Suggestion for Content Tabs

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Mary McShane profile image78
    Mary McShaneposted 10 years ago

I am primarily a niche writer, (health/medical hubs) but I write short stories, reviews and opinion pieces too.   My articles are all thrown in together on the list on my profile when visitors look over my hub titles.

When I originally write the hub, on the right "Display options,"  I use the hub grouping tool to separate the topics for myself, but the visitor doesn't see that the hubs are separated by group. I've been using the carousel on my profile to showcase new hubs, but that doesn't separate them by category either.

My sister says when she looks over my list from my profile page, after she clicks CONTENT, she has a hard time finding just health articles in one section. All the hubs are clumped together.

I told her my paltry little 35 hubs is nothing. Wait until you get to hubbers who have 400 plus hubs and they are on ten different categories!  When I visit those hubbers, and I'm specifically looking for health, it makes me skip them. They may have a gem of a hub in there, which I can't see, but I am missing it because it is buried in with the other category topics he or she writes.

I wish there was a way to group them with tabs (maybe) on my profile page (My Content) so I could put the health articles in one, HOW TO articles in another, writing advice in another, video hubs in another, etc.  This way when visitors come to my profile, each category has all the hubs that correspond.

I think it will make it easier for visitors to separate them, to be able to see what is available in each category.

So - HUBPAGES?

Is it possible for you to make a category or grouping tab on the CONTENT part of Profile so we can group of hubs?  That way the grouping organizing info I used in the hub grouping tool can be carried over to profile and make it easier for visitors to locate overall categories to get to the hub topics they want to read?

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8744118_f248.jpg

1. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree Mary, this is a great idea.

2. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

People have asked for this many times, but the staff has said 'no':
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/117803#post2483843

1. Mary McShane profile image78
      Mary McShaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Writer Fox. I did look over the discussions and saw this question asked before - the last was here http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/107751  So I don't know if the Carousel was the answer to that question or if the Carousel was here all along.  Or if there was any solution at all. I've only been here 3 months, hard to know what has been in place and what is new.

Since it was some time that the last question had been posted, I didn't think it would hurt to ask again. 

I'm hoping to at least  get an answer and that is the best I can hope for.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

I agree wholeheartedly with this suggestion.  I have almost 200 hubs, and really liked the way the profile page looked when things were separated by category.  Now, it is all a mish mash.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 10 years ago

Your groups are your personal choice and HubPages can't control that, so they group your Hubs according to the official categories.

The big problem is that the "Show:All" button - where readers can select to show by category - is so tiny, most readers (and a lot of Hubbers) don't even notice it.

The only comfort I can offer (which is a bit back-handed) is that very few readers will ever visit your profile, so it's not worth worrying about. 

As I said on another thread, HubPages is rather like a magazine or newspaper.   You see it differently because you're a Hubber, so you're aware of authors and profiles and sub-domains - but visitors are not.  They may occasionally be conscious of a byline when reading an article, but most of the time they just browse from one to another with little consciousness of who wrote it. That's how most visitors to HubPages behave.  Your profile is mainly viewed by other Hubbers (and by family and friends).

1. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I never even knew about a 'show all" button, so thanks for that.

5. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 10 years ago

This idea sounds very good to me, too. I only have 38 published hubs or so after deleting those with poor scores or low traffic. I'm doing my best to group my hubs and thought about featuring one category at a time, which would entail six hubs on a particular theme or subject. Until your idea is implemented, that is probably the best we can do and hope that search engines direct the reader to the article he or she wants to read.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)