My Fellow Hubbers Decieved Me

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (37 posts)
  1. PoeticPhilosophy profile image78
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years ago

I asked a long time ago, 2 times actually, if I had my amazon program set-up properly. I was leery about it, because I bring in fantastic traffic and could not come to grips with why I was not getting sales..

After 5 months of being here, and now seeing a question about it right at my face, I knew it was time to confront this flaw. I emailed the amazon program and they say because I have "Other-Clicks", which I have asked about on hubpages, means 3 different things and probably means... My capsules aren't set up right.

Well great, I could probably have had 100-200 dollars, whatever my profit from it is, and have had it actually set up "right", if my fellow hubbers didn't deceive me.

Maybe it wasn't intentional... Maybe they did not know... But I know I have a "dangerous-clique", who is all over me.

Ahhhhh, the pain, the suffering, now I know I lost out on hundreds of dollars... I'm now going with the ebay program.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What did Amazon say exactly?  You will often get rubbish answers from Amazon because the program works differently on HubPages - and their answers always refer to how their programs work on a blog.

Setting up Amazon on HubPage is child's play and I very much doubt you got it wrong.  Here are the instructions:
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/crea … te-account

If you've done that, you must NOT use your affiliate ID in the capsules, you just link to Amazon products using the ASIN number of the product, by searching for keywords.

However, be that as it may, it's perfectly possible to get thousands of views and no Amazon or eBay sales.  You earn nothing on Amazon and ebay unless readers actually buy something.  You get nothing for clicks.  So if you don't persuade the reader they absolutely have to buy what's in that capsule, you'll make no money. 

Looking at your Hubs, you just paste in capsules without referring to them.  You don't do anything to make the reader want to buy that product.  That's why you're not earning from them, so eBay won't do any better.

1. tillsontitan profile image84
        tillsontitanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

After two years on HP with lots of reads and clicks I have yet to make any money on my Amazon links.  Guess it's not meant to be!

PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear.

2. PoeticPhilosophy profile image78

Thanks Marisa. They responded saying my links are "formatted for another account other than the one you are writing from", which I don't see how that's possible but.. I can say all I have done with amazon capsules is, copy-paste a URL from the product page into the hub-amazon-capsules... So I was never quite sure if I had done it right.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When you copy-paste the URL, are you logged into Amazon or not logged in?   

Sometimes if you look at the URL of a product on Amazon, it won't be a neat, simple URL - it may have a whole jumble of other stuff, e.g. your affiliate ID if you're logged in, or other trackers.  You don't want that kind of URL!   I find it much safer to scroll down and look for the ASIN.  Copy-paste that instead. 

As Wry says, the "other clicks" just means that people are going to Amazon, but they're not buying the product you featured.  Instead, they're browsing around other products.  That proves what I said - that you're not doing enough to persuade your readers to buy the product you're featuring. 

I'd say it's most likely your account is properly set up and your capsules are properly set up too.  What's wrong is your choice of products and placement of the Amazon capsule within your Hubs.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Here's some advice I read online which might help you,

What is success, Is it making millions? Is it the persona you carry?

Not at all..

Although those are traits in success, people often mistake success and have an illusion in their mind of what it is which makes them not often achieve this plateau.

lol.. wrong set-up of amazon has nothing to do with success.. but I like the bite.

2. epsonoko profile image58
    epsonokoposted 10 years ago

This is an attempt to flame and then get sympathy views marisa. That is all. LOL the "clique" has no purpose in a question about amazon earnings. And the whole forum post is an attempt to troll for views.

1. JG11Bravo profile image72
      JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Seems to be working, too.

1. epsonoko profile image58
        epsonokoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Its so sad to see. Some cant help but be helpful. Marissa is helpful and went and had a look at the profile of the OP. Oh my, what a game some play. LOL

2. PoeticPhilosophy profile image78

Don't believe everything you read.

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I have to say I fail to understand how your capsules not being set up correctly would be anyone else's fault but your own Poetic.  I'm not trying to be mean, but if you suspect something is wrong or didn't know how to set it up properly, it is your responsibility to ask an HP staff member for assistance. 

That being said, I live in a state where we don't have Amazon available, but I have heard from others that it is usually much more lucrative than eBay, especially since October when eBay changed their program and now we no longer make money for clicks and there is a 24 hour cookie in place.  If you can use Amazon - I would suggest you stay with them.  It is not my fault however if you don't make money wink

I highly doubt you'd have made 100 to 200 dollars anyway unless you're an amazing salesperson in your hubs.  I've yet to make $200 with eBay here and I've been here for over 2 years.  Granted, I haven't been trying all that hard with them either though because I never had much faith in that program. It was simply the only option available.

Thanks for the insight. I know it's no-ones fault, I said I asked for advice and it turns out my amazon capsules were set-up wrong! So it was a contemplation because of all the incidents I had with "trolls".

Anyways, I stated at the bottom, maybe it wasn't intentional. as-in, maybe it's not their fault. But thanks! If I fix the problem I'll probably stick with them.

4. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

It takes a while as a newbie to set up programs and learn the ropes. I remember making lots of mistakes and then correcting them. That is the process of learning. Other people may help, but you are the person who must take responsibility. I am sorry this happened, but maybe it is a learning experience.

Yeah, I'm going to fix the problem now, haha. Thanks.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Can you describe just what you are changing in the capsules to make them right?

Or are you re-configuring your amazon affiliate settings because you did THAT wrong?

Settings aren't wrong... I guess I was suppose to do a little dazzling to whatever link I needed to use "on" my amazon account and then use that..

Instead, I just copied a link "offline" of my amazon account, and pasted it in hubpages.... I guess that was wrong? Still don't know.

5. epsonoko profile image58
    epsonokoposted 10 years ago

why do I always cringe when replying to threads like this? Oh, I know, because they often lead to heated debate about some subject only vaguely connected to the central idea and then people get their feelings hurt and moderators step in and people have account closures and wild accusations. That all can realistically be derived from this posting and yet no one agrees that this post is trolling. Amazing. The power of perception is apparently not a human trait that is common in most humans. I am sorry to hear that your amazon account was messed up, is that what you want to hear phill?
    Do you want people to sympathize with you? Or is it that your views are down and you come in here to drum up some kind of recharge to your account.
    I know I am not off in this assumption.

1. cheaptrick profile image74
      cheaptrickposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Tough love,hard charging,and to the point...also Banned from Hub Pages.Even I with my bizarre,outlandish,outrageous posts haven't been banned...Ahhh,the world of hub writing is harder to understand than string theory....

6. sprickita profile image61
    sprickitaposted 10 years ago

I agree with christin in that its rather silly and sorta mean to post that fellow hubbers did u wrong? but I do hope u get it worked out good luck!

1. epsonoko profile image58
      epsonokoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LoL that is what trolls do they become Inebriated by the exuberance of their own verbosity.

1. Jean Bakula profile image90
        Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

relache,
        I love the way you get to the point. We all had to learn on this site, like any other one. It's not like we can go into another person's computer and fix all their problems.

7. WryLilt profile image90
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

If you have inserted the correct YOURTRACKER-08 into the earnings page, ALL Amazon capsules you insert in your hubs will contain that tracker 60% of the time.

You can get hundreds of clicks and no sales. This is common informational hubs. To get sales, you need to either provide a good reason why the visitor should buy, or write sales hubs.

Creative writing gets little traffic, less PPC earnings and very rarely earns from Amazon.

If you visited an article about "Ten blogging tips" would you buy a book on blogging tips? Or would you just read it and go elsewhere? Now think about if you searched for an article on "Top ten vacuum cleaners"... you'd be a lot more likely to be in the market, right?

Haha good point. I'm not sure if I put anything under my "tracker" is it's formed into my hubpages account.. so I thought.

All I have done is go to a product I want to place on my hub, copy-paste the link into the capsule, and then it turns into an ASIN or whatever it is called.

So... I hope I have it all solved.

Thank you for the tips and info!

1. WryLilt profile image90
        WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If your tracker isn't on your earnings page, clicks won't register at all. If clicks are registering, it's been set up correctly.

Yes, my amazon is registered in hubpages and I receive "other-clicks" on the amazon associates site. Not "product-clicks". So I asked about it and apparently... somehow.. my account was "formatted on another account other than I am writing from".

1. WryLilt profile image90

Associates Help Central:

In the summary at the bottom of the report, you may see a number of "Other Clicks." These are clicks from other link types, including links to the home page, links to search results, recommended product links, and links to the main landing page for each product category.

--In other words, people who click a product, then spend time browsing the site.

Ooooh, nice. Thanks.

8. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

Could you also fix the spelling of deceived too, please? It makes me feel uncomfortable seeing incorrect spelling on a writers' site. Good luck fixing your problem. smile

Meh, little error. I'll leave it. Thanks.

9. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Why do people even bother with this guy?

Read a few of his 'poems'.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I read a few Will.  Then I looked for some of yours.  I found one with Five Best but it didn't seem to rhyme with anything.

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The guy's a troll. It is possible that he started off as a genuine hubber. Now, he just has scores to settle.

He is doing it here and in his 'poetry'. Try reading his stuff carefully.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
          Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Funnily enough Will I see a real person.  But I'm not going down that road again. Caused enough trouble last time.

2. WryLilt profile image90

Looks real to me. And I answered his original question. So the thread should be wrapped now.

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lol. We have a new Queen. That will be a relief for Beth.

On a marginally more serious note. The original post was essentially a complaint about the members who hide out on Randy Godwin's 'forum'. If you want the context for this thread you will have to wade through some stuff over there.

p.s. surely little things like this raise a few doubts: 'Ahhhhh, the pain, the suffering, now I know I lost out on hundreds of dollars'

Not many people expect to be taken seriously when they say something like that. lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)