Disney now owns exclusive distribution rights to Indiana Jones

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 10 years ago

According to various reports, Disney has finally reached a deal with Paramount over the distribution rights for the Indiana Jones franchise.  Although it's commonly known that Indiana Jones is owned by Lucasarts (another film studio that disney bought out recently), the reality is that the deal Lucasarts had signed, several years prior, gave paramount exclusive distribution rights over all Indiana Jones films.

Needless to say, this kind of threw a gutter wrench into Disney's plans of ever utilizing the Indiana Jones franchise...until now that is.  According to reports, Paramount will still retain exclusive distribution rights over the past four Indiana Jones movies; while Disney will get exclusive distribution rights over any future Indiana Jones films and/or spin offs from here on out.  It's also reported that Paramount will still get a percentage of the profits for any future Indie flicks as well. 

At this time, Disney has mad no official announcement on whether or not they'll even make another indiana jones film, but I doubt seriously they wouldn't considering they went through so much trouble getting the distribution rights from paramount. 

what are your thoughts? should they make another indie film?  and if you think they should, then should it be a sequel?  Or a reboot perhaps?  Spin off maybe?  what are your thoughts?

1. Titen-Sxull profile image72
      Titen-Sxullposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think another Indy film COULD work but I doubt one is in the works for the time being. Indiana Jones isn't quite the box office juggernaut that something like the new Star Wars films promise to be.

I'd honestly rather see a new Indiana Jones TV show or even a Netflix show. The last thing I want to see is Harrison Ford embarrass himself by signing on for another badly written Indy sequel so having a young actor step into the role of Doctor Jones as part of a TV show would be less risky. It also allows them to explore the fairly robust expanded Universe. As a kid I owned several "Choose your own Adventure" style Indiana Jones books and I know of quite a few other novels exploring Indy's out-of-movie experiences. Naturally Indy is another Lucas homage to old adventure serials so having it in episode form makes sense.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 10 years agoin reply to this

True.  Star Wars does have a lot more box office potential, and has more possibilities of leading into spin offs.  However, the last indie film still made over 800 million dollars worldwide the last time i checked; in spite of all the negative reviews and reactions from both audiences and film critics alike.  Therefore, I wouldn't say that indie doesn't has a big box office draw.  Of course if they do release another film, the reality is it'll have a huge hurdle to climb in order to convince people it's better than the last indie flick.

2. LofZOdyssey profile image61
      LofZOdysseyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know I can't wait to see what Disney does with all the LucasArts films (and by all LucasArts films I am really only talking about Star Wars and Indiana Jones).

As for a new Indy movie, I am torn.  I would very much like to see Harrison Ford give one more go at it, but I also recognize that if he hasn't reached his limit on character that day is coming soon. 

If Disney decides to go ahead and make the fifth film I know I will get excited about it.  But then again there is a lot more to a Indiana Jones movie then just Harrison Ford.  There is a laundry list of people need to make it feel like a movie in the franchise. 

Also I am aware what people are going to say, the fourth film proved that series needs a new team.  Unfortunately that is a mute point for me because I never really had a problem with Crystal Skull.  Was it as good as the first three, not even close. 

So is Disney going to make a new Indy movie?  I think the answer is probably.  It is going to need to get rid of its Star Wars fix first, but I see no reason to think that Disney wouldn't try it.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you have a point that disney probably won't make a new indy film right away, as I'm sure they're focused on other things at the moment.  However, i wouldn't be surprised after the new star wars comes out that we might be hearing about another indy film coming soon.

I think the bigger question is where do you go with him as a character though.  The last movie was met with a lot of mixed reactions, so it'll be interesting if the next indy film can overcome that criticism; similar to how "The Amazing Spider-man" had to overcome the harsh criticism that "Spider-man 3" got.

Plus, there's no guarantee that Harrison Ford can keep doing that role forever, as he's getting older to where he can't do the physical demanding stuff that he may have been able to do back in his younger days.

It happens to all of us.  Hell Jackie chan even announced recently that he's no longer going to do with any of his own stunts anymore, due to his physical abilities diminishing as he's gotten older.  Therefore, it'll be interesting to see where disney will go with this. 

I honestly think they should just reboot the franchise.  Whether it be on the big screen or on the small screen as Titen suggested, I think it's time we rebooted indiana jones. 

Granted, it was a great movie series for it's time that still holds up well to this day, but it's time to move on.  Sure, if they rebooted it, then it could easily suck, or it could be great.  However regardless of the outcome, we'll always have the originals, and it's not like they'll ever disappear, or be forgotten about, if the reboot is a failure or not.

Although rebooting the franchise does pose a lot of challenges as well.  For starters would George Lucas and Steven Spielberg be part of this?  If they're not, then that might cause some fans to not want to see the reboot done.  After all, one of the main reasons why some people didn't give "Terminator:  The Sarah Connor Chronicles" a chance was because Ahnuld (Arnold Schwarzenegger) wasn't in it.  Seriously this was the main reason why most people told me they wouldn't watch the damn show.

Therefore, it's not hard to imagine that some people wouldn't want to check out the reboot if george lucas and/or steven spielberg wasn't involved at some capacity.

of course, another challenge would be who would you get to play the iconic character?  many people still hate the new star trek reboot series because they're too fondly attached to the original series, so any actor they cast will have to do one helluva a job trying to win over audiences.

Not to mention the fact that the new movie would have to overcome the criticism of the last indy film, as i mentioned earlier.

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

This means the next Kingdom Hearts game might have a Star Wars stage and an Indiana Jones stage.

Freakin' sweet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)