What's your Destiny?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Isabelgmz profile image69
    Isabelgmzposted 10 years ago

How does one know what their purpose in life is? and how do we go about pursuing it, against the odds?

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wonder why we always imagine it is against the odds.

2. paradigmsearch profile image58
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To contribute to society. And to enjoy yourself while doing it.

2. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 10 years ago

Good question, like anything you buy, most of the time there is an instruction guide that goes with it ,like a new cell phone, a computer, even a car, human life also has a an instruction guide as well ,it has traveled through out all human history. And has out lived many human life's, It tells the beginning, it tells the family tree, it tells the flaws of human error , it tells of happiness and goodness, it tell how badness and wickedness was birthed, it tells why all people die!  The question you are asking is there also, We all want to live a good life,and we all want to be happy with our family and friends, But we can not have this fully until death and sickness which is our enemy is gone ,We all as humans are born here on this planet, the same as our first two parents,  They had everything to be happy . No problems or even sickness or death existed ,their Heavenly Father gave them everything.  And told them to be fruitful fill the earth  They only had one law to live by. not to eat from one tree belonging to the father , the book of Genesis tells us everything.  They disobeyed and caused a  global epidemic of death to all humans,This is still valid because we all still die, rather we are rich or poor young or old small and great we still die , What future did Almighty God want for us all is found in the book 2 Peter 3:13, Isaiah 65:22 ,that they will not build for someone else to inhabit ,nor will they plant for some one else to eat. For their days will be like the life of a tree. A long life. You see we are still in our heavenly fathers plans of making this whole earth a paradise ,that means a lot of cleaning and planting and building. We can make plans for other interest , but the future is in our Heavenly Father hands. He is searching for the new citizens of the New heavens and New earth. It starts by accurately being educated with truth, and making needed adjustments in certain lifestyles. The same as if you where to visit another country and would want a citizenship . You would have to learn their laws and know something of their language, The bible is really a language of it's own. People can learn the language and many live it today.www.jw,org is very useful to learn more.

3. cecileportilla profile image71
    cecileportillaposted 10 years ago

I don't think anyone really knows. May after retirement or towards the end of our live we can love back and ask whether we achieved Maslow's self actualization. We can then do the evaluation within that context. Is everyone supposed to have a purpose? What about those who died at birth, those who lived without making any type of visible contribution to society or those who spent their entire lives committing crimes?

1. Kiss andTales profile image60
      Kiss andTalesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Since we have nothing to do with our birth , we are created for a reason and purpose! The answer is reachable , and most all humans  can access  the real truth.  Happiness is global is real  and it is possible with  global unity. The bible tells how.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't follow that reasoning at all.  Why assume there is any external purpose in the first place?  Why not focus on goving you life the meaning you want it to have instead?

can we really control external forces ?  they  block the  possibilies  the focus  of how to receive the real meaning  of life, as an example  you buy a product you want to achieve  all understanding  of how to get the best use of your product, and operate with any problems, you can either guess and randomly go by your own choices of how it may works ,Or you can learn in trial and error which could result in  breakage , just by reading the manufacture operation guides  you can avoid pitfalls, I have never met a perfect person in my years of living here. I would not expect to receive perfect advice from imperfect people like myself. But I will accept perfect information from a perfect source who has not failed in his words or his work,. Psams 83:18. Man has had his time through out history to prove that he can not rule himself, we are at  a point of global destruction.  Simple meaning  bad tenants , But a new citizenship is taking place as we speak.. They take very serious that valuable guide book the bible, they have research it ,and still rely on it for all the answers from the past and it gives answers for our future as well. No other book is perfect .

When you say external force I am thinking of forces here on earth that  interfere with the true purpose  a happy life for us toady.

2. Dr Lamb profile image54
        Dr Lambposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I don't see how that fact that we didn't asked to be born has anything to do with it having a purpose?

If you are going to sell something please attempt to make some sense or at least give us something to follow.

3. Kiss andTales profile image60

What I was saying is that no human from the very start had any control of their being born. And it was until we reach a certain age that we start to realize  that we are people. As we grow we start to ask question , and one day we will ask the question of our purpose , For questions are vital just as answers are.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54
          EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Many grow up and create their own purpose rather than questioning it, especially considering there is no valid answer for any purpose we may have had bestowed upon us.

True that is certainly a free will! Just as I was attempting to explain, there are choices, But everything has a purpose, example the the Sun does not just exist  and sit there and have no purpose ,it compliments the earth, it gives us light and it keeps us warm,  are we responsible for its presence ? No  we can not even move this power house. , the same as the moon,without it the earth would wobble across the universe, Many things benefit us a humans and serve a purpose to our survival!  Why!  Many people are born in different inviroment s  under different situations  yes they may create there own  purpose in life , but that is like creating your own instructions on how to make  a computer work, you might succeed or you might fail , the earth is filled with with examples, people have been creating their own ways of running life and Goverment , I have never seen success!  We are at the point of global destruction. All because man has done it his way.the true guide that people have ignored really is effective and would work in harmony with our purpose in life.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54
              EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL. Sorry, but the Sun has no purpose, it is nothing more than a fusion reactor turning hydrogen into helium, which is not a purpose, but instead, a result of gravity.

LOL. Sorry, but the Earth started out without a moon and remained in it's orbit around the Sun without any "wobbling across the universe".

You appear to have things backwards. Using an analogy, a pothole does not conform to the puddle of water contained within it.

I created a thread called, "Be Prepared", which is quite relevant to your post.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

To read and to write.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Whatever I decide.

6. cecileportilla profile image71

Sorry about the typos. The first part of my statement should read maybe after retirement or towards the end of our lives we can look back and ask whether we have achieved Maslow's self actualization. . . .

7. THarman7 profile image61
    THarman7posted 10 years ago

Many people, never really know what the exact purpose of life is . For each person of course its different, some know right away, and some never figure it out. I believe that setting goals for yourself helps push you along the road to purpose. Doing right in life, loving your family, and friends, being honest. Don't sell your self short on anything and look at life each day as a gift. The odds in life are very good, but only if you put out the effort. Life can bring you down, and sometimes its to the point, you don't know how to get back up, but getting back up, and starting again only makes you stronger, and wiser next time.   
    Hope this helps!

Isabelgmzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this ! I agree

8. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 10 years ago

Have faith, read the Bible, attend God's remnant church and remain obedient to God's Word. His Holy Spirit shall guide you in the direction that you should go. Want to know more? Follow me.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is your destiny to be a spammer for God?

2. Isabelgmz profile image69

Thank you!

9. cecileportilla profile image71

I really  like this answer! By focusing on giving our lives the meaning that we want it to have we wont be forced to live up to other people's expectations.

I agree!

10. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 10 years ago

Very interesting question, and also some interesting ones from cecilportilla.  I think that a person would only believe in a pre-determined purpose in life if they believed in god, or in some kind of greater purpose.  Without this belief it doesn't make any more sense than a squirrel or a whale having a purpose in life.  Unless we're talking about our collective evolutionary purpose. 

I think that when people talk about having found their purpose in life, they mean that they've found something that they can do extremely well and effortlessly, perhaps something that completely matches a skill or attribute that they have.  Or else they might be talking about something that they greatly enjoy, and would like to spend their whole life doing this thing.

thank you!

11. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 10 years ago

Sorry cecilportilla, I'd somehow only managed to read the first four comments, so the interesting questions I was referring to were the ones that you asked in your first post on this thread.  ("Is everyone supposed to have a purpose?  What about those who died at birth etc...")

12. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 10 years ago

I don't know if I have a destiny (or if anyone does, but I would think it's all or none).

It's annoying to think that my life might have a "purpose" that was preplanned for me.

So either way, I choose to live as if I don't, even if I'm not really making my own choices.

1. paradigmsearch profile image58
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To all...

Janesix has 98 followers. That is a pathetic state of affairs. I've known her as a worthy Hubber for a long time. So, if any of you slackers happen to like her; let her know. big_smile

1. janesix profile image60
        janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol....that's because I'm a pain in the @$$

13. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 10 years ago

Sorry you do not understand , I try to write short answers ,and tend to think I have covered my point, thanks for your reply , I will gadly repost an answer to the question.

14. nihongotraveler profile image62
    nihongotravelerposted 10 years ago

Your purpose is to forge the life you want while you are here, and to learn from your experiences.

I'm a believer that we are here multiple times, to learn multiple things over the course of multiple life-times, until we evolve to our next stage in our soul's evolution.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)