I write fiction

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Lee Lee 513 profile image59
    Lee Lee 513posted 10 years ago

I'm not sure how I can contribute, I like writing fiction but the only thing I've ever felt confident about was my religious belief but even then, I haven't read the whole bible. I was a cook for years but I still don't feel like an expert. Do you only want people who write about facts. Thank you for your time. Schandee

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to be an expert to write about your feelings, experiences, and opinions. For those things, there really aren't any right or wrong answers no matter what anyone tells you. The only facts involved with opinion pieces are those in your head and heart. When it comes to personal experiences, only you know the truth so that truth becomes the facts in your hub. So what it comes down to is even if I said I only want to read the "facts", that's what your feelings, experiences, and opinions are - facts.

As for writing about your religious beliefs, I think that's a good place to start if you feel confident in your viewpoint. There will always be people who disagree with whatever you believe, but don't let that stop you from writing and publishing those beliefs. You shouldn't feel as if you're not an expert on some of those beliefs just because you haven't read the entire Bible. You know why you believe what you believe. Start with that. If you want to add verses to make your point, you can look them up and learn more about Scripture as you go.

When it comes to my religious hubs, some of the facts I already knew and could quickly produce the hub while with others I learned as I went. I chose a topic I was interested in but had not yet studied. I sat down and conducted an in-depth study of the pertinent verses and then compiled my information to produce a hub. No I wasn't an expert at the time and may still not be an expert; however, the hubs contain the facts as I know them.

As for cooking, you have some experience at that so why not write about what you know? Just because you may not do something exactly as the so-called experts do it doesn't mean it isn't a fact that thing works and gets the job done with the same results. You may even teach the "experts" a thing or two.

I got a bit long-winded with this response, but I hope I got my opinion out  in a way you can understand what I'm trying to say. Don't let your fear or any feelings of inadequacy stop you from writing hubs. If we all did that, there wouldn't be many writers here at HP because I think there are times we all feel as if we're not an expert enough about a topic to share our thoughts and opinions.

Happy writing my friend.

Lee Lee 513posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your quick response and I agree with everything you said. Schandee

2. Tolovaj profile image89
      Tolovajposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Writing fiction will probably not earn significant amount of money here, but it can be of great help if you want to make connections, new friends, meet people with similar interests, build some kind of authority...

My hint would be to start writing about things you feel you can tell something interesting and when you find out what you are most confident at, open a blog. In this case you could imply knowledge which you will inevitably get here (with moderate activity you can get really good support), in more personal project, which in return can help you to drive traffic to your articles in HubPages.

It will take some time, but can be highly enjoyable process.

Thank you, I wrote a book last year and I was looking for places to promote the book. I came across this place on Monster.com looking for work. So I wasn't what I could write about. So I wrote about the Mexican Gray Wolf. So I'll see what happens, I'm not the world's authority on them. I love animals domestic and wild. I want to do my part to help. smile

1. profile image0
          sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's a wonderful hub. I read it just a little while ago. You're off to a great start!

3. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lee Lee, and welcome to HubPages! As many other Hubbers have kindly pointed out, you don't need to be an expert to write here. Cooking, religion, and the Mexican gray wolf are great Topics to start with! You can always compliment your opinions and personal experience with a bit of research. (For help getting started, check out the HP Newsletter on doing research for Hubs.)

You can certainly do creative writing on HubPages as well! When you start a creative Hub, file it under Books, Literature, and Writing>Commercial and Creative Writing>Creative Writing. This will ensure that your creative Hubs are easier to find and that they are rated by the QAP as creative writing rather than informative writing. Happy Hubbing! smile

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

There is a fiction category so obviously this is permitted, but it can be difficult to get traffic.

Thank you, sorry I can't find that, where is it?

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Welcome to HubPages, Lee Lee! 

Some of our most talented writers create fiction, humor and essays. Randy Godwin comes to mind, as well as Mark Ewbie and Billybuc.  As was mentioned, though, it can be challenging to get traffic (or an income) with hubs that are not just plain informational. But it's a pleasure to read those hubs, and those writers are cherished here

Regarding hubs about religion - I've written a few about the beliefs in my church (because people often have questions about it), and they eventually gained some traction & regularly get traffic. I think you could write about 'religious' topics that do not have to be full of theology or scriptures, and they'd be well-received. For example, finding a church that's a good fit, contrast in various churches, retaining faith during challenges, strengthening faith through difficult experiences, etc. 

FYI - when you first write a hub, it goes through a 'quality assessment' process that takes a day or so. This is very helpful as a resource to catch any problems that Google might not like and to give you feedback if needed.  As you write a hub, there's a little area on the upper right-hand part of the screen that helps track various elements HubPages has discovered that add quality to a hub. Hubs with at least 800-1200 words do better than only 500, hubs that have photos and videos do better than without them, and hubs that have text areas divided into capsules do better (it beaks them up visually). So,mic you watch that little screen, you can see your progress in those things.

Best of luck on the site - I look forward to reading your work!

Thank you and I appreciate the quick response. Schandee

4. JRScarbrough profile image75
    JRScarbroughposted 10 years ago

Lee Lee,

This outlet is probably better suited to how you go about writing fiction than the fiction itself.

I am also a creative writer but even articles on creative writing are just not that popular in the mainstream. Basically, write whatever you want as long as you are writing it for you. If you are looking to make money, then you should write whatever is popular.

You can see what is popular online by using keyword research tools over at adwords or something similar. Basically, my best performing hubs are not my favorite subjects to write about but are popular with anyone looking for answers about those subjects.

I did win a Rising Star and have a couple Editor’s Choice awards for my hubs about creative writing. I have not tried to place any of my creative writing here and so I’m not really sure what the traffic looks like for that sort of thing.

Good luck and have fun.

Thank you, that sounds like good advice and congrats on your awards.

Schandee smile

5. HuskyChaos profile image59
    HuskyChaosposted 10 years ago

I was wondering about the whole writing fiction issue as well. It is something I want to get in to and wondered if Hubpages had an area for it. Thank you for the answers in here.

If anyone knows somewhere similar to Hubpages that focuses on fiction, it would be great to know as well.

Thank you

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)