New Year Goals

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (72 posts)
  1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image61
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 10 years ago

What are your goals for 2014? I have spent about an hour and half the other day thinking about what I would like to achieve in the New Year.
    I would like to read what your goals are. How will you accomplish them, and what are your thoughts about making sure you don't give up.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8571207_f248.jpg

Photo: courtsey of freephotos.com

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jo,

Just so you did not think I was ignoring this question - like you, I need a quiet hour and a half to get my mind around it. 

Blessings

Sally

Jo_Goldsmith11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sally,
        I perfectly understand. I look forward to reading what your thoughts are.
        Blessings. :-)

2. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My main goal is to get at least a little closer to having my novels listed in the top 100 at places like Amazon. In order to do that, I need to develop some better marketing strategies.

Send me a list of your novels via e-mail on my
        profile page. I will assist you with the marketing
        if you would like. :-) That is a great goal! And I would
        be happy to offer my experience & marketing expertise for
        the accomplishment of this goal. :-)

3. Heather Says profile image92
      Heather Saysposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Like Suzanne Day, I too plan to write 100 Hubs during 2014.  This would entail writing between 8 and 10 Hubs per month (hopefully closer to 10 so I could surpass my goal).  Breaking it down in to 2 or 3 hubs per week makes it attainable.  I plan to keep a better physical list of upcoming Hubs to keep me organized and on task.  Since my Hubs are primarily recipe- and DIY-oriented, the bulk work of each Hub is usually hands-on work and documenting through photographing.  I've very recently found personal success with completing two dishes or projects in the same afternoon (back to back and including many pictures), and then spending that evening editing photos and posting to HubPages.  I'd like to stick to that schedule/idea to keep focused and productive instead my usual plan which is, "Oh I feel like doing a Hub today or maybe I'll do some food Hubbing on Thursday..."

That is so cool! If it is working for you, why change it? I will be sure to stop by and visit. One of the topics for the new Gold Award's is DIY topics. I wish you the very best and I am sure you will reach your goals!
        Thank you for sharing and what an awesome goal! :-)

4. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image61

Hi Everyone...:-)

Well, my list includes as I mentioned earlier. I will finish the one novel and have it ready for the public. I will have my screenplay finished and ready for submission for the contests in October/Nov of 2014. I will be thrilled and enjoy every minute of helping 10 unknown authors become successful and they will have the recogntion they have for so long struggled to reach.

And, I will be taking my retreat destination for about a month, to relax and give myself the down time I so desperatly need. Spending four years working 20 hour days and struggling myself. I believe I will deserve the needed break. :-)  Most importantly, are the authors who are going to see their work on retail store shelves, enjoy the thrilling time of a book party and with any luck.

I wish to as well, reach the 100 featured hubs accolade. and do this before I reach my three year anniv here. :-)

2. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

My goal is to have a fun year, full of restaurant meals, a holiday with the kids, some crafting, some jewellery buying. And write 100 hubs, slowly but with attention to them!

Suzanne,
      I have no doubt you will reach this goal.
      I see with the hubs you have now you are a hard worker.
      All the very best. :-)

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
        Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jo. I am of the "I'll write when I'm in the mood" variety, but it seems to work, although it will be sloooooow progress as I like to make each hub as good as it can get.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What great goals Suzanne, with a focus on treating yourself well.  Writing 100 hubs is do-able, especially  if you give yourself the permission to have a life and get some fodder for the articles.

Thanks Millionaire. I think it is achievable too as long as I don't go away again! But so far so good, I am actually more inspired now on HP than ever been. I'm finding the performance of longer hubs is much better for traffic/$ than what I was doing pre-Panda. And some nice restaurant meals won't hurt of course! Now to figure out if I can quit smoking anytime next year...

3. Katie Armstrong profile image83
    Katie Armstrongposted 10 years ago

My goal is to become gainfully employed, lol. I won't be able to pay off my student loans by making minimum payments out of my savings forever!

Katie,
      Please send me your resume in an e-mail through my
      profile page. I am looking to hire some folks. The pay will be
      per topic. Pay is not less than $9.00 per completed project. :-)
      Make sure you include *hire me* in subject line, so it doesn't go to the spam folder. I will keep my eyes open for it.

4. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

One thousand followers. Write hubs, as many as I have time for- Working on improving my writing.  Reading all billybuc's tutorials, finishing a couple of writing classes and not being a grumpy old woman.  We were on a train this evening and there were the grumpiest old people.  I don't think some of them were much older than I am, but they sure acted older.
    The train car was full of noisy little kids.  All they would have had to do is walk to another car to get peace and quiet. I definitely will work on being enjoyable to be around. 
    Run a 1/2 marathon, and ride my bike 100 miles.in one day.

Well, I better getting working on the tweets for all your fine work, then huh?
      I cheer you on as you complete all your items on your list of goals for 2014.
      I really enjoy your work tireless, and I am sure anyone who reads your work will too. Have a Blessed New year! :-)

1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
        tirelesstravelerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your kind words.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

With everything going on in my life with hubby's health issues, I don't make long-range plans.  I simply live by the expression, "carpe diem." 

One day at a time; do what I can with each day.
    Sure, there are things I'd like to accomplish, but I long ago gave up the tradition of New Year's Resolutions as a lost cause.  All they seem to do is make people depressed when they fail to achieve their stated aims.

So, back around 1989, I made my final New Year's Resolution, and the only one I've ever successfully kept:  I vowed to never again make any New Year's Resolutions.

I don't have many goals beyond getting through one more day; writing a bit if I find the energy and an intriguing topic; surfing the web a bit, playing with and enjoying our cats, and being there for my husband.  Maybe that's not lofty or noteworthy, but it's where I am.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
      tirelesstravelerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

MsLizzy, Those are noble goals.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@ tirelesstraveler,
          Thank you very much!  I appreciate your praise!
        ( I'm afraid I'd feel much more "noble" were I filthy rich enough to build and maintain the huge animal rescue sanctuary that has long been a dream...but, at this point in my life, I've had to let that go for so many reasons...money being the first, and lack of  knowledge on running a large operation and setting up a non-profit, etc. etc....)

2. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image61

@ DzyMsLizzy,
      I certainly understand where you are coming from. At least you have one goal you have remained steady and true to yourself and family. This in itself is a huge accomplishment!  Wishing you the very best! :-)

A Jo_Goldsmith11,
          Thank you so very much.  I appreciate your kind words.

3. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is one of the most meaningful and valuable posts I've seen anywhere on this forum in a long time.  My love and best wishes go out to you and hubby-and my gratitude as well at having found a kindred spirit in the cyber world.  Thank you-and my family thanks you too for reminding me of the supreme importance of making them the focus of my resolve.

Peace, MsLizzy.  smile

Why, thank you very much, Motown2Chitown! 
        :: blushing ::
        I'm most pleased that you found my rather ordinary life praiseworthy.  Thank you again for your most kind words of encouragement.
        Hub-hugs, Lizzy

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Aside from the fact that MY cats are dogs, our ordinary lives are eerily similar.  I find that extraordinary-and comforting.  We are never alone in our struggles, and that reminder strengthens me daily.  Hope abounds that you find it a comfort and a strength as well.

smile

6. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

Get published.

What are you trying to publish?

PS - I'm only asking because I've been published a lot, and could possibly assist.....depending....

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

smile My memoirs. I wrote a hub with the short version.

Oh OK, so you are looking for a publisher then, instead of publishing yourself?

1. WryLilt profile image88
              WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think finding a publisher will be less of an issue than finishing the book. Sigh!

Thanks for clarifying! I can't help with that, but maybe a ghost writer could?

Hello WryLilt!
      I feel so happy, you stopped in here. Maybe we could discuss the publishing aspirations you have. I am after all a publishing company! :-)

I am working on one of three novels. And one of them is for sure going to get published! :-)  I promise myself to complete one chapter of my novel, each day. So far so good. It takes me about two hours to complete one chapter. So, I think what is working for me is the small step of saying "okay, I just need to write one chapter."
      This way I am not working myself up into a lather, because the novel isn't getting finished. hope this helps! :-)

Thanks for your thoughts, and wishing you the very best.

7. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 10 years ago

My goal for 2014 is to develop alternative income streams for my retirement, because I've decided writing online is not going to do the job.

For those of you who know her, Lissie's post on her blog pretty much sums up my feelings:

http://lissowerbutts.com/taking-a-big-l … -business/

Lissie and I both started taking online writing seriously at about the same time, but she worked a lot harder at it than me, and was doing a lot better too, at one time   If she can't make it work, I certainly won't!

Don't give up Marisa.
      I like your hubs. They are really engaging and useful information there.
      Turn the negative around and you will be amazed at how far you can go! I was having the same negative feeling and it wasn't until I changed my thinking and attitude, focused on the positive and the ideas to making it come true. That is when I started to see results. And all because of Hub Pages and this wonderful community of talented people, like you! :-)

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jo, there's a difference between negativity and realism.  I've spent the last two years trying to make online writing work, and it's time to face reality.   In spite of all my efforts, I've watched my online income continue to fall. 

It is possible to make a living from writing online, but it's no longer possible to build a passive income - it's a job like any other, where you have to keep on creating new material week after week.  I know people who make a living writing online, but their life is spent in front of a computer screen.  For those who love writing, that may be a dream come true - but although I like writing, it's not my life's work.

By going back out in the real world and doing things like mystery shopping, eBay, casual work etc, I'm finding I can earn more in one day than I earn online in a week.  Which means I can work one day, and have the other six days to get out and get a life! 

I think one of the big dangers of writing online is that you can get so focussed on it, you close your eyes to the better opportunities that might be out there.

Okay, this is a new perspective I appreciate you for sharing. It gives me something to think about. I do understand your point of view. :-)
          there is quite a bit of opportunities but one needs to be so careful when choosing.

8. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Hub-wise, well, I kinda slacked off on the Hubbing this year, I'd like to increase my output in '14 and maybe -- who knows? -- finally make some stinkin' money out of writing this nonsense.  I've been treating this site as a hobby long enough....

Personally, I'd like to lose some weight (doesn't everybody?) and be a little more active. This year I decided to give up tobacco and that's been going OK so far, so it's time to move on to the next hump.

9. Hamshi profile image67
    Hamshiposted 10 years ago

-My first and most important goal right now is to get my 6 uni assignments done before deadline [Jan 3rd].

-Start gym asap to lose a bit of weight and tone up for summer 2014.

-Look into outsourcing content for my sites.

-Publish 50 hubs before next summer.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Take some vitamins.

1. Hamshi profile image67
        Hamshiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL me?

Only because you have a lot planned and need mega energy to do all of that!

LMAO I'm not sure if that's a sarcastic joke or not but thanks anyway. big_smile

No, not sarcastic at all.  I think you will probably achieve all of that.  Of course, finishing your degree is the most important thing on your list.  Everything will fall into place after that.

Thanks WF, that's very kind of you. smile

You write good Hubs, you deploy SEO, you know what you're doing – but I really was serious about the vitamins because you have so much on your plate right now.  Happy 2014!

1. Will Apse profile image87
                    Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You should read my SEO page. 'How not to Upset the Easily Upset and How not to Care if you Do.'

2. Hamshi profile image67

Thanks again. smile Ha my brain functions normal-perfectly fine whenever I manage to get my 8 hours of sleep. I think I'll have to work on that more than the vitamins lol. 
                    Happy 2014 to you too.

@WriterFox,
        That is great advice about taking vitamins. I know I should. My sweetie tells me this all the time. I just don't like taking pills of any kind. Even if it is a vitamin. I try to include lots of vegtables in my diet and I drink vitamin water.
        This is about all I am willing to do. :-)  Thanks for stopping in..wishing you the best! :-)

Listen to your sweetie!  Happy 2014!

Lol. Happy charm offensive.

What a sweet Writer Fox!

1. profile image0
              Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can't talk to you anymore. Ppl are saying terrible things. From now on, I will simply nod when I see you. If you can't see my nod, just know I did it. Sometimes I might smile too, but mostly it will be a very curt nod.

Curt is good. And so is Jurgen. I would not trust Hans.

1. profile image0

You know way too much stuff. Good day to you!

Bye, Beth. Don't step in any quadruped droppings.

10. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

My goal right now is to finish my book. I might never have written page one if it were not for a few fine folks here who gave their time to encourage me to keep at it and gave me some good advice as well. My personal goals are probably all too private, but that one I'm glad to share.

Beth!
      I send you much inspiration and strength to get your novel finished!
      You can do it! :-)  As far as the personal stuff goes..blessings and praying for miracles for you! :-)  You are so worth it! remember this!

Shalom

1. profile image0

That's the nicest thing ever! Thank you so much!

11. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

I don't see any point in writing long lists of goals. I never have.

I achieved quite a lot in my nearly 60 years of life, including a doctorate and a successful career without ever writing down a single goal.

Now I am happily living a life in a place where I want to live, doing work that feels like a game, and being answerable to no one except myself.

I just do what I want to do. As long as the net effect is to bring in enough money for me to continue doing what I want to do, I will continue to ignore the concept of "goals".

That's pretty much how I've lived my life--I do what I want (within the law--LOL), and every time I've tried writing down goals and pathways thereto, I've come across roadblocks and loss of inspiration or desire, and given it up.   It obviously was not what I really wanted to do, but some version of what someone else thought I should do....
      I got tired of trying to live up to someone else's expectations/ideals, and decided long ago to "just be me," and "seize the day!"

12. Bernando Smith profile image60
    Bernando Smithposted 10 years ago

Hi there
                    Just i want to acheive lot of favours in my carrer as an java analyst on best java training in the year 2014.

13. NornsMercy profile image60
    NornsMercyposted 10 years ago

I want to ride a horse.
    I'm going to learn how to knit.
    I'm going to train my dogs.
    I want to chisel my body for the beach.

smile

14. Zabbella profile image74
    Zabbellaposted 10 years ago

Hello, my goals are to get serious with the projects I started this fall.  Some folks would like me to illustrate for them. They wrote short stories and are looking for artwork.  They get published then I would get published. ( one would hope)
    I truly have to get my muse back...have been in a funk for a bit.  I have to network a little more, get serious and well hopefully get paid!

15. agilitymach profile image93
    agilitymachposted 10 years ago

I won't call them "goals" (OK...I wrote a hub on goals vs. dreams and why it's important to know the difference.  I won't rehash that. smile), but this year, I hope to:

-Attend the Nationals and World Team Tryouts for my sport.
    -Train two of my dogs to be diabetic alert dogs (already making great progress on this!  It's fun to train.).
    -Earn over $300 on HP.  Not a lot, I know, but it would make me happy.
    -Get an agility championship on one of my dogs and watch several of my students and friends do the same.
    -Start trialing my new puppy..
    -Continue to find joy, adrenaline (lots of it) and excitement in what I do for a living.
    -

16. profile image52
    johnp19posted 10 years ago

I want to see myself rich in 2014

17. susi10 profile image95
    susi10posted 10 years ago

I hope to:
    - Write 110 hubs next year on top of the number I have now
    - Make $200 next year, I would be very happy to get that
    - Get a constant stream of 500 hits or more per day by the end of next year
    And non-hubpages related:
    - I would like to become semi-fluent in Spanish (getting Rosetta Stone!)
    - Finish my Android App and sell it on Google Play

Happy new year to everyone!! big_smile

18. erorantes profile image50
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

Good luck with your wishes. Happy  Holidays to you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)