond your ken. When in Rome, I say. Don't whine when you get back exactly what you dish out.

2. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

LOL. He talks as if he went insane.

"If you drive God out of the world, you create a howling wilderness." lol

1. profile image0

And that may very well be true for him, but that doesn't make it true for everyone or anyone else. This is the common theme that I've found among theists. They assume everyone else is like them.

He may in fact need his delusion to survive and he may in fact think others do.

Actually believers never assume that non-believers are like them.

1. profile image0

Sure they do. You can at the very least be honest. They assume everyone needs saving…

Assuming everyone needs saving and assuming believers and non believers are alike are two very different things. Of course we are all alike on a human scale..two eyes and all..But believers are painfully aware of the "world" inwhich we live.

They are painfully far from aware of the world in which they live, instead focusing on fairy tales and delusions while ignoring reality.

Right back atcha lol smile

Sorry, but we are aware of the world around us, through scientific discovery, facts and evidence, which don't include the fairy tales of religions.

2. profile image0

Why? You assume we all need religion in our lives and you assume it's a particle brand of religion so you lump everyone together and then claim we all don't need the same things?

Not sure I understand this post...I don't persume all need religion, I know all need Christ smile

How very "pushy" of you to say so. smile

2. profile image0

There you go. Can't see past yourself and assume everyone needs what you have. Funny.

2. profile image0

There in lies the point. Calling people delusional implies you believe you know better than others. It implies your thought processes are superior. It implies your conclusions ate superior. It's quite sad, really. Simply because it is no different than devout religious thinking and it can be used to feed a violent ego.

Tick, tick, tick.

3. profile image0

And yet, the same can be said about any assertions on a cosmic scale. But, everyone with beliefs refuse to accept this. (in case you didn't follow that the comment includes your beliefs)

1. profile image0

Why the hatred Emile? Perhaps you should talk to someone about that.

Tell me Emile, what do you say when someone knocks on your door and tells you that the tooth fairy is watching and judging your life?

1. profile image0

Please explain how this comment can be construed as hatred. I'm at a loss.

2. tammybarnette profile image60

BTW ATM...I am also a fitness freak, but I dont go drag the obese and unhealthy off their hover-rounds off the isles of the Wal Mart and drag them to the gym which would be execedingly better for them, but not my call lol...BUT, if they ask me how I became so fit I would enjoy telling them all about living healthy. Likewise, anyone who asks why I am so perky, I will share my joy of the Lord. smile

Likewise, when folks talk about their gods, I will expose their nonsense. smile

Because you are so wise?

Because it is obvious.

Sorry, nothing obvious about that...only to you and your kind ATM...We believers also think our beliefs are quite obvious.

If you're beliefs were obvious, every person on the planet would agree with them. However, you Christians can't even agree with each other.

Religions disagree...Christians are of one belief...Thank God it's not up too us mere humans to sort it all out smile Peace and love to all! Must run after my sugar booger now..TTFN smile

2. bBerean profile image62
                bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ob·vi·ous
                ˈäbvēəs/
                adjective
                adjective: obvious

easily perceived or understood; clear, self-evident, or apparent.

Allow me to acknowledge in advance the outcry that what follows is an appeal to: numbers, public, popularity, whatever. 

Still it is worth noting, that if something truly were "obvious", the majority of humanity would not reject it...or do you contend they would?  Your belief there is no god,  is rejected by most...by a long shot, so "obvious" may not be the word you were looking for.  Is everyone but your small band delusional?  Only the "brights" are illuminated, perhaps? 

I agree that the majority of people believing something is not conclusive evidence that it is true, but it still is evidence to be considered.  Evidence that weighs in favor of the idea that it is the small group of bio sensors who are missing something.

The absence of unicorns and leprechauns is obvious, as is the absence of gods. That is, unless you or anyone else can show us these things?

Irrational beliefs in myths and superstitions are not evidence to be considered.

3. profile image0

This thread totally lived up to its name.

Which part would that be, when you said my pic was next to the definition of pushy or when Tammy called us haters? Inquiring minds want to know.

1. profile image0

Pushy is inaccurate according to the definition?

4. profile image0

ha·rass  (h-rs, hrs)
    tr.v. ha·rassed, ha·rass·ing, ha·rass·es
    1. To irritate or torment persistently.
    2. To wear out; exhaust.
    3. To impede and exhaust (an enemy) by repeated attacks or raids.

These are your quotes... tell me they are not insulting or demeaning. Tell me that the constant, repetitive posts to specific ppl are not harassing.

"Have you even read any of other scripture from other religions? It would appear you haven't, hence you can't make any intelligent comments regarding any differences.

You actually have no idea what you're talking about and just making up stuff as you go along. Hilarious.

Saying that merely makes you look incredibly ignorant and deluded or just something a small child would say in a kindergarten playground.

Sorry, but the Bible does not talk about the brain or how it works because no one back then knew anything about it. You should try reading books sometime.

You obviously have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Yes, you are talking nonsensical gibberish.

The difference is that you don't use yours. (brains)

That is a terrible score, a complete fail. It clearly shows you're critical thinking skills are abysmal and your posts here confirm that.

Wow! How does someone like this actually function in society?"

These are all posts to one person... by definition you are harassing this person with derogatory remarks... that is cyber bullying. You are a cyber bully. Any one who makes excuses for you becomes just as guilty as you. I could have posted hundreds of similar comments, but what's the point? We've all heard you speak this way and some of us are not willing to pretend you're not trying to hurt ppl with your words.

Ah, I see now, you're switching gears to something else and are now stating I'm harassing others here. Are there no bounds or limits to your dishonesty, Beth?

Oh, so now I'm a cyber bully? lol You do realize there are laws against cyber bullying, don't you, Beth? In other words, my actions would warrant arrest and incarceration if I was indeed a cyber bully. Once again, you are compelled to fabricate these things for some strange reason.

So, tell us, Beth? Why do you make this stuff up? What compels you to do these things?

1. profile image0

I printed your words.

I'm asking why you're compelled to fabricate claims that are obviously false? You called me a cyber bully and yet there are laws against being a cyber bully.

It would appear that it is you who is attacking me with false accusations, very serious ones. Will you be following up with the authorities to have me arrested? Or, will I be following up with the admins here to have you banned for making serious false accusations?

That ball is in your court, Beth.

1. profile image0

This is the definition of bullying:

A definition of bullying
            Bullying is repeated verbal, physical, social or psychological behavior that is harmful and involves the misuse of power by an individual or group towards one or more persons. Cyberbullying refers to bullying through information and communication technologies.

Bullying can involve humiliation , domination, intimidation, victimization and all forms of harassment  including that based on sex, race, disability, homosexuality or transgender. Bullying of any form or for any reason can have long-term effects on those involved including bystanders.

Bullying can happen anywhere: at school, travelling to and from school, in sporting teams, between neighbors or in the workplace.

Bullying behavior can be:

verbal eg name calling, teasing, abuse, put-downs, sarcasm, insults, threats
            physical eg hitting, punching, kicking, scratching, tripping, spitting
            social eg ignoring, excluding, ostracizing, alienating, making inappropriate gestures
            psychological eg spreading rumors, dirty looks, hiding or damaging possessions, malicious SMS and email messages, inappropriate use of camera phones.

So now that bullying is defined, and harassment has been defined and your direct quotes have been printed to show you clearly do both, I guess you are simply needing a definition of cyber or internet?

cy·ber adjective \ˈsī-bər\

Definition of CYBER

:  of, relating to, or involving computers or computer

I don't want to suggest, as Emile did, that you buy a dictionary, but this *is a lot of effort on my part.

1. profile image0

You should then I guess do the right thing and call the authorities as your accusations are very serious.

1. profile image0

It's just a game to you. Kinda gross. We shouldn't all be held all to the same standard? We can't talk to one another without calling the other person a child, stupid, brainless? All of those comments were directed at ONE person. You get upset when someone tells you you've spelled something wrong, you can't imagine how it would feel to be on the receiving end of those harsh, unkind comments of his?

1. profile image0

Actually Beth I don't get upset when someone tells me I spelled something wrong. I do find my spelling errors frustrating.

But I have been called all kinds of names over the last while. Mostly from Emily, the latest was a shroom. I think her explanation was something like being left alone in the dark. doesn't really bother me at all.

And no, it's not a game to me when someone accuses someone of bullying. If you feel charges should be laid you should consider it.

1. profile image0

Yeah... you do get upset, but that's ok, cause we all have feelings and it's really important to remember that we all have them.

So, because you insist on calling me a cyber bully, which is a serious accusation, I have no choice but to contact the admins here and report you.

1. profile image0

Please point out this thread when you do. smile

2. profile image0

Goodness. There has been no foul. What has gotten you so upset ATM? This is, although not unlike you, troubling in that your behavior appears more irrational than normal.

Really? So, you find it perfectly acceptable for people to be accused of cyber bullying, a serious offense that have laws? Is that what you're saying? It's irrational of me of to take notice of this?

5. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 10 years ago

With a very few exceptions, all I see in this thread is Christians saying that atheists attack them, and then Christians proceeding to attack the atheists.

Except Emile, that is, who says she's not insulting then insults in the very next sentence.

With the exception of ATM... who is being his normal charming self... The only mud is being flung by the Christians... oh, and the semi-quasi-agnostic-leaning-christian-apologist, who chose her philosophy, I think, just so she could argue with herself when no one else was available.

Again, defensiveness is unattractive... and counter-attacking when there was no attack in the first place is aggressive... which is also unattractive.

I agree with the one poster (too lazy to go back and look which one) who basically said Christians need to learn the difference between an attack on their beliefs and a personal attack.  My beliefs have indeed been called all sorts of things on here. Stupid, irrational, delusional etc. I've never been called those things though. Since I'm not my religion, it doesn't bother me. Now, I have been attacked personally by Christians... and on a few occasions a semi-quasi-agnostic-leaning-christian-apologist... Wonder why that is?

1. JMcFarland profile image70
      JMcFarlandposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000

2. profile image0

Well, I don't know of anything I have ever done on this site that you don't attempt to find fault with so, I suppose it is business as usual. I guess it would make sense that such  behavior patterns are not perceived as negative by you, since you engage in them almost every moment you post.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And thus, my point is made.

Thank you Emilie.

6. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 10 years ago

I've read some very strongly worded attacks against incredibly praise worthy acts by professed Christians on this forum recently. Wording that, if directed at atheism in general, would bring a well deserved barrage of criticism for being unaccepting of alternative views.

This is how the thread started. This has nothing to do with how the thread has gone. I was simply flabbergasted at the vitriol thrown out on a thread that simply pointed out the good works of a very admirable young woman. Vitriol that would not have been directed at any one else attempting to do good works. She was marginalized simply because her beliefs don't fall in line with the beliefs of others. Don't blame me for the constant whining and attempts to pull it off of the opening remark. And, yes Melissa; you are consistently haughty and negative.You spam a thread with remarks that are completely off topic.  You attempt to imply that you should somehow be listened to as an authority and when you aren't you cry foul. Sorry you want to make others miserable. It doesn't work on me. I see it for exactly what it is.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And again.

1. profile image0

lol lol lol

No, her book states emphatically that she moved to Africa to start a Missionary and spread the word of the gospel. In light of what other Missionaries have done to destroy the cultures of others in foreign countries, we have every right to criticize that action.

1. profile image0

Yes. Taking in children and giving them a home is such a heinous act. Grab the torches and pitchforks. We's gonna have ourselves a lynching.

ATM. I haven't read the book and don't care what she thinks. Her actions are to be commended. Our media has done more damage to other cultures in our lifetime than Christianity could hope to accomplish. You are chasing shadows.

Yes, I know. That's the problem.

1. profile image0

No. It isn't the problem. It isn't what we believe which matters. It is what we do. How we attempt to make the world a better place. I do sympathize with your inability to overcome prejudice. I can't empathize.

Setting up missionaries to spread the gospel does not make the world a better place, quite the contrary.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)