Ignore/Blacklist Option in Forum

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

We have the option to blacklist certain hubbers from appearing on our hubs as "Others You May Like."  Is there a possibility that a similar feature can be added to the forum?  There are often contentious exchanges between forum posters that can be distracting for those participating in a conversation, and it would be a help to be able to hide those particular exchanges.

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think we need some examples...

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Take a look at virtually every topical forum thread.  Heck, take a look at the ten trillion threads bashing HP and all of its writers.  You should easily be able to see what I mean.  big_smile

It gets ... irritating would be putting it mildly.

1. JG11Bravo profile image73
          JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you want me to shut up, you could just ask nicely. tongue

1. profile image0

Well, then...would you kindly shut it?  wink

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image91
        Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That would not take very long, Will -- just a few seconds, really.

2. The Frog Prince profile image71
      The Frog Princeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We should be able to ban/blacklist those users who come on any Hub, in any form.  Many don't want to get on topic and stay there.  When you call them on it they have a tendency to get vile and nasty which no one needs.  It causes me to retaliate by deleting their comment(s) because they don't seem to get the hint.  Good question and I've recommended it to the Hubb Team before.  It should also then not allow them to use the down button or have any interaction what-so-ever.  Some users here just troll looking to pick a fight.

1. profile image0

Agree completely.  The problem in the forum is that we have no means of getting around it.  We have to scroll through pages of really awful appetizers to get to the delicious meal of the real conversation.  As ti removing them from the conversation, I would never recommend that in a forum setting.  They have every right to fight and argue with whomever wishes to join them and to discuss anything in the forum.  I just don't want to be distracted from the conversation when I don't want to join the fight.  smile

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image91

How do we "blacklist" anyone?  I have been looking for a way to permanently block a person and cannot find out how to do that. Some of the forum threads are so disturbing and distracting -- we should have a way to block those who start a thread only to get others riled up.

1. profile image0

Phyllis, at present there is no way to do so in the forum.  I'm hoping they take the idea under consideration.  The "blacklist" option on our profiles allows us to keep the hubs of certain hungers from being featured on ours under the "Others You May Like" links. 

The ignore option that I'm referring to is common in many forum and chat settings as a means of preventing harassment, or distraction from the conversation,  by other users.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image91

Thanks, Motown -- I understand what it is you would like to see for the forums.

My problem is: how can I blacklist someone in the "Others You May Like" links on my profile? I cannot find out how to do that.

2. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

It may sound a little extreme but I think older people in good standing with their conscience should be allowed to use flamethrowers on anyone who gets out of line.

Problem is, a lot troublemakers are old geezers and would be armed too.

1. profile image0

Flamethrowers are another option, but they could probably get pricy.

smile

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image91

I so like your idea, Will.

3. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 10 years ago

who would determine who gets black listed...the OP?Seems like that feature would add to the divisiveness that's already rearing it's head here.The forums should be open to any member who wants to post.Perhaps a feature for private conversations that would not show up in the forums would work better.Besides,the Moderators and report button seem to be doing a good job.

1. profile image0

You may have misunderstood.  I'd like to see a feature that would allow me as a forum participant to simply block/ignore comments from others while I am actively participating in a discussion.  There is no need for anyone to even know, just like no one knows which hubbers might be blacklisted on our profiles.  It would simply give us the ability not to see the comments of the person who's being blocked.  It would in no way impede anyone from posting anytime and anywhere they wish.

smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I understood.  It works well on other forums.  Once you have decided that a person never has anything of interest you can just quieten them.  The downside is not knowing whether they are talking about you... but if you don't care about that - it's great.

1. profile image0

Yeah...I don't care a whit if they talk about me.  smile   if nothing else it means they're leaving someone else alone.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
          Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The other downside is that you may not fully understand the conversation when people reply to them.

1. profile image0

It's not generally a permanent thing.  It can be used at your discretion, allowing you to engage again once the objectionable issues have been concluded.

2. cheaptrick profile image74
        cheaptrickposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry,my bad.I'd get behind an 'ignore so and so' button,but only if it was for personal attacks.We don't want to get to discriminatory either;that could discourage some hubbers from posting at all and even the weirdos(like me:) )can say something constructive occasionally.imho

1. profile image0

Oh, agreed.  An ignore feature means only that you can't see posts.  No one has a clue.  Totally anonymous.  People would only know if you made mention of it.  Frankly, everyone has something valuable to say.  I just want to ignore the yuckiness when people start to get snippy.  smile

2. Jason Marovich profile image87
          Jason Marovichposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I prefer being able to ignore only if HP deems the person's forum offenses ban-worthy.  I winced a little at the OP because it smacks of a slight form of censorship. There are plenty of posts on threads I don't read, but that's easy enough for me to do.  I'd rather we didn't have the option to block what anyone says; it's treading on free speech thin ice.  I mean, what's next?

1. profile image0

I think there is a misunderstanding here.  In many chat rooms and forums, when several conversations are happening at once,  there is a way where you-only you, no one else-can hide the posts that do not apply to your conversation or are offensives or abusive.  The person continues to participate and absolutely nothing happens in the forum.  You simply no longer see the posts.  You.  Just you.  Everything else remains status quo.  No censorship, no banning...just a way for you to not be distracted by tangential conversations.  Make sense?  It has no impact whatsoever to the thread as a whole and does not keep anyone from posting.  It is your personal tool.

smile

1. Jason Marovich profile image87
              Jason Marovichposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I understand better now.  In all my time on the internet I haven't done any chat rooms large enough to warrant a feature like that.  I can see how if there were multiple conversations going on in real time, muting someone would be useful.

1. profile image0

Yup.  smile

It's never an issue of silencing anyone...more so just allowing you to not be distracted.

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

You're probably going to have to try a radically different tack with this request because none of the other identical requests made for the exact same thing over the years were ever successful.

1. profile image0

Eh, in truth,  I'm not expecting much.  I thought I'd try bringing up an option to ignore individual posters in a thread as opposed to filtering out objectionable thread topics.  I enjoy the discussions so often.  Its the petty bickering and sometimes downright nastiness between participants who go off on tangents that I'd like to avoid. 

I have seen many others try.  Always worth a shot...but I sure do see your point.  big_smile

Oh, by the bye,  the hat is adorable!

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image91
    Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years ago

Oh! Nevermind, Motown -- I just found out how to blacklist on my profile. woo hooo !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)