My traffic is spiking and it's scaring me

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (94 posts)
  1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years ago

My traffic had been picking up in a gradual manner. I was happy with it. Suddenly yesterday one hub got almost 400 hits, it had been holding at just under 100 per day, which I thought was good. My total traffic is at an all-time high.

This might sound like good news, but a similar thing happened around this time last year. Right after the spike my traffic went to 0. It was just before Christmas, and it was my Christmas hubs that were getting the traffic, so it's making me a little nervous.

1. Nell Rose profile image89
      Nell Roseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would just say yeah! lol! if it brings in the visitors then its great, worry about the low later!

2. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But, wouldn't you expect holiday Hubs to have more traffic just before the holiday than the rest of the year?

3. profile image0
      WhydThatHappenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A lot of my hubs have spiked as well, but it's around finals time and I have a lot of literary analyses lol

4. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Last year I received 4000 hits on my St Nicholas Day hub on that day. Just cheer. It happens this time of year. Count yourself lucky.

5. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

After reading your post I decide to check my hubs, nope, no spikes. I wouldn't worry about it. It may go down after Christmas but hopefully it won't be as bad as last year. Last year after Christmas weren't we hit by one of those animals?? My Christmas hubs don’t even have spikes.

6. Kenna McHugh profile image91
      Kenna McHughposted 2 years agoin reply to this

From this post, the imagery I got is Kubrick's movie Dr. Strangelove where the pilot, wears in a cowboy hat, rides the atom bomb as it falls over Russia. My point: enjoy the ride!

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 10 years ago

How do you expect a seasonal hub to act when it's the relevant time of the year?

3. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

I'm finding hubs are performing differently this time of the year, some that weren't as popular are getting extra traffic and some good ones have dropped a bit. I seem to have a much higher CPM lately too, which is good news, probably because people are out buying presents. I say that more traffic this time of the year is good for more cash for you!

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

This is the second thread I've seen recently about hubbers afraid of increased traffic?  Christmas hubs should be seeing a significant increase right now and they obviously lose traffic after the holidays.  Last year one of my Christmas hubs increased to between 600-800 daily views for a period of time. People find hubs they like and share them.  Enjoy it.  The views will drop after Christmas.

Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Of course I know the Christmas hubs rise in December and then fall off sharply after Christmas. It's just that when the same thing happened last year the bottom fell out a week BEFORE Christmas, and my traffic went to literally 0 on all of my hubs, seasonal or not.

I think I got on some kind of Google blacklist, it took six months before I saw even a trickle again. But, I'm not going to worry about that. Better to spend my time writing a hub that might have a life AFTER Christmas.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like you received some sort of penalty.  That wasn't entirely clear in your opening post about losing traffic to all of your hubs.  I thought you meant you lost traffic to the Christmas hub.  Hopefully you're simply seeing a seasonal spike.

Yes, I hope so. It is exciting to see the numbers go up, even if it is temporary.

5. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 10 years ago

Back in HubPages heyday (2010-2011) it wasn't uncommon for top Hubs to get several thousand pageviews on just a regular ol' day, and for traffic spikes to be tens of thousands of views in a 24 hour period.

That's why some of us are surprised that someone would find a few hundred pageviews on a relevant seasonal Hub alarming.

All traffic is transitory.  It might only last for hours, or days, or even several months, or it might last a few years...but it doesn't last forever.

After two years here I have yet to see 1000 visits in a day. I'm not the only one, there are plenty more like me who get excited about a few hundred views.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's fine to get excited, it's a different matter to get scared.   Traffic can spike occasionally, it's rarely something to worry about - especially if it's a seasonal Hub and it's the season.

2. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is the death spike, Sherry.

You will only survive if you read my SEO page on 'How to Survive a Google Death Spike'.

And I haven't written it yet.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Me too.  Have never hit a thousand in total.  Let alone a single page.

1. Will Apse profile image87

Your need to read my popular SEO hit, 'How to get a Thousand Visitors to your Page.'

Banned, sadly, on HP since it requires baby fat to fry the eye of newt.

That's because you hate SEO.  Other people (not me) have responded to your posts on this Forum giving you advice about how to optimize your Hubs so that they are found on Google search results.  But you choose not to implement their suggestions and, instead, claim that you are now down to 100 Hubs, from the 300 you had.

You say you were banned on Pinterest because you were only promoting yourself and you never posted other people's work:
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/113332#post2411241

This is what you posted:
          "But then you must mix and match with other peoples pics so you don't look like a spammer - that's how I got banned.  ALL my pics were my own."

On HubPages, no one will ever get enough views from other Hubbers to make it worthwhile financially to write a Hub. (Of course you can just write for the joy of writing, but if your Hub fails to get traffic from search engines it will become unfeatured.)  My Hubs which receive more than 1,000 views per day address topics which people are actively searching for on Google.  If you are unwilling to address the Google searcher, then posting your work on Bubblews is probably the best decision, because on Bubblews, all you have to do is go comment on 100 Bubbles and you will – hold your breath – make $1.00.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81

WF - I am glad you have to opportunity to tell people how many views you claim and how good you are at SEO.  I am not interested because I don't trust claims on the internet.  There are occasionally people I listen to but they are very few indeed.  Good luck with pulling in some morons.

As regards my simple comment above.  It was to someone I regard as an internet friend - simply sharing experience.  No ulterior motive.  No complaints. Just a simple this is how it is.

1. Writer Fox profile image32

It's interesting that you think Hub Pages writers are morons.  Google doesn't think so.  The traffic to HubPages yesterday was 1,213,895 unique visitors according to Quantcast – most of whom were sent by Google.

You should read my SEO page 'Numbers are Not Everything.'

But you didn't write that Hub.  Besides, income from HubPages really is a numbers game.  When you do figure that out and write that Hub, I know we will all be interested in reading it.

2. profile image0
                Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is this term over my head or does it not make sense?

It is a term used by Special SEO Professionals.

1. profile image0

Do you have a hub I could read on that?

No.  It's just over both your heads.  Don't you two have a novel to work or something? Waiting breathlessly. . .

3. Dawn Denmar1 profile image69
                Dawn Denmar1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

A while back one of the top writers on a site I wrote used to receive over a million page views a month which sort of eclipses the HP visitor totals somewhat..... Shows just how far content writing has dropped in search and whether we can get it back anywhere near levels like that I somehow doubt....but here's hoping!

What site was that?

1. Dawn Denmar1 profile image69

It was back in 2010/11 and no longer relevant......

2. Dawn Denmar1 profile image69

Well it was Suite.... the new Managing Editor was up front with a lot of details when he joined and he gave us a top 1000 list and top ten earnings list which was very interesting.... but as I said no longer relevant!

3. Sherry Hewins profile image92

Thanks for backing me up Mark Ewbie. It's nice to see a friendly avatar from a fellow peon.

Cheers Sherry - that's the HP I like smile

1. profile image0

Thank you Mark, you're very kind. smile

6. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I'll take any traffic spikes I can get. Yesterday I published a new hub, went to bed, and when I woke up this AM I had almost 200 views on it already. Been a while since that happened. The last few I've posted haven't even made 200 views in total yet.

So now I can go steal it?

Is that something you would like to do?

HohoHo. WF made a funny.

You should read my SEO page on 'How to Make a Funny'.

You give me too much credit.  You made the funny; I just called attention to it because not everyone here knows that your night job is being a stand-up comedian in a Thailand night joint. I trust they give you a cute costume for that gig.

You should read my hub, 'Do not think of Thailand if You have Unresolved Desires'.

It is sort of SEO of the Soul.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
              LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

WF, if I may be so bold and offer some advice, please do not take everything so seriously. Some of the writers here have been on HP for quite some time, are good writers, help others, are generally friendly and like "tongue in cheek" humor.
              This is in a way a community, and in  my humble opinion we should all get along............hmm

BTW; I read some of your hubs and finally "get it" so far as the importance of writing a good intro.

It is good of you say to this Luis but I'm not sure I deserve it.  In fact, I know that I don't.

How is that Cardinal on twitter, by the way?

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77

Well, he is apparently following me and has re-tweeted several of my tweets.

That did surprise me. I can't imagine someone in the Vatican tweeting, lol.

Don't mention these forums to him. Beth will try to seduce him. She is absolutely uncontrollable.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
        FatFreddysCatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nah, you don't wanna steal my stuff. I suck. Go steal the OP's hub that's gotten 400 hits. She's obviously twice the writer that I am.

(NOTE to OP and everybody else: I keed, I keed.)

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92

That's great FatFreddysCat - I hope it's a winner for you.

7. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I would pay money...

You don't need money, Beth. Just elbows, knees and teeth.

1. profile image0

Is that a british saying?

2. Rehana Stormme profile image72
        Rehana Stormmeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, not again! Good Lord...

1. profile image0

Im gonna be honest, I still don't know what elbows knees and teeth means... and I googled it. lol
          Is this kathryn?

Elbows, knees and teeth are things you might use if you are not going to fight fair. Rehana Stormme (remarkable name) seems to think it means 'hammer and tongs' in a cheap motel.

1. profile image0

great, now I have to google hammer and tongs... which... no matter what it ends up saying, sounds like a bad idea.

8. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Well I think we all know the kind of person we are dealing with in Writer Fox/Aunt Mollie.

http://www.squidoo.com/lensmasters/Aunt-Mollie

Love the avatar...

Wow.  That really is my Aunt Mollie, my real aunt.  No kidding.  But she doesn't write there anymore.  She's a full time journalist and is on assignment in New York.

I am not inclined to believe that.

Anyway, as I said before. I think everyone in these forums can see what you are.

No charm offensive will smooth over this kind of behavior.

I just emailed her about the link you gave her.  She'll be thrilled.

2. Sed-me profile image79
          Sed-meposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Just like an Englishman. Why use one word when seven will do?

Will Apseposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Will is currently taking a sabbatical.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
              PaulGoodman67posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Glad you are still with us in the land of the living at least, Will! smile

Will Apseposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Rather grateful I will soon get a pension, lol. The rest of you had better keep your shoulders to the wheel...

Best of luck!

9. profile image0
    JRoberts11posted 10 years ago

Frankly forum posts like this are starting to scare me. HubPages forums seems to be the place for all kinds.

10. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

Hey WF - pulling from other threads to make some sort of point is nasty.  That was a shameful thing you tried on Beth.

I am not bothered that you attempted it on me.  I have formed my opinion of you and you are of no interest or use.

It was nasty and underhand behaviour.  There are things far more important than SEO or being right all the time.

1. profile image0
      JRoberts11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey mark -Putting a message to a hubber you dont like on a public forum to make some sort of point is nasty. That was a shameful thing you tried on WF.

I am not bothered that you are a troll. I have formed my own opinions on trolls.

It was nasty and underhanded behavior. There are things far more important than defending beths honer, or being prince charming all the time.

I have been here three years and made some friends, and some enemies.  I am fairly real, fairly open, occasionally insulting and flawed.  I have made a kind of connection with Beth - we have shared occasional laughs, have a similar angle on some things.

That is reason enough for me to pick up on nastiness.  I didn't bother with WF's efforts against me earlier because it is not important to me.  Of no consequence.  Likewise yourself.

I try to stay out of the forums - and fail sometimes - and know it is a waste of time.  But sometimes I think I need to say something.  So I said it.

Forum rules prevent me from telling you where to go, where to stick your head and what level you reach on the scale of reasonable human - so I'll leave it there.

1. profile image0

I wonder if beth feels the same way? She often talks of staking and I wonder who that may be she refers to.
          Be careful with your end paragraph there. I dont realy have restraints. I will tell it like that. Dont make the "ive been here 3 years and your a noob" mistake just yet. Maybe my account is so new for a reason.
          You just keep on pursuing the beth angle on every post. Ill keep following it. Like your hubs, entertainment here is cheep and tawdry.

Last response from me to you.  Anyone who can't spell "realy" or "cheep" does not feature on my people I need to converse with list.

Good bye.

1. profile image0

Well, sinns u are eyether high or drunk Ill agree. You shood delete your account. I souport ur decisionm. You are a terrible righter.
              Mark Ewbie is my hero!

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image77

+1 !!!!!!!!

+1

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image77

Don't you think creating a presence just to post in the forums is a waste of your time and resources?................................hmm

1. profile image0

ahh Louis that is what HP forums are all about some times.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)