Do you have an unfeatured hub? Place the link here.....

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image86
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

If you have an unfeatured hub and you know not why, place the link here and we will try to help you.

Calling in the troupes to help hubbers who need help getting their hubs featured.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very good idea!

Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was just thinking of you. smile I was going to call out some people to help but didn't want to leave anyone out...lol

2. Everyday Miracles profile image85
      Everyday Miraclesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'll help! Although I've had a hub unfeatured for reasons I didn't understand in the past. It was unfeatured for quality and I think it probably had something to do with being short because it was a movie review. Learned that lesson the hard way haha

Of course! Any help is welcome smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Can I post my former armadillo hub link? big_smile

You keep that armadillo away from this forum, you hear? big_smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

lol lol lol

OK. What about a Carrot? It was a former hub that was featured and given a score of 73.  I'm serious. Hubbers could point to it and say, "How can this piece of cr@p get featured, but mine can't?" lol

If you want me to post the link, I'll disable the ads first. big_smile

Let's wait for someone to post a non-featured hub and we can use yours as reference wink

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

I guarantee you it will cause a veritable riot. Let me know. big_smile

4. snakeslane profile image79
      snakeslaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OK Cardisa, do your magic, a free critique would be much appreciated: http://snakeslane.hubpages.com//hub/Tha … ndy-Warhol

1. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Mind if I offer some tips?

First of all, fix your title. You want to use capitalization in your title. You should be able to get the hub tool to do this automatically for you (the blue box at the top right when you edit, saying "style tip." Still, I'd change the title up a bit to be more attractive to potential visitors.

Maybe: How to Color a Black and White Photograph I could be wrong but I'd think more people would search for "color a black and white photograph" instead of "paint" a black and white photograph, and the "how to" makes your title a bit more precise for your readers.

I'll let somebody pick up anything else they're seeing. The title would appear to be the most likely problem you're dealing with.

Is this unfeatured for quality or for engagement?

1. snakeslane profile image79

engagement, thanks everyday!

When mine aren't getting traffic (when they're in the right season to get traffic), the very first thing I do is to tweak the title. It's amazing the difference that can make alone. (:

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree that the title is the biggest issue.

When creating your title, always ask yourself, "what would someone type into Google if they were looking for information on this topic"?

How many people would type in "painting a black and white photo"?  They'd be more likely to type in "how to paint a black and white photo" - but I'm not sure if they would even do that.  If they did, they'd get results about how to colorise a photo - which is NOT what your Hub is about.  Your Hub is about "how to create a painting from a photo".  If I try typing that into Google, it auto-completes, which means that phrase is searched for. 

Melissa (who is a rater) posted elsewhere that poor layout is a big factor in rating.  So I would take a look at that bottom section and see if you can get rid of the big white spaces. Perhaps make both those final pictures full-size and put them below the text.

2. Cardisa profile image86

Hey there Snakeslane.

(1) Can you start the hub with an intro to what you are doing? It took me a while to get  the idea...lol
        For example:-
        "Painting a black and white photo is simply adding color and texture of different styles to a black and white photograph. The concept entails uploading an old photograph to your computer and adjusting it with photoshop or other photo editing software."

(2) You need to adjust your title from "Painting a black and white photograph" to "Painting A Black And White Photograph"

(3) I know layout is not as important but some raters may beg to differ. There is a bit of white space near to the end of your hub where the two last photos are.

Can you make the third photo full?Align the fourth photo right of the capsule "Painting a photo is fun...", make the last photo full and align the poll right (with color) of the capsule "Special Effects using GIMP"?

Not finding keywords for your hub based on your title. What features in photoshop are you using? Maybe that's where your keywords should come from. Something like "How To Use XYZ In Photoshop To Color Black And White Photos"

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
        LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Like Everyday Miracles said, first work on the title and may I suggest adding the words "How to....."
        Second; try to include step by steps details on how you did each action/edit and talk more about the results.

1. snakeslane profile image79

Thanks Luis, good information.

5. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What a kind and helpful offer, Cardisa! This is such a nice thing to do for other Hubbers. smile

Aww, I never thought of it that way. It's just that some people are getting upset that their hubs are not getting featured or published so I though a few of us could help out. No biggy, but thanks Christy smile

2. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Very nice act of kindness. smile

Naw, just trying to keep this place positive. smile

3. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 10 years ago

There are scores of great hubs on HP that just never “got legs” in the search engines, Pinterest etc.  Or maybe they once had legs but lost them due to Google shenanigans.  It happens.  It’s disappointing, but that’s the way the game goes.  There was a time when my new hubs got picked up by the search engines, and started getting decent traffic within a couple weeks.  Those days are gone.  I rarely bother to publish anymore, because they just sit unseen. 

IMO oodles of great hubs are unfeatured due to low traffic, and the probability that the traffic issue to those hubs will change any time soon is relatively low.  I used to try tweaking the titles, or tweaking the content, but I don’t bother any more.  I don’t think it’s the best use of my time.  I unpublish, but do not delete.  Maybe later, or much much later, things will change with the search gods, and I will republish. 

I’ve never had a hub unfeatured for quality.  And I haven’t had any unfeatured hubs for poor traffic in ages, because I face the music and willingly unpublish them so they don’t drag down my domain.  In fact, I’ve only had a couple unfeatured ever.  My personal standard for poor traffic and unpublishing is apparently much stricter than HP standards.  I’ve unpublished over 85 hubs.  I usually do so in batches, and every time, I get at least a small increase in traffic afterwards. 

Hubs unfeatured for quality are of course a whole different matter.  Sometimes it means they are crappy hubs, and sometimes it’s basically a good, well written hub, that has an issue that has been identified as something that has dragged down hubs in the past, or something that is thought to get hubs dropped from searches.  These are the ones to that may warrant time in trying to make improvements. 

I’m just grateful that I still have a little traffic, and still earn a little every month.

I don't know about that. I have several hubs that don't get much traffic at all most of the time but which are still featured in spite of a lack of traffic to them. As far as I understand it, "lack of engagement" doesn't refer to no visits to the hubs, it refers to the bounce rate. How often does someone find your hub and instantly hit the "back" button? That seems to be what's actually being measured here. I have a good couple of hands full of hubs that don't get traffic at all right now (most of them are seasonal and some are just old and cloddy) but they're still featured in spite of lack of traffic.

I think that if Hubpages meant "traffic," that's what they'd say. It seems that it's actual engagement that's being measured, which means that the hubs probably don't have enough high-quality information above the fold for people to stay on the site. It's easy to waste that first capsule, but it needs to be compelling, whether it's an image or text.

My hubs currently begin to gain traffic within hours of publication, not weeks, so I must be doing /something/ right. When they're topical, it doesn't even have to take a full day. But my hubs are almost entirely seasonal right now, so that accounts for a good deal of what's drawing in the large amounts of quick Search Engine traffic.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Nope.   If you're willing to search way back in the forums when the system was introduced, you'll find HubPages staff explaining that it is only traffic that's measured.   The intention is to add more sophisticated measures in future, which is why they've chosen that name.  There was a lot of debate at the time about how the name is misleading, believe me!

They did say that they had made special arrangements for seasonal Hubs, because they recognise they're a special case.  How they've achieved that I have no idea!

I'm not tracking my hubs daily, so they must all be getting traffic somewhere or another. Most of mine that have been unfeatured have been (rightly) unfeatured for quality. That was from way back when I first joined Hubpages and those hubs aren't even good enough to fix lol

2. Writer Fox profile image32
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Former employee Simone Smith posted on the Forum once that it only takes a few visits a month from search engines for a Hub to remain featured.

On October 18, 2013, the staff decided to "feature more Hubs from active Hubbers" and that bumped 6,100 Hubs from unfeatured to featured.

"Bounce rate" on Google analytics just means that when someone visited your Hub, they didn't go to another page on HP.  It's not a bad thing for you, only the owners of the site.  But HP is not a single topic website and if the links under 'Discover More Hubs' don't impress a visitor, they leave because there's no clear navigation on non-EC Hubs to find other content in the same Topic.

1. brakel2 profile image73
          brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Writer Fox - You must keep notes on the important changes on the site, as you always quote them. I think that is a great idea. Sorry if I am a little off topic here. I just think it is a good idea for everyone.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

I suggest you republish some of those unpublished Hubs and see what happens.  I unpublished my unFeatured Hubs, thinking I'd use them elsewhere.  Eventually I was left with a bunch which I couldn't find a home for, so I republished them.   

They've all stayed Featured since.

HubPages did continue to tweak the traffic threshold for a long time after it was introduced.  I get the feeling it's a lot lower than it used to be.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

My profile score has dropped 2 points since I posted in this thread.

Paradigmsearch has been bad again.

Withdraws offer to post Carrot Link.

Retreats to continue work on new hub.

5. snakeslane profile image79
    snakeslaneposted 10 years ago

Oh gosh thanks, all good feedback smile

6. snakeslane profile image79

Thanks Marisa!

7. Shanaaya profile image60
    Shanaayaposted 10 years ago

http://shanaaya.hubpages.com/hub/Best-P … -Mauritius

here is my link Cardisa.. am sure you can help.. smile

Hi Shanaaya, can you place the hub on your profile page featured section please. I am unable to follow the link smile

1. Shanaaya profile image60
        Shanaayaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

sorry Cardisa.. the fact is i can't even publish the Hub to be able to sort it in the featured section...

So you need to send me the file. Just email me a word file with the contents and I make notes and send it back to you smile cardisamltd@gmail.com

8. snakeslane profile image79

Ya know guys, this is really really funny, my Hub is featured already! And I only made a couple of minor changes (which were suggested here, and I thank you for that). But I was planning on doing a lot more (and of course I still can). Thank you so much!
    Not only that but it's front page in photo galleries...Yay!

9. Shanaaya profile image60
    Shanaayaposted 10 years ago

http://shanaaya.hubpages.com/hub/My-dreams-as-it-unfold

Cardisa, glad you have been able to help about so many unfeatured hubs.. happy if you could help with mine smile

Hi Shanaya, I am unable to view the hub. Is it published? If it is published can you place it in the spotlight section of your profile please?
      If the hubs isn't published, email me the word file with the contents at cardisamltd@gmail.com

2. Cardisa profile image86

Shanaaya, I sent you an email, please check. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)