Wikipedia stealing articles

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Pamela N Red profile image83
    Pamela N Redposted 10 years ago

I discovered today that the German Wikipedia (Wikiversity) stole one of my articles so you may want to check and see if they have any of your work.

The aggravating thing is that I have a Google Alert set up for that story but was never notified about this.

I sent Wikiversity an email and received a notice about another person's complaint. They have volunteers that take care of emails so who knows how this will turn out.

They also tell you in their disclaimer before you email them that they can't be held responsible since all of their content can be changed by anyone. Which is why you should never use anything you read there unless you have verified the information.

I noticed my views had fallen off drastically in recent weeks. That particular article has always been popular with a lot of traffic so I should have checked it out sooner.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You could also sign in and add it to the talk page, or potentially reverse the change yourself if they are slow.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it was on Wikipedia, I would just sign up as an editor and change it myself.  You don't need special approval to change a Wiki page - that's why accuracy is such a problem!

Not sure what the situation is with the German version.

Pamela N Redposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know I could do that, Marisa. Good idea.

It doesn't come up in the English version, only the German even though the article is in English.

I've never held very much respect for Wikipedia and knew people could go in and change information but I haven't done so myself.

3. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can file a DMCA notice against Wikipedia just like you do with any other site.  It is not above the law.

But that would be the slow way to do it.  Just making the change and explaining why on the talk page would be a lot quicker.

1. Writer Fox profile image31

The DMCA might get the person who did that banned or at least discourage him from doing it again.  (He can re-edit, too.)

From what I'm reading, it may be difficult to find out who posted it since most people are volunteers.

Every post is electronically tagged to the user who made it.  But it is a bit like asking the police to correct graffiti.  Easier to just get a can of paint.  Just be sure to explain the reason on the "talk" page or it will get reversed.

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I knew the guy who wrote the wikipedia entry for our village in Spain.

The entry was titled the "village name", English version or some such.

Some Spanish guy kept re-writing it in Spanish, despite the fact that a Spanish language entry already existed.

The guy I knew was getting really frustrated because some-one edited it about 6 times and he had to keep re-editing.

I'm assuming the German entry is in English when a hub is copied. In which case, it shouldn't be too difficult to edit.

I'm going to check into editing it today. Thanks everyone for your input.

I deleted the page and in it's place left this notice:
        This page has been deleted due to copyright violations.
        Then below that I left a link to my article so they are now helping me with back links. How thoughtful. smile

1. jponiato profile image89
          jponiatoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Excellent.  I'd be curious to find out how much traffic you get from that.

3. Thomas Swan profile image97
    Thomas Swanposted 10 years ago

Many have given good answers, but what struck me about your problem was the ineffectiveness of Google Alerts. I haven't had a single alert yet, and I'm reading from many people that the system doesn't work anymore. I don't see any alternative now other than copying a sentence from a hub and putting it into google search to check for stolen hubs. That takes ages though. I wish there was a quicker way (that is free).

Thomas I get alerts in my email sometimes but most of the time they aren't copied content and just similar articles.

I have over a hundred articles online and don't have time to go through them all and check to see if I've been plagiarized but I spent most of the day doing just that.

It's a shame we have to do that but if we make a living writing online we don't have much of a choice.

I used this website to look for copied content and it seems to work pretty well but still a manual site.

http://www.plagiarismchecker.com/

1. Writer Fox profile image31

Copyscape is good.  It has a free version but I think you have to use that at the beginning of the month because there is a limit per website for the free one and HubPages gets many requests.  The paid version is 5ยข per search and you have to purchase $10 at a time and use all $10 within one year. There's another version that automatically checks for you every day and that's best for your own websites.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Copyscape isn't free but it only costs about 5c per Hub.

4. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

This post made me start searching for more sites that have copied my contents. All I can do is sigh. This is getting overwhelming. Any hub that is a few years old is copied.

5. Gail Meyers profile image64
    Gail Meyersposted 10 years ago

Pam, I usually research physically in the library or with on a page with high authority because I noticed some time ago some of the information is inaccurate.  Then I discovered what you said, virtually anyone can edit it.  It is a great concept, but a concern when so many people look at it just like an encyclopedia.  However, I am a little surprised to hear of the scraping!

Barbara, I have had every hub that built any kind of juice cut and pasted from top to bottom, often including the ads.  Google did respond well to the complaints I filed.

Gail, the ones that are amusing are the ones that give our personal opinions on a subject. Some even have our names listed in the article. Those are usually people who don't speak English.

I too use the library, museums or personal experience for my articles. I've never taken much stock in Wikipedia and like them even less after this incident.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)