WOW Huge Traffic Spike for HP Traffic - Xmass tree?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (44 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

Have you seen this traffic spike - Cause ??? Looks like Mobile generated, maybe HP posted huge pile of mobile pages on the site???

http://www.wotheheck.com/spike99.jpg

1. Millionaire Tips profile image93
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow that is huge ! Wasn't any of my hubs though. sad

2. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That may not be a spike of genuine traffic and bots have hit HubPages before.  If traffic doesn't sustain an upward trend for the week, it was probably a bot. We'll wait and see.

1. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I too will sound grave and important. Yes! We must wait and see what transpires in the short and medium term.

In the meantime, why not answer a question that can be cleared up immediately?

Which of Mark Ewbie's hubs do you consider to be of poor quality?

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118870? … ost2514744

3. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Most of that spike is from a couple of hubs that became very popular on Facebook on Friday.  There is still some residual effect today, but it's starting to wane.

1. Writer Fox profile image31

Thanks for the explanation.  Congratulations to the Hubbers who got some great traffic!

Lol. I bet you get in photos with celebrities too.

But what about this: <link snipped>

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"Great" traffic?  When just a couple of hubs are seeing 750,000 visits per day, "great" is far too weak a word. smile

Yes. Rather envious. If they have HP ads that should mean

750 times 5 or 6 dollars roughly

Which equals  around 4000 dollars!

That's visits, not impressions.  Do you understand the difference?

I know what my page visits translate into. I know that quantcast reports pageviews (among other things) but not impressions so what are you talking about?

2. Millionaire Tips profile image93
            Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's the equivalent of the lottery - the odds are low, but the payouts are huge.

3. IzzyM profile image86
            IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's social traffic and in my experience, the CPM is a lot lower than search engine traffic brings. Even so, it must be a tidy sum - I suppose that's why the earnings stats are delayed. Wonder who it is that got those marvellous traffic spikes?

I bet it was you and you are just being shy.

1. IzzyM profile image86

No, I've got a hub doing well on Facebook just now, but not that well!

2. Will Apse profile image87

We need to have a little chat about your Aunt Mollie sometime. There seems to be an impression that WF and Aunt Mollie are the same person.

Shall I open a new thread?

I think you should quit stalking my relatives and open a new hobby.

Tell me why you think page visits are impressions first.

Then I will open a new thread about honesty online. I would love to be convinced that you really have an Aunt Molly. I could trust you again then.

2. Will Apse profile image87

This may be true, I don't get much social traffic and I don't know how HP ads are set up in that respect.

I thought it was the same though. Pay per view mostly and some income from actual clicks.

1. wilderness profile image94
                wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

While it would be possible to pick ads based on the source of the visit, it doesn't seem particularly profitable to do so for the advertiser.  They cannot really tell just why a visit is occurring - whether out of interest in a topic or interest in a product (review maybe).

On the other hand, most FB links seem to be to hubs of an opinion type, or perhaps recipes or such.  Those will not pay nearly as well as others that give an advertiser an good opportunity to sell something.  In that manner, visitors from FB might be considered to pay less, although the reason is not that they came from FB.

3. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's amazing!  I see the HP US ranking rose from 74 last week to 65.

2. electronician profile image78
    electronicianposted 10 years ago

Wow, that's brilliant. You're right, the newly optimized mobiles design is probably something to do with it, plus all those seasonal hubs people have written to cash in on the annual festival of shopping that is Christmas.

3. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

If you switch it to global pageviews, it's 2,621,776 with 1,474,368 mobile web views for Dec. 13.  WTG HP!

4. Hamshi profile image67
    Hamshiposted 10 years ago

Beautiful stats!

5. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I think I may have found one of the hubs that went viral.
    http://brownie83.hubpages.com/hub/10-Th … ou-to-Know
    I've had a sudden spike of 30 hits to a hub that never saw traffic from day one, all from this hub where it is linked. With 256k Facebook likes, it is a definite possibility!

I think you're on to something.  That Hub had a large number of comments from non-Hubbers when the traffic spike was noticed. 

P.S. It's a great Hub, by the way.

2. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yup, look at the recent comments. They're just flowing in.
      EDIT: Writerfox already pointed this out smile

There should be a Hubbie award for the Hubber who got that traffic from Facebook.  Paul said there was more than one Hub that got high traffic from Facebook on Friday.  Maybe the same Hubber?

6. rebekahELLE profile image86

I hope for their sake they don't post their viral hubs in the forums.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Hub going viral on Facebook is not one for the copiers and thieves who want articles for search traffic.

7. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

That traffic is on a roll; it increased traffic to HP another 1% yesterday:
    https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com?country=GLOBAL

Obviously, the 'impressions' thing was just another Writer Fox misdirection and we will never get a clarification or an apology.

Sigh...

Anyway I will have to get into the honesty online thing another day. One of the cats has disappeared, apparently.

8. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I would think her stats would be rewarding enough! Looking at her activity, two days ago she got her 10,000 views award. Then 17 hours ago she hit 1M. Fantastic!
    Health hubs pay really well so even at a lower rate she must be coining it in, if she's signed up of course.
    WTG!

That's HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. rebekahELLE profile image86

That is insane.  She really hit a nerve with that one!  I wonder if she even knows!  A lot of people just write and never check their stats, etc.  I shared it on FB and it was immediately shared by one of my relatives who works in the medical profession.

I think it's possible that she doesn't know because she only has seven Hubs and no activity in three months.  I sent her an email a few hours ago just to let her know. I think she's about to get a happy surprise.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86

I imagine with traffic like that she has heard from someone at the top. I don't recall ever hearing about a single hub driving traffic like that in such a short time period.

3. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What a wonderful Christmas present for her! Amazing!

4. Writer Fox profile image31

I think she's still getting a ton of views.  Probably most of the 1/4 million view increase yesterday went to that Hub.  She's making a small fortune for a Hub
      https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com?country=GLOBAL!

9. tillsontitan profile image81
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

I think I'm in the lower half as well but glad to see some are spiking like that.  Good for you and Merry Christmas.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

How are you folks seeing these figures?  My stats and money have been stalled for quite some time.  However, prior to that happening, although my traffic has shown practically no increases, my CPMs have gone through the roof the past few weeks!  Too bad I can't get those things to coordinate!!!

1. tillsontitan profile image81
        tillsontitanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm just looking at figures on my accounts page.  Readership is up  and income is up just a smidgeon...however to me up is good no matter how small the increase is.

10. rebekahELLE profile image86

Here's the latest from the HP blog. As of Dec. 18, she had over two million views.  Amazing what one hub did for this lucky hubber! Congrats to Kelly, aka brownie83!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)