What's wrong with Koolaid?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (81 posts)
  1. JG11Bravo profile image72
    JG11Bravoposted 10 years ago

Seriously. I like Koolaid. Does that make me a bad person? It tastes alright, easy to make, cost-effective, and quite popular.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is someone here attacking koolaid!?! I want that account banned immediately!

JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Aha! Another member of my pro-beverage Crusade!

2. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think I'm the only person on the planet that does not like Kool-Aid. There I said it. *Runs for cover*

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't ever drink it either... just chemicals and sugar and the last time I did, it gave me some kind of heartburn which doesn't seem possible, but my friend said it happens to her too.

2. profile image0
        MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I just thought of a plus side to this...Now that I'm out of the, Dislikes-Kool-Aid-Closet, no one can ever accuse me of "drinking the Kool-Aid" just for the record folks! Har Har!

1. profile image0

It's not like you can prove it sir.

2. bBerean profile image59
          bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Plausibly still metaphorically applicable.  You can't escape that easily!

2. HollieT profile image79
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

I have no idea what CoolAid is, I'm British! Although I have noticed that the term is banded around quite a bit in the forums, presumably as an insult- but I have no idea why.

http://www.koolaid.com/

It's just flavored drink mix.

1. HollieT profile image79
        HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!

I think Beth37 has just given an explanation, in the 'look at me my writing's fantastic' thread, about what people mean when they say you've been on the Koolaid. Now, I follow. smile

1. profile image0

lol

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Blame the crazy cultists, not the beverage!!!!

2. GA Anderson profile image88
        GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL Almost right, must have been a brain freeze - It is from the Jonestown Mass Murder

The poison was put in the kool-aid and everyone voluntarily or were forced to drink it.

You had it right with the link - just must have been a moment from screen to keyboard

GA

3. HollieT profile image79
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

Aha, now I have explanation and historical context!

Thank you, Ladies! big_smile

4. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

LOL, well, seriously, the artificial color added most likely is what makes it bad, and too much sugar, if one adds sugar, but what would Kool-Aid be without sugar?

1. profile image0

pig hooves? or is that just jello?

Gelatin is made from animal bits. That's in Jello and many candies.

2. HollieT profile image79

Indeed, what would lattes, Ovaltine and Robinson's Barley Water drinks be without sugar. Some beverages just demand sugar!!

5. JG11Bravo profile image72

I don't know what those things are, but I agree in theory. Sugar is mandatory sometimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latte
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barley_water (This is also sold as a cordial, made by Robinsons)
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovaltine

I hadn't realised that it was only the British who referred to milky espresso as Latte. Honestly, you learn something new everyday. Btw, all three drinks have to contain sugar, imho.

2. tsadjatko profile image66
      tsadjatkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You mean they still use sugar in Koolaid? I'd figure they'd have been the first to use High Fructose Corn Syrup.

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
        MizBejabbersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The sweetened I've seen lately uses artificial sweeteners like splenda. I haven't seen a package of naturally sweetened Koolaid in years. I prefer to mix sugar in the unsweetened kind, but I usually don't drink it because it is mostly chemicals.

6. JG11Bravo profile image72

Somehow I totally missed latte when I read your prior post. That one I'm aware of, though I've never had one.

I'm completely addicted, I have to say. In fact, I'm drinking one right now and they are beautifully complimented by Jaffa cakes. Some like steak and a nice glass of red, I'm just a Jaffa cake and latte type of girl. lol.

I like my coffee black. Milk is a no no.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
          Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, 100% Colombian or Dark Roast.

-Applause-

7. JG11Bravo profile image72

How did I not notice that?

1. profile image0

You drank the kool aid.

Well-played, madam.  Well-played.

1. profile image0

lol

8. bBerean profile image59
    bBereanposted 10 years ago

It was actually Flavor Aid at Jonestown.  Not sure if overall the advertising has helped or hurt Kool-aid's brand.

I can't imagine it helped any.

2. profile image0

You drank the flavor aid, just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Agreed.

9. bBerean profile image59
    bBereanposted 10 years ago

I don't drink any of that stuff now, and never was a big kool-aid fan, (except to make popsicles, as a kid).  Back then I was more into Tang.  I mean, if it was good enough for the Astronauts...

1. profile image0

My mom was a health food nut. We had oj and that was about it. She grew her own sprouts, made her own yogurt... everything was whole wheat. I'd probably really appreciate that now.. .back then not so much.

1. bBerean profile image59

I love orange juice.  It has fallen to disfavor for high sugar content, but I still count it as health food.

1. profile image0

They make low sugar oj as well as low acid. I feel like Im at work now.

This will date me...I remember being very young and anxiously awaiting the arrival of the milk man so I could run out and purchase an orange drink they carried, under the label of "Beep".  Loved that stuff.  After most of the milk men quit running routes, it could still be procured from the drive through "Milk Barns".

1. profile image0

Holy cow... the milk man? That's the stuff of Happy Days.

Hey! In my defense, there are still milk men in some communities.  We could be talking about last week.  We're not...but we could be.  wink

1. profile image0

I think you're referring to ppl who milk their own cows. There couldn't possibly be a milk man left in 2013.

We're not allowed to wager here, are we?  big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)