does a supernatural event occur at some point?

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 10 years ago

i asked this question in the Q&A section a while back and only got 1 response. given any worldview wouldnt a supernatural event had to have taken place at some point? most theist would obviously say a god/gods created everything. both theists and atheists for the most part dont disagree with the big bang theory. correct me if im misunderstanding the big bang, but isnt that also just a point in time? seems like either everything was created by something eternal or everything sprang up from nothing. Both in my opinion would be supernatural or other than natural occurrences.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, the big bang was not a point in time as there WAS no time at the instant of it's happening. 

Supernatural?  I suppose so as there were no natural laws, either, and so was by definition outside the natural world of laws.  It doesn't fit the idea of a supernatural world (universe), either, though...

1. profile image0
        christiananrkistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

that concept has always confused me. how could there be no time? is time a physical thing? was the big bang a thing that banged, or nothing that banged? if its the first where did that thing come from? if its the latter, can you explain how nothing can bang? sorry to ask questions irrelevant to the discussion i originally posted. i know it wouldnt be a supernatural world, but does seem to be a supernatural event.

You're asking question that no one can answer with definitive answers.

However, as I understand it, the big bang created the space/time continuum, including time itself.  It created all mass, and it created the natural laws of the universe.

While there may have been a cause, there may not have been one; not everything needs a cause to produce an action.  Did it happen as a result of natural causes?  No one knows, but there is certainly no indication that a god was necessary to bring it about. 

If you wish to define it as supernatural, have at it.  You might want to think about what that word means first, though - exactly what does "supernatural" mean, how does it affect the natural world?  Is it even there, as there has never been any indication that it exists?  Is it just a meaningless buzz word, created to mean "I don't know" or "It has to do with my God"?

1. profile image0

no offense, but if i said to most atheists i know, "You're asking question that no one can answer with definitive answers", i would get ripped apart. i feel like the questions i asked are legitimate questions. maybe that just my opinion. can you give an example in the natural world where something has gone into action without a cause? i cant think of one. even so, seems like such an unimaginable sized explosion would need a cause. im ok if people dont want to go with a creator caused it, but to say it can just happen seems unscientific and unnatural. supernatural -  being above or beyond what is natural; unexplainable by natural law or phenomena (from dictionary.com)

What happens without a cause?  Electrons move about the nucleus without a cause.  Subatomic particles pop into and out of existence without a cause.  A great deal happens without a cause, just nothing we are familiar with in our everyday lives.

Listen to yourself:  A singularity (about which we know nothing) explodes into the universe (an action we know extremely little about) and natural laws including time (a concept outside any of our experience) and you want to say there has to be a cause because everything you're familiar with has one. 

When you have spent a lifetime studying cosmology and physics, you might (might) have a reason to make such a statement.  Until then, you most definitely do not.  You can only go with what those who HAVE made that study say, and they all say there need be no cause for the big bang.  That you cannot imagine the big bang without a cause means exactly nothing as you have neither the experience nor knowledge to even consider it.

1. profile image0

funny thing is you're the one turning this into a religious debate. why because i mentioned God? because i have christian in my name? i was simply stating what most theists believe as an example of supernatural. by the way you do the same thing. why do you say those things dont have a cause? because nothing familiar to you can possibly explain it? since nothing you know of could cause these things they must not have a cause, right? and how about religion? when you spent a life time studying all there is to know about a possible creation , every religion, and the possibility of supernatural events, then and only then can you assert there is no God. why do you say there isnt one? because you not familiar with anything supernatural happening in your own life? Now, where does this type of argument take us? nowhere. so , why don't we just get of the christians are ignorant because they believe in God horse. its old. do you seriously think i haven't heard all these statements before? i do thank you for the 2 examples you gave and for actually answering my questions though. Everything after was unnecessary and unhelpful. this is why i ask the questions i do. to possibly learn and get helpful insights. one more point. there is evidence for ID. and i am positive you have heard some. just because you accept it, or consider it reliable, doesn't make it not evidence. .

2. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We don't need to be able to explain it by the rules reality has now.  Because it had different rules then.  And even not being able to explain it at all does not make it magic.

1. profile image0

when you say rules, do you mean every natural law we know according to science? how could the laws of physics or thermodynamics for example change over time?

3. profile image0
          Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The theory is not that nothing banged. Much like a bomb all the material is said to have been compressed into the tinniest of spots and for reasons not yet understood decompressed. Time is not really constant and where high amounts of gravity exist time is slowed down, like in a black whole. The concept of something occurring without the time to do it is rather interesting.

1. profile image0

that is interesting. i guess i have to do more research on time. it doesn't seem like time itself can be slowed down to me. only how we perceive it. such as how we determine a 24 hour period. even the explosion of the tinniest thing there could ever be, still leaves in my mind the question, where did that come from?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, there are world views where the supernatural simply does not exist.  From that point of view everything coming from "nothing" (or however all this stuff got here) does not need to do so with the help of ghosts or pixies or psychic whatsits or Gods. Not knowing exactly how it happened just means we don't know exactly how it happened.  No need to fill the gaps with stuff outside the domain of stuff and energy.

Good point.  Ignorance is never a reason to simply make up an answer.

1. profile image0

im not making up answers. i simply explore EVERY option, and choose to believe what i think is the best answer. its having a theory and going with it. some of the best discoveries in our world was because some one came up with a theory.

And that is a reasonable method of finding truth, right up to the point where the "best" answer is chosen.  Without evidence of being true or real, no answer can be the best possible.  If NO answer has evidence then no answer is best.

This is in direct confrontation with ID; that answer has zero evidence to back it.  Instead, ignorance of what happened is used to proclaim that it is the only thing possible.  An obvious fallacy when arguing from ignorance.

1. Zelkiiro profile image86
              Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Argument from Ignorance has claimed people much greater than moronic Intelligent Design proponents, as well. Both Sir Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein come to mind, as the former stated that the only way gravity was possible was because of God's will, and the latter proposed a Cosmological Constant because he didn't want to believe the universe was expanding (and, by extension, had a beginning).

One has to wonder about the political ramifications of Newton's declaration - did he know better but wish to live outside a jail cell?  We'll likely never know.

Einstein - sounds rather like proposing dark matter because we want to believe the universe is expanding.  Science does this all the time, then looks for proof one way or the other.  That's why I say it is a reasonable method of discovery.

Unfortunately, "proof" of ID is that the myth is present in the minds of proponents.  That and our ignorance of the details of the big bang...

2. profile image0

It's become human nature to claim God done it when one doesn't understand something. That was Newton's error. But it wasn't Einstein's, that's why Einstein got gravity correct and Newton had it wrong.

Is it possible that thousands of years ago, when language was in it's infancy, that "goddunnit" meant "I don't know"?  That it slowly changed to "Do what I tell you or else" with changes in the power structure of the tribe?

1. profile image0

Everyone wants to be a know-it-all, so when people are asked questions like "Where did those stars come from?" they could always answer with Goddonit.

2. profile image0

in what world view or explanation has everything gotten here from natural causes?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)