Misspelled word in hub url

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (47 posts)
  1. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I heard that urls are permanent. To my chagrin, I just noticed a misspelled word in one of my hub urls as I was surfing stats in GA. How bad is this? Well, what makes it worse is that it's my hub about Women's Public Restrooms. Unfortunately, in the url, instead of "public" it says "pubic." GOT darn it!
    So how bad is this? hmm Really. Go ahead. Laugh. It is rather funny. (neutral sigh)

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You might get a whole bunch of traffic you hadn't intended. You might have to deny a lot of comments. lol

jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh Lord. It's not a new hub though. Traffic trickles in okay. (Trickles?) I just wonder what searchers thought if they noticed. Does the url draw traffic or just the title?

1. profile image0

I hope you're not asking me that. I know where the "on/off" switch is on my comp. and that's about as technical as I get.

LOL!

2. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jan. Yes, URLs make a difference – to search engines and to searchers.

Since the Hub is not exactly getting stellar traffic right now, if I were you I would unpublish it, remove the cache from Google and Bing, and then republish it about a week later under a new URL.  Use the time before republishing it to do new keyword research to see what searchers are looking for now.  Definitely use the keywords in the URL and keep the URL as short as possible using just the keyword phrase you are targeting. Totally rewrite your summary as a correctly optimizing Description Tag.  Only use titles for text capsules that include your main and subordinate targeted keyword phrases. From what you say about the traffic to that Hub now, you have nothing to lose, a reason to change, and everything to gain.

Oh Jeeeeez, Writer Fox. roll I don't know how to remove a cache! What?! Okay, I trust your judgment. Looks like I have tons of work to do. Let me see what others say.

1. Writer Fox profile image31

If you decide to unpublish your Hub, here's how to remove the cache:

https://support.google.com/legal/troubl … 14905?rd=2
          (click inside the circle which says 'Web Search', then scroll down the page and click inside the circle which says 'A piece of content I am concerned about has already been removed by the webmaster but still appears among the search results.' Then, click on the link 'this tool.' You'll then be asked to sign in and then to enter the page URL and, if the page is still live, a word from the outdated cache page that you want to remove.

To remove the cache of your Hubs on Bing/Yahoo:
          http://www.bing.com/webmaster/help/bing … l-cb6c294d

It can take 24 – 48 hours for the removal process.

The reason you want to do that is so that your new Hub does not appear to be duplicate content.

Okay, yup, will do.

2. starme77 profile image76
            starme77posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nice smile Good info , Thanks smile I could use that on a few of my messed up urls too haha smile

2. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Im still loling. That's just too funny Jan.

Me, too. At myself. big_smile

3. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 10 years ago

Try saving all of your info, delete the wrong URL and start a new one with the right spelling. Otherwise, I don't think it will matter that much.

4. word55 profile image70

delete the whole hub and start over. It may take a day for the hub to delete that's why you save the body in a word processor or where it came from.

Thanks, word55, but I think I'll consider unpublishing rather than deleting. A url cannot be deleted. Also, With edits and updates to the hub, it's not saved in Word. The hub is several months old and has seen a lot of edits within the hubtool.

1. Writer Fox profile image31

Jan, just copy your Hub as it appears now and paste it into a Word document.  I do that all the time! Save your pictures again to your computer.  If it would be easier for you, you can always start the new Hub and just save it as a draft until you have unpublished the original one, removed it from cache and waited about 5 - 7 days.  (The reason you must wait is so that it doesn't trip the HP filters for duplicate content.  But, if it does, just send them an email and they'll clear it for publication.)

That seems easy enough. I just need to get over my fear of techy language which sounds like Greek to me. Can you come over and do it for me? Just kidding. smile I will keep you posted, will get to it after the holidays.

2. Suzanne Day profile image94
        Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can also right click on the hub, choose Save Page As...and put it in a folder on your desktop. It saves the whole hub, pics, words, comments everything. I use it for backing up hubs.

Wow, thanks, Suzanne Day. Didn't know that.

2. ComfortB profile image84
          ComfortBposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good suggestion by Suzanne. I believer the "Save As" option is only possible through your File Menu below your browser, not by right-clicking on the hub itself. But be sure to 'save as' Text File Type (it goes in a Notepad/WordPad folder on your desktop), not Webpage.

Your images are already in your HP image folder, so you don't have to worry about that.

Thanks for your help, ComfortB. Yes, I do have all my images already.

2. Suzanne Day profile image94
            Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I prefer to save as web page, that way you have a complete backup of the hub for the future, regardless of Hubpages keeping your photos. Plus it looks better! The html web page will open in your browser and you can still copy/paste from it like word. Plus to get to retain all your formatting.

Just right click on the white space to the left or right of your hub and click "Save Page As..." May be different for different computers and browsers. I am on Firefox with Windows 7 on PC.

Thanks again, Suzanne.

2. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 10 years agoin reply to this

nice idea smile a bit quicker too smile

5. word55 profile image70

Oh, I didn't know that it was published already. U mean it's been misspelled all that time??? lol!

Lol, lol, lol, yes. hmm

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
        Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You know what, Jan? I have been thinking about this little error you made. Why not just leave it as it is and edit your first capsule paragraph by adding an explanation about the title/url?  If readers know that you are aware of the little mistake, and that you can laugh about it, they will not only appreciate the explanation, but may bring in more traffic by telling their friends/family about it. Just a suggestion.

Hmmmmm, that's intriguing Phyllis. What an interesting fix. I will definitely look into that suggestion. Thank you! smile

6. word55 profile image70

What a way to get publicity for it. I've gotta read it for myself now. At 1st, I didn't think about reading it because you it seemed to be for women only so, what the heck. I may as well read it. You've turned this into sit down comedy...

big_smile big_smile big_smile

7. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Hi Jan.  This sounds like a story you could write about a story. I misspelled something once. It was a URL, but I don't remember what happened. If anyone can fix this, it is Writer Fox. He has all the right answers. You are so good to admit this in the forum. It is funny but not to you right now. This will have a happy ending. Good luck to you.

Thanks, brakel2 for the kind words. Just one more thing to add to the full plate. It really is funny. I hope it doesn't cause anymore problems with my subdomain or traffic than it already may have. I'm not too worried, though. I will fix soon.

1. word55 profile image70
        word55posted 10 years agoin reply to this

janshares, I agree with LeanMan, I would leave it alone… I've changed or added to my hub titles after they were saved and published so, never worry about the url. You'll get the point across and be very successful. That's what counts...

8. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

I would leave it lol.... you may get a whole raft of traffic that you did not plan for...

But in all seriousness the URL is less important than the title of the hub, I have one also with the URL incorrect but have no plans to change it.

The issue you may run into is if there are already copies out there elsewhere. Make sure they are taken down before you republish or G will think you are the copy...

9. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

I read it. Great hub!  No one will ever know.

1. profile image0

Now there's a solution I could manage.

10. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I like your suggestions, Lean Man and word55. I know Writer Fox is right about a redo but the easy way out is looking good about now. I will enjoy the holidays then deal with it.

11. vocalcoach profile image92
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

LOL!  I'm sorry, laughing my head off - can't help it. Too funny smile

I know, me too, still laughing at myself, vocalcoach.

12. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 10 years ago

This is a wonderful story if you don't mind me saying. And what a great response from other hubbers who are technically on the ball - Writer Fox in particular - very helpful again - keeping the whole thing above board and not resorting to any toilet humour. I'm sure you'll do the right thing.....please let us know when your next hilarious story is about to surface!!!

Thanks, chef-de-jour, I certainly will. Maybe I'll go check all my urls right now.

Jan, you are delightful and fantastic. This is a fun thread to be in.

13. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

I doubt that anyone pays any attention to the actual URL of a hub. I'd be surprised to hear otherwise. I'd assume that people just care about the title and the summary. As long as the title is spelled correctly you are fine.

I so agree with lovebuglena. Jan, I would just let the hub be. This will become one of the communities memories of "golden moments" at the Hub in the bathroom -- oh ! I mean the BACK ROOM. ah hahahaha

2. janshares profile image93

Thanks lovebuglena. I was thinking the same since my eye caught it inadvertently after all these months. Ha ha, funny, Phyllis. You make me feel a lot better about this golden moment and letting it be, at least for the holidays.

14. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Well. At least traffic is still dribbling in - you're getting something of a stream of revenue.

Lol, Marcy, we will see. Hilarious!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)