Pinning at Pinterest?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of allowing people to pin your hubs at Pinterest? When a person does pin a hub, does it show the entire hub or just a link to the hub here at HP?

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image79
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It shows a photograph and the link along with the "H" in bold and people do not pin a hub just a photograph from the hub.

1. profile image0
        sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. As Long as I've been doing things on the internet, Pinterest is one of the sites I haven't yet checked out. Now I know how it works.

2. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 10 years ago

Some people have hubs go viral or mini viral through Pintrest. It opens your work up to a new audience with their set of followers.  I have a bloody mary recipe that gets repinned often, without that I think it would get no traffic.

Wrylilt has an excellent hub on Made for Pintrest Images.  Many people get substantial traffic through Pintrest.

1. profile image0

I didn't know Pinterest had such a big following, but if hubs can get a lot of hits from there, I'll have to change my settings.

3. ChicagoPhotos profile image70
    ChicagoPhotosposted 10 years ago

Because "pining" or "liking" or retweeting" or thumbs up" are all  electronic forms of sharing an idea they like.   By not adding these functions you are basically saying " if you like this, I made it extra hard you to share it "   and if you only allow FB or Linkedin or only the social media you use, it is equal to saying " I only want you to share this these ways, not the best way YOU choose" 
    You would think you would want as many ways to share you content as possible, you don't have to understand it, but a no brainer is to go with the biggest ones first.

BTW- there are stats that show people who buy through pintrest  spend some of the highest amounts on the web for online purchases.  Sounds like my kind of audience.

Hope this helps.

1. profile image0

Thanks. I have seen my books pinned even though I'm not sure how much that has increased my sells, but I'm sure it has some effect. As any writer, I'd love to see more people take an interest in my work here at HP so I'll go change my settings.

4. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 10 years ago

I recently had a comment on one of my hubs where someone tried to pin the picture but they were told it was not pinable. Why would something not be pinable? I still don't quite understand the whole concept.

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image96
      Glimmer Twin Fanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dolores - You may have pinning disabled on your hubs.  You can check your setting under your profile.  The other day I tried to pin something of yours and there was no pin button.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image89
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dolores,

As Glimmer Twin Fan mentioned, you may have disabled Pinning in your settings. If you want to enable it, visit My Account > Profile > Social Networks and uncheck the box next to “Disallow Pinterest users from pinning my Hubs.”

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Checked.  Phew!

2. profile image0

I never knew the option was available until I was surfing around all of the various links in my account. I just happened to stumble on it the other day. I guess I should've done that sooner.

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

I average maybe 1,000 visits a day from Pinterest. Using the right images, it can be a great source of traffic.

1. profile image0

Sounds like Pinterest would definitely provide a big boost if someone can see what may interest them enough to visit a hub. I've changed my settings to allow pinning so I'll have to keep an eye on how many views I get from there.

1. Writer Fox profile image30
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Pinterest is a social sharing site.  Presently, there are no financial incentives (revenue sharing) for actually being a member of the site.

People can share pins to photos on your Hubs within the site itself, without ever visiting your Hubs. 

You do get a link to your Hub from each pin, but it is a NoFollow link and that means that it will not contribute to the Google PageRank of your Hub and it also means that not every pin will result in an actual visit to your Hub.

Occasionally, a photo from one of your Hubs may garner a temporary boost in page views for your Hub, but the CPM is usually quite low from those visits.

To get tons of page views from Pinterest, you usually have to spend a lot of time working on the site, following boards, developing a following etc. Usually, if you don't do any of that, you should get at least a few pins and Facebook likes from people who visit your Hubs and participate in those sites even if you don't.

I think the HP record-holder is mommytalks who has "over 274,000 pins" to a single Hub. She only has one Hub on her Profile and that Hub only has one photo, so it's easy to go there and see what works on Pinterest.

Three of the disadvantages are: 1) some people on Pinterest will change the link to your Hub (I've had to report this on my Hubs several times to Pinterest and the site removed the pins in question); 2) occasionally, a Pinterest page will outrank your Hub for the keywords you used; and 3) the pinner can change the caption you wrote on your photo, which may or may not be important to you.

I allow my photos to be pinned and my Hubs to be Facebook-liked, and I am glad when someone decides to share them.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Writer Fox:  I checked the hub you mentioned and what interests me is that the photo is one of a brand name product...something we are supposed to be carefull about using due to plagiarism issues.  How did she get away with doing that??

That use would probably fall under "fair use" in copyright law.  Also, she is promoting the purchase of the product so it is unlikely that the copyright owner would object. (I don't think HP does anything about photo violations unless it is contacted by the owner of the copyright.)

2. profile image0

Thanks for the details. I'm just now getting around to learning about some of the other sites out there and your explanation really helps.

You're welcome!

3. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OR you can use made for Pinterest images so you don't even have to join Pinterest, and make your current visitors do the work. Plus people are a lot less likely to steal or mislink your images.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)