What happens if you opt put of Editor's Choice?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 10 years ago

I was really excited when some of my hubs were awarded Editor's Choice, but it seemed to make little difference to number of page views to those hubs. However, getting two HOTD has been great!

One of my HOTD was also an Editor's Choice and one wasn't. Both got huge spikes in views from HP but not a lot of extra views from Google. At the same time another of my hubs (not an Editor's Choice) has started to be really popular on Google and is my star performer. I'm now worried that this may be picked up by HP as a hub they want to "adopt" and convert it into an EC which would result in a new URL and thus loss of the Google ranking that it has built.

What do you think I should do ... opt out of EC or stay in EC?

1. Hikapo profile image77
      Hikapoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I suggest you opt out. Keep the best hubs for your sub domain.

2. alancaster149 profile image76
      alancaster149posted 10 years agoin reply to this

A few times I've been e-mailed to tell me certain hub pages seemed attractive enough for the editors to feature. The guidelines are a bit vague though, and although I 'tarted' them up a bit I wasn't contacted again about them. I write these pages and 'garnish' them with images with a view to attracting readers. Some do very well, others seem to 'collect dust' at the bottom of the pile.
      Ah well, 'que ser a ser a' (we know a song about that, don't we). Enjoy the Yuletide and have a Prosperous New Year, 2014.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

This is a very interesting question.

I opted out of EC because I wanted my subdomain to be seen as a whole by Google, not fragmented and certainly not the pick being moved elsewhere.

The difference between some HP views and some Google views is huge.  Google is the world - HP just a few friends.  So HOTD is nice but means little in view terms.

I wonder if anyone with a moderately successful page - 100 views a day plus? - or more - now has some concrete stats on a move to EC and the outcome.

Maybe HP have some stats to share.  Do EC move hubs always show a benefit?

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mark,

To answer your question, one of my hubs that is EC gets over 450 views a day. It had been around 300 a day before Panda killed it. But in the past few months, as an Editor's Choice, it grew again and is better now than before Panda.

That doesn't mean much for EC in general. About 1/3 of my hubs are EC and most didn't show any benefit. But I'm staying with it just because of the few that did better.

For those who claimed Google authorship, it is important to do it for the home domain too. Otherwise authorship is lost for EC hubs. I lost traffic at first on EC hubs until I noticed this.

2. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

One of my EC hubs was getting 20 views a day before it was selected.  After the EC move it ranges from 90-120 views a day.  The other EC hubs languish pretty much as they did before. 

However, many of my non-EC hubs on the same topic of the EC hub performing well have seen their traffic double.  So I has helped me out thus far.

3. electronician profile image80
    electronicianposted 10 years ago

I'm assuming they will put in an SEO friendly re-direct when they change the url, so Google should know that its the same page, meaning that if its built up a good rank then this should stay and the immediate difference to that hub will be minimal.

Other than that I don't know which is best as I'm fairly new and only have 4 EC hubs.

4. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93

If only I had a crystal ball that worked!

@Mark Ewie - I agree. Much as I appreciate getting Hubpages views, Google views are what I'm after long term.

@Hikapo - Trouble is EC is a very new scheme. so no-one really knows whether it will help views or not.

@electronician - I'm not very tech savvie, but I thought that even if the redirect worked properly, a new URL means that Google ranking has to be earned agin from scratch.

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I opted out because my hubs' traffic tanked after being selected as EC. As soon as I opted out my traffic started to rise again. I don't know what the cause of that was but quite a number of hubbers have experienced the same thing. But the choice is completely yours.

5. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93

@alancaster - wishing you a happy and healthy 2014 too!
    My EC hubs got their URL changes without any prior notice. At the time it didn't matter as they were too new to have gained any Google traction, but now that I'm getting established I don't want any unexpected changes.

@Cardisa - I'm beginning to think that opting out of EC is the best action, (but I'll wait for a few more opinions first.)

6. ologsinquito profile image82
    ologsinquitoposted 10 years ago

I opted out shortly after this started because my traffic had been building and I didn't want to rock the boat, if any were selected for EC.

7. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I opted out initially, then opted in out of curiosity after the waiting period. I received some ECs, haven't seen much difference. Views on a couple slowed down, one was zero for weeks. I don't think it makes much difference to what was happening with hubs views in the first place. I will probably opt out again at end of this period and see what happens in the new year.
    Edit: end of period is here, I'm out

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Update: All of my ECs are gone now sad I didn't realize that once you get ECs, then opt out, you lose them. I thought it meant you don't want anymore hubs to be eligible from that point on but keep what you had. Hmm. Bummer. Very passive-aggressive, HP. neutral Oh well. Will decide again in 2 months. Boy, the hoops we jump through for a little recognition. big_smile

1. Writer Fox profile image33
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would strongly suggest that you not sign up again because the Hubs which were EC have already had their URLs changed twice.  It would be pushing your luck with search engines to change them again.

Thanks, Writer Fox.

2. janshares profile image93

Big mistake. Views on #1 hub plummeted. (Sigh) You live and you learn.

How long will it take for subdomain url to kick back in? It's as if the hub has died. Lifeless.

1. Susana S profile image93
              Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Whether you are turning EC on or off, you need to give it at least 4 - 6 months to assess the effect. It's not an instant thing.

Thanks, Susana.

2. Solaras profile image94
            Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry!

sad

8. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I've only had one Hub get an Editor's Choice nod, and traffic-wise it hasn't performed any better -- or any worse -- than it would've without the EC tag.

9. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I've got a few EC hubs across my subs, and the jury is still out as to whether or not they help.
    On this sub, my EC hubs don't seem to get any more traffic than they did before, the one that does get a little more was on the way up already.

But I will say this, they kill new hubs that have caught search engine traction.

I have only published one hub this year on this sub. It caught the search engine boost and was getting hits from all of them for a few days. Then overnight it dried up.

You guessed it, it was made EC and it killed the 'fresh' traffic.

Now it has to sit and wait to see if it can climb again.

10. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

Just refreshed stats page, and said hub is climbing again after being down for a week or so.

EC hubs shouldn't do worse than hubs on your sub, and in the main should do better. The HP platform is far more powerful than subs.

It's an experiment, more likely to work when Google hates your subdomain, as it did mine for the longest time.

But traffic has been climbing recently, that's why I published a new hub.

Maybe some users would like the ability to opt individual hubs out? Some types of hubs maybe do better on single subdomains than others.

11. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 10 years ago

Several of my low performing hubs were chosen for EC. Nothing that was doing well by my estimation was chosen.

One EC hub has taken off from 12-20 views a day to 120 a day, and that seems to have helped other non EC hubs of mine. 

The other EC hubs remain low performing, but that was the case before - they may get an extra 5-10 views a week a piece.

I think overall it has helped my account.  My traffic has doubled over the last 1.5 months.

12. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93

@janshares - Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. I suppose that means that I should stay with the EC scheme.

Well, each account is different so I can't really say. As far as my account, I will keep you posted.

13. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93

So far none of my EC hubs have picked up Google traffic since getting an award. On the other hand, some of my other hubs have hit the ground running and are gaining traction within my subdomain URL.

Thanks for everyones's advice and input. I've decided to opt out of EC and see what happens.

14. stuff4kids profile image59
    stuff4kidsposted 10 years ago

Yeah, I'm no guru at all but my instinct was to opt out immediately.

I think that the folks running HP are trying whatever they can think of to scrape back from 30 or so million views a month to 59+ or whatever it was before.

This may be one of those things but I suspect it's just another 'accolade' - a pretty but meaningless bauble to hang on your profile tree, to use a festive metaphor.

Basically, if it is content that counts, then a good hub should do well in the long run. If content no longer counts (Bubblews?) then we all have a nice little hobby and the story ends there.

I'm sure that no-one makes anything but pocket change here, really. Am I wrong?

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to cast my vote for "wrong."

1. stuff4kids profile image59
        stuff4kidsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Okay, relache, hi.

So, can you tell me why you cast your vote that way? That would be both useful and intetesting to me as I am very new here.

2. Susana S profile image93

Another vote for "wrong"!

3. stuff4kids profile image59

Never mind justifying your vote to me, relache. I guess you're right. I've checked out your profile and after seeing you've been seven years on here, I have to bow to your greater knowledge and experience. Have a lovely day and all the best with it. smile

I think you hit the nail on the head with most of what you said, stuff4kids. But there are many hubbers who make good money from what I hear. I'm far from being one of them but my earnings have steadily increased so I'm hopeful.

Yeah, I hear rumors, too.

2. stuff4kids profile image59

Well, maybe I'm just a newbie pronouncing on things I don't understand. I hope you are right - and the very best of luck! smile

Thanks, smile

3. Susana S profile image93

It's really got nothing to do with accolades, but it is about regaining traffic.

Back in March Google autonomously started indexing some older hubs at their old urls (the ones used before subdomains were introduced) - overnight many of these hubs started performing really well in search - much better than they had for a long while. The EC hub status just replicates this effect, rather than leaving it to the whim of Google.

I dare say you are right. I shouldn't, perhaps, have gotten involved in this discussion - as I should openly admit that I probably don't understand it!

I'm sure it's all for the best. smile

A lot of the confusion, whether you're a vet or a newbie, comes from the fact that EC was not explained in detail when it first rolled out. A lot of hubbers were unsure about it, especially those who are tech savvy and understand the world of online writing. The pros and cons were never presented. The opt out option was given but without a clear understanding as to why. Why would you want the option to opt out of something that is meant to help you? Anyway, stuff4kids, as others have stated (and in several other threads), EC was not clear to most, so it's not just you being a newbie.

Aw, that's sweet of you to let me off the hook. Thank you!

big_smile

15. UnnamedHarald profile image92
    UnnamedHaraldposted 10 years ago

I don't have any statistics, but I've noticed two things since my hubs made editors choice:
    1) Increased traffic
    2) Larger CPMs

It didn't happen overnight and was almost imperceptible at first, but it has climbed and has remained at those higher figures for over a month now. So, since traffic * cpm = earning, an increase in one is cool and an increase in both is... cooler. The CPM sometimes gets overlooked, but I was seeing $3-$4 cpms before and now I see $6-$8 cpms since about 75 of my hubs are now part of the hubpages domain.
    If the cpm doubles, that's the equivalent of doubling views.

Naturally, I still get views on non-editors choices, so they are still in the mix since the reported CPM is an amalgamation. But some of my favorite hubs are non-editors choices smile

16. DrMark1961 profile image94
    DrMark1961posted 10 years ago

I think Unnamed Harald is correct in his assesment of the benefits of EC hubs. My traffic has gone up on most of my EC hubs, and my CPM has gone up considerably.
    Would the traffic in those EC hubs have gone up even without the selection? There is no way to tell. Would they have the high CPM without selection? Again, who can tell. I can only compare them to the other hubs that were not chosen, and tell you that based on my current earnings I would not want to opt out.

17. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93

@janshares - I opted out of EC 22 hours ago and Google has just recrawled the one EC hub that had been getting good (hubpages but not google) views. So, in answer to your question about crawls for the new URL, it has been about 20 hours for me. None of my other former EC hubs have yet been recrawled but they were not getting any traffic anyway. The views on that one hub have remained stable so I think I've made the right decision.

@UnnamedHarrald and DrMark - The trouble with any kind of comparison is that it's an unknown about what would have happened if someone does or does not, opt in or out of EC. I'm hoping I've made the right decision to opt out, but I'll tell you in 12 months time!

P.S. At the same time as opting out of EC, I claimed Google authorship, so that may be having some effect too.

Beth, I'm glad it seems to be working out for you so far. Thanks for the update. I have not done Google authorship, something that's been on my to-do list for a few months. Those top ex-EC hubs of mine are still moving slower than usual but are getting some traffic. Those ex-ECs that never benefited from being EC anyway are still slow, getting trickles of traffic. I'm patient and optimistic, so not too worried. I'll just write more hubs and make up for this debacle. smile

18. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93

@janshares - don't be too downhearted about your slow moving hubs. Some of that will be due to the seasonal downturn that always happens end Dec thru Jan. (Not that I was on HP this time last year, but it happened on other writing sites I was on). Also the bad storms that are hitting parts of US this week could be affecting internet browsing patterns.

Thanks, Beth for the encouragement. I'm good, used to the ups and downs, too. This is my first real experience with online writing and seasonal fluctuations since joining HP last summer. I was too green last year to appreciate it but have since seen many roller coasters due to HP changes and Google. I just roll with it. big_smile

Hi Beth Eaglescliffe. UPDATE: Top two performing hubs appear to be back to "normal," receiving amount of views common for a weekend. Crisis averted smile.

1. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93
        Beth Eaglescliffeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's good to hear.  wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)