Some dumb Physics questions

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (49 posts)
  1. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 10 years ago

Please, someone who knows more about physics than me, will you help me with a few "dumb" questions?

The reason I say they're dumb is because I should be able to grasp it, but can't.

Here's the first one:

Are inertial mass (as in p=mv where p is momentum) and "rest mass" the same thing? I know they're somehow "different", but I'm not sure how. I can see how rest mass is equivilant to energy. But I don't understand inertial mass.

Light has energy and momentum, so has inertial mass. (Right? or is that wrong?)

But light doesn't have rest mass.

Is inertial mass just another way to say "moving energy", while rest mass is a way of saying "still energy"?

I hope I'm making some kind of sense.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image55
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Rest mass is just mass at rest in a particular reference frame. Inertial mass is mass that is being accelerated by a force that is not accelerated by gravity.

Yes, they are both particles, so they will exhibit energy and momentum.

Light is never at rest, it always travels at 'c'.

Those terms are not used because the cause confusion.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How does light change direction 180 degrees without curving and without stopping at the point of reflection?

For the most part, light follows Fermat's Principles. Although, at the quantum level, photons can be absorbed and emitted to follow various paths, depending on the surface.

And the next question is once the photon is absorbed into the silver on a mirror, how does it "know" what exact angle to leave it at?

1. profile image0
              Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Are you testing him? I hope you are only using nongoogleable questions. (I want full credit for that word.)

Somewhat.  Someone else (or the same person) said that a while back, but I always understood that photos DO have a rest mass, and that they can be at rest. 

Time marches on, though, learning advances and I certainly have not kept up the studies in physics.  Always open to learn new things.

Impossible, photons are never at rest. The instant they are emitted, they travel at c and never stop traveling at that speed until they hit something and are absorbed.

If they have any mass at all, it is the derivative in which the energy of the photon would have to be transformed into mass.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image55

I'm not sure if photons actually "know"anything. But, to answer your question, they take the path of least time which also happens to be the least distance path. When reflecting on a very smooth surface, the least time path is where the angle of incident (incoming light) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing light).

If point A is the source of light and point B is the point somewhere beyond the angle of reflection, we set the derivative of L with respect to x = zero. Here we get the pathlength from A to B:

L = 1/2 sq/rt. a^2+x^2 + sq.rt. b^2+(d-x)^2

a is the distance from mirror surface to A
              b is the distance from mirror surface to B
              x is the distance from A to point of reflection along mirror surface
              d-x is the distance from B to point of reflection along mirror surface

If we follow through we get:

dL/dx=1/2 2/xsq.rt.a^2+x^2 + 1/2 2(d-x)(-1)/sq.rt.b^2+(d-x)^2 =0

d is the distance from A to B along surface of mirror

This reduces to:

x/sq.rt.a^2+x^2 = (d-x)/sq.rt.b^2+(d-x)^2

which is:

sin0i = sin0r

which further reduces to 0i=0r

Law of Reflection

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
                MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's crystal clear. Thank you ED.

My pleasure. smile

Would you believe me if I said that reading that was like reading a Chinese manuscript using a Russian dictionary while underwater...and drunk...and sleep deprived...and juggling...while carrying on a simultaneous conversation with Richard Simmons by text?

I don't do hard sciences. The only reason I have achieved a high-school level understanding is because I have to teach my kids.

2. janesix profile image60
                  janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OMG. I hope I'm NEVER that smart:) That looks totally painful.

I was pretty sure he caught the sarcasm. He knows I'm intellectually limited.

I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this before, but you too could easily understand that stuff if you wanted. It just takes the same methodical process to get there as anything else. You just start with the basics and work your way up. No problem. smile

3. EncephaloiDead profile image55

One thing to remember about physics is that most of it is counter-intuitive and is difficult to grasp unless one let's go of their "intuitive" nature.

An example of this is the earth itself, it appears flat from our perspective, yet counter-intuitively, it is a sphere.

"Counterintuitive means contrary to what seems intuitively right or correct. A counterintuitive proposition is one that does not seem likely to be true when assessed using intuition, common sense, or gut feelings."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterintuitive

2. wilderness profile image94

No, the law of reflection merely says that the angle of incidence = angle of reflection.  I'm asking why, as you said that the photon was absorbed.  After being absorbed I cannot see any reason it cannot be emitted in any direction.

In addition, imagine a half sphere, radius B center at point of reflection.  Your math works for every point on that sphere, does it not?  Plus sinOi (whatever angle that represents, you didn't say) - sinOr does NOT mean that angle oi=or.  There are two angles with the same sine function value.  Or, looked at another way, the same angle in one plane and an infinite number in another plane in the 3D universe.

Yeah, same thing as with ED, except this time the manuscript is in Yiddish and I'm talking to that kid that played Urkel.

big_smile

So, you didn't want to see the math and find out why it is a law? Did I waste my time showing you that?

I just showed you that.

Sorry, but I don't what you're talking about.

Did you understand the comment with the sphere?  There are an infinite number of possibilities, each of the same length, to various B's.  What makes one more likely as the same math works for all?

And ED, I'm not one of your religious basketballs.  You want to discuss this, I'm game; you want a punching bag, I'm outta here.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

1. profile image0

I've always said he was a retired science teacher in GB. Maybe someday he will reveal himself.

Lol. Maybe. I know he's got a brain.

Way off base. smile

2. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Inertial mass is determined by momentum not gravity. It results from force not gravity (Newton's Second Law).

You can think of it as resistance to acceleration.

Thank you. It's still hard for me to grasp though. There's "gravitational" mass, and "relativistic" mass too. It's just hard for me to decipher what each thing means, whether they are ultimately the same thing in some way (looked at in different perspective, or under certain conditions).

1. profile image0

You're welcome. These are tough concepts.

I try to think of gravitational mass as more/less like weight and inertial mass as trying to move that weight. Not only do you have to move X number of pounds, but you've got to get it moving.

2. profile image0

Maybe you are a multi-dimensional learner. Maybe using your eyes and ears at the same time would be helpful. Please don't think I presume to know any of this stuff... I just googled for you. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1HwEh5PCIw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePRdDzVdLV8

Thanks Beth. I think I probably am. I will check out your links later tonight. I did watch a couple last night on the Higgs, as it's related to mass, and that was pretty cool.

3. EncephaloiDead profile image55

Relativistic mass is when an object is moving a near light speeds. In order for any object to move at those speeds, it takes a huge amount of energy to accelerate it, this energy is actually added to the mass of the object making it appear "heavier or larger". However, when the object slows down, the energy to accelerate it is no longer needed and the object reverts back to its original mass state.

With relativity, it works both ways from both reference frames.

For example, if you were in a ship moving towards the sun at very near light speeds, the sun would take on a lot of relativistic mass. If that were the case in reality, the sun would have so much mass it would turn into a black hole.

So, would that be like what takes place in a particle accelerator> Or do they not go quite that fast? I think they accelerate the particles to like 99.9999 percent the speed of light?

Exactly! However, with accelerators, the energy used to accelerate it is not part of the mass, but instead is coming from the accelerator itself.

janesixposted 10 years ago

The term “pure energy” is a mix of poetry, shorthand and garbage.   Since photons have no mass, they have no mass-energy, and that means their energy is “purely motion-energy”.  But that does not mean the same thing, either in physics or intuitively to the non-expert, as saying photons are “pure energy”.   Photons are particles just as electrons are particles; they both are ripples in a corresponding field, and they both have energy.  The electron and positron that annihilated had energy too — the same amount of energy as the photons to which they annihilate, in fact, since energy is conserved (i.e. the total amount does not change during the annihilation process.) " Matt Strassler

"Today, if one wants to talk about the world in the context of our modern viewpoint, one can speak first and foremost of the “fields and their particles.” It is the fields that are the basic ingredients of the world, in today’s widely dominant paradigm.  We view fields as more fundamental than particles because you can’t have an elementary particle without a field, but you can have a field without any particles. [I still owe you a proper article about fields and particles; it's high on the list of needed contributions to this website.]  However, it happens that every known field has a known particle, except possibly the Higgs field (whose particle is not yet certain to exist, though [as of the time of writing, spring 2012] there are significant experimental hints.)

What do “fields and particles” have to do with “matter and energy”? Not much. Some fields and particles are what you would call “matter”, but which ones are matter, and which ones aren’t, depends on which definition of “matter” you are using.  Meanwhile, all fields and particles can have energy; but none of them are energy." Matt Strassler

A couple more questions:

Is a field a "thing", a physical structure?
    Is energy a physical thing?
    Are particles created by interactions between fields and energy?

I have read different things, such as that fields are created by the particles, not the other way around. Or that fields are not real, just mathematical structures that explain the properties of particles and energy.

EDIT:  I'm trying to get at, what are the real, constituent parts, at the lowest level, that don't depend on other things to exist. What can exist, alone, without having to have some other "property" to be formed.

Of course, it is, it has to be.

Absolutely.

Since fields are generated by energy, that would be a bit of a misnomer as the energy itself can create particles.

Fields have to be real. The entire universe is one giant gravitational field, for example.

So the basic building block of the universe, that doesn't depend on anything else, is energy? That's what I'm trying to go get at here.

It's the only thing that can exist by itself, without anything.

So, everything else, particles, fields, spin, mass, momentum, are formed by energy doing something(maybe vibrating in different ways or something?)

Am I getting close?

1. profile image0

That's what String Theory suggests.

We have these tiny "strings" of stuff and those strings of stuff are vibrating.

The result of the vibrating stuff is the universe (or multiverses) in which we live.

I've heard of string theory, but haven't actually read anything about it. Maybe I'll check it out though. But not now, as I am having trouble just with basic concepts. Thank you for answering:)

Think about just shortly after the Big Bang, the universe was nothing but an opaque ocean of electromagnetic radiation and all things formed from that.

"Electromagnetic radiation

a kind of radiation including visible light, radio waves, gamma rays, and X-rays, in which electric and magnetic fields vary simultaneously."

So, an energetic field.

?

Light and it's field, basically, are the basic "thing"?

Energy is the power or force, what moves things around, and the field forms the "shape" And everything else comes from from that.

Slowly, slowly, I may at some point get it;)

Here's a picture of how the electromagnetic wave travels. The electric wave travels orthogonal to the magnetic wave. The wavelength is determined by the amount of energy in the wave. A shorter wavelength has higher energy than a longer wavelength. Hence, very short wavelengths will be gamma rays and x-rays while much longer ones will include the visible light spectrum, radio waves, etc.

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/RadiationSafety/Graphics/elec_mag_field.gif

That is awesome. Thank you.

A good visual model, it really helps.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)