Followers On Social Media

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Kejanny profile image83
    Kejannyposted 10 years ago

Hub Pages is a great community where one has the opportunity to follow other hubbers.  I follow about 50 hubbers or great writers of topics that interests me.

Some of these hubbers also include their Facebook, Twitter, Google + or Pinterest link that says one can follow them there, too.

There is a particular writer whom I always read the hubs and share on social medial. My friends and their friends read the hubs.  I wanted to follow the writer on Facebook.  The writer reported me to Facebook (that I don't know her) and Facebook banned/blocked my account.

If a writer does not want followers and readers, why providing your social media details in the first place?  Why indicating that anyone online can read your work, your profile and follow you?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kejanny,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. When contacting someone on social media for the first time, it's usually a good idea to send a message letting that person know who you are and how you know him/her. The Hubber you are referring to may not have realized you were a friend from HubPages.

Alternately, you can always send other Hubbers a message here on HubPages asking to follow them on social media before trying to add them.

2. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I realize I was having some sort of paranoia recently when I had no idea who half my FB friends really were. This was due to being stalked several times on FB. Recently I realized that many people use different usernames on FB than what they use on HP and it's hard to tell who you are dealing with.

I think it was a little harsh blocking you but, I can understand what that hubber might have been thinking. I went through a phase where I unfriended a lot of people until I could verify they were from HP first. the hubber may have had a terrible Facebook experience.

3. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think I unintentionally did the same thing not too long ago. I got a friend request from a person with a username with which I wasn't familiar so I didn't add them to my friend list; however, I didn't report them. I'm not sure if they did the same thing I did here at HP so I'll mention it in case anyone has linked to the incorrect FB page. I have two FB pages - one personal for family and friends and a "fan page" about my writing. When I first posted the link here, I typed in the one I chose for my custom URL not realizing it would take people to my personal page and not my fan page. That's now been corrected so if anyone clicks on my FB link here they go directly to my fan page. I don't think the person should've reported you, but perhaps they were getting a lot of friends requests from people they don't really recognize when they wouldn't have the problem if they had the correct link to either a fan page or a personal FB account they have set up for people who might want to follow their writing, movies, or whatever. If anyone would prefer only connecting with certain people at FB, they should send a message using the HP contact link instead of having the active link to their FB page.

1. a beautiful mess profile image86
        a beautiful messposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, there is a question once you deny someone as a friend - it asks you if you know that person outside of facebook. If I don't, I answer "no." Then, facebook says it won't let that person send any more requests. Which sounds reasonable to me, if you don't know the person then why should they? But for them to actually take it as a report and ban the person from facebook is ridiculous - especially because mistakes happen.

1. profile image0
          sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I forgot about the thing which effective blocks the person from sending any more requests. That would be the best thing to use.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

As far as I'm concerned, FB is run by a bunch of dorks.

Awhile back, FB suddenly poked me with a stick and presented me with a list of folks I might want to follow. I duly went through the list and followed all the names I recognized. None complained as far as I know.

FB immediately blocked my account. Screw them. I haven't followed anyone since.

Rant concluded.

Come to think of it, I did do a couple poke-backs recently. I wonder if my account is now blocked again...

Actually, this isn't a rant; because I couldn't care less. big_smile

3. a beautiful mess profile image86
    a beautiful messposted 10 years ago

That wasn't me, was it? Somebody tried to add me recently on Facebook, and I denied the request because I didn't know who they were. That'll happen sometimes, and I don't know how to tell if the people are from HubPages or Pinterest or whatnot. Generally, if I don't have any mutual friends with them and I don't recognize them, I'll decline it. There's no way to tell that you may know the person if you don't recognize the name and photo - so I'd agree with Christy, just send them a message first!

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

It is a good idea to follow a bunch of people you know really well before expanding your circle.  Any account can get slapped but only fairly new/small accounts tend to get deleted altogether.

In fact looking now, your account seems fine--not banned or blocked in general.  Just probably banned from trying to friend that person which is no big deal IMHO.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)