2014: The UN Year of Solidarity with the Palestinian People

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (84 posts)
  1. Shinkicker profile image53
    Shinkickerposted 10 years ago

In November the United Nations General Assembly voted by a landslide majority to proclaim 2014 as a 'International Year of Solidarity with the Palestinian People'.

Will this be a major 'tipping point' in helping to end Israel's illegal occupation of the Occupied Palestinian Territories or is it just symbolic? What do you think?

1. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is written: "I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you," says God in the bible.  God is for Israel, the people there are His chosen people, and all others will falter--maybe not now, but someday.  The Palestinian people and their false god Allah (really Satan), need to get out!

Shinkickerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Go to Religious section, do not pass go!! This is politics, no Voodoo here thank you.

2. maxoxam41 profile image63
        maxoxam41posted 10 years agoin reply to this

What you forget is first it is a VERY small country and secondly it is full of nuclear heads. How long do you think it will take to pulverize the whole country? Your government was not smart enough, was it? It jeopardizes all the Zionists.

3. rhamson profile image71
        rhamsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Just WOW! roll

2. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A toothless self serving organisations proclamation will do nothing to ease the suffering of the people of both sides who just want to live their lives.

I wouldn't say that solidarity does nothing but the UN is made toothless by the US veto. Otherwise International law would prevail.

1. Silverspeeder profile image61

The US is not the only one to use its veto.

To absolve Israeli crimes the USA has used the veto an incredibile amount of times in defiance of the rest of the world.

As I said its not only the US. I am not aware of how many times they have used it and what their reason for using it was.
              What would you have the UN do? Take away all veto's? Or just the US ones!

I would have the USA respect the law and human rights and stop the Israelis from continuing their illegal acts.

Blaming one side or the other is part of the problem and whilst the political tennis continues the game will never be over.

International law is on one side, The Palestinians. The law doesn't blame , it judges the evidence. The state of Israel is guilty of a multitude of breaches of the law and human rights.

2. jandee profile image80
                  jandeeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Shinkicker ,They will never do that.They are secretly loving it.

Well! Let's just say never say never :-) Things can change eventually if people do the right thing

2. Zelkiiro profile image88
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

Israel never does anything illegal, you anti-American anti-Christian monster! ISRAEL WOULD NEVER COMMIT A CRIME BECAUSE ISRAEL IS GOD'S #2 COUNTRY BEHIND 'MURICA!!

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll145/Zelkiiro/527968_374404039298298_1194426410_n.jpg

SEE TEAM ISRAEL HAS NO RESTRICTIONS BECAUSE GOD HAS NO RESTRICTIONS

I don't know if you are being ironic or are genuinely gloating about Israel's high murder rate of Palestinians.

1. jandee profile image80

Ironic,I would say.

You forgot to mention the World civilians who were murdered I repeat MURDERED on the flatila taking medical aid to palestine.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Murdered is a legal term, not something you can choose to apply wherever you please.  Nor does repeating the term make it true - it usually indicates that the speaker is spinning like a top.

Were they murdered under the laws of the flotilla blocking the seas?  Or just some other country that wants to spin it into something it isn't?

Boat stormed in international waters, people shot dead, some at point blank range, maybe not murder but perhaps mass murder. Along with the thousands of dead Palestinians before and since.

Are you using the definition of murder from the country producing the flotilla or your own definition?

2. Silverspeeder profile image61

Sounds a bit like Munich 1972.

The Palestinian factions have been murdering each other for years too.

Yes the Israeli power mongers are bad boys but the Palestinian ones aren't no saints either.

Doesn't change the rights of the Palestinians one iota. It's their land.

Fascists pigs carrying guns and boarding a boat then killing old people is in most NORMAL peoples mind Murder

Gotcha.  Calling them childish names makes it murder.  Well thought out response.

The IDF and Israeli state forces have a history of mass murder, torture, child imprisonment and casual brutality. It's beyond argument now. Even their own soldiers have publicly admitted their crimes.

Link, please, to a soldier confessing guilt to a mass murder under Israeli law?

I'm sure it IS beyond argument - as long as you get to define the terms and choose which data to look at.

I didn't say they had admitted mass murder, but they have admitted crimes. International Law which overrides Israeli law must be respected. We must all abide by the Geneva Convention for example, we must all respect UN Resolutions because they represent all of us.

http://www.breakingthesilence.org.il/

I see.  You will forgive me for assuming a reference to mass murder followed by a statement that soldiers had admitted to crimes meant they had admitted to mass murders.  Although I do think that was the intent of the statement, and a fine attempt at spin, I can fully understand why you cannot back it up.

As far as soldiers (in general) admitting crimes - few have led an exemplary life.  Speeding, perhaps, or drunk in public.  The US has seen many of their soldiers committing deplorable acts in time of war; there is no reason to think any other army is free from such actions.  Rare, but they DO exist - soldiers are not angels and have faults like the rest of us.

Absolutely, all nations put international law over and above their own.  Which planet did you say you are from? 

Because there are actually very few UN resolutions that represent me or any other Americans at all and typical adherence to either UN resolutions or International Law happens only when convenient to the nation or peoples involved.  Even the Geneva Convention is ignored at will - remember the Kurds of Iraq?  And more recently, Syria?

3. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Palestinians are so far down the pecking order they will never see any justice, I am afraid.

It seems so Will but John Pilger said 'Palestine is Still the Issue'. He was absolutely right.
      The treatment of the Palestinians has been and still is the major issue in the Middle-East. It causes outrage in the Arab world and our govts in the West support the criminlnality of Israel, so we become the target of anger and hatred. It's the duty of ordinary people across the world to make the politicians listen. People power will change that pecking order.

4. jandee profile image80
    jandeeposted 10 years ago

That land was not ours to give! End

Wilderness you say "The Israelis were given that land and now you demand they give it back."

The Israelis were not given the West Bank, East Jerusalem or the Golan. They stole them by conquest. This is the politics of the Medieval Age, modern democratic societies do not take land by force and rule by oppression.

That's right, they took it off the Jordanians and I do believe the "Palestinians" were Jordanian citizens at the time. How the hell did the Jordanians get it I wonder? I notice the Palestinians weren't moaning too much then.

This war the "Palestinians" have with Israel is more about removing the Jews from the region than it is about land, they couldn't live with the Jews because Allah has forbid it, just ask the Hamas masters..

The UN is a cesspit of self interest little governments looking for more power.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
          Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Let's not forget the UN was set up to bring about a new world order, one world government, led by the antichrist who wants to give everybody an RFID tag and cut people's heads off,,,,,,,argh LOL.

2. Shinkicker profile image53

Palestinians have no war with Israel. They are resisting an illegal occupation and fighting for their rights which are enshrined in law but not enforced.  The Arabs lived with the Jewish population before the Zionist invasion of their land in the 1st half of the 20th century. And currently over 1.5 million Arabs live peacefully in Israel despite the discrimination they suffer.

Excellent article by Prof Richard Falk of Princeton University.

http://mwcnews.net/focus/analysis/34929 … inian.html

Short excerpt...............
      "We can hope at the dawn of 2014 that the UN will be vigorous in giving the International Year of Solidarity with the Palestinian People a political meaning that goes beyond words of empathy and support. There is an opportunity to do more. The UN resolution calls for working with civil society. Recent moves in America to join boycotts of Israeli academic institutions and in Europe to hold corporations responsible under international law for dealing commercially with Israeli settlements are major successes of civil society activism, being led by the BDS Campaign that has the important legitimating virtue of Palestinian leadership and backing. The UN can help build a momentum in the global solidarity movement that encourages nonviolent militant forms of coercive action that alone will give ‘solidarity’ a good name.

Palestinians are starting to win the Legitimacy War that is being waged against unlawful Israeli policies and on behalf of the attainment of Palestinian rights. The turning point in world public opinion can probably be traced back to the way Israel waged the Lebanon War of 1982, especially the avowed reliance on disproportionate force directed at residential neighborhoods, especially in south Beirut, a tactic that became known as the Dahiya Doctrine. The tipping point in shifting the Israeli collective identity from that of victims and heroic underdogs to those lawless perpetrators of oppressive warfare against a totally vulnerable people came in Operation Cast Lead, the sustained assault with high technology weaponry on the people of Gaza for three weeks at the end of 2008. After these developments, the Palestinians were understood more widely to be a victimized people, engaged in a just struggle to gain their rights under international law, and needing and deserving an international movement of support to offset the Israeli hard power and geopolitical dominance. " (Prof Falk)

5. jandee profile image80
    jandeeposted 10 years ago

The Carpenter----on the other side-
    "I  can't go into Israel " he said,when asked why ,he replied "what if my house is no longer there?"   He produced his wallet and took from it his key.  "This is the key to my home ",he said, "I locked the door when I left in 1948."

An excerpt from John Pilgers book- Heroes
    John Pilger is the antidote to easy ,comfortable thinking,to smugness,to ignorance. Daily Telegraph

As I said sectarianism instigated by the UN. The Arab carpenter didn't want to live with is Jewish neighbours.

There are no doubt lots of personal stories from the people, Pilger was a journalist, a very good one but he wrote what he saw and that's it.

My friend Ruth (Jew) lived in Isreal from birth until 10yrs ago when some of her family were killed by Palestinian terrorists, she still hasn't come to terms with it, she was married to a Palestinian man, a big no no as you can imagine. I asked her if she will ever return and she answered, "return to what?" "There will never be peace in Israel because the governments don't want it and the people have come to hate each other because of religion and politics."
      Many stories............No solution.

The carpenter had no choice,he was ejected. Many times he asked the israeli authorities for permission to return-----He visited his old house and the new 'owner' said to him "There is no reason we cannot live together,I am sorry I don't know what else to do?"  He had aquired the house through the custodian of properties,the Israeli department which expropriates Arab homes and Businesses.  "There is no reason"replied the carpenter!

John Pilger -Heroes

South Africa managed to change without massive bloodshed or civil war. It's not a perfect country and has many tensions and problems but its transformation from apartheid and fascism to democracy has been remarkable. Its people co-exist.

Israel can do the same.

I am in agreement Shinkicker.
            Maybe part of the solution would be for the UN to declare it one country one people.

Good for you.

2. wilderness profile image96

Will they declare it one religion as well?  To be Muslim is to believe the Jewish faith?  Will they declare that all the people love their neighbor?

The UN can make any declarations they wish to, but that isn't going to change the hate inside those people.

1. Will Apse profile image87
                Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are you suggesting that it is impossible for different faiths to co-exist?

I'm not only suggesting but claiming with zero doubt that a UN resolution to that effect will NOT result in two faiths becoming one any more than such a resolution will result in peaceful coexistence. 

Certainly people can co-exist, but a group of Christians telling a group of Muslims to happily live with a group of Jews just isn't going to cut it.  Or the Muslims among the UN telling the Jews to play nice with the Muslims of Palestine.

Or are you suggesting that such a declaration from the UN WILL work?

1. Will Apse profile image87

Religion is a red herring. Muslims and Jews would have no problem getting along in a country where both groups had decent life opportunities.

I live in a city that is a quarter Muslim, quarter Chinese Traditional religion and half Buddhist. Since none of these groups is out to freeze any other group out of their land, or an education or a job there are no serious issues between them. Neighborliness reigns.

You need to look at the real issues if you want a just solution in Israel. Religion is just one of many group identifiers.

Will the people change the hate inside you ? That is the question!

As there is nothing there to change, the bigger question is whether they will change the hate inside them.  And the most probably answer is "No".

2. Will Apse profile image87

Israelis are not cut out for power sharing.

A poll in Haaretz, one of Israel's most prestigious newspapers last year, found that around 40 per cent want to see the West Bank annexed and most felt Israel should practice some kind of apartheid.

'Two-thirds (of Israelis) say Palestinians should not be allowed to vote if West Bank was annexed, while three in four favour segregated roads'

'58% believe Israel already practices apartheid against Palestinians, the poll found.'

Brief report in the Guardian:
            http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/o … d-policies

You will need to register to get the original story:
            http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/ap … m-1.471650

"Israelis are not cut out for power sharing."

Neither where the whites in South Africa!

That's true Silverspeeder so I remain optimistic.

But Will's quoted figures just prove the siege mentality and radicalism of many of the Israeli people. Many of the illegal squatters in the West Bank are even more extreme. The country seems to be heading slowly towards Fascism rather than true Democracy.

The parallels with Apartheid South Africa are becoming even more compelling. Israelis are being openly racist to black minorities too.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPxv4Aff3IA

1. Zelkiiro profile image88
                Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Clearly it's because they're inferior to *:・゚✧God's Chosen People✧*:・゚.

Isn't that what the Muslims say about the Jews too?

I seem to remember watching a BBC documentary where a "Palestinian" man said all Jews should be annihilated because  they were an abomination.

Racism comes from all sides, segregating people will never stop racism.

I noticed the comments on the Youtube post were disabled, I wonder why that was?

Absoulutely true Silverspeeder I totally agree with you. But where do you see this kind of racist Israeli footage on national TV? 

Many members of the public are informed about extremism among Arabs but not this racist and ultra-nationalist aggression in Israel.

The Youtube comments would have been disabled because Zionist trolls would have posted too much abuse and state-employed Hasbara writers would have written lies and propaganda.

6. maxoxam41 profile image63
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

It is symbolic. Unless the UN changed its majority. Ruled by the US indeed. At the beginning of the week Israel attacked Lebanon, why did the UN say anything? Israel launched a raid over Palestine and people died, why didn't it take radical measures? No, they blah-blah and that's it.

Yes, the US veto neuters any UN action on helping the Palestinians.

But don't forget that UNRWA does a massive amount of work to sustain their communities, so it's not all talk. Of course the Palestinians wouldn't need international aid if they were free to run their own economy.

It may be symbolic but I think it is a great message to send to the world.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)