"Google just made it really easy for strangers to email you..."

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

And that definitely includes spammers.

"You no longer need someone's email address to send them an email..."

Google+ user? Might want to read this... http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/9/529231 … ign=buffer

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What other wonderful ideas will they come up with!

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We are looking into this hard. And money for Google can be equaled with a handful of other "platform" advertisers. I am thinking that if I were to start looking for advert dollars I might include Google but not like before. I use them for my searches but am starting to look more specific. I think they are still great but the notion of a monopoly business plan is starting to fade. Just look at HP. They need to expand.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Defaulting people in is a dick move, but at least it does have an off switch.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

Nothing ladylike to say about this underhanded maneuver.

4. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 10 years ago

This is nothing to be considered unreasonable. Only people who you put in your circles will be able to send you email by typing just your name. Anyone else goes into a special social tab rather than your inbox, and you can always change your settings to allow all, or no one.

This is how post sharing has always been done in Google+ anyway. They are just integrating the same methodology into Gmail. And anyone using Gmail has already agreed to the terms of service. Or at least they should have read the terms before deciding to use Gmail.

Gmail is a free email service provided by Google. If one does not like the service, they should get a paid email account. Most Internet service providers, such as cable companies, include email accounts.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't have Gmail or use it, so does this apply to people like me?

5. psycheskinner profile image83

It is unreasonable to have a default opt in.  Just because someone is in my circle does not mean I want them emailing me.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Psycheskinner -  when you finally find the 'off' switch, the default actually says anyone on Google can contact you.  You can lower is to just your circles, but if you don't find the valve to shut it off, anyone in the world can spam you.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Marcy, The spam doesn't go into your inbox. Anyone else who is not in one of your circles will go into a special social tab as Google explains.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Except that I turned off the "special tabs" that Google opted me into because I don't want them.  I only let people email me if I want to read their emails, and when their emails arrive, I read them.  That is how I use email and if Google has a problem with that, well screw them.  I use email as a tool in my life according to my needs, not the whims of Google.  When that becomes impossible I shall use another service--a change I have made several times in the past before moving to Gmail.

I am an active and intelligent user of technology, not part of the 'complain but then just accept it' crowd.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
            Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well-stated, Psycheskinner  - I agree.  My phone, computer and life are my private domains. I hate junk mail, spam, and solicitation calls.

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

I posted a thread on this the other day.  It's sort of the last straw for me with Google. I actually cancelled my G+ account (too Big Brotherish now).  I know that will  tank my traffic even further, but we are not talking about a huge cliff for the drop-off.

7. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Glenn, I realize that's how it works, but it's still spam, and a violation of privacy.  I don't like getting spam messages on Facebook, either, even though they come in through the message mechanism - and I have my privacy set very tightly there. I block the spammers or the predators.

If the gates open on G+, it means people could have many spammy messages to sift through (in that special inbox), none of which, or only a few of which would be of interest.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The way I see it, all important emails come into our inbox. No need to look at the social tab. Any of those other emails (from people who are not in our circles) will never be seen unless you make an effort to look in that social tab Google created.

8. psycheskinner profile image83

The way I see it, if the email is important enough to read I don't want to receive it. 

Setting successfully located and turned off.

(Go to gmail, click the cog symbol at top right, select "settings", scroll down to 'who can email' option, and adjust as required).

As mentioned above the default is not your circles, it is everyone on G+ -- spammers, stalkers and sleazeballs included.

9. gitachud profile image68
    gitachudposted 10 years ago

Another reason why I am extremely afraid of Google.

Have you noticed that they are buying companies that have an artificial intelligence component to them? Nest Labs is now a Google company. For those who do not know about Nest Labs, they are the makers of intelligent smoke detectors. That doesn't sound bad--but remember a smoke detector is in every room in your building. Now think of an ''intelligent'' smoke detector that knows if there are people in the building, can learn your behavior and act accordingly.

Google knows everything about you- from the emails you send to your address, phone number, google searches and so much more.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub on that... big_smile

10. psycheskinner profile image83

Nope, just gmailers.

11. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 10 years ago

Non-Gmail email accounts will only receive emails sent specifically to that email address. For those who do use Gmail and who access it via the web, all you need to do is disable the Social tab and the Promotions tab.

In addition, when I confirmed "who can email me" I saw that I already had it sent to "circles only" - maybe that's because I set it in G+ a long time ago.

Some people say it defaults to "anyone on G+" - but even if that's the case, it is easy to change the setting as  psycheskinner mentioned earlier.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)