Does happily ever after exist?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (21 posts)
  1. moneyfairy profile image60
    moneyfairyposted 10 years ago

Do any of you believe in happily ever after or is it all just a hollywood farse?

moneyfairyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just curious if you know anyone that has lived the happily ever after lifestyle?

We hear that it does happen for some but is it possible for everyone?

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe there are people who wouldn't trade their marriage for anything in the world! Having said that it does not mean their lives have been "smooth sailing". Every couple has disagreements from time to time, misunderstandings, and sometimes inflict pain upon one another unintentionally or intentionally over the course of a lifetime together.

"There are only two ways to experience joy and peace of mind in relationships. We either get what we want or we (learn) to be happy with what we have."

Once we accept the fact that none of us is perfect we start to have "realistic expectations". Hollywood movies (end) with the wedding. In reality the wedding is the (beginning). People and relationships evolve overtime. We're either growing together or growing apart. Ultimately the goal is to find someone who shares your same values, wants the same things for the marriage, (naturally agrees) with you on how to obtain those things, and last but not least have a mutual depth of love and desire for one another. Once this has been accomplished (communication) becomes your GPS system to ensure you are both happy going in the direction you agreed upon.

2. moneyfairy profile image60
    moneyfairyposted 10 years ago

Look forward to hearing your views on this subject.

3. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I don't think there is some perfect couple with no problems.
    Life is hard. Harder for some than others, but in my opinion, having a happier life is in how you deal with the cards that are dealt you.
    It seems like everyone is giving up these days. Maybe happily ever after is in the not giving up...
    looking back on a life full of valleys and knowing you didn't give up... that you climbed out of the mire and found solid ground again. Maybe happily ever after is just a vantage point and it can't be achieved until it's all over.

I think what you said is so very true. Some don't stick it out and they(the guy usually) seems to always think the grass is greener on the other side and go looking elsewhere. It's just sad.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's funny how (some) men are conditioned to think. I remember talking to one man about the issue of unfaithfulness in marriage and he said "It's a shame that a man would lose every thing for a leg up." or maybe it was "a leg over"? I don't know... he was English and you know they just make stuff up.
        So with some men, they're not even looking for something better... they just can't resist the candy in the dish until they've learned how much they have to lose. It's kind of like Adam and Eve in the garden... they lost every thing over a taste of fruit. It's a good lesson... the hardest part is forgiving, I don't know if you ever forget, but that's a daily process Im sure.

One can always forgive but the point is obviously they don't love you if they are looking elsewhere . It would be nice to find someone who doesn't look at every skirt walking by but someone who is truly in love with you and would never ever do anything to hurt you. I know we are all not 100% perfect but cheating breaks down any trust that was ever created. You can forgive but you'll always wonder when is the next time etc...it's not a healthy way of being in a relationship. Love and trust is a must without that there is nothing right?Sometimes it feels that staying single and safe is better than being with someone you don't trust and that has hurt you(emotionally).

1. profile image0

True, but it's not blanket advice. There are circumstances that enter in to every situation, and ppl can change with help... other wise AA wouldn't work for anyone.

true smile but more often than not once a cheater always a cheater and obviously something is missing if they feel they need to cheat right? Why stay with someone who doesn't know that you are the best thing that ever happened to them, why would you want anything less than the best for your highest good?

1. profile image0

I think we see happily ever after differently. smile

Yes I guess so because I have known women who stay together for religious reasons etc..but they are miserable and just living a barely tolerable life rather than being truly in love and happy with someone who loves and respects them etc... I guess I'll probably hold out till the end. I'd rather be single than in an unhappy non-monogomus relationship. But that's just me.

1. profile image0

I totally understand that. I have felt that way many times, but like I said, I believe all situations are different. In my case, my husband has gone thru a huge change... a true one. He's worked extremely hard. I actually don't fear unfaithfulness again as just how to recover what was lost. In our case I think we're learning that the life we had is over and a new one must begin. When there are kids involved and a changed life... it's worth it to not take the easy way out... at least that's where we're at.

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
                dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"Once a cheater always a cheater" is a B.S. statement that people who have been cheated on use to protect themselves. The reality is if someone can be a former drinker, former smoker, and former drug user then it makes no sense to believe that someone who cheated is STUCK being a cheater for the rest of their life no matter how much they want to quit.

Both monogamy and cheating are lifestyle (choices) that people make. No one stays faithful or cheats against their will.

That last statement is correct that no one cheats against thier will...they do it selfishly and on purpose for thier own ends, not giving a moments thought about the one they are currently with. Faithful people love and respect the person they are with and would never even think about cheating or hurting the one they are with, because they have more love for the one they are with, more than a radom urge to try something new. It comes down to self control some have it and some do not, but yes some can change if they so choose but most(in the non-monogomy/cheating realm) do not because for them it's the thrill of always something new and exciting and what else is next etc...

4. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

Short and sweet, "Happily ever after work".  Happy does not exist without work.

That is so very true.!!!

2. bipolartist profile image77
      bipolartistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

...and it is the greatest job I have known. I am the CEO of my own Happily Ever After and the payout is monumental.

bipolartist:glad you are enjoying monumental payouts good for you!!
        glad your happily ever has showed up for you!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)