Is there another score glitch?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Isabella Snow profile image85
    Isabella Snowposted 16 years ago

Or has there been a massive reworking of hub article ranking algorithm? Lots of 44-47s for hubs published in the last hour or so, and I know mine have gotten views. Cant recall ever having a 44 before. Thought perhaps I was being punished (joke) til I saw it with a few others as well. I realize there have been recent adjustments and it takes longer to climb, but should it really drop 6 points 10 minutes after publishing at 50?

2. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 16 years ago

Me too Isabella - By the time I publish Hubs they are usually 60+ but my latest was 43 when I published about an hour ago.  Annoying when blatent spammers are starting on 49 !

3. Hope Alexander profile image68
    Hope Alexanderposted 16 years ago

Just out of curiosity, and this may not be the place to ask this, but does Hub Score matter in the slightest?

Does it affect how Google ranks your page and your traffic from search engines?

I figure those are the important things when publishing Hubs, and I've always regarded HubScores as being pretty well irrelevant, especially when my earners often aren't the ones with great Hub Scores. I have a few PR 3 and 4 hubs with scores in the 60's and 70's, and I see much higher rated hubs from some other hubbers that don't have any PR whatsoever, and honestly are just rewrites of content you can find in about a million other places.

Given that HubScore seems to have little bearing on how good the hub is, and how much it earns, who really cares?

The same would apply to the overall Hub Score, whilst I think the very top Hubbers deserve their places, because I can see that they have a great deal of high quality hubs, it seems that once you get into the 90 - 97 range, things get fairly murky.  I say this after seeing that several of the people in the high 90's aren't actually making any money at all really, whereas people with lower scores are earning 4-5 times the amount, maybe even more.

1. Isabella Snow profile image85
      Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

That would be me, which I'd have thought somewhat obvious!

My understanding is that each hub's score is somehow factored into a hubber's overall score. It certainly used to be, anyway. That algorithm is always changing, but to go to 44 in 10 minutes is bizarre.

1. Hope Alexander profile image68
        Hope Alexanderposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Well obviously, perhaps I asked the question wrong, my question really was 'Why care?'. Especially you Isabella, you're top of the charts most days anyway.

2. Write On! profile image69
      Write On!posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hi Gals,

Thank you both for such intellgent conversation regarding score:-)  I have found myself in much trouble asking questions, trying to understand the whole thing to know even if I should care?  LOL

But, there is no question that when a high score places your Hubs in more visible places... well - hello:-)  It "appears" as though it does matter!

Else why the score in the first place?  And why do so many get all "crazy" when it is brought up, as if it is a sin to be concerned with such a material thing...

I too, although only here for awhile now... am noticing a lot of strange behavior with Hubs.  Nothing really makes sense.  Some here have told me to just sit back and see what happens... (suck it up:-)  Yikes...  that is not my style.

I like things simple.  Tell me how it works, so I can work with the system.  I am not trying to be difficult... just knowledgeable.  And yet, it seems that to some.... the questioning is poor behavior?  LOL

I would tend to agree with what you have said here...  I had a hub go from 80 - 97 - back to like 84 in only hours.  Another before published was low 50s and then right after it went live... dropped to upper 40s???

Score must matter....  Misha on another thread yesterday, illuded to the fact that it takes longer to be spidered by  Google when you are not being noticed on HP.  So you tell me... does score matter?

Be careful though, if score matters... then you are in trouble!  LOL

So.... once again ladies, thank you for your very reasonable and legitimate questions and the lovely conversation that I have observed here.

tDMg
      Write on
      Kathryn

Hope - I promise I will never slap your hand for asking a question or perhaps in the "wrong" place:-) ta ta!

1. writewanda profile image58
        writewandaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

DITTO!

4. Isabella Snow profile image85

Well... if I'm right about those calculations, it's unlikely I'd be well ranked for long if my hubs were all staying at 44 or even 50. Which is why I asked if there was a glitch, as I believe there was one a week or so ago. The scores seem to be going up now, so I guess there isn't one.

5. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Nana,

Scores on individual Hubs will fluctuate over a 5-10 point range normally.

Your personal score will also fluctuate, although the more Hubs you have and the longer you have been Hubbing the more stable it will get.

You do NOT need to worry about variations of a few points. Less than 10 being a few.

Believe me, when I started I did my head in over this, and I swear to you, you really CAN relax!

Jenny

6. Isabella Snow profile image85

My question was not about whether or not score matters.

It was about whether or not there was a glitch.

If there was one, it's fixed now.

7. _Benjamin profile image61
    _Benjaminposted 16 years ago

My highest hubscore is what? 68-70, and yet I have an overall score of around 85. And I agree with you, although I have a very low readership my last couple of hubs had a initial HubScore of like 45, when others started at 55.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)