Does HubPages edit our work? No

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Dawn Denmar1 profile image69
    Dawn Denmar1posted 10 years ago

I have just reviewed a hub I posted a few days back which had been rejected (well was the subject of a substantial rewrite request which I was not prepared to do.....) by Demand Media for their Synonym account. I posted the piece as written for Demand to HubPages and when I checked it just now I saw that the piece I had written had been doctored in some way. Either the HubPages automated editor system did not copy/paste the text that I posted from my rejected Demand article or HubPages staff have been through the piece and edited to make it a little nonsensical.... Is this typical of work that is posted to HubPages? I do not believe the Demand Media CE that looked at my work had edited the piece in any way (and it was obvious the CE knew nothing about 20th century history) so the text I posted and research I did to that title was my own work.  Comment appreciated and if it is the case that HubPages editorial staff amend our work to make it nonsense then I will move my work elsewhere....

Thanks.  Dawn Denmar

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Think about your question.  Does HP trash your work so they cannot make anything from publishing it? 

No, HP does not edit your hub.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HubPages staff do not edit Hubs, ever.

If you copy and paste from a word processing program (e.g. Microsoft Word) directly into text capsules, you may find that hidden formatting codes get pasted in along with the text.  It's always best to copy the text into Notepad or Wordpad first before pasting into HubPages text capsules, to avoid that.

Other than that, the only thing I can think is that your text may have corrupted somewhat on saving.

3. Camille Harris profile image87
      Camille Harrisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dawn,

Sorry to hear your Hub isn't appearing the way you'd like it to.

As Wilderness, Cardisa, Marisa, and Calculus (thank you, all) have already stated, HubPages does NOT edit the work of its authors. If your Hub does not appear in the way you remember it, it could be that one of your text capsules is hidden. As my crudely modified image below shows, you have the option to hide capsules by checking the "Don't display this capsule:" checkbox. Perhaps one of the capsules in your Hub was hidden by accident?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8751843_f248.jpg

Hope this helps!

2. Dawn Denmar1 profile image69

Well I would beg to differ. I believe I have the text of the article posted to Demand Media on the hard drive of my computer..... I may be wrong but I do tend to copy and paste into Word prior to carrying out most activity on the net.

I should perhaps qualify my original post to say the Demand CE obviously had no idea about the academic discipline of history and how to conduct historical research. The piece I refer to has just been amended to reflect what I wish it to say and any comment from HubPages staff as to whether they do or not edit our work to make it nonsense or whether if work is copy pasted from such a "well respected" site as Demand Media it is given some form of add on HP treatment would be appreciated.

As I said I will remove my work from this site if it turns out to be the case that it is edited/doctored by staff when submitted in good faith by a writer.
    Thanks for your response wilderness....

1. Cardisa profile image86
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As stated above. HP does not edit/amend hubbers' hubs. It surprises me that you would even ask this question after 20 months months being here. Why don;t you just ask staff directly?

2. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Demand Studios is the most deplorable writing  site on the internet. My first  thought would be that Demand doctored your work so you couldn't use it.
      On the other hand I've read your post several times and the second paragraph just makes no sense at all.
      Just my personal opinion.

1. Cardisa profile image86
        Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I doubt she is going to believe that Demand Studios had anything to do with this. She seemed more inclined to believe the worst of HP. smile

2. Dawn Denmar1 profile image69
        Dawn Denmar1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

oh.... I am a touch typist.... used to be an executive PA perhaps I don't think enough about what I post.
        Demand is pretty dire....
        What I was trying to say is that the Demand editors on their Culture section which is mainly history type pieces for a site called Synonym and aimed at young people aged between 14 and about 24 don't know anything about the study of history. This is based on a number of rewrite requests I have had, plus rejects. I am sure they are great at editing, well to the Demand requirements, however they know nothing of history nor of the type of work that might be likely to interest or spark debate in youngsters. That is my two cents. And sorry if my original post seemed nonsensical

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 10 years ago

HubPages doesn't edit any submitted work for the the simple reason that they don't have the resources for such an undertaking.  The only thing they do is run articles through QAP (quality assessment process), the details of which are here http://hubpages.com/faq/ Even though QAP is done with human raters, all they do is rate; they don't have the power to edit.

A staff member will probably check in tomorrow and reassure you that no one can edit any article except for the author of that article.

In the meantime, you're probably going to get some muddled responses from other users here because they don't know what Demand Studios or a CE is, lol.  Most HubPages users are not Demand Studios contractors, so that information irrelevant and will only confuse the issue.

If the article you submitted to HubPages looks different from its original form, it's most likely because you copied and pasted it wrong, or because there is some MS Word formatting messing up.  Try copying the original into NotePad to remove MS Word formatting, and then copy it into the HP editor.

4. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 10 years ago

I'm wondering if perhaps the Demand CE made changes which you didn't happen to notice until you published the piece here on HP. Just a guess. I haven't written for Demand in several years, but back when I did, the CEs were notorious for making nonsensical changes that ruined the original articles, or at least made them inaccurate. Also, as you stated, the CE was not familiar with the subject, so if he/she made changes it would make sense that the changes might not be accurate.

Is there any way you can compare your original piece to the once that you received back for a rewrite from the Demand CE?

5. Dawn Denmar1 profile image69

Thank you to everybody that has responded and I guess I have to assume the Demand CE made changes to the piece which I did not notice when I copy pasted the text of the rewrite request to HubPages.

I cannot go back and check now as I resubmitted the work as a rewrite with a note to the original editor that I had submitted the works to another site. So these pieces are showing as rejects.

Looking at the text that I copy pasted to here, the CE made amendments or deletions that took some text out and I did not proof the text when I copy pasted as I assumed it was just as I had written it. When I looked at it the other day I found a big chunk referring to people involved had been omitted and my immediate reaction was that HubPages had edited it out.

I think I have to go with fact that Demand edits had taken the text out and taken substance and meaning from the piece.

So thanks for everything that has been said. I was not aware we could write direct to staff here, I thought we had to post via the forums? I did look for a helpdesk contact when I wanted to post my original query but seemed to be pointed to the forum as the best place to get advice or assistance.

smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)