Help With My New Blog

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (24 posts)
  1. susi10 profile image95
    susi10posted 10 years ago

Hi everyone!  smile
    In addition to my hubs and writing hubs I also want to start a new blog and build a number of posts there. As I'm new to the blogging world, I would just like some tips or advice on how I would gain traffic. I am not going to link to it here but it is on the website link on my profile page. You could take a look at it and please tell me what you would add, change etc.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to your responses! smile

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi susi10, I looked at your blog and I have had a blog for a year. Now I have not got experience because I do not have members. I did notice through advice that I read, and saw on other blogs, it is good to have gadgets like 'Followers', 'Share on Facebook or Tweeter', 'Blog & Forum List', and a list of 'Labels'. I added them one at a time as I found out about them. Plus, after seeing your blog, I just changed my template. Before I started it I was following, and I still am following, a forum called Blogging on About.com.

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Examiner is right. You need to add your social media buttons other than the ones provided with Blogger, your Google profile gadget and the Follow gadget.

My recipe blog (caroleesbestrecipes.com)  is very successful. You can have a look at it through my profile page and get some ideas. Ask me any questions you want and I also assist with customizing Blogger blogs to look like websites.

I love what I see so far. Very good!

susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for your fantastic advice, Cardisa! I've added the social media gadget and I am adding the Follow gadget also.

Wow, your recipe blog is absolutely amazing, it looks like a fully fledged website, well done! I have gotten some ideas from your blog (I love the idea of the live traffic feed!) and I will be writing more posts today.

I just have one question: How long does it take to get a blog such as yours to such a standard that it gets continuous traffic every day?

It takes a while but with continuous post and updates you go faster. This blog is a little over a year old and when it was new it took a while to pick up traffic. Give your blog around six months. Make sure your blog title and description are keyword friendly.
            For example:
            Authentic Jamaican Recipes was chosen specifically for that keyword.
            Caroleesbestrecipes.com uses best recipes as it's URL keywords
            My description also has relevant keywords.

You must also utilize Google Adsense Scorecard to optimize your blog. It is found on your homepage of your Adsense account. It will tell you when something is wrong, what kinds of ads to use and how to fix your blog to make more money.

Looks something like this:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8470692_f248.jpg

2. The Examiner-1 profile image59

A better question might be 'Is she paying for her host?'

It's a blogger blog which I customized by editing the HTML. The domain name cost me less than $7 for the year. As a matter of fact I own several domain names which I got on sale.

So the answer to that would be no, that recipe site is hosted by blogger.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59

I did not see the recipe blog. Since it did not mention 'blog' in it I did not look at it, sorry. It is impressive. I only looked at the 'healthsmart' blog.

My health smart blog is also a blogger site which I customized. This template allowed me to remove the credits so it looks nothing like a blog, except if you look closely at the article feed you will realize it.

2. susi10 profile image95

Yes, I was wondering you achieved the drop down menus at the top of the page as it is not possible in blogger, however, it is possible through HTML. I would love to make a drop down menu, is there any way I could do so?

You would have to edit the HTML for the template. What I did was get a free custom template then edit it. I could assist with that, for free it you like. I am not sure I can tutor you but I will try to record the steps.

This is one of the other blogs I did that don't belong to me.

(martind28acousticguitar.blogspot.com)

OK, thanks Cardisa! I'll try to find a HTML template which will include a dropdown menu of some sort. Also I have one more question; How many posts do I have to write until I will see a constant stream of traffic, would I have to write 100 or 150? The blog that you helped out with looks great, by the way, so professionally done!

2. zeusspeak profile image68
    zeusspeakposted 10 years ago

Over time, you will naturally gain some sort of following, and some of them will read and comment on your articles. Write some more useful tips and ideas.
    All the best

Hi zeusspeak!
      Thank you for your thoughts and advice, what you have said is reassuring, I do hope I will get a following soon.

3. rainsanmartin profile image85
    rainsanmartinposted 10 years ago

The site looks nice. Over time as you create new blog posts you can sort them into categories such as Lifehack.org does.  Examples would be Astronomy, Life Science, Technology. Overtime if this seems too overwhelming you may wish to switch to a more specialized focus such as Astronomy.

4. profile image0
    epsonok0posted 10 years ago

Do exactly what they teach on HP try to put your blog entries together and to format them in an appealing fashion. I do that for my blog under a different user name and I receive about 1100 visitors a week to it. Not to bad for a google blog. Over time like others mentioned you will gain a following and if you promote your "brand" as it were you can gain even more. Make a favicon (the little pic next to the websites name on your browsers tab) And be sure to adjust themes and settings to something flashy and stylish you dont want white and black with some navigation buttons. My dentists website is not even that boring. I will try to visit your blog, I love blogs and have been to many. Great job on branching out.

5. profile image0
    epsonok0posted 10 years ago

I went to your blog. Awesome and formatted so nice. I will be keeping up with that and may have my friend who owns a blog there +1 your blog to his followers. He has several thousand loyal readers. I will give him a call now to do that for your when he gets a chance.

Thank you epsonok0, so much! I'm absolutely delighted and I cannot express my gratitude, thank you! big_smile

I will keep up writing on it daily and I will do all your tips and advice. I have began making an animated favicon for my blog so that should make it more interesting.

Thanks again for everything! smile

1. profile image0
        epsonok0posted 10 years agoin reply to this

any time.

6. profile image62
    mike_online08posted 10 years ago

If you are planning to have high traffic with your blog, start learning H tags. there are a lot of tutorials about using tags to improve On page SEO. I also agree with other comments mentioned here, social media buttons will greatly help you get traffic. If you need help, dont hesitate to ask me. I' am a freelancer for blog owners which is why i know a lot about getting traffic to your blog.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)