I'm six months sober today...

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    kylesandersonposted 10 years ago

... and I thought you all should know it.

1. Cardisa profile image86
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congrats! and good luck for the future smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I add my  congratulations and support-- keep us posted.

2. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You the man! Though I know AA would tell you to be increasingly humble so as to remain so... but still, good on you. God bless.

3. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations! This is awesome news. I'm thrilled for you. I imagine you'll have some challenges ahead, but by now you've got a good grip on how to handle them. Yea!

4. sparkster profile image85
      sparksterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A significant milestone. Congratulations!

5. loveofnight profile image74
      loveofnightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This reminds me of a kids story called "The Little Engine That Could". All of the other bigger engines saw this little engine as someone who could not handle the job ahead. But when the little engine was placed in the position to deliver the goods because the other engines were not capable The Little Engine took his load and started pulling it up the hill. He doubted himself and as he pulled he kept saying I think I can, I think I can, Until it turned to I know I can, I know I can and in the end he delivered the goods and all of the other bigger engines who doubted him had to give him his props. I don't know you but I am proud of you, this is truly a milestone. Keep reaching for the stars.

1. JG11Bravo profile image72
        JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have to throw my congratulations in the ring as well.  Six months is the hardest milestone to hit, in my experience.  I'm working on five years sober now, and I remember not long after the six month mark noticing just how much healthier I felt, so hopefully you'll have that to look forward to!

Seriously, well-done.  If you need ANY support, don't hesitate to ask.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
          Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congrats to you too dear JG11Bravo!!!  That is awesome as well.  One day at a time.  So wonderful to offer support if needed ... as that is how it works.  Bless you

2. profile image0
          kylesandersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, five years. That's very impressive. It's so very difficult. Did you have the difficulties with things like eating at restaurants? I couldn't even enjoy my food as much.

I did at first, that's for sure.  For the first few months I didn't set foot in any place that served alcohol if I could avoid it, which put a major dent in my dining options, but it does get better.  For me at least, it got to the point where I just stopped thinking about it altogether.

1. profile image0

Excellent. That's good to know. Thanks.

No problem at all, I'm more than happy to help in any way I can.

6. profile image0
      Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

One day at a time, brother. wink

7. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When your emotional highs get too high and your emotional lows get too low, remember:  You don't have to pick up, no matter what.  The wonderful thing about our emotions is that they have a tendency to correct themselves over time.  What seems overwhelming today will probably seem less so tomorrow.

Oh, yes.  Congratulations!

8. erinshelby profile image71
      erinshelbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Enjoy this day. Good for you.

9. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations to you!  What you accomplished took a great deal of courage.  You are a hero and will accomplish even greater things in your life.

10. galleryofgrace profile image70
      galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations. You have an awesome  future ahead. There are thousands that are proud of you for your hard work.

11. prospectboy profile image87
      prospectboyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations! You should definitely be proud of yourself.

2. profile image0

Hey thanks!

3. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Kyle, that makes my heart so full of happiness and hope for you.  My son, who is only 25, has been sober six years, right before his three children were born.  He is a wonderful dad.  Thank you for sharing your wonderful news with us!  God bless you.  Faith Reaper

1. profile image0

Ah! I'm 25, haha!

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

haha ... I just realized that you even look like him, especially wearing your glasses and he has just started to grow facial hair too.  Oh, his middle name is Kyle!  He also rights poetry too and paints.  Congrats again and many more ... as they say ... one day at a time!  Hugs

1. profile image0

Sounds like an exceptional guy smile. Thanks.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

Congratulations! Keep it up. I will bet that the world looks quite a bit better.

1. profile image0

Sometimes. It certainly is significantly more clear.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good answer.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
        The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is great. Just think to yourself, "I will see a little more clear each day".

5. Panda1967 profile image59
    Panda1967posted 10 years ago

That is awesome. Keep up the good job. If you need to talk put it out there and we will help you.

6. Gail Meyers profile image64
    Gail Meyersposted 10 years ago

Congratulations!

7. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Congratulations! One day at a time as you reach many more milestones.

8. Cgenaea profile image60
    Cgenaeaposted 10 years ago

Congratulations!!! smile

9. profile image0

Wow. Thanks everyone. How kind everyone is on HPs.

10. kschimmel profile image72
    kschimmelposted 10 years ago

Thanks for sharing this wonderful milestone with us! Stay on track--it is worth the effort for you and for those who love you.  Great job!

11. schoolmarm76 profile image56
    schoolmarm76posted 10 years ago

Congrats, One day at a time.  Lots of support even when you think you don't need it.

12. Debhsmomof4 profile image66
    Debhsmomof4posted 10 years ago

That's great! Congratulations!!!

13. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years ago

Many hugs and congratulations to you, Kyle. This is not an easy thing to accomplish and are doing great ! You have my support and friendship.

14. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

Congratulations, Kyle, and all the best wishes for continued growth as you reclaim your beautiful self!

15. IDONO profile image59
    IDONOposted 10 years ago

Congrats, Kyle.  I'm very close to hitting the 3 year mark, and many are right. It does get easier. We just can't forget that no matter how long we are sober that we are still only one drink away. Everyday I look at myself as the new guy in sobriety. This keeps me grounded and doesn't allow me to become complacent about what I need to do to continue a sober life. 6 months is a lot of "one day at a times". And that's how it will continue; one day at a time.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And congratulations to you too, IDONO!

smile

16. Mahir Maric profile image59
    Mahir Maricposted 10 years ago

Congratulations on that and keep going on the journey to the dreams of your life

17. musclequest profile image60
    musclequestposted 10 years ago

Your 6 months in control of you life . Awesome job.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)