Huge Traffic Spike for HP, not Squids, that I see as well. Others?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (88 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

There has been a huge traffic spike over the last two days that has appeared in my traffic as well. It is not shown by Squidoo. This time it may be a general increase rather than being due to one or two hubs going viral. Any one else seeing it in their traffic? Image shows Quantcast for page views today.

http://www.wotheheck.com/spike45.jpg

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Can we use Quantcast for our sub-domains?

janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

No,  as far as I'm aware. But you can use Webmaster Analytics which does the same thing and includes a lot of detailed options. It is very powerful. We cannot access HP analytics, so for overall stats Quantcast is the go.

2. aa lite profile image85
    aa liteposted 10 years ago

My traffic has been doing nicely over the past 2-3 days.  I don't want to talk about it in case it's tempting fate.

Hopefully Google's NY resolution is to stop being so nasty to HP.  I've pretty much given up on a squid recovery.  Although you never know.

3. electronician profile image79
    electronicianposted 10 years ago

Yes! I've seen a spike in traffic for the last couple of days. I hope it lasts.

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

Wow! That's another massive spike! Someone else got a viral hub?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Viral hub?  Pick me! Pick me!   Oops - not me.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't know about viral but I've got one that's showing about 100 times normal traffic (normal being 1 or 2 per day), all from HP or various subdomains here.  Interesting.

my cheesecake recipe went ballistic

1. wilderness profile image95

That's what mine is, too!  With a huge traffic spike coming from Kaiyan717 (you and I both have recipes in the "discover more hubs" section of her cheesecake recipe), plus additional from both HP and a half-dozen other subdomains. 

Is the whole world making cheesecake today?  No-bake cheesecake, to be exact?

1. IzzyM profile image86
            IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are on to something! My no bake cheesecake hub got a few hits today too. Not many, mind you, but a lot more than normal.
            Had a look at Kaiyan717's hub, but not seeing the social media likes? Anyone else? My hub is not linked there, so it must be linked to someone else's who is.

I don't show a link to you, Izzy, but you've got one to me.  And I have one visit from you - presumably through that link.

I did see on Analytics that the average time on that hub yesterday and today was just 2 seconds.  Makes me wonder if this is some kind of robot, travelling the links for some (nefarious?) purpose.

2. aa lite profile image85
              aa liteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm not actually certain whether the overall growth in traffic is due to social media.  My traffic has been up by about 30% since the the 2nd of Jan.  My increase is spread out over a number of hubs, and there is no decrease in the time on hub (I think, I've only looked at the ridiculously low values that GA reports on the main dashboard without drilling down).

I don't have a cheesecake recipe (damn!).  Perhaps it's a combination of improving overall traffic and viral cheesecake obsession?

It seems that not all people are seeing this increase in traffic, maybe it takes time to spread to all people.  I'd noticed previously that I lagged behind other people's reports of traffic rises and drops, they would "reach me" about a week after other people reported them.

I've seen a general rise this year as well, but nothing like 30%!  Or maybe 30% since the end of December, but back to just a little above early December levels.

And part of that is this one hub.  An extra 200 visits is significant to my paltry numbers.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
            Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I saw a cheesecake one on Facebook. Did one of these go viral there and then they clicked on the other choices too?

It was this one kaiyan717.hubpages.com/hub/Best-4-ingredient-cheesecake It is being shared all over Facebook.

2. PsychicLife profile image59
          PsychicLifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's funny! I love cheese cake!

5. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

I'm thinking a hub about nurses who like cheesecake could make some money here.

1. IzzyM profile image86

I was a nurse the first time I tasted cheesecake. How weird is that? It was a ward party at work and someone brought it in.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It must be fate.  Write it and rake the money in.

Well, that or baby sitters.  Cheesecake making baby sitters could go big, I think.

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

My traffic is up a little, and has been since late November. Actually it is double what it used to be, but still just a fraction of what I was before I got Panda'd.

Even assuming everyone overall on HP is seeing a little more traffic, this latest spike doesn't account for it.

Someone has a viral hub!

Come on, own up!

7. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

i'm seeing it now. Wilderness, that hub you mentioned has a quarter million pins and Facebook likes.
    Last comment says the recipe doesn't work.

So people are probably coming in from Pinterest, seeing the last comment and looking for something else. 

Makes sense!

Now I've got another one, Izzy - a second pie recipe is growing. 

Nothing like the cheesecake, but double arrows!  And a pie crust recipe has a red arrow as well.  Let the onslaught continue!

1. CMHypno profile image82
        CMHypnoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I thought everyone went on a diet in January lol!  Looks like we should all be writing about baked goods

I did - Rotten Egg Pie - the only dessert I can make, but a good one!

1. healthmunsta profile image74
            healthmunstaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Rofl!

You laugh, but it is a staple at every Wilderness family get together.  The most sought after dessert at every meal.  Children cry when it's gone, parents come looking with fire in their eyes.  And everyone has a sugar high.

Google it - the Wilderness Rotten Egg Pie is world renowned.  Or least renowned in the US.  Or maybe just in the Wilderness clan, I'm not real sure.  But google it, and then go make one! big_smile

1. healthmunsta profile image74
                healthmunstaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, wilderness! I just read through your rotten egg pie, that delicious looking banana split pie! I honestly thought you were cracking a joke at first, lol!

lol  Nope, no joke.  there really is such a thing, and I really do make them for all family get-togethers!

A funny for you - a couple of years ago my son wanted to make that pie for HIS family but I was out of town and he didn't have a recipe.  So he googled it.

Now, you and I might know better; you would never find such a strange sounding thing on google as rotten egg pie.  But, of course it is there; I wrote it so that it would show that way just for my extended family and it's always #1 as it has zero competition for that keyword.  Aunts, cousins, etc. have all heard of that pie and occasionally make it themselves.

So my son found it and began reading it, thinking more and more as he went that it sure sounded familiar!  It wasn't until later he figured out it was MY hub he was reading!  He got quite a ribbing for that one.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Wow - good grief.  250k pins for an image off Bing. I have no idea what people like.

9. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

"Cheesecake Nurses" would be a good name for a band...

...or a dirty movie.

10. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

Well that hub is now showing loads of new comments, so yeah it's gone viral but I still can't see the Social Media likes on my laptop.
    They show on the ipad, but not the laptop??

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

These viral hubs are crazy!  Just a simple recipe and it looks like she may not know.  FB likes - 321k,
      Pins- 254K

Maybe with the freezing cold temps and snowed in areas, people are cooking/making comfort food! 

I still have the doors open tonight, but it's supposed to be very cold here tomorrow night. Then back in the 70's later in the week.

You, lady, are disgusting.  With the door closed my furnace will not keep the house over 65 degrees at night lately.  Open - well, lets just say that I prefer to greet the morning alive, not a corpsicle.

Can we have your 70 degrees?  Just for a day, maybe? cool

I'd sure like to know what that hub is getting.  Just the slop over onto mine has nearly doubled it's all time traffic in the past 24 hours, and it's over a year old!

1. IzzyM profile image86

Well, we know it has had at least half a million 'likes', so double that viewing figure, we can expect to see the million accolade appearing soon.
        It's not a great hub, which is why those linked to it will be seeing a sharp rise.
        Mine is linked to one person who is linked on it, and mine is showing double red arrows. Wish I had a direct link to it, but I don't, so there you go.

I had a direct link on the last viral hub but didn't see the figures rise that sharply. Then again, that was a good hub with enough info to keep viewers on the page.

Ah, the fickleness of fate.  So here is a mediocre hub going viral and because it is only mediocre I pick up thousands of views along the way with a competing hub. 

The wonderful world of the internet at work!

11. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Yes, my traffic is up, recipes in particular. Don't want to jinx it, though. Bye!

12. aa lite profile image85

Well traffic is picking up on quant cast real time (I'm guessing the US is waking up).  Not as high as I was seeing yesterday (but maybe I was looking later in the day) , but around 8k uniques currently, so it looks like the virality is still going on.

You know I have some carefully explained sourdough bread recipes (although I think they're on the squid not here), that I've been using for years, that are super easy and produce the most amazing bread.  Why don't they go viral?

13. janderson99 profile image53

A lot of my extra traffic now is Pinterest derived.

14. Azure11 profile image83
    Azure11posted 10 years ago

I have a viral hub - yippee! It's not about cheesecake but it is food related. I just noticed that it looks like it's had over 1k views a day for the last 3-4 days. Hope it lasts!

15. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 10 years ago

My hub on power tumbling/trampolining is enjoying a big spike, although it is small in comparison to the cheesecake. I have no idea why 2500 people would descend upon that article all of the sudden. ???

16. janderson99 profile image53

I suspect there is some weird flow on effect. Pinterest virals can do that, where traffic flows to groups that are not necessarily related.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I guess so... this article usually gets 2-5 visits a day. Tumbling and trampoline is not a hugely popular sport, and to my knowledge it is not newsworthy at the moment. Maybe it's some sort of glitch or a bot.

17. Azure11 profile image83

OK I found out that my viral hub is getting it's views from another hubber who has an even bigger viral hub that has been shared on fb over 300k times...

18. kenyanbloga profile image60
    kenyanblogaposted 10 years ago

Wow...300k views! I am new, and I did not expect anyone to get that much traffic. Oh well, better get to work. I need to hit 100 hubs.

19. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years ago

Over the last month there has now been a few really big social hits.  It's either coincidence or something changed at Facebook.

Nurses, Diet Coke and Cheesecake.  Totally predictable;)

What is pleasing is the flow through effect via the links. Pinterest flow through has also been significant. The power of Pinterest to generate traffic continues to grow and astound. The latest one (cheescakes) took 4 days to reach its peak, whereas the the earlier one (nurses) peaked in a day. Not sure why the difference, perhaps there are more links to cheesecakes, or more Pinterest involvement, or it is related to the keyword, or to landing page (founder) quality. All Good!

2. MM Del Rosario profile image86
      MM Del Rosarioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have also a sudden increase on my hub No bake cheesecake,
      today's view -1,353 [Not complaining!]

You certainly beat me - I only got up to around 500 (24 hour) and it's beginning to drop back off now.

I had one cheesecake that peaked at 3000, another at 1000,  a hair color one got boosted to 1000 as well! All cakes recipes got a boost. My overall traffic doubled. Dropping off now

3. wilderness profile image95

What, the bulging brains at HP can't see the obvious link between those three? lol

20. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

It is interesting to look at the different impacts on traffic.  The nurse Hub was almost all mobile traffic, while the other two were mostly mobile, but had more desktop traffic.

If the referrers from FB are indicative of their overall traffic, then they are likely in the 80% mobile traffic range now.

21. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I didn't know about the diet coke one! Whose hub was that?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can read more about it here in the latest HP Blog post, Izzy: http://blog.hubpages.com/2014/01/heres- … on-jersey/

smile

1. IzzyM profile image86

Interesting hub!
        Pity it has unrelated links to his other hubs. Obviously not something Google is worried about even though many of us were moderated for having them.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
          Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Social traffic is independent of Google.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Yes, I know that.
            The blog post says that this hub has had several thousand search views as well. It was those I am referring to.

Hey Izzy, you've got one repin from my board so far - let's just call it a slow burner, the other 249,000 aren't back from Christmas yet! It will go viral smile

I suppose if I want a viral hub I'm going to have to stop writing about coffins and ancient dead bodies - these topics don't seem to whip folks into a social media sharing frenzy somehow.

But congrats to all the hubbers who are waking up to soaring traffic due to a hub that's gone viral - way to go!  And it shows the rest of us that it can happen.

PS: Haven't noticed the coke in McDonalds in the UK tasting any better than anywhere else?.

22. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 10 years ago

My power tumbling hub is now up to 3200 views. I don't get it, but believe me, I am not complaining!

Gosh, I haven't checked on that thing in ages. I hope all the videos still work and there aren't a bunch of typos, lol.

A nurse with a diet coke in one hand, a slice of cheesecake in the other doing power tumbling - now that would be something.  Sorry I have already written a hub about that just now!

Nurse breaks power tumbling record, while holding cheesecake and a diet coke

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol

23. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

LOL, but on the serious side, there is no rhyme nor reason as to why some hubs go viral on social networking sites.
    Let's just be glad they do!
    I am very happy for those whose hubs have gone viral, as that is the best-ever tonic for struggling writers. I am excited too because we have seen a resurgence of hubs going viral in a relatively short space of time.
    I also see HP climbing the US rank sharply, probably partly due to these self-same viral hubs.
    We broke the top 50 once before.
    Let's hope it happens again.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I saw all 3 of these on Facebook. I don't usually read the stuff shared though. The cheesecake one interested me because it says you can make it in 5 minutes. Maybe quick and easy has appeal in recipes.

I read the coke one because I've noticed myself that it tastes better at McDonalds and I wondered why. The nurse one was shared by one of my friends that is a nurse. Maybe it was read by nurses.

I wish we could figure them all out and we'd know more what to write about.

24. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 10 years ago

Hey Izzy, just pinned your cheesecake image, so sit back and enjoy 1/4 million visits to your hub by lunchtime lol! smile

25. aa lite profile image85

One thing I'm hoping is that the viral hubs improve Google's opinion of HP. 

Lots of people are now claiming that the Goo takes "social signals" seriously.  So if your stuff is pinned, FB liked, a lot than Google treats is as if it had a lot of backlinks.

Don't know if it is true, and don't know if a few hubs going viral on a site the size of HP will work,even if it is, but one can always hope.

26. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

Last time I checked, HP were 58 in the US charts. Before all this viral hub stuff it was nearer 98, so looks like it works!
    CMHypno, thanks! Woke up to 3 million hits overnight (j/j)!

1. janshares profile image92
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

WOW!! Good for you, IzzyM.

27. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Am I too late?

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8633446_f248.jpg

Try

Nurse breaks power tumbling record, while holding cheesecake and a diet coke

Ah.  Too complicated for my limited time tonight but thanks for the tip.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85

Your figures are so personable.  smile

I guess we're also seeing the possible benefits of the Discover More Hubs section with these viral hubs.
      Looks like it's almost a matter of luck.

Well, they were certainly good to Izzy and I, and someone else has started a thread where they did even better.  So yes, I'd have to say that those links are worth something after all.

28. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

There is an art to getting social traffic.  See Zimmerman's traffic (it's crazy and almost all of it comes from facebook) http://gawker.com/stats/graph/uniques/daily He covered is strategy here.  http://gawker.com/5912376/this-is-how-y … ical-guide

There are also other examples of folks that are good at tapping into social traffic streams http://www.thewire.com/technology/2013/ … ova/71529/

For the Hubs that went viral lately, they seem hard to predict to me, but there are people that appear to be skilled at social like there are some really good at driving search traffic.

1. IzzyM profile image86

That last link you posted was particularly interesting. I've read a few ViralNova articles that have floated around on Facebook because they looked really interesting, certainly enough to click on the links and get re-directed to Chrome to view the page. Before that, I'd never heard of the site.

29. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

I think social traffic has Mark Ewbie written all over it.

Here is another good deck on how upworthy goes viral. http://www.upworthy.com/how-to-make-tha … ng?c=slide

Cheers Paul!  Still tweaking and hoping...

2. rebekahELLE profile image85

I agree about Mark.  Especially FB.  People often browse FB for a break, to lighten up.

I follow Upworthy on FB because they have such great titles/posts.  I can see why they go viral.

30. Azure11 profile image83

One thing that is a bit disappointing though is that when you get a viral hub the CPM tends to dip massively for those big hit days so partially negates the effect of increased earnings :-(

Yes that is very sad

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Since the end of December my traffic AND my CPM's have been up.  I'm now making what I used to make before all of the crash and burn issues, which is not much, but it is at least better than before.  Maybe all the changes HP made are finally now kicking in?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

oops...spoke too soon.  My CPM's have dropped as of yesterday!

31. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I've never had a McDonald's coke, so wouldn't know.
    Thanks for the re-pin!
    Maybe if you slip something about nurses, coke and cheesecake into your dead bodies title, you might to better wink

How about exciting 'new tomb discovered in the Valley of the Kings - Egyptologists astounded to find the pharaoh's mummy dressed as a nurse and 200 slices of cheesecake and 85 cups of McDonalds coke preserved in the burial chamber'?

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, no, you've got it all wrong! I have it from reliable sources that the coke served as an embalming fluid to preserve the mummy and the cheesecake.

1. IzzyM profile image86

LOL - that's quite probably another use of coca-cola. Wouldn't surprise me if it worked!

2. CMHypno profile image82

See these experts can never agree lol!  Maybe Tutankhamun's mummy didn't spontaneously combust? Maybe the darkened skin was caused by using an inferior fountain coke as embalming fluid - should've gone to McDonalds!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)