How am I to improve this hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)
  1. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 10 years ago

The following is the fourth version of a hub I submitted for publication. Three times I had to revise as suggested by HUBPAGES.  This fourth version has also drawn the comment "NEEDS IMPROVEMENT". I am at a loss to understand what improvement is called for. Can someone help me?

DO PROVOCATIVE DRESSES MAKE MEN GO WILD?

Does a provocative dress invite undesired attention? This question is always being asked with no clear answer given. If plain nakedness causes an adrenalin surge, near nakedness triggers imagination. If compared, the latter’s impact is longer-lasting.

The impulse to force oneself on a female who has donned a dress that raises eyebrows could raise its ugly head instantaneously, resulting in the would-be-perpetrator-of-rape going the whole hog and doing his thing. However, time and place play a big part in the actual act being carried out. Majority of the men would suppress the base instinct, if not spontaneously, at least after stopping to think.

A minuscule minority willfully obliterates any hint of protest from inner self and also the consequences that are sure to come calling. If the time and place are amenable to their proclivity, these men go ahead and accomplish their mission.

Here, let us talk about the complete absence of incidents of women raping men. I would love to hear of this happening in some corner of the planet. Men’s provocative dress can and indeed does play a provocation for women too. Why then don’t women rape? They do not have to. They just have to be even faintly suggestive in their words or actions and their target will jump on her and oblige her. Brave indeed is the man who does not fall for the proposition. Is there any, anyway?
    What about child-rapes? Do children, even if they are naked, titillate men even a little to incite rape? No, not at all. So, why do they rape children?

I have been thinking a lot of about rapes in general and child-rapes in particular. In my personal opinion, a child rapist should be castrated and the fact should be carved on his forehead. I suspect though that even this shameful declaration written right on such a low-life’s person will not deter the other low-lives.

I have come to the conclusion that the rape of children does not have anything to do with sexual attraction. There is nothing in children's tiny little anatomy to stimulate the thoughts of rape. How does this happen then?

Let us go back to the dresses that reveal all. When a sexually unstable person (more men than not, I think) is subjected to a display of raw female flesh, he might not remember the presentation for a long time. But the incident would be filed away in a corner of his memory system. When the display is there for him to feast his eyes on many times on any given day, the file in his brain would grow with each page getting embedded progressively stronger.

Slowly but surely, he is captivated by the thoughts of sexual union with whoever is dressed to kill. Reaching the breaking point is only a matter of time. Married men or men with partners with such intentions take the easy way out: They imagine they are in intimacy with the object of their desire when actually performing the act with their wives. It would be such a “deeply” engaging act that wives may even wonder at the ferocity but make hay while the sun shines, anyway.

If, for any reason (there can be any number of these), an easily excitable man cannot get an outlet, the pent-up emotion has to find some way to express itself. If rape is that way out,well, he is ready for it. He is blind to the fact that a child is not a woman; also, that the woman he is currently raping is not the woman of his desire. After all, the ultimate thought on his mind is of the orifice between the legs. And, after all, every female technically has it, be it a child or an old woman well past her prime.

I want to make it very clear that the above is a treatise that expounds only one possible rationalization behind rapes. It is not an indictment of women's scanty dresses. For, it is obvious that there are many reasons besides dresses that lead to the heinous crime.

1. vishnum969 profile image80
      vishnum969posted 10 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion, the use of words like 'sex and rape' on many occasions is restricting your hub. Further, you can make the first two paragraphs into one.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

Here is HubPages' guide to improving a Hub,

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … y-of-a-Hub

Go down all their suggestions one at a time and review your Hub.

As far as your content goes, you seem to be saying just what you think, leaving out vast amounts of sociological and psychiatric evidence and documentation on the subject matter, a goodly amount of which disproves a significant number of things you are saying.  You might want to address that.

thirdmilleniumposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I thought one had the privilege to air one's views without taking recourse to present evidence for or against. A debate is what is expected to begin.  I also thought that as long as there is no atrocious grammar or other language discrepancies or obscene content, one can hope to publish his hub. 

I am not going to make any more revisions and that is that.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is an example of a very good hub. It scored 9-8-9. http://hubpages.com/sample/ae892

This is an example of a bad hub It scored 4-4-8 http://hubpages.com/sample/ae4uG

This a horrible hub. It scored 1-1-1. http://hubpages.com/sample/aearQ

This is the rubric (of sorts) that your hubs are scored on: http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

Review yourself honestly. Really, honestly. Is your hub closer to the first, second or third hub? Because only the first example was good enough to pass QAP.

2. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can hope all you want, but unless the Hub meets the quality standards (which I linked to previously) the content will not be published.  That's what the Quality Assurance Policies are about.  Read 'em and adjust your Hub content appropriately, or don't.

And in case you aren't aware, repeatedly submitting substandard content for review without genuinely improving it can lead to whole accounts being banned.  I notice that none of your 35 Hubs appear to be Featured. 

Have a nice day!

3. Travis Kaoulla profile image60
    Travis Kaoullaposted 10 years ago

My friend, this is a very poorly written article. This article is expressed as being based on facts, but it is not; this article is purely conjecture.  There is no rationalization to rape. There are explanations as to why some men rape and others do not, but there is NEVER rationalization to it.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it would have been well-written, had substance and been well-organized it would have gotten high QAP scores. It might have been flagged, possibly, but the rater would have ground his/her teeth and rated it to scale.

I have read hubs that made me want to put my fist through my computer screen, but they were well-written, had substance and were well-organized. They got rated well.

I am offended as hell by the subject matter here, but I'm guessing that's not why the hub is substandard.

I'm still trying to figure out how one can be "in intimacy"

I guess my attempt at being subtle got lost in the dust raised. By IN INTIMACY, I meant the sexual union. I used the euphemism coz I thought HP may not take kindly to the actual phrase.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
          Pearldiverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well let's just say:
          "Sometimes you are forked if you do and forked if you don't!"  sad

4. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

Don't you just love that you can write about almost anything on the internet!
    While I applaud this in some ways I also find that some peoples attempts at writing are at best distasteful and quite frankly full of crap..

That aside, maybe being able to write something that makes sense would also help, you can make your own judgements about the following paragraph from the hub in question...

"A minuscule minority willfully obliterates any hint of protest from inner self and also the consequences that are sure to come calling. If the time and place are amenable to their proclivity, these men go ahead and accomplish their mission."

But i guess that makes perfect sense to someone out there and will not need improvement; easier to blame HP and the "censors" that "don't know what they are talking about!"

Personally I would not change a thing... go ahead and shout at hp and demand that they publish it! Then shout at google and demand that they send traffic to you!! Complain some more, better to put your efforts into complaining than to learn how to write!

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8571687.jpg

5. chasmac profile image89
    chasmacposted 10 years ago

Look at the passage beginning with:
    "Here, let us talk about the complete absence of incidents of women raping men. I would love to hear of this happening in some corner of the planet."

Leaving aside the mechanics involved upon which the term 'rape' may be defined, let's substitute 'serious sexual assault'. You are, in effect, saying that no woman has ever committed a serious sexual assault on a man because at the first sign of such an assault, the man becomes a willing partner to the act. This is not only highly ill-informed but also highly offensive to all genuine victims of such assaults, none of whom were willing partners but who were physically or mentally not strong enough to repel the assault.

Cases of sexual assault of men by women are tiny in number compared to those of women by men, but you don't have to scour the far corners of the planet to find such cases. They're on record in every major city.

I must apologize for my categorical statement. I readily concede that there have been and will be instances of women raping men

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

A hub about rape (in any way) is never going to be approved.  Advertisers do not want to be associated with that.

Thanks for letting me know.I change my stance accordingly now. There has been no rape of any kind anywhere, at any time, by any human or animal since the beginning of time and I guarantee there will not even be a hint of an act like that until kingdom come.  However, I wish HP management was candid enough to tell me that instead of beating around the bush and rambling about improvements.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's "candid" you want?  In the learning center:
        http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/restricted-topics

"HubPages is not a traditional blog site, on which people publish journal-type entries."

"To enable Hubbers to continue to earn from ads on their Hubs and maintain HubPages as a site that is safe for general audiences, we must unpublish Hubs containing mature content."

Lots and lots of good information there if you choose to research just a bit.

1. vishnum969 profile image80
          vishnum969posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agree with you, we must avoid contents that is provocative in nature.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)