Pinterest

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (45 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

I believe I asked this question, or at least part of it, in another forum post, but that is not where the thread began, and it probably got lost.  So, I'm starting a new thread.

I resisted Pinterest for about a year, after hearing all sorts of bad things about losing your copyright.  I have since read further, more detailed information, and have learned that those statements were taken out of context.  So, I've now taken the Pinterest block off my hubs, and signed up on the site.

That still leaves me with a few questions, however:

1)  I am confused as to whether you should or should not 'pin' any of your own articles.  Some have said, "No, don't do it," while others have touted it as another way to promote and gain traffic.

2)  While on the Pinterest site, how do you find out how many and even if any of your items have been 'pinned' or 're-pinned'?  I cannot seem to locate that information.

3)  Many, many of the 'cute cat pictures' I see and would love to share, are unfortunately on Face Book, which is "pin-proof."  Where else is everyone getting all the pictures they post???? 

4)  If you do 'pin' an article of your own, and the image happens to be from Wikimedia Commons, is that an allowed share?

5)  How do you find people to follow, (who will hopefully follow you back, as that is where your traffic increase would occur)?   I am loathe to let any site have access to my e-mail contacts list, which is what they want if you check "find friends."

Thanks in advance, everyone, for any help with these questions.

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I pin some of my own on my own boards in different categories such as art, photography or writing.   You will be notified in an email if someone comments or if someone starts following your boards.  Do a simple search for people to follow - say look for people who share the same interests.  I pin other people's pins onto my boards too.  Just have fun with it.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

DzyMsLzzy
      WryLilt wrote a couple of Hubs about Pinterest, here are the links:
      A) http://wrylilt.hubpages.com/hub/A-Simpl … To-Work-It
      B) http://wrylilt.hubpages.com/hub/How-to- … -Pinterest
      Number 1) - I am not sure about 'pinning' your own articles but I think it is okay to 'pin' your own photos.
      Number 2) - Place a keyword related to your photo into their search site and click enter.
      Number 3) - I get most of my photos from Wikimedia Commons. Some people use free photos from Google Images, others just look until they find free photos.
      Number 4) - I believe that is allowed as long as W. Commons does not have that particular photo under license.
      About number 5) - You may have to just search and decide for yourself and wait for others to come to you, but if you go to your profile page there are suggestions of other Hubbers who you might like to follow. Just click the page down two or three times while looking at the right side and then check them out.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Pinning your articles and images is the same thing. Your images link to your articles wink

Thanks for the links!

3. Kirsten Hart profile image42
      Kirsten Hartposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think the publicity on pinterest is a good thing. You never know who might pop over, and gain insight by reading one of your articles.

4. shai77 profile image82
      shai77posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi DzyMsLizzy,
      I always pin my articles. Why shouldn't i ?
      It is perfectly OK, and i get many re-pins for my articles as well.
      In the right corner near your name you will get notified about re-pins, and also via mail.
      There is no problem as far as i know with copyrights. Anyway started following you.
      Good luck!!!

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Pinning your own hubs is fine. Just don't do it exclusively. For every hub of mine I pin, I usually pin around 5 that are not mine.

Wander around the site and re-pin other folks pins you like. They will notice and respond accordingly. And Pinterest will tell you about it on your homepage when they do.

These days I probably spend less than an hour a week on that site. And I generally just mess around in the way the site wants me to. Any traffic it happens to generate is fine. If no traffic generated, that's fine, too.

Never use referral trackers. Pinterest gets highly excited about that. And not in a good way.

Just have fun with it. The rest will take care of itself in due course. smile

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

1)  I do it, but I pin articles off my other websites, and other people's websites a lot too. But 90% of my pins are not from me - people visit my hub, see the MFP and pin it directly to their own Pinterest account.

2)  The easiest way is to check the Pinterest icon on your hub. It will have a number beside it.

3)  You can pin to Facebook. Upload the image manually, then edit the pin and paste in the link. wink Always keep in mind that by uploading or pinning an image, you say you have the right to do so.

4)  No. As it links back to your article,NOT to the original creator, you cannot pin a creative commons image that requires attribution as this is not fair to the creator. I use sites like Morguefile, Pixabay, Graphic Leftovers and All-Free-Download for this reason.

5)  If you have traffic on your hubs, they will get pins from other people to other people's accounts anyway. As to number 1, 90% of my pins are not from my account.

DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, WryLilt,
        That clears up a lot of my confusion. 

As for Face Book, I was not referring to uploading to Face Book, but rather, the 'pinning' of images seen there.
      That's what I meant by FB being 'pin-proof.'  there are no 'pinning' tags, icons or options.  It seems you simply cannot pin things from FB to your Pinterest boards.

And I answered your Facebook question wink You can't pin directly FROM Facebook, but you can save the image to your computer, upload it to Pinterest, then insert the link to the original image manually smile

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60

Did you not say though that you can not copy images with words on them?

Why can't you pin images with words on them?

I thought that I read in one of your Hubs that was almost like having them 'stolen'. Perhaps I remember wrong.

No, having an image on there stops people stealing them (to use on their own content). Having words on a picture means that the image looks out of place if it doesn't match their content exactly!

Having words on the picture related to YOUR article, encourages people to pin that image so they can revisit your article later smile

Oh. I did remember wrong. I totally mixed up two explanations. Thank you.

smile

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Oh--ok..I was confused by the way that was worded, since you had only said,
          "You can pin to Facebook. Upload the image manually, then edit the pin and paste in the link. wink Always keep in mind that by uploading or pinning an image, you say you have the right to do so."

...which seemed to only address an upload TO Facebook....and not copying/re-uploading.....

Oops sorry! Bad wording!

Ok--I just double-checked the Wikimedia Commons photo about which I inquired earlier.  The following message appears:

"I, the copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain. This applies worldwide.
      In some countries this may not be legally possible; if so:
      I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law."

So, I guess that particular image is 'pinnable,' eh?  wink

Yes, if it doesn't ask for attribution, that's fine smile

4. crazyhorsesghost profile image71
    crazyhorsesghostposted 10 years ago

You can go to pinterest and drag the pin it button to your address bar on Firefox. Then when you find a photo of your own or someone elses you want to pin just click that button on your browser address bar and it will pop up a page with the photos you can pin. If you click a photo on a page it will pin that photo to Pinterest from that page. Its that easy. And yes this way you can pin photos from Facebook.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8490709_f248.jpg

I circled the button above there to clarify what I am talking about.

I don't use Firefox anymore--I'm finding Google Chrome to be more stable. ..

You can do the same in Chrome.

Either through the Chrome web store: https://en.help.pinterest.com/entries/2 … add_button

Or by dragging the button into your favourites bar [Scroll down to where it says 'pin it button']: https://about.pinterest.com/goodies/

Thanks!  Got it!  ;-)

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

OK--here's one more question--I found a Hub Pages person on Pinterest, whom I would like to follow, but on her "P" page, I did not see any "follow" button except for one that said "follow all," which would seem to imply that I'd be following all 164 people from whom she's pinned...

I don't want to do that...blanket operations are not my thing.  How do I find the "follow her-only button?"  When I clicked on the "follow me on Pinterest" button on her Hub Pages profile, that "follow all" thing is the page it put me on.
    When I tried to find only her Pinterest profile ON Pinterest, it only showed me things that linked to her HP account, so I'm going in circles, here.

The "Follow All" button simply means follow ALL her boards smile You can follow just one board at a time if you prefer!

Oh, ok..thank you for clarifying that.

Ok--I'm still having trouble.  When I click someone's "follow me on Pinterest" button from their profile here on Hub Pages, it takes me to that generic page of ALL their boards, with the 'follow all' button.
        Nowhere, do I see where I have followed that person, or how to follow the PERSON once I am on Pinterest.   I'm not finding it very intuitive or user-friendly.  sad

1. Click on the "Pinterest" button on their profile.
          2. You'll be at their Pinterest profile. Click "Follow All" to follow all their boards [and any future ones they make], basically follow their whole account.
          3. Once you have clicked 'Follow All', the red button will turn grey and say 'Unfollow All'.
          4. To see who you're following/who follows you, click on your username (with the photo, top right) and then on "Your boards". This is your main profile page.
          There is a grey bar under your profile info and image here. It says:
          45 Boards/500 pins/32 likes/20 followers/20 following (for instance). Click on followers or following to see a list of those people.
          5. To see a chronological "newsfeed" of the pins of ALL the people you follow, click on the big "Pinterest" word in the top bar.

6. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Bumping the topic for another question/frustration.

I understand sharing is the name of the game.  I have created several boards, one of which is cat-themed.

I've gathered some followers, and more people who have not followed me, but have "re-pinned my pin" ..Unfortunately, 99% of them (now numbering in the high 30's), have all re-pinned the very same image of a pair of cats that I re-pinned from someone else!!!

Only 2 have pinned my stuff or even other things I've shared.  It's getting frustrating to the point that I'm tempted to delete that one image, much as I like it myself.

Other suggestions/options?

1. nArchuleta profile image74
      nArchuletaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's just the way it works. Most of my Rammstein images get repinned. I add my link to that, too as a "for more information..."
      I'd love to check out your cat pins. I have a cat board, too, called "Cat-tastic." I'm nArchuleta on Pinterest, too. Are you also DzyMsLizzy on Pinterest?

I show up under my real name, but DzyMsLizzy also shows up...odd.
        Look for Liz Elias.  I'll look for you and follow.  Thanks for the info.

When you start doing MFPs I will repin all of them.

I have a few MFPs....most are ones where I've had to re-edit an existing photo.
            But, how do you tell?  Just that a photo has words inserted makes it "MFP" as I understand it....

No. Think of an MFP like a book cover. It has a clear title and image that make me want to open the book and read more.

A quote or random words on an image will make people repin it, sometimes. But they won't make them click.

The words need to either tease (How I learned to drive using a cucumber and a butterfly) or promise (36 ways to cook with bananas).

2. nArchuleta profile image74
          nArchuletaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I started following your cat board, and I repinned a couple of your cat pins -- I repinned the "Toes!" one twice!

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Next question:  I have created several boards, and pinned some of my hubs. 

A few of my articles overlap topic categories.  Are we allowed to pin the same thing to more than one board?

Yes.

cool

8. barryrutherford profile image76
    barryrutherfordposted 10 years ago

One of the benefits I find of Pinterest besides gloating over glossy pics is you get some idea of the current trends and what people are interested in... You can then decide whether to write about them

That, I suppose, is a good point.  Unfortunately, I've always rather marched to my own drummer, and tend to be very out-of-sync with "trends."  If I like something/find it interesting/worth my time to research and write about, chances are, no one else is interested.  Very frustrating..

9. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Bumping this thread, with another couple of questions on this Pinterest stuff...

1)  On the page that shows the people who are following you, what does it mean, when some of them have a check mark in a gray circle at the upper right of their image? 

2)  How do you get rid of a "follower" that somehow just appeared, and appears to be a strictly commercial/promotional page?  I have not followed them, nor pinned anything from them (that I am aware of), yet all of a sudden, this "webnen network" is on my page of those following me.  When I checked out their page, the English usage/structure is very poor...apparently an out-of-country site.
    Another such commercial "follower" is "vostit video email."  The reason I don't want those there, is that I am not into promoting commercial products, and do not want others to think that I somehow endorsed these things....

3)  When you choose to follow someone, but do not want to follow all their topics, it does not seem to work if you just check some of their items to follow--they then do not show up in your list of people you are following.  For some, yes, I can check "follow all," then un-check the items that do not interest me.  But for others, they have soooo many boards, that it would take half the day to view and un-check them all (r most all)....

4) Is it possible to move pins from one board to another?

Thank you all once again.

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I recently had one of those promotional things come up on Pinterest and I received an email from them saying that my pages may have been compromised - it resulted in my having to change my password.  Pinterest got rid of the person themselves.

Hmm...I've gotten no e-mails from Pinterest about either of those "followers."  The second one I mentioned was the first one that showed up; it's way down my page by now, so I had forgotten what it was...had to go searching.

10. Shyron E Shenko profile image68
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years ago

On question no. 4. Wikimedia is in MOST instance is allowed share. But they do tell you who to give credit to.

Question no 5. I usually follow people who follow me if I have read and like their hubs.
    I don't think (not sure about this) fb has access to your contact list when you check find friends.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)