Russia in the Crimea

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. JKenny profile image90
    JKennyposted 10 years ago

Apparently, Russia has demanded the surrender of Ukrainian forces in the Crimea by 03:00 GMT. If they don't comply, then there will be an all out assault. Will this conflict escalate into something bigger?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26424738

1. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This needs a political solution. It is crazy for them to fight a principle so vastly outnumbered.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image59
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

Don't even want to think about this.  POTUS didn't have time to attend NSA meeting concerning this.

3. JKenny profile image90
    JKennyposted 10 years ago

Well, apparently the US State Dept. are preparing to impose sanctions on Russia. At present there is no clear indication of what the sanctions are, but I don't think somebody like Vladimir Putin will be deterred regardless of what the West do.

This is none of our business and should be brought before the UN Security Council before any actions of sanctions should be taken. I guess McCain is going to put on his angry little man tantrum again.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I hope Russia backs off.  Because otherwise we have a Western block/Russia conflict that could get very bad.

1. JKenny profile image90
      JKennyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I hope so too, because this could really be just the beginning. It's not the same as previously when Putin invaded Chechnya and South Ossetia. Ukraine is a large fully independent democratic country that borders the EU. It seems clear that Putin is determined to establish a Russian presence in Eastern Ukraine. But will he stop there?

They say history always repeats itself, and this has echos of Hitler's policy of reunifying German speaking peoples.

5. psycheskinner profile image84

I think Putin sees it as being the same.  But from the US point of view this is not the case.  Having armed forced of thousands just meters apart is pretty damned scary.  Even if neither intends to start the fight--it only take one freak event or misfire.

6. psycheskinner profile image84

That is the same position the US took when Germany invaded the Sudetenland.  Taking it a little more seriously might have saved us from going through WW2.

This not the same thing and it is too early to tell what is really happening. Maybe we can throw some WMD's in there to give it some legs. We are not the worlds police and we should keep to our own business.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A larger country seizes adjoining territory where people speak their language but belong to a different multi-ethnic sovereign state. The larger country was recently had it's historic empire fall apart and desires to regain some of that authority and territory.  Other than that empire being USSR rather than Austro-Hungary what are the big differences?

Whatever parallels you wish to draw does not give us the right or duty to interfere. This must be worked out in a political and democratic way for it to have any longevity. We are not in the position to dictate to others how they should work out their differences. The President in their country was dully elected and they should have the opportunity to elect someone different to replace him when the time comes. If we turn it into a military based operation the whole process stops.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
            psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So you think the US was right to leave Hitler to commit genocide up until Pearl Harbor? I don't.  I don't think any nation should support nations that invade other nations--and ignoring the issue and continuing trade is support.

I think the prevention of large scale human suffering and the support of international law are two very good reason to take an interest in the problems of other nations. The way the unrest could directly affect one's own nation is also a reason.

Who said anything about supporting it? What I said is to let them figure it out for themselves. If the UN and the rest of Europe who also (as you said) ignored the genocide want to do something about it then lets get to it. As I understand Kerry is already enlisting support from other countries to lend a hand in censuring Russia with embargos as well as sanctions. But commit US troops to a very unsettling affair is entirely premature.

7. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

If we can overthrow an elected president in Ukraine so can Russia (help the majority). So far people from Crimea are pro-Russian.

8. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 10 years ago

Dont believe the CNN propaganda ., . if you want to see the other side of the story, including proof that CNN deliberately misleads you, watch this  . . .
    www.rt.com

If you want real insight into what mainstream media does with the news read Bernnie Goldberg's book "Bias" It is an eye opening look into how and what is reported.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crises. The great point is to bring them the real facts." Abraham Lincoln

1. tirelesstraveler profile image59
        tirelesstravelerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are so correct.  Give the people the correct information and they will often make a good decision. It just takes a lot more digging these days to get the correct information. 
        History has a way of repeating itself.  Cremia is a perfect example. I feel like I am living the 60;s all over again

9. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 10 years ago

CNN = pro obama garbage.

10. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 10 years ago

Communication in the Crimean region is being cut off and the people may soon only be permitted to hear from Russia unless Putin is stopped. Pro Russia agents are posing as Ukrainians to promote support for him and he is systematically going forward even if his tactics have to be reordered along the way.

Watching someone say, "I/we are not doing 'such and such'" while they are determindly continuing to do it is always stunning because that particular kind of bully behavior is well thought-out, premeditated, and accomplished through any demoralizing means required to meet the goal.  Sadly, it is usually very effective. 

Thankfully, our news media has its feet to the fire about truth and can only go so far with manipulation because some news companies in other countries are looking for and reporting facts. Ukranians know what is at stake for them in this battle for truth.  Does the rest of the world and what each country's response will be are huge questions waiting to be answered. 

Hopefully, diplomacy will win the day, but when dealing with a bully, push comes to shove too often.

11. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 10 years ago

It must sting a little for the president to get a big I told you so from Sarah.
    http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhwQfrvCcAA2_l1.jpg:medium

12. GA Anderson profile image87
    GA Andersonposted 10 years ago

It looks like there is very little Pres. Obama can do to stop Putin in Crimea - after the fact. As it would be for any President, I think.

It is an obvious forced annexation of an area he covets.

And calls for sanctions to "punish" him until he reconsiders are just political blustering. It seems that Europe's dependance on Russian-supplied energy forestalls any serious EU sanctions.

So, what to do? In this instance I agree with Pres. Obama's declaration that Putin's actions will not be without "costs." (if he follows through) The U.S. should treat Russia as the rogue state it is.

This supposed "reset of U.S./Russia relations proclaimed by the Obama administration looks like just so much blather now.

It also looks like Mitt Romney was right in the debate too...
    "... Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney called Russia "without question our number one geopolitical foe"

And do you suppose Pres. Obama would like to "take back" his response....?
    ..."Gov. Romney, I'm glad that you recognize that al-Qaida is a threat, because a few months ago when you were asked what's the biggest geopolitical threat facing America, you said Russia, not al-Qaida. You said Russia ... the 1980s, they're now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because, you know, the Cold War's been over for 20 years," Obama said.

The now infamous debate exchange on youtube

But stay tuned, there is still plenty of airspace available for Republican Obama-bashing. (hey, maybe they do get it right once in a while)

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)