One of my hubs is has gone viral in India. Worried!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

I am worried because I don;t know if I am being hit with a bot. The hub used to do very well then someone stole it, then traffic fell drastically. It picked up somewhat and was steady for a while but I noticed it's getting close to 150 hits today most of which are from India. Should I be worried that I am being hit with some sort of software?

1. vocalcoach profile image95
      vocalcoachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It might be a good idea to look into this.  It just doesn't sound right to me.  I'm sorry your hard work was stolen.

Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Vocal Coach. A lot of the hacker and hijackers are from India. I am just worried that it may affect my adsense account.I don't wan't their bots clicking my ads.

2. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There were 2,534,904 unique visits to HubPages in November from India, which is 8.35% of all HP traffic. My personal traffic was 8.28% from India. Go to your Google Analytics and Webmaster tools to see what search queries are used and what percentage of your visitors are from India.  Also, go to the stats page on your Hub and see how much traffic is sent from Google India which is: google.co.in. 

I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Just check every two weeks or so for copied content, which is something you should normally do anyway.

Thanks WF. Will do as you say. Oh yeah, I checked the traffic on the hub and about 80% of the traffic on that hub is from India, that's why I am panicking.

3. lovebuglena profile image86
      lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you need to be worried. 150 is not that big a number, especially coming from India. Try to check your spam comments and see if there is anything there and if there is if it's from India. Maybe it's spammers.

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 10 years ago

India has a population of 1.237 billion people.  150 page views is not "going viral," it's a small traffic spike.

Analytics will show you exactly where the traffic is coming from, what the bounce rate is, etc so you can see just what's going on with your page.

Relache, for a poetry hub which was not getting much views before, 150 hits in one day on that  hub is viral to me. The rise is too sudden, plus the word viral is subjective. smile Thanks

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Anyways...the numbers are still climbing. I'm just worried that if it's a bot it may affect my Adsense account if it generates clicks.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
            lobobrandonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you get an insane number of clicks, contact the google adsense team and tell them that you suspect foul behaviour from India. They'd look into it and subtract those clicks if found to be bots.

Thanks Brandon, good sound advice. This is what I was looking for  smile

1. lobobrandon profile image87
                lobobrandonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No prob smile Happy to help

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
            LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would not be concerned. There are several authors on HP from India for one plus most of us do get traffic from there and in example one of my short story hubs received a large number of hits from there after it was shared by an Indian hubber. I think you are troubling yourself for no reason.

Keep in mind that although India's poverty and illiteracy levels are high they are an industrialized, ever growing country. i.e they are not a third world country (according to most experts).........................tongue

2. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

smile

Wow... I once met someone whose coldsore went totally viral  sad
        It spread everywhere.... from their lips, past their India and headed towards their Nepal  yikes

lol lol lol lol

3. Hamshi profile image66
    Hamshiposted 10 years ago

Just enjoy the traffic spike. big_smile

Thanks smile

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image82
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

I think you're probably okay - someone may have posted your hub somewhere (congrats on that!).  I had a bot attack right after I joined the site, and it generated about 7,000 views in just a few hours.  You could actually see the numbers jump.  Several of us were hit, so the site understood we didn't do anything. 

As Hamshi said, enjoy the traffic!

Thanks Marcy, I remember that bot well....I think. I once received about a million views in one day...lol. I'm just worried about my Adsense account hmm

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image82
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cardisa - if you're still worried, send a message to the HP admins, and they can check it out. When the other bot attack happened, HP alerted Google to the problem and told us to let them know if our AdSense accounts were affected.  I also reported it to Google (cannot remember through what mechanism). Everything worked out fine, even through it was a bot.

Thank Marcy. I'm keeping my eyes opened and not make too much ruckus...yet. It's just strange that 90% or more of the traffic which has spiked is coming from one place. Usually it's google.com that I get most of my traffic on any hub.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Unless the number climbs into the billions, I would simply relax and enjoy a traffic bump from a gracious nowhere.

6. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Was your poem about aunties of any kind?

Nope...no aunts in that one ...lol..not even the word "hot" is in it tongue

7. AMAZING THINKER profile image60
    AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years ago

Facebook has 71 million active users in India...a lot of people have internet access.

??? roll

8. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 10 years ago

You guys are talking about India like you see in documentaries and stuff? You'll don't really know the country. I'm Indian btw

1. AMAZING THINKER profile image60
      AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you know the country?

9. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

I have two very contrasting views of India.

A) I loved being in Dehli over Diwali in 1981, and then travelling  the "Golden Triangle" in 2005. Amber Fort was my most beloved place during that last trip, while making an offering in a temple at an altar to Ganesh was my biggest "warm fuzzy". Few religions have such a friendly and adorable deity smile

B) I hate the Indian call centres I have to endure as a customer of UK businesses. Most of the operators I have encountered there are simultaneously unhelpful, ignorant and rude. I also get so many phone calls from Indians with the "I'm calling from Microsoft, because there is a problem with your computer" scam.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You want to try dealing with them when you speak Scottish because instead of saying they don't understand, they keep you on the line with useless advice for your problem. It;s never a free phone either! In the last year Demon Internet were bought over by Vodafone, and their help line is subcontracted to India.(Demon used to be in Scotland, with local workers) Then my Three mobile phone broke, so I had to phone them - Indian again. After about 15 minutes (premium rate) they transferred me to Samsung (I had a dread of what to expect) and was pleasantly surprised when a friendly Irish voice came on the line.

I know a few people in this sleepy town who were caught out by the Microsoft scam. We are that used to hearing Indian accents on all things computing, that it never occurred to them that the call wasn't genuine. The local paper had to run a story as a warning.

2. AMAZING THINKER profile image60
      AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We have 330 million of these deities. Our ancestors had good imagination.

10. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 10 years ago

For what it is worth, it is my opinion as an owner of several websites/blogs and a writer here and other sites as well, if a bot was hitting you there would be much more that the 150 hits you are concerned about.

The adverse side of a bot has cost me money on one other site I work on.  There was a huge influx in a matter of minutes of thousands of views.  This is a site that pay an average of one cent per view. 

How this cost me money was that this was an article that compared HP to the other site.  The pros and cons of both sites.....a review, with no bias. With that being said, I had earned over 50.00 on the article, however once the bot hit and jacked up my numbers I had to delete the article.  Upon deleting an article you lose all your earning, so I went into negative numbers upon the deletion.  It took a while to recover earning with new material, but that 50.00 was gone forever.

Some time ago, a hub of mine got around 200 hits from FB in one day. It turned out that it was a bot. Some hubbers experienced larger spikes than I did. The point is, whenever there is an unusual spike no matter how minute compared to someone else, it should be cause for concern.

A few of the hubbers who left HP have done so because their Adsense account was barred because of invalid clicks. WillStarr (who is still around) lost his account due to invalid clicks from somewhere in Asia.

I am not taking any unusual spike easily.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
        Dale Hydeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I had one of my hubs here go up to 800 hits a day, back in the day, lol, of good traffic here on HP.  Upon investigation what I found was that the link was shared on a highly viewed site and that was where the tremendous amount of views were coming from.  It was valid views from a legit site that is well known.  I wish they would link to more of my hubs, lol. smile

By the way, I am not trying to tell you that your concern is not valid, just trying to let you know that all spikes are not bad.

I am so used to the hubs gradually climbing that I get scared when traffic jumps so suddenly..lol. Thanks smile. I have hubs with over 150 hist daily but they took a while to get there so I am just jumpy.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
            Dale Hydeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jumpy is good!  Kept me from walking in front of a train the other week, lol.  For real! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)