Evolution is more than life

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (23 posts)
  1. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 10 years ago

Life depends on extremely narrow parameters, and couldn't have come into existence unless many specific, often unusual and rare, properties of physics and chemistry happened just the way they did, in just the right order.

Life, in my opinion, is a fundamental part of the universe, and began it's long, 13.7 billion year process of evolution, starting with the big bang.

There are many physical and chemical properties (if not all of them) that have to be perfect for life as we know it to exist.

Protons and electrons have to have matching charge.

A specific type of star has to create carbon in a specific way.

Water has to have it's exact, unusual properties.

A moon of the right size and distance has to be in place around the Earth.

Evolution depends on very narrow parameters, and requires the entire history of the universe.

I think it is specifically made that way, for a specific end result. I see purpose behind it.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

While you see purpose and intelligence, I see the results of chaos.  There is nothing we know of that is special to that "life as we know it" except that we're in the group.  Other life forms would undoubtedly feel the same.

So a specific set of circumstances gives rise to a specific form of life.  Exactly what should be expected, and with no indication of a purpose.  Only when we decide that we are special enough to warrant the attention of ET out there, that has decided OUR form of life is what it wants, is there any reason to see purpose.  And that is egotistical in the extreme; we have no reason whatsoever to think any of that.

janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe God didn't see a point of creating a Universe without life in it.

Maybe there are multiple Universes, with different sets of natural laws.

Maybe this is the only kind of Universe capable of being created, because nothing else would work, and it simply exists with no creator.

I think what I think because I SEE purpose, so I assume it has to have had a purpose in the first place.

All of those are possibilities, but the only one that even might have a purpose is #1.

No you don't; you see complexity almost beyond our comprehension and decide that it has to have a purpose.  That no one (ET) would go to that much effort without a purpose.  Or that the probabilities of it just happening are impossible, without ever knowing what those probabilities actually are.

You don't understand, so assume a purpose without knowing if it is so.

You're right, I do assume a purpose without knowing if there is one.

Just the same, you assume there isn't one, without knowing if there is one.

I am willing to admit I might be wrong. Are you?

Of course - I've always said that.  There may be a god out there, a creator - we just can't know.

But I've never used my ignorance as the root of belief, that's all.  If I can't find at least SOME evidence of something I'll hold belief in abeyance and behave as if it isn't true until I do have evidence.  My desire is very seldom a reason to believe.

I didn't know that about you, I'm glad you're open minded.

I don't think my belief is based on ignorance. I believe it is based on circumstancial evidence. Which I think will be proven someday. Where you see chaos, I see design. You see coincidence, I see design.

2. Dr Lamb profile image53
      Dr Lambposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A universe with billions of galaxies and each with billions of stars and planets. And one would think that the odds of have one planet that has the correct ingredients would be narrow? Of the eight planets in our solar system two may have contained life, one does for sure. Extrapolate those odds tot the rest of the universe and you've got some high numbers. That being said I find it incredibly arrogant to think all of this was created just for us and us alone. It's just like us though to invent a God that makes everything just for us.

I didn't say we had to be the only planet with life. I think it would be pretty rare though, to be able to fit in with all the needed parameters.

3. oceansnsunsets profile image85
      oceansnsunsetsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You make excellent points.  It would be far more difficult to NOT see purpose in it.  I would add these to clarify for myself anyway, intent, agency and intelligence.  For it to not be the case, is just to unbelievable of an idea to rationally entertain.

I see purpose, and many others do to. But there are people who absolutely refuse to even entertain the idea.

I thought about this last night. I tried to think of a way that the universe can be so perfect, without intentional design. I couldn't come up with anything. I had an idea or two, but nothing that I think would be realistic. I think it's a possibility, but so improbable that I think my time would be wasted exploring it further. I think my time is better spent trying to figure out what the purpose IS.

How do you determine that probability?  I can't imagine any method of determining (or even making a wild guess) as to why the proton/electron charges are precisely opposite, for instance.

I've seen people trying to estimate probabilities of life from primordial soup, but even that seemingly easy task quickly deteriorates into making pure guesses and, in every one I've seen, faulty math.  Of course, they are all a misbegotten effort to "prove" it to be impossible, too, and that may be why they have all been such failures.

Maybe probability was a badly chosen word. What I mean is that I simply think it's unlikely.

Oh, I think probability is the correct and right term, it's just almost as difficult to find as actual proof, at least in this matter.

We do, after all, very often use probability in determining truth, although we seldom describe it that way.  Sitting on a jury, it is almost never clear cut; it comes down to the probability of this vs that.  Same for two children fighting.  Same for why the car suddenly died.  We almost always have alternative possibilities, but which is the most probable?

In the case of a creator it becomes impossible because that creator is generally described as being undetectable; it cannot be found by any means available to us.  Then add in that the Big Bang is almost total mystery, with nothing to base that probability idea on, and it is all quite impossible.

The only thing I've ever found that plays a part in the probability of God's existence are the unstated and ignored requirements for the god.  Another, also hidden, universe, but only one.  With (description) exactly one intelligent creature, no more.  That is omnipotent and omniscent (description).  That has lived for an eternity and will live for another one (description). 

Putting all those unlikely ideas together, with the other ideas they produce, and I find the god idea to be very unlikely.  Possible, but very unlikely.

Now, you postulate a bunch of creatures, inhabiting one of many or infinite universes, one or more of which struggled and fought and eventually made our universe, and I wouldn't hazard a guess.  Insufficient data.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image85
          oceansnsunsetsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds smart to me. I personally think the clues for those intentionally looking, are there to point them back to the very thing that got the ball rolling in the first place.  You wouldn't ever need any religion, or bible, or other revelation than that, to have a very strong suspicion of such a being that seems to operate with intentionality.  We don't just have something instead of nothing, but we have a whole bunch of amazing things instead of nothing, including beings that can ponder their own existence.  It is amazing to observe this kind of faith in material stuff, without agency.

I think the clues are there for people who look for them too. Maybe God does that on purpose, who knows?

I actually think God want's us to find him. For some reason, he seemed to leave clues, like breadcrumbs, for those interested in looking.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54
              EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why? Is God playing hide and seek? Seems rather childish of Him.

Perhaps.

2. Remigijus profile image60
    Remigijusposted 10 years ago

It's not that god created people but that people created god. Just a thought out of the box:)

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That thought is nothing new. I would think it started back in the Bronze Age when god was invented.

Sorry, but you are going to have to move the "invention" of God at least back to the Mesolithic, 10,000 bc.

3. JDubya profile image69
    JDubyaposted 10 years ago

Why not approach the question scientifically? Find a community of faith whom you can approach respectfully and figure out what it takes to join them for a season. Not forever, just be honest and say that you're looking for answers. Then within the context of community, engage in science: observe, hypothesize, test. Yours are the only observations that matter in this test. Speak to the silence with sincerity, "God - if you're real and want to know me, show me who you are."

Put it to the test, come back with your observations, and let's discuss.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is a good group for that.

http://guest.alphausa.org/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)