Curious About How Everyone Manages Their Time on Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. JessBraz profile image91
    JessBrazposted 10 years ago

Hello everyone!
    Quick Introduction: I'm Jessica, from Ontario.. been a member of Hubpages for three years (though due to lack of time, writer's block, frustration, procrastination and if I'm completely honest with myself; laziness. sad I haven't always been very active on Hubpages.. My dedication seems to ebb and flow a lot. I'm working on that. lol)

My question is how does everyone manage their time on Hubpages?
    The current Hub Pot challenge has been pushing me to finally try and establish a regular writing routine on Hubpages. I've pusblished four hubs in the past three weeks or so, which is the most I've ever done in one shot like that. I've read a lot in these forums that Google "likes" accounts that have a regular activity and doesn't sit stagnant for weeks at a time, so I'm trying to work on managing my time a little better.

I read once, in these forums, I do believe (sorry, can't recall the actual thread or user who posted it!) that a trick someone once had was to start several hubs at once and have a back log of hubs ready to be posted so they always had something they could publish, even when life gets in the way and they couldn't find the time to write new ones. I loved that idea, and I'm trying to accomplish that now. I'm attempting to compile a few hubs that I can then publish once a week or so, in hopes that I will be able to have a constant stream of hubs to publish. It's a bit of a challenge though.

I was curious if anyone on here has any tips, ideas, suggestions. Or maybe we can share with each other our processes for dedicating time to Hubpages. I have a rather physically demanding job, and I find at the end of the work day I am just too exhausted to do anything, let alone sit at the computer for a few hours to write.

How do you make time for Hubpages? (I'm thinking I am going to try and set aside one of my days off, early in the morning each week as my "writing mornings") ... Anyone else have any writing routines like this? How does everyone find the time to maintain their accounts and keep posting on a regular basis?

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to learn about everyone's routine. Hopefully it'll inspire me to establish a better writing routine for myself.

smile

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Since I write participate at other sites, write novels, have a full-time job, housework, and on and on, I limit my time on HP. I usually try to read any new hubs of people I follow and scan the questions and forums everyday and leave answers/comments to any that catch my interest. During the week, I limit myself to an hour or maybe two catching up here and I write one hub every Saturday. I'd like to be more active, but if I was I'd never get anything else done.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

People often make the mistake of thinking there's some kind of duty to read other Hubbers' Hubs, and they're failing the community somehow if they don't.

The fact is, if we all stopped reading each other's Hubs, it would make hardly any difference to our earnings.  By far the bulk of our income comes from external visitors.  By all means, network if you have the time - but do it for enjoyment and relaxation, and to chat to friends - not as part of your HubPages "job".

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

Interesting, I am getting a warning that no one has posted on this forum thread for over two months, even though it looks like it was only posted less than 30 minutes ago.

I have to say that I vary a lot.  When I was doing the 30 hubs in 30 days and the 100  hubs in 30 days challenges, I was able to keep at it and simply write hubs and avoid the distractions for the most part.  Right now, I have been distracted a lot (based on things similar to your list), mostly laziness and inattentiveness. 

This contest is motivating me to focus on the hubs instead of Facebook, Pinterest and the forums (for the most part).

I do have to say that you mentioned not having a few hours to work on hubs.  You don't need a few hours.  Work on it a few minutes at a time - set up the organization, find or take pictures, write a capsule at a time, and by the end of the week you will be able to have a hub finished and ready to publish.

I had heard about saving hubs, and I think that if you were a prolific writer that wanted to avoid publishing several hubs in one day, it would make sense to "save" them and publish another one another day, especially if you were expecting a period of time when you wouldn't have time to write a hub.  But for most people, it makes more sense to publish hubs when they are ready.  Since the age of a hub matters, and regular publishing is good, waiting to publish doesn't make sense to me.

JessBrazposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Huh. That warning is weird. lol. I did only post this thread within the past 30 minutes or so.. Must be some weird glitch?

I like your point about only saving hubs if you're a prolific writer... which I definitely am not. Maybe I'll try and curb my enthusiasm a wee bit on that front and stick to one at a time. I have found that it is becoming a little bit overwhelming trying to work that angle. If I overwhelm myself, I suppose I'll just fall back into my old habit of walking away from HP for a while. It's a tricky thing this Hubpages. lol.

Your advice about writing it a piece at a time is something I'm finding will probably work best for me. I started a hub I am especially excited about last night. I have lots of original photo's and a couple of video's that I took myself.. It's about a destination I've been to several time over the past couple of years and I'm utterly in love with (Algonquin Provincial Park).. I worked on it for maybe an hour last night after work. I added some of my photo's, wrote the descriptions for them, as well as the video, and worked on the introduction... Then I got really sleepy and shut it down for the night. lol. (I'm an 80 year old woman trapped in a 29 year old's body. lol. I have a hard time staying up past 9 pm some nights.) I'm well rested and have the day off today, so I'm going to work on another section this afternoon and hopefully bit by bit I'll have it done by this weekend. Now, if only I can get myself out of the forums and actually write. Isn't that what they say about writer's? They write because they have to, but will find any reason not to write? (Pretty sure I've heard that somewhere before)

Thanks for the tips! Your input is much appreciated!

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Another thing to remember with writing is that the more you do it, the faster and more prolific you become in a very short time.  I would block out time for it each day, much like you do for brushing your teeth, doing housework etc.  Say 15 minutes per day or even 30.  Make it a habit that you develop and stick with it.  Even if you aren't writing a full hub in that short of a time - write outlines, or start one and then the next day use your 30 minutes to finish it up etc.

The key to writing is doing it - daily.  I only publish a hub or two a month, but I write for a living, so by the time I finish my work for the week, I'm kind of pooped of the whole writing thing lol.  The more you do it though, the better and faster it flows. smile

Writing advice from a professional writer... So cool. smile
      Do it daily. That I can handle. My first goal is to set aside 20 minutes to start with each day.. I want to write just one paragraph each time in a hub to start.. Doesn't have to be have it will look when it's done, but the skeleton of the paragraph at least. Then I'll walk away and plug away the next day. Baby steps. smile
      They say it takes 28 days to develop (or  break?) a habit. 20 minutes a day for 28 days! I think I can handle this.

Thanks for the advice! smile

Edit: Doesn't have to be HOW it will ook when it's done... arggggg.

LOOK... eeessshh. Okay. I'm done. Time to walk away from the computer for now. lol.

4. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I'm terrible with time management because I'm spread too thin, wearing too many hats.  However, I'm used to working under pressure and usually get things done. But there's also a price to pay. For example, I got a hub done for the challenge but I went to bed 3 days this week between 2am and 3am. Crazy. I'm also rushing and always tired.
    Sorry, my advice is to carve out specific amounts of time to write. Set a timer, stop at the allotted time to do something else.
    One thing that works for me regarding ideas is using my Blackberry to jot down an idea for a hub or poem. I've actually written my last three poems on my Blackberry and sent the doc to myself.

Edit: I guess the sleep deprivation was worth it; just learned that the hub made the top ten in the challenge. Yaaaay, but I'm soooo tired right now. Will manage time better for the next hub.

Congratulations!! That's awesome! We're in similar boats. lol. I stayed up way later than I should have a few days ago writing a hub that made it into the top ten hub pot challenge... I was so excited, but I'm still trying to catch up on my sleep!

Cheers to you for your success!! Great job! smilesmilesmile

1. janshares profile image92
        jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congrats to you, too, JessBraz. We can celebrate AND commiserate. Hang in there and good luck. Thank you for the good cheers. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)