Point-Counterpoint Feature

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. amiebutchko profile image71
    amiebutchkoposted 10 years ago

I was just thinking, it might be cool to have a point/counterpoint feature in which on author might provide a counterpoint to a hub already written.  If they were both good, perhaps they could somehow be featured in a juxtaposed format, so readers could objectively get both sides of an issue, if both authors agreed.  That way, both authors would benefit from the aggregate readership counts, as well as, it might boost seo of both articles, from the mutual link between articles.  It may also boost comments?  It would have to be done very respectfully/objectively, of course, and each hub would not refer to the other hub in the actual content; it would just be a hub on the opposite viewpoint.  Perhaps, hubpages could even throw out some topics for potential point/counterpoint hub writings and people could "accept the challenge" with the best ones being featured next to each other in some way.  I think it would benefit readers as well, as they would get comprehensive information on a topic. 

Just as an example of a scenario, I am publishing a hub on teaching your child abstinence vs. safe sex principles.  Maybe another author might disagree with this viewpoint and elect to write a hub on teaching kids safe sex vs. abstinence.  As you can imagine, readers would then be presented with two objective sides of the argument, even better if it was a topic they googled.  Perhaps at the bottom of each hub, it could just say something like: "For a Counterpoint to this article, read: x hub" and link to it...

Sorry not more fleshed out.  Just a thought for the future....

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually, many people already do that in the comments section of some Hubs.

1. zeke2100 profile image61
        zeke2100posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I too have suggested this feature, and an official hubpages admin finally stated that in their meeting that it would take up too much bandwidth and they were not going to implement this feature at this time.

Link: (http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112863)

amiebutchkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh!  I didn't realize that it had already been suggested.  Should have researched a little better....  Thanks!

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have done that, in a way, by giving a link to another hub with the counterpoint, accompanied by a short comment that it was there if the reader is interested in reading a different viewpoint.  Seems like a good thing, adding to reader experience.

I don't believe the favor has ever been returned, with a link back to my hub, though. big_smile

You know, on separate topic, I have linked to people's articles before, in a like a "other reading on this topic" section at the bottom of my hubs.  Generally, do you notify other authors if you do link to their hubs, as a courtesy?  They might like to know, but I never thought of doing it before...  Thanks, Wilderness.  I think that the hub you did that for must have been a pretty interesting one....!

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Usually I let them know, sometimes not. 

But used as a counterpoint, it seems to me that it gives me more credibility.  In recognizing that others disagree, I can present the reader with a differing viewpoint, something different than my own.  I know I would appreciate it, and assume others will too.

2. profile image0
      Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years ago

That seems like an excellent idea amiebutchko!  You can actually do that right now by collaborating with other authors here, and then inter-linking between Hubs.  For example, you could provide a right-justified text capsule with a short description of the counterpoint article with an anchor link.

It would really just be a matter of seeking out authors whom you respect, and reaching out to them.

3. amiebutchko profile image71

Oh!  That sounds like a great idea...  and a little easier than having a whole new feature.  Do you collaborate with other authors through fan mail, or just in the forums?  It would be interesting to see... I'll have to check around!!!!!  Thanks for the responses!

1. profile image0
        Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I prefer to direct my private correspondence with others on the site through the email feature that is built into the HP platform.  Just click the "Fan Mail" tab on a writer's profile page, then look for the "send [insert_name] an email" anchor link.

You just taught me something I never knew!  I had no idea you could e-mail other hubbers (still green!).  This is sure to come in useful for me.  When I looked on your profile to see what you were talking about regarding the "send an e-mail tab" your particular page didn't show the link.  Just thought I'd let you know.  I checked on other hubbers' and I saw it there, but for some reason, it didn't come up on yours.  I'm not sure if you set it that way.... ?  Just thought I'd pass along...

1. profile image0
            Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!  I had no idea ...

EDIT: Sure enough — I had forgotten all about that option in my email settings! (Whoops!)

To anyone who has tried to contact me and has not received a response (and who also happens to be reading this): A thousand times a thousand apologies!

Glad I wasn't being a budinski.  I am glad it helped to tell you..!  Wasn't sure if you turned it off purposely or something....

2. Writer Fox profile image32
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do answer most emails I receive from HubPages, but for what you want to do you might also consider writing a question about it.  (Is it better to teach your child abstinence or safe sex principles?)  If you get some good answers there, you could always link to it from your Hub.

Hmmm.  Good idea.  Never thought of that.  Thanks!  I'm still learning....

4. jellygator profile image89
      jellygatorposted 10 years ago

I'd be interested in writing a counter point and including a link to yours as a counter if it will justify my time to do this. (I have to be able to expect at least "some" earning potential or I don't write on a topic.)

Jellygator, thank you so much for the offer!  Maybe sometime in the future we could collaborate on an article!  For now, I was just theorizing that it would be a good idea.  I will definitely contact you if I think of a good topic once I get my footing here, and please do the same for me!  I think it could be pretty interesting!  Of course, we would both have to be passionate about our sides of whatever argument!

The current article I am working on - the abstinence one I mentioned above - is not a good one to do it on because ads have been disabled for that topic... so unfortunately, that's no earning potential...

2. jellygator profile image89
          jellygatorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We can still earn on topics that have ads disabled, as long as there is a good Amazon product related to it that will drive some sales. It wouldn't be a huge topic for me, but might be an interesting "test market." I get a little over 1k hits per day on my hubs, so it might even help you get some traffic as a newcomer to HP. (My traffic generally comes from web searches rather than followers.) I'll try a short hub on it and see.

Jellygator, I was thinking last night that you could help me since you are so established and have such a high score!  Thank you so much.  However, I actually just published my hub this morning.  You can take a look at it.  I might be afraid to edit it after it is already published though, because it seems whenever I edit my hubs the score tanks.  But let's see what you think....

1. jellygator profile image89

I will look at it this week. It will probably be Saturday before I have much chance to, but I'll expect to do something this week.

Jellygator, thanks so much.  I just don't know if I would be willing to add in an edit to this particular hub anymore, to link them this time.  Only because I am happy with how it did in the QAP, and as I said before, my scores always seem to go down when I make edits.  But if you still want to do a counterpoint of course, please go ahead.  I just didn't want you to do the work if it will bother you about my end not having a link!  Thanks so much again though for your kindness and interest in this.  I do appreciate your expertise and advice!

5. amiebutchko profile image71

I agree completely.  It is all in an objective spirit of debate and providing the whole picture.  I love the idea.

6. jellygator profile image89
      jellygatorposted 10 years ago

OK... it doesn't pay much and so if you don't want to edit, I will leave it alone. Just a note on edits while we're on the subject, though... I've found that making edits doesn't really harm overall performance at all. In fact, Google likes updated material, as long as you are adding value and not spammy stuff. However, traffic fluctations are huge, and the big G does a reset every so often that will temporarily lower your traffic or boost it. Also, they sometimes make algorithm changes. These two things cause a LOT of commentary! Now in my second year here, I've learned that well-written material will *always* bounce back, as long as I pay attention to how many people are searching for terms on Google, and how many search results those particular terms generate. I don't think HP is doing the apprenticeship program anymore, which was a big benefit for learning this stuff. If not, and if you'd like to learn more, feel free to contact me privately at Kathy.Bohon@gmail.com. (This is a spam account in case it gets scraped, but I'll provide you with my real one if you contact me. Just make sure to have "HUB PAGES NEW WRITER" or something in the subject line so I will see it!)

Jellygator, thank you so much.  I appreciate this info!  I have been struggling with edits: my score seems to drop up to 10 points after the simplest of edits; but that was maybe my problem - that they weren't edits that really added much value (and then they do go up again in most cases)?  Right now, because I am new, I am all about keeping my scores up because that's all I have to drive me on!!!!  But I would definitely love to learn more about Google.  I am going to reread your post again for sure and it goes without saying, I am going to become a student of your hubs!  I will take you up on contacting you soon, when I get a minute to take time out to learn a bit!  Thank you again for your guidance. I appreciate it!

1. jellygator profile image89

The general consensus I have heard regarding scoring is that if you're new, as long as you are above 50 or 55, you're doing well. It takes time for articles to get "seasoned." This seems to me to be true. For the last several months, my hubber score is 100 and I've had several hubs at 100, but they were in the 60s, 70s, or 80s for a LONG time! Also, although I get good traffic, I didn't start off well and there are tons of people who do a better job of making money than I do. I earn $2.50 - $3 per day from adshare revenue and only a buck or two a month from Amazon.  Wilderness and SimeyC are good at finding products that sell very well, and there are some people here who after several months have a thousand followers! I can only imagine what kind of traffic they get! I'm thrilled to help anyone, but I am for sure not the best example, either.

Jellygator, this is truly the most information I have got since I've been on here!  Thank you so much for your pearls of wisdom.  I will check out those writers and your hubs as well.  I do feel like since I've been here, things are starting to just go up on their own.  Page views... not sure yet how I'm doing there, but I do try to do key word search and I think I'm slowly learning....  Thank you again.  Great info and appreciated help!  My best and gratitude for your time and advice!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)