Why do Some Believers are Bad People?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (65 posts)
  1. jainismus profile image73
    jainismusposted 10 years ago

Why do a large number of religious people who believe in God behave like evils? Why they are greedy, jealous, haters, angry and even criminals?

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

While not all religious people are bad some are. There may be a few reasons for this.

1. Human nature.
      2. They don't really believe in an afterlife, they just pretend they do.
      3. Sometimes biblical ethics can stunt moral/ethical maturity which leaves them at the "avoid punishment" phase rather than maturing to understand why one shouldn't harm others.

Sometimes I believe it's a combination of all of the above. One of the first things we are taught about God is that he is always watching and always judging (same as with Santa). But what happens if in the back of ones mind one starts to question if God exist. One suddenly realizes no one is watching or judging and if they are left with moral maturity they do anything they want.

IMHO

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Rad, this is a great answer...and I think there is a lot if truth to it.  Sadly, many believers will be offended by it just because it came from an atheist, but it's really nothing more than plain, unvarnished truth.

1. profile image0

I know, but I did put a disclaimer in the first sentence as to not offend everyone. BTW, I try not to offend, but these conversations can't happen without it.

1. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The minute someone hears an opinion from a person who holds a different fundamental view of life than they do, they are prepared to fight...even when they agree.  We always run into it in religious discussions.  I've run into it as regards politics as well, especially here...and it works both ways.  Sometimes just staying that you disagree with someone is enough for them to label you the " other."

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is what scriptures teaches it's followers. You'll find that those who follow their scriptures closely behave as you describe, while those who say they are religious but usually don't follow scriptures behave much better. You'll find ample examples of that right here on these forums.

2. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I can speak very directly for me. Perhaps that will help understand others. I am just a bad man sometimes. I do apologize. I try not to be a hypocrite. But I know that I am one at times.

To be really frank, I am one who tries really hard not to be a bad man. But I still fail. I have both moral maturity (as Rad Man speaks of) and I suppose I have some fear to motivate me. Mostly I try to do good from a selfish point of view. It makes me feel better than doing bad.

I simply have no excuse for acting poorly toward my fellow man.

The easiest thing for me to say would be that I am born a sinner and so it is natural that I do bad and only through God's Grace that I overcome that. And even if I somewhat believe that I cannot rest on that idea. It sounds like an excuse and almost a license to act badly.

Here is some good news. As I mature I truly believe that I am being bad less of the time. Mostly as Rad Man points out that is because I am getting better at discerning right and wrong and growing in discipline to conform to the goal.

Here is a very hard part: Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I have to try to rebuke evil but it is very hard when you know that you in fact also do evil.

I hope that this gives some insight. And I hope that I make it clear that there is no excuses and no real reason as a whole. I swear that I really try not to do harm, but I still do.
    Here is some good and bad news. I am a teacher and preacher. The bad news is when people see me act poorly then it reflects on Christians much more severely. The good part about that is that it allows others to see that we are after progress and not perfection.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

No, the bad part is that you are a preacher, which is what shows you to not only be a hypocrite, but shows that you are spreading the bad things that religions teach.

Just stop preaching and all will be good with yourself and everyone else around you. smile

1. Ericdierker profile image46
        Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ATM I never preach at you. You are my very sensitive little atheist teddy bear.

But, you are a self-professed preacher, and if you ever have to wonder whatever bad things you believe are inherent of you, that is first and foremost.

As often is the case your cryptic response leaves nothing to even think about.

Or, more likely, you will just go on preaching, pissing everyone off as a result.

ATM have you ever played golf or gone fishing with a doctor? Even though he did not give you a medical opinion, Did you cuss him the whole time for being a doctor?
                Probably not because no doctor would invite you. See I am being harsh for your own good.

You are presenting a false scenario, doctors are not preachers who spread the gospel regardless if people don't want to hear it. Being a preacher is a completely selfish act, it has nothing to do with anyone else but the preacher.

1. profile image0
                    Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You need to learn this phrase, "In my opinion..."

Really?
                    Your hate just oozes from the words you write. I think that you answer this question very well by the path I have led you down. Doing bad is not a religious thing. It is just a bad thing that does not trace back to one's religious devotion.
                    You see sometimes us preachers help others to understand, and I admit it is very selfish. I do not debate with you to convert you, but rather so that others can see our differences.
                    God Bless you ATM.

2. profile image0

The problem is with the word sin. I don't think it's a valid representation of wether one is a good person or not. I think that if we all focused on being better people and not worrying so much about church or work on Sunday we'd have a better place. So what if I work on Sunday, perhaps I take Saturday off instead. These type of sins are completely meaningless and serve only to distract from the good that people do. Example, I just had a phone call from a very valid charity. She asked me if I'd go door to door in my area and ask for donations. I asked her if she was volunteering her time and she eventually replied no. So she wants me to go door to door to pay her salary. I wonder if she is at church on Sunday morning.

Somewhere there is a Father Sarducci bit on big sin and little sin. Too Too funny.
        That is just too weird --- someone getting paid to go door to door. Oh well I will still get them lemonade and a seat in the shade.

1. profile image0

No no no. She wanted me to volunteer my time to ask others for money to pay her salary.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, yes.  How else can she justify her time spent asking people to beg if they don't produce money to pay her to ask people to beg?

Sadly, that is the way of most charities.  And why I still look for the red buckets with a bell ringing this time of year.

I am sorry but now that really cracks me up. I know I should be praying for her, but that one is just to silly.
            OTOH I think Mary Magdeline gives some precedent for such behavior. Just saying ;-)

2. MizBejabbers profile image87
        MizBejabbersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Rad, i think that sin is in the eye of the beholder. As long as a person follows the 10 commandments he or she won't be harming his fellow man. Whether he works on Sunday or goes dancing on Saturday night is only sinning in the eyes of certain beholders, of which one is predisposed to ignore. By the way the 10 commandments didn't originate in the bible, despite the story of Moses, so one doesn't have to be a Christian to follow them.

1. profile image0

Actually, sin is taught, so the eye of the beholder stuff is irrelevant. It a means to control people a few thousand years ago. We have laws in place now, none of them have anything to do with working on Sunday.

Oops Rad Man -- many laws have to do with working on Sunday. Most Unions have contracts regarding same. Many states and counties still prohibit booze sales for much or part of Sunday.
            (I do not know exactly how the NFL deals with it) Last I checked --- very few government offices or services are open or available on Sunday. Guess what Sunday is a day off in Communist Vietnam.

1. profile image0

Sure, but go get gas or go out to eat. That's where all the part timers are. There is alway someone working or else most crimes would happen on Sunday or no cops would be on duty. Do we tell the police they are sinful for saving our lives on a Sunday? Are there no Communist Vietnamese police on duty on Sunday? Do the hospitals shut down on Sunday and leave all the emergencies and patients waiting for Monday?

3. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

What a good answer Eric.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)