Calling All Writers - Please Introduce Yourself!

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (105 posts)
  1. Mary McShane profile image79
    Mary McShaneposted 10 years ago

The discussion forum "Fiction Writers - Please Introduce Yourselves" (located at http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/91914 started by Website Examiner) is almost two years old.  Website Examiner is no longer on HP. As I scrolled through the posts, I also noticed some of the hubbers are no longer on HP either.

So I thought an updated forum would be nice.   

Please include your interests and goals in your post.  Following this forum's entries will introduce you to each other's hubs which in turn may help you network, gain followers and good feedback on your work.

So chime in!  Introduce yourself.

1. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi I'm Jodah, real name John Hansen from Queensland, Australia. Have been a member of Hub Pages for four years, but only begun writing regular hubs recently. My first love is poetry but have recently begun to try my hand at short stories and articles on various subjects including self-sufficiency, climate change, and horse racing. I enjoy the community here and look forward to meeting even more fellow hubbers and being inspired by their writing. http://jodah.hubpages.com/

Mary McShaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Jodah for posting.

Although it is against Forum rules to post links to our newest hubs, or promote them in the forums, I have a suggestion. Visitors to this forum (and many others) often click on the newest names and visit their profile to see what subjects they write about. 

In order for your readers to discover your newly published hubs, it is a good idea to put them in the carousel (details in a sec) so that they are easily noticed. 

This is especially good if you have 10 or more hubs.  The top 6 in the carousel are your "showcase" - which is where I place my newest hubs to draw traffic.

I'm working my way through the names in this forum and some of you have like 40 hubs or more. If you want traffic to your newest, put them in the carousel.  Here's how:

Go to MY PROFILE,  click EDIT PROFILE, scroll down to section "IN THE SPOTLIGHT" and select up to 6 hubs you would like to see increased traffic or hubs that are newly published.  Click SAVE!!! don't forget that part. 

Then click VIEW MY PROFILE and make sure they all made it.

If they didn't, repeat steps and click SAVE, then view profile again. 

I make it a practice to remove my oldest one and replace it with my newest so that anyone visiting my profile can see them at a glance instead of scrolling through all my hubs.  Mind you I only have 16 hubs at the moment, not as many as most of you guys, but I'm working on it!

Looking forward to catching up now that I am home from vacation.

2. Tyleck Bladestorm profile image58
        Tyleck Bladestormposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Horse racing? That sounds interesting. So are your writings from a spectator's perspective or is it more directly involved from your own personal experiences?

1. Jodah profile image92

Hi Tyleck. My interest in horse racing began at an early age. I became infatuated with horses and we owned a couple, though not thoroughbreds. When I was old enough I began punting and studied racing extensively, form, track work, history etc. To me horses and their jockeys are elite athletes. Anyway, I am still very interested to this day and would love to own my very own racehorse. I have written a couple of hubs about it, "Is This The Worlds Most Dangerous Sport" which has achieved Editor's Choice status, and a poem "Into The Straight". Another hub on betting/punting called "winning Ways" also. I hope you check them out.

1. Tyleck Bladestorm profile image58

This is fascinating. I will make a point to stop by and read these Hubs you have written, thank you for your response.

2. Nadine May profile image72
      Nadine Mayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Most people know me as Nadine May. I was born in Holland but my writing career started in South Africa when I won a S.A literary award in 1999 for the first chapter of a novel. This literary award gave me the encouragement to share the visions shown to me during the seventies through the power of words.
      If you like to read paranormal- visionary - romantic genres,or are into contemporary science fiction, then the Awakening to our Ascension Series is for you. In my novels I take my characters and readers on what seems to be a typical adventure seeking journey, until the real human drama is revealed and both reader and characters are introduced to a whole new concept in parallel realities unlike anything you've seen before.
      Today I'm also the creative director of Kima Global Publishers.Together with my partner, Robin Beck, the publisher, we publish books that make a difference to peoples lives.

1. Jodah profile image92

Hello Nadine, I love the paranormal and sci fi, so look forward to checking out your writing.

1. Nadine May profile image72
          Nadine Mayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for following me. Will soon read some of your hubs.

Most intriguing. Thank you for your introduction. I enjoy writings and films regarding the paranormal. As for science fiction, I grew up watching 80's movies and it has been fascinating watching a lot of what others had only imagined before now becoming technological realities. I look forward to reading some of your work.

3. Marlena Oechsner profile image59
      Marlena Oechsnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello Everyone! My name is Marlena and I am from a small town in Wisconsin. I have been writing since I was a teenager (mostly poetry and fiction). I believe the best writing comes from mixing real life with made-up scenarios that play out in my head. I've been on and off with my writing on HubPages and really need to get back into the swing of things. I always enjoy reading other fiction to boost my creativity and think this forum is a wonderful way to meet other writers.

1. Jodah profile image92

Hi Marlena, nice to meet you. There are many talented writers here on HP, and it is a wonderful community and very encouraging. I look forward to reading your own poetry and fiction.

I'm new here and it is comforting to see veteran writers return here to become active again. I'm always a bit fidgety and cautious when I enter a new writing community, but so far I really like what I have seen in this one. You mentioned about the best writing coming from "mixing real life with made-up scenarios" I couldn't agree more. I look forward to reading some of your work.

4. profile image56
      FJLucenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I'm starting to look over my short stories.  I am planning on posting my first short fiction right around New Year's.  Any advice?

1. Jodah profile image92

Hello FJ, Just read Mary's advice in reply to Elizabeth further on and you'll be fine. Maybe something about New years resolutions may be an appropriate subject for your short fiction.

1. profile image56
          FJLucenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  I'll remember that.  The New Year's resolution thing is an interesting idea to put in.  I was actually kinda thinking of posting a short story I wrote for my Creative Writing class 2 years ago.  I'm thinking of posting it here maybe as early as next week as a sort of preview for a series of short stories.

1. Jodah profile image92

Can't wait to read it FJ, I'm sure it will be worth it.

5. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm Lybrah.  I like to write about music artists and movies, yet I am torn between my God and my music...

Hi Lybrah, welcome to this forum!  You have quite a number of hubs in your short time here at HP,  and I hope you find some fellowship here.     I don't want to get into a discussion about God and religions and people's belief system in this forum. But suffice it to say that we can praise God through music and rule of thumb for most folks is God first, music second. lol  Welcome and I look forward to reading your hubs.

1. profile image0
          Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

1. Jodah profile image92

And welcome from me also Lybrah.

6. Mary McShane profile image79

This comment is to all who have posted here and anyone just stopping by:
      In an effort to keep this forum going, and not have it lapse due to the 2 month rule, I'm hoping if you see any newly signed up hubbers that you will direct them to this forum so we can meet them and give them a nice welcome. It never hurts newbies to get followers right after joining so they can get feedback on their first five hubs. It's sort of having an instant fan club. 

I won't be the only one posting here. There are many writers who post here in this forum, are on Hubpages far longer than I and have much more wisdom than I do in the way things are done (or not done!) on Hubpages.

So please refer your newly made friends that you are following so we can say hello and follow them too.
      Thanks,
      Mary

7. Warren Curtis profile image70
      Warren Curtisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am writing Fiction on HubPages!!!

1. Jodah profile image92
        Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good for you Warren. I love fiction, so look forward to reading your work.

8. jlpark profile image80
      jlparkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi.
      Most people here know me as jl, but my really name is Jacqui. I write from New Zealand, in the South Pacific. I am married to my wife, and we have an infant daughter who is the best little thing in the world.
      I've been here just over 2 years, with a small break in the middle whilst I was pregnant. Usually I write health or LGBT related hubs, though have recently ventured into a couple of "how to" type hubs, and occasionally share a fiction piece or two.
      I mostly write fiction, except for lately as I'm trying to finish a course. I have written poetry since I was about 13 and in an angsty period of my life (haha!), but very rarely anymore.
      I'm in the middle/middle of end of a fiction novel, that I've had to put on the back burner for a bit, but that I hope to publish in the future (with a lot of work!).

Thanks for this forum post!

1. Jodah profile image92

Hello jl, good to meet you. Thanks for telling us about yourself and good luck with the fiction novel.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

'Sup y'all?

Keith AKA FatFreddysCat from the mostly great state of New Jersey here. Most of my Hubs are about my two geeky passions, i.e. mostly forgotten hard rock/heavy metal bands from the 80s and sci-fi/horror films.

I've been here for two and a half years and if I've learned anything in that time, it's that I will never get rich writing about the above topics for this site. But hey, they tell you "write what you know" and it's what I know. Haha

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello Keith,
      I was born and grew up in NJ but my family left after I graduated high and I had worked a few jobs :-(. I liked that state, but the winters were cold. 
      I have not found my true niche yet but I like writing here at HP and on my blog.
      Kevin (The Examiner-1)

Hey Kevin, You already know I'm a fan of yours. smile  I'm hoping others will come over to this thread and keep up with the new posts.  TYVM for posting here. big_smile

Yes I do, as I am of yours. smile I just thought that I would post to someone else.

All input is much appreciated and I'm glad to see all hubbers communicating with new commenters. Keep up the great work. I was acknowledging you for posting here and keeping the thread active.  I had hoped not to babysit this forum, just to keep it as an open forum for each person to introduce themselves, communicate and network with others.  So  thank you to each and every one who gives encouragement and welcomes to new commenters. smile

2. Mary McShane profile image79

Thank you Keith for posting. When I looked over your list of hubs, just the volume of hubs shows your passion. But when I looked closer at the topics, you have much to offer here at HP. Your review hubs are excellent. Keep up the good work. It's nice to meet you. If you haven't done so already, make a google account, then submit your hubs to webcrawler to generate more traffic. Here's the place to click  https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/submit-url   You can use other tools there to see where you rank on google's list and how to improve the rank with simple adjustments, all spelled out on their websites. Check back here every week to network with any new posts.

3. RichardMawby profile image71
    RichardMawbyposted 10 years ago

Hi all,

I am based in the United Kingdom and in my early twenties.

I have always been a daydreamer, so it was no surprise that I ended up delving into fictional stories a few years ago. Since then I have developed 8 plots, with 3 books in the making, however it is a slow process as I cannot simply 'sink' into them as most people can. My mind works on such a deep level that only when I can truly submerge and live the world can I write at my best. It happens spontaneously so I write when the inspiration hits me and usually end up writing large chunks in a short space of time.

Inbetween I am quite philosophical and I also write poetry which I have done since the age of 10.

I am not out there to reach fame, but rather have people read, appreciate and relate to any of my works. As long as they enjoy it and take something away with them after the read then I am happy. But I will not deny it and say that being able to live off your passion would be something worth acheiving in this society. One day maybe...

Richard.

1. Jodah profile image92

Hi Richard, I can relate to everything you say. Good luck with the books. You started young so time's on your side.

1. RichardMawby profile image71
        RichardMawbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Jodah, and thank you for the follow big_smile

1. Jodah profile image92

You are welcome.

2. Mary McShane profile image79

Hello Richard, I agree with you. I also just want people to find enjoyment in my stories, or usefulness from my medical articles.  At my age, I know I won't make a million bucks, but wouldn't mind my name being bandied about a little more - in a good way!  I read a few of your hubs and left comments. I'm glad to follow you. TY for introducing yourself here and I look forward to seeing you publish more of your work as you are able.

1. RichardMawby profile image71

Thank you Mary big_smile ... I will look forward to reading your comments.

I only publish when I feel inspired to do so, so they may be few and far between but I will slowly add to it as time passes. Thank you for taking the time to read them.

4. kristyleehenry profile image60
    kristyleehenryposted 10 years ago

Thank you for your valuable and informative advice in the last discussion. I will definitely bear in mind everything you've said. I'm sorry if I was misunderstood when I used the word 'deterring' before; I realize I need to grow a tougher skin and accept peoples' critiquing and criticism toward my stories with open and accepting arms, I simply meant that I prefer not to hear the opinions of others until my story is complete and ready for editing and revising, if that makes any sense (it does in my mind...) Thank you so much, again, for your directional support.

Kristy

Yes, that makes perfect sense now. I too keep my work close to the vest until  it is completed and only then share the chapters I'm not sure about to get some direction and feedback.
      Take a look at more than one of the critique groups I linked you to and give them a lookover when you are ready. If it turns out none of them are to your liking, there are some other alternatives to be able to get "safe" feedback to your work - even private online critique groups in small numbers. I was in one on AOL for years and it was a great resource. I'm in one in my city that I was linked to from the meetup site I gave you.  I don't pay for editing and feedback until I'm closer to submission. Please check in and let us know how you are doing. And if you have questions, post them here and someone will likely answer you.  Lot of experienced writers and teachers here on HP are good about kicking in and answering questions. Good luck to you. smile
      Mary

5. robjlodge profile image60
    robjlodgeposted 10 years ago

Hi, I'm Rob, a fairly new member of the Hubpages community but one who is hoping to establish himself as part of it. My main passion is for words, discovering new ones and sharing them with others. I believe in using the English language to its fullest extent.

I also like to travel and to write about my experiences. The novel that I am currently working on is set in Gdansk, the most interesting of all the places I have so far visited. One day, I might even be in a position to self-publish it.

Books are another passion of mine, which follows I suppose. I like to read the classics, but like to also keep in touch with contemporary fiction and non-fiction. I particularly like tomes of over 1,000 pages, something to get stuck into. Anyway, hello to everybody, and thanks, Mary, for initiating this thread.

I hope to see you all around some time.

Rob

Hi Rob, I enjoyed your  hub on Unusual English words and I left you a comment. Glad to see you here and I hope you can meet hubbers to follow and network.  smile

2. Jodah profile image92

Hello rob, I hope you enjoy the Hub Page experience. Look forward to reading your work.

6. imocat profile image73
    imocatposted 10 years ago

Hello, I'm Shellie aka imocat. This is my second week on HP, something suggested to me so here I am. I've been writing for as long as I can remember. In my box of keepsakes are several unfinished stories, journals that cover 40 years and a lot of poetry. I began writing more poetry as I began experiencing darker periods in my life mainly over the past 5 years. I like them, but I shared them with a friend who said they were too negative so I have been doing some reflection on my writing and what I would like to accomplish with it. On HP I want to write but also follow other writers, styles, subjects to gain knowledge and perspective in many areas.

Hi Shellie, All I can say about your hubs I wrote in a comment. Welcome and I hope you can take advantage of some of the forums here on HP as well as meet hubbers you would like to follow. smile

2. Jodah profile image92

Hello Shellie, welcome to hub pages. I look forward to reading your poetry.

7. AlyssaScheidemann profile image91
    AlyssaScheidemannposted 10 years ago

Hello all, I'm Alyssa. I'm located in Southwest Florida, and have been on HP for two years - almost three (it'll be three in January).

Writing (along with reading) is and always has been a big part of my life. I have been writing for most of my life, and have been pursuing writing professionally since 2009. I enjoy movies/television shows (drama/comedy shows), music, baking, traveling/exploring new places, and books/poetry & stories. On HP, my niches for hub articles are entertainment (movie/TV show reviews), travel, and writing poetry, but also have a couple fiction short stories.

Outside of HP, I am also an author of 2 self-published books, a poetry book and a fiction children's book (the first book of my children's book series). I am currently working on and writing a fiction fantasy/adventure novel, and 2 more fiction children's books, one as the second book of the series and the other for slightly younger age.

In my writing, I aim to provide facts and interesting insights in my hubs, and a journey in my books. Most of all, I enjoy inspiring others with my writing.

I enjoy meeting other writers, and in turn, becoming inspired by them. Thanks everyone, and thank you Mary for starting this thread.

Alyssa

1. Jodah profile image92

Hi Alyssa, nice to meet yet another passionate writer.

1. AlyssaScheidemann profile image91
        AlyssaScheidemannposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nice to meet you too, Jodah. I'll go check out your hubs on poems sometime.

2. robjlodge profile image60
      robjlodgeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello Alyssa, your work sounds very interesting, particularly your hubs about Florida, I've been wanted to visit your part of the world for many years now and maybe one day I'll get the chance.

Your fantasy/adventure novel sounds good as well, good luck with that and with all your other books.

Thank you Rob.

3. Mary McShane profile image79

Hi Alyssa, Welcome. Glancing over your hubs, they look like a good read, and I'll pop over sometime this week. I also live in Florida but on the southeastern coast - Ft. Lauderdale. I'm getting ready to go on a cruise for a week - leaving Friday so if I don't get to you this week, it will be when I get back. Thank you for posting in this forum which I felt was borne out of necessity due to inactive profiles on the old thread.      Stop back often to see who is new, pick up a few people to follow or just to say hello. smile   Good Luck to you.

Thank you, Mary. smile

4. The Examiner-1 profile image60

Hello Alyssa, you sure sound busy! Do you do anything but write? Do you eat or sleep?

8. Richawriter profile image85
    Richawriterposted 10 years ago

Hello all. Thanks for reigniting this thread as I too wanted to get to know some other fiction writers. It's great to have a little circle of writers all sharing and inspiring each other. I write fantasy mainly but also dabble in horror and plan tp have my first ebook out this December. Thanks again for starting this and I'll go through and add my fellow authors soon. Richawriter smile

1. Jodah profile image92

Hi Richawriter, good to meet you. Good luck with that Ebola.

1. Richawriter profile image85
        Richawriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey Jodah,

Thanks for taking the time to welcome each one of us. smile

'Ebola' - Looks like autocorrect strikes again hahaha.

I'll pop over and read your short stories when I get back on here shortly.

Take care.

Richawriter

1. Jodah profile image92

Haha...Ebola, sorry about that

9. elizabethberger profile image62
    elizabethbergerposted 10 years ago

Hello! I'm Elizabeth from the Midwest. I have been on HP for a couple months but have not done anything yet. I have a lot to say but do not have any idea which way to go…I am just overwhelmed. Best to all of you!

Welcome Elziabeth.  When you are ready, write what you want to say on a document first, then transfer it over to HP by copy paste. That way you can work stuff out in your head (details, title, etc) and when it is done you 'll have a better idea where to classify it in title, topic and format.  Use the HELP pages and if you don't find an answer in the FAQ's, type in the search box what you want to know and more than likely there is info there to help you. If you don't  find your solution, you can either come back here, post the question and someone will probably answer or you can also go to that topic or genre (fiction, health, historical, etc.) in the Books & Literature section, click discussions and HOT QUESTIONS and post your question there.  I hope that helps, and I look forward to reading your work.
      Mary

1. elizabethberger profile image62
        elizabethbergerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mary! Thank u! So nice of you to respond. What a special family this is. smile

2. Jodah profile image92

Welcome Elizabeth, great advice from Mary. I was unsure where to start at first too. I suggest just write about a subject that really interests you and get your first hub out there. When it's done and you receive encouraging comments from your fellow hubbers it will become addictive, and you'll want to write more and more. can't wait to read your work.

3. robjlodge profile image60

Hi Elizabeth, I remember when I signed up, which was only about a week ago,  I didn't know whether I had anything worth saying. But then I got stuck into my first hub and, as Jodah says, it has become addictive. I now have a list of all the hubs I intend to write, which I am sure will grow considerably. I would be interested to see what you come up with.

1. imocat profile image73
        imocatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

All of the responses here have been wonderful! It is good to hear from those who have been writing on HP for a while, and those who have written outside of the blog space. I have received some constructive feedback on my hubs which I appreciate. Thank you for the welcomes!

You look as if you are off to a good start, just keep it up and you will enjoy being on HP. smile By the way, welcome.

1. imocat profile image73
            imocatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!

You are welcome.
              Kevin

4. The Examiner-1 profile image60

elizabethberger,
      Should I say welcome to HP? In the above post you say that you have been here a couple of months. When I looked at your profile page I noticed that it said two 'years' and you do not have any Hubs yet. Hmm.
      Kevin

1. elizabethberger profile image62
        elizabethbergerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

kevin. i did join two years ago, then did not use it, then came back a couple months ago and still have not used it.

Why not? Can you not get any ideas? Just go with the flow and write about what you are most familiar. Things which you do, see, hear about or those which interest you every day.
          If you are afraid about errors and such then you can read various Hubs on the subects and get friendly help here on HP.
          Kevin

10. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

I guess I'll swoop on in. I'm Zelkiiro, and I write reviews. Mostly of anime. I'd like to do more regular movie reviews, but given that I try to avoid bad movies, those would be less interesting.

So yeah, lots and lots of anime. My goal is chiefly to raise awareness of the medium as a whole, but also to let anime fans know what is good and what isn't. And that's that, I guess.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

He also writes pretty good fantasy action scenarios.

2. RichardMawby profile image71

ANIMEEEEE ... something I am very much in tune with too Zelkiiro. I find in Anime various deeper story meanings if you look in the right places and quite a few also have interesting philosophical stand points.

3. robjlodge profile image60

Consider yourself followed! I am a huge fan of anime and love Neon Genesis, meaning I could not help but notice the theme of your profile picture. Just read your review of Princess Mononoke, which is my favourite Ghibli film, (Totoro coming a close second). I am always on the lookout for new stuff to watch so I shall be keeping an eye out.

4. Jodah profile image92

Hi Zelkiiro,
      I enjoy good anime, unfortunately haven't seen a lot recently. I too like Rob, used to like Neon Genesis, Be interested to se what you recommend. Welcome.

5. Tyleck Bladestorm profile image58

Count me in, I'm such a fan of anime that my writing style has developed into what I like to refer to as "Literary Japanimation." I am already excited to hear your thoughts on several great animes that I have in mind as well as a video game here in Japan that is unlike anything I had ever seen when I was in the United States. The game is called "Rain" and was release in October here on the PS3.

1. Jodah profile image92

Hello Tyleck, thanks for introducing yourself. Literary Japanimation sounds very interesting. I need to check it out.

11. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 10 years ago

I'm Rory and my nickname is part of an upcoming book title as well as a disclaimer of sorts. I enjoy reading and writing my own random thoughts and outlooks on life

1. Jodah profile image92

Sounds great Rory, a lot of my own stuff, especially poetry is very random. A lot of what just springs into your mind turns out better than stuff you struggle for months and weeks over, at least in my case.

12. Tyleck Bladestorm profile image58
    Tyleck Bladestormposted 10 years ago

Hello everyone, my name is Tyleck. My wife and I just discovered the HubPages yesterday and I am really excited about the amazing network and exposure potential here. I have to admit though, even after reading the guidelines and the FAQ, I'm still a little confused about something so I was hoping for some feedback before I start "hubbing."

In the shadowy recesses of my mind is a story that has written itself into the very fabric of my being. It started many years ago when I was in middle school; a time when my drawing skills were developing with the frequent scribbles I did early in the mornings after having a bad dream.

Now that I am much older and have basically lived my life, I want to finally unleash the pent up creativity that I have honestly either been avoiding or just too lazy to follow through on.

All that to ask a simple question.

Am I able to write such a story of fiction here? If I include my own photos, drawings, videos, etc, will it meet the standards required to be allowed here on the HubPages?

My concern is that I will more than likely have to channel my writing efforts here into something more, instructional or educational in its overall presentation instead of having an entity of unknown origin escaping from the paragraphs  as you read them...climbing into the crevices of your subconscious and lingering in your memories, making you hunger for more.

Thoughts or guidance please?

1. Jodah profile image92

Hub Pages actually encourages your own original artwork, photos and videos, rather than those found elsewhere on the web. So you won't have any trouble meeting the guidelines there. I suggest you read as many other different types of hubs you can, see how many positive comments they get to determine what works. The first step is to publish your first hub and go from there.

1. Tyleck Bladestorm profile image58

I am very appreciative of your responses and very helpful suggestions, thank you. So then, time to open the floodgates and and see which direction the creativity flows.

13. cbunch11 profile image67
    cbunch11posted 10 years ago

My name is Chad. I live and write from Florissant, Missouri. My passions include science fiction, comics and graphic novels, horror, fantasy, food and cooking, and sports. I started writing fiction about three years ago and articles about two years ago. I have not had much success with either, but I practice daily. I have enjoyed my time here on HubPages and will continue to contribute.

1. Jodah profile image92

Hi Chad, Thanks for introducing yourself. Those passions cover a nice cross section so you should be able to attract plenty of readers to your hubs here. Practice makes perfect, so keep at it. I'm off to check some of your hubs now.

2. robjlodge profile image60

Hi Chad,
      It's good to see you've got such a wide range of interests.
      It is definitely a good plan to write something new every day, keep the creativity flowing.
      Rob

14. leni sands profile image68
    leni sandsposted 10 years ago

Hi

I'm Helena (Leni Sands) from the UK and I've been on Hubpages about 3 years.  I am currently working on a crime novel 'Watching & Waiting' and an autobiographical novel 'Dead Memories, Shattered Lives'.

I write poetry and lyrics; short stories, children's stories, and Monologues (Written for the Performing Arts).  I also enjoy editing and proof-reading.

I am a semi-retired teacher of English with a BACS Hons Degree in Special Educational Needs and Creative Writing.  I also hold a Postgrad. in Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

1. Jodah profile image92

Hello Leni (Helena),
      Great to meet you. Thanks for introducing yourself and good luck with your novels. I look forward to reading your poetry, short stories etc and sharing hubs with you.

15. leni sands profile image68
    leni sandsposted 9 years ago

Hi ya

I am revamping my hubpages.  I have removed most of my poems because they are to be published.  I am working on making my remaining hubs - forever green before I add any more hubs.  Hopefully all future hubs will be 'evergreen'.

I also write on Bubblews...

16. Nadine May profile image72
    Nadine Mayposted 9 years ago

Hi Leni good luck with your revamping process. You have been with hub pages 4 years! It is always good to add or update older hubs. I'm also writing on Bubblews.Congratulations to get your poetry published.

17. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

Hello, I write both fiction and non-fiction.

I've published some of my work through traditional channels and self-publishing. I'm beginning to think self-publishing is the way to go. Publishers expect you to promote your work, have a platform and sell most of the books. Very rarely do they throw their weight behind a project and promote it. So, why do I need them? If my writing is good, and I continue to promote it, the writing will eventually find its audience.

Recently, a post I made on a website I've visited only once over a year ago, brought someone from Moldova into my life. He not only found one of my websites, commented on my blog, sent me an email through my website form, but he also found me on Facebook. Enthusiastic, he wanted to know more.

One down, 100 million to go!

In fiction, I lean toward space science fiction with a spiritual edge. All under the pen name, Carl Martin.

I've published "Touch the Stars: Emergence" (with John Dalmas, Tor Books, 1983), "Touch the Stars: Diaspora," and "Entropy's Children."

In non-fiction, my interests cover a broad array of topics -- spiritual, historical, scientific, and even the possible truths behind myth and legend. All under the pen name, Rod Martin, Jr.

I've published, "The Art of Forgiveness," "The Bible's Hidden Wisdom: God's Reason for Noah's Flood," and "The Spark of Creativity." Currently, I'm working on several projects including, "Watered Down Christianity," "Mission: Atlantis," and "Uncomfortable Facts About 9/11—No Conspiracy Theory, Here" (based on my most popular hub.

I love websites like this. I learn so much from others. Learning is one of the basic joys of life. Sharing what I've learned is another.

1. Jodah profile image92

Hi lone77star, nice to meet you. Thanks for that great introduction. I llok forward to reading your hubs.

18. TSLOPEZ profile image61
    TSLOPEZposted 9 years ago

Hello I'm Tania. I currently reside in Fayetteville, NC. I have been writing since I learned how to spell lol but I use it mainly as an outlet therefore I have never attempted to publish. I'm thinking now that maybe I should go for it. My focus is fiction and I am currently working on a novel and I would say the first draft is currently about 80% completed. I seem to have the most trouble when it comes to dialog. I would like some feedback on how to go about publishing but also your opinions on the pros and cons of using an alias.

1. Jodah profile image92

Hi Tania, welcome to Hub Pages. Wow 80% of a novel completed is impressive. There are a lot of writers here who have published books. You should read hubs by billybuc, he gives advice to writers and answers questions. Many writers use an alias if the publish books in different genres. Good luck.

1. TSLOPEZ profile image61
        TSLOPEZposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your feedback Jodah! I will definitely check billybuc out.

1. Jodah profile image92

you are welcome.

19. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Hi John, I guess that I am a writer. I took the "Inner Writer" test and they said that I should write.

20. JasminRace profile image57
    JasminRaceposted 9 years ago

Hello I am Jasmin, Im 20 and it would be nice to meet new friends on here and get inspiration. Please follow me and I will follow you all back smile

1. Jodah profile image92

Hello Jasmine, welcome to Hub Pages. I will check your profile, feel free to check mine and follow if my writing appeals.

21. profile image57
    Zander Daleposted 9 years ago

Hello all. My name is Zander Dale. I'm new to all this, so I will have to toss around a few ideas before I find something. I've been writing for a little while, but have yet to have anything published. I enjoy writing, and have a few novels in the works. One of which I've been working on for the past 5 years. It seems that when I get close to completing it, I find something that I could write better.
    My focus is a little more on action and adventure, particularly in middle age type environments. however, I also have a sci-fi mind as well.

1. Jodah profile image92

Welcome to Hub Pages Zander. Working on a novel you are obviously quite an experienced writer, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. It is a great community. Have a look around, check out the boot camp or learning centre and hop some hubs. Good luck.

1. profile image57
        Zander Daleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't call myself a professional. Quite the contrary, in fact. I simply have an interest in writing. I suppose you could say that I'm a sucker for a good story.

22. Paula Weber profile image60
    Paula Weberposted 9 years ago

Hi there. I'm Paula, a registered nurse from Cincinnati Ohio. I've been writing short stories since I was a child, and I have a fantasy novel in the works. I'm completely new to this Hub thing, so any advice would be appreciated.

1. Jodah profile image92

Hi Paula, welcome to Hub Pages. Just start by reading a few other hubs to see how things are done (you are welcome to check out mine wink wink), take a look at the learning centre, forums etc and you'll soon get the hang of it. You say you have been writing short stories since you were a child. Why not start by putting a couple of them here as hubs .. they are already written.. and see what response you get. I'd love to read them. Basically write about what interests you, you have expertise in, how-to's, recipes, short stories, poetry, personal events whatever. Look forward to reading your work.

1. Paula Weber profile image60
        Paula Weberposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much, and I'll check out your Hub right now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)