Stop Emailing Non-Featured Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Everyday I get HP emails which include newly published Hubs in Topics I am following.  One of the Topics I follow is SEO, because that is my line of work and I've published several Hubs in that Topic.  The problem is that most new Hubs in that Topic are spam and 98% of the time when I click on the newly published Hub link, I get the page which says the Hub doesn't exist or has been removed.

Also, people who follow certain Topics are scrapers who will copy a Hub and republish it before it is featured.  This makes it difficult for the real author to claim ownership (unless he has posted it immediately to Google+ upon publication). 

I want HP to quit sending notices about new Hubs until a Hub has passed QAP and is featured.  Also, please remove new Hubs from the 'Recent Images' on the Profile until the Hubs are featured. And, please stop putting new Hubs published on the activity feed until they are featured.

Probably no one from 'the team' will respond to this, but I think these changes would go a long way toward preventing plagiarists from copying Hubs and would save Hubbers the annoyance of receiving announcements about Hubs which don't exist.

1. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're right on all points.  I would like to add one more point. This "Editors Choice" garbage. That indication is putting the best hubs right where scrapers can find them. It makes their work much easier.

2. EGamboa profile image76
    EGamboaposted 10 years ago

Having read this, and I agree, Writer Fox; however my short attention span had me quickly reading the Hubs under your question which brought me to an article that said something about 'group feature.' The idea was that our titles shouldn't be too similar, but there is a group feature. What and where is that Write Fox…I thought it only right to bring the question back to you since I'm here to read your Discussion topic. I think I only get emails on Hubbers I chose to follow. I try to choose them on if A. they are really good, and so I can learn from them, or B. they are similar to me either with amount of Hubs or time on here, so I have sort of a peer group. And I still get very, very many emails that I try to keep up with. I hope I'm not clicking on anything that encourages plagiarism.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you go to your Accounts Page, on the grey menu bar at the top there is an option for 'Groups.'  Or, you can go here:
      http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/groups

This lets you put you own Hubs into groups and two of those Hubs will show at the bottom of any Hubs you have put into that group.

I was talking about the Topic pages.  All of the Topics are here:
      http://hubpages.com/topics/all/1

If you go to a Topic, there is a green 'Follow' button at the top.  If you click on that button, you will get emails for every new Hub published in that Topic, just like you get emails when a Hubber you follow publishes a new Hub.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

Suggestion: Check out the profile of the writer before you open the Hub to see what you find in their profile. If you cannot find anything then write HP to see if they are a member.

4. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 10 years ago

It's something that should definitely be addressed. If an unfeatured hub is being read by someone, it does nothing for the hubber as well.

1. Sue Adams profile image96
      Sue Adamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

it does nothing for the hubber either

5. EGamboa profile image76
    EGamboaposted 10 years ago

Thanks Writer Fox for the Groups info! I bookmarked it to use later.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)