A repeated discussion.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (67 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I'm sorry to bring up an old subject, but it just seems so hypocritical to take advertising off of hubs that discuss sex in any way when there are so many gratuitously sexual hubs here. I have one called Sex and the Christian (a subject that can be somewhat taboo in some Christian homes)  that just had ads disabled, I remember a woman writing one on how to talk about sex with her kids who ran into the same thing. There really should be a difference between hubs that are "educational" and hubs that are "gratuitous".

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is a shame, Beth37. Maybe it's time for HP to adjust that algorithm. I also thought that we couldn't do hubs about alcohol. I see them a lot now.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe we're in the online prohibition era. We are so far in the future, we are moving backwards. lol

1. fpherj48 profile image61
          fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beth...this opens a deep wound for me.  My MOST viewed hub of all, was revenue-disabled due to the mention of minor details of a particular murder (which was vital to the hub context)...The accompanying alert from HP explained that I could "clean it up: & resubmit it. 

I begrudgingly did so, reported back to HP like a good little girl, pointing this out and asking for feedback from them.
          ZERO......ZIP......NADA.  Never acknowledged my correction that THEY asked for.......nor my email....and never enabled my hub.  So, I ask....WHY bother to even TRY to appease them if they do nothing in terms of follow-up?   It's not just "sex" they frown upon...and it seems no matter how we try to "comply" we can't change their frowns to smiles.

This has been a thorn in my side for 2 years.  I can't even think about the $$$$$  I've lost.  Not to mention the "enthusiasm" I lost....know what I mean?

1. profile image0

I'm sorry. I wonder if it was some kind of oversight. HPs is usually so good about responding to straight forward questions... maybe it was different a few years back? Did they have a smaller staff back then? I wonder if there is someone you could contact now and inquire if there is anything you can do to publish your piece. It sounds profound enough to try one more time, maybe?

OH...it is published.  Always has been.  It's my MOST viewed hub.....it's been on page one google a while ago.......I just don't make any money from it because they "disabled the revenue"........that's why I'm so angry.  Now, do you get it?  LOL

1. profile image0

Yes, I'm sorry. I should have asked if you had contacted them again about revisiting the hub since you edited it, but never got a response.

I did and they didn't........just like there had been no email, no change, no interaction, no NUTHIN!

1. profile image0

I think on one hand it's good that we are where we are. I'm sure it's a slippery slope. They enable ads on one hub with good intentions... all of a sudden, they've got a dozen hubs on how to have sex on a public elevator. Not that that wouldn't be a popular hub.

But on the other hand, (and please know I'm not picking on Luis personally, his is just the only hub I know off the top of my head) Luis's bikini hub has ads enabled and it includes pics. Which brings me back to my original pondering which was basically, is it possible to revisit the ban and see if it's too broad? Does it need revising, or is it safer just the way it is?

2. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't have AdSense so ads don't mean much to me, but I agree with you. I think if a hub may be seen by a computer or whatever as "sexual" (or even racist, etc) because of keywords, there should be a human evaluator who reads the hubs and determines whether or not they're related to education and ads allowed on those deemed as such.

1. profile image0

It was evaluated by a human moderator. So any changes I make must be resubmitted as opposed to it being reconsidered automatically when a hub is edited.

3. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I had one two years ago that talked about "spousal rape." At the time HP informed me that the hub was well written and very informative, especially since it had personal experience in it, but they could not allow ads because of the agreement with adsense.

1. profile image0

Yeah, I can imagine someone going thru that, googling it and finding your hub. It would be very helpful to them, I'm sure.

1. Cardisa profile image87
          Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I kept it for a while and it was getting good traffic, but I got frustrated about not making money from it and removed it...that was selfish of me I guess smile

4. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I see your point Beth but to HubPages, sex is deemed to be a more mature topic, not suited to a general audience.  Also HubPages has to depend upon the arbitrations of Google.  Topics dealing with sex, contraception, rape, and abortion are considered to be adult topics and not general audience or family friendly topics so advertisements are disabled on such topics.  The alternative is not being allowed to write on such topics.  My hubs on rape, abortion, and contraception have ads disabled and these hubs were not gratuitous in the least.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Adsense has blocked several of my blogs altogether despite them being not at all gratuitous and about mainstream topics like feminism and romance novels.

So, if Hubpages overshoots it is mostly because Adsense overshoots.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
          gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Feminism and romance novels?  Those topics are tame and not at all controversial.  Well Google, especially Adsense, have to appeal to the widest audience and many in that audience would be classified as sex averse.

2. profile image0

I wonder how many 14 year old boys ended up on Cardisa's Spousal Rape hub before they landed on Luis's Bikini hub. Luis, if you're reading this, does your bikini hub have ads enabled? (Just curious, not being mean.)

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
          LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes  it does.

I do agree that something is amiss with Google.  According to HP there are certain topics that Google might find offensive/too sensitive so HP seems to err on the side of caution and disables the adds, no matter how nearsighted this may appear.

What I don't often get is that even though HP may  find some Hubs as being too "sensitive" in  its topic,  you will often see adds for products that reflect the same topics that HP found offensive/sensitive.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8788233.jpg

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8788234.jpg

1. profile image0

Yeah, I also thought it strange that the ads were so extreme when the hubs are expected to be so straight-laced.

5. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, if you can convince Adsense to think that way, we'd all be happier.

I do think HubPages interprets the Adsense rules too strictly, but can you blame them?

Last year, Wizzley lost the right to use Adsense on the whole site for several weeks due to ONE member uploading ONE photo that it didn't like.  Luckily they were able to get the ban lifted - but what if they hadn't?   Adsense isn't known for giving second chances.  Without Adsense, HubPages would have to close down (it's a crucial part of the HP Earnings Program too). 

Personally, I'm happy that they apply the rules so strictly.  I have the choice to publish my "sensitive" articles elsewhere - and by the way, if you'd like to write an article on that topic on my blog, you'd be very welcome (with a link to your Hub or Hubs, of course).

1. profile image0

How very kind you are. I suppose I would have to rewrite the hub I have to do so.
        I have a blog that I haven't used since I joined HP's. My mother set her notifications so that she received one every time I posted a blog. Nothing like going thru a divorce with your mom telling you what a wonderful writer you are at the end of every effort. lol.
        I could start a new blog, but I'm afraid I might return to my romance poetry and I'm trying to avoid that. lol

BTW, it was your blog, wasn't it that said something about writing like your mother couldn't read it? I loved that quote.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes that's the one!  I had one writer contribute a post about how an orgasm a day keeps the doctor away. ..

1. BigBlue54 profile image59
            BigBlue54posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds more fun then an apple a day. smile

6. RonHawk profile image62
      RonHawkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hiya Beth,

The hub does not go anywhere near being gratuitous.  This hub have been a victim of automated screening.  Have you appealed the disablement or at least gotten an explanation for it?

7. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree here, Beth, especially when you take into consideration the double standard about what Google allows itself to commercially support v. the types of ads they post.  There seems to me often to be more objectionable content in the ads themselves than in the actual hubs.  I'm not sure how they justify that. 

hmm

8. profile image0
      MarissaRuthWalkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello Beth,

I have yet to publish a hub yet, but have at least two I'm currently working on and are saved as unpublished.

I am very upset to see that one of my hubs has ads disabled on it already, I think I know the exact reason why. It's because hubpages thinks it's fetish material.  Excuse me for going on a little rant here, but because you are unable to view the hub, I'll have to do some explaining about it. The hub they disabled it on is titled "5 Myths on Corset Waist Training", where I discuss myths people have behind waist training with corsets. What makes me upset is that my hub has absolutely nothing to do with corset fetishes, it shows to me that people still hold misconceptions about the corset being worn only as a fetish item. In fact,  I think it's offensive for them to brush it off as fetish material, especially when so many people waist train. My hub is entirely about seeing the corset as a body modification item, and there are many corsets specifically made to be for body modification, NOT for fetish or sexual use at all. I even state this directly in my hub. Do you think it's worth it to try and contact them about it, because from what I can see from above it doesn't look like their going to change anything. I'm being serious when I say it's pretty offensive to brush off my hub as some kind of fetish material when me and other people take waist training very seriously.

1. profile image0

I'm having a hard time understanding.
        You have no hubs published yet? Cause if they are not published, they will not have ads enabled. Did I misunderstand?

I am no expert, for sure, but I would imagine unless your pics are too revealing or certain sexual words are used, that you wouldn't have too much trouble. I haven't read the article, but unless it's an unsafe process etc. it just doesn't sound as if it would offend Adsense. I don't know, so many blanks I'm trying to fill in here.

1. profile image0
          MarissaRuthWalkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would think the same, but I have two unpublished hubs, and that one directly says that ads are disabled while the other one doesn't have the same symbol. I don't know why that is.

I'm guessing it's because I have one picture of a woman in a bra and a corset, but I didn't think that would be that revealing, it's certainly not a picture meant to be. I guess I'll have to find another picture, unfortunately. Hopefully that will solve the problem, otherwise I'll have to contact hubpages.

1. spartucusjones profile image91
            spartucusjonesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Any warnings you have about ads being disabled would of been the result of automated filters. So instead of trying to guess what set off the filter it might be good to just go ahead and try to contact Hubpages.

9. profile image0
      mts1098posted 10 years agoin reply to this

this could be an example of one of the problems with automatic sensors - I have had ads disabled on a hub with the word bikini in it.  The funny part is that the hub is about a town called bikinis...cheers

2. merej99 profile image74
    merej99posted 10 years ago

Hi Beth - I had the same situation with my eating disorders hub.  The pictures were considered too sensitive - but I was assured it was still of "featured" quality and my hubber score wouldn't be affected. I absolutely will not put "nicer" pictures to get ads back on because then I would compromise the integrity of the subject matter.  None of them are for shock value.  Sadly - next to my recipes it's the most visited hub so... 
    Well...  it is what it is, isn't it?

1. profile image0

Yeah, there's this feeling that 'maybe this will help someone, so I'm not going to take it down.' While simultaneously feeling like you've been forced to give up something that you worked for. I used to post poetry that was sexual, but as I started regaining some personal ground in my life, I unpublished it. This hub however, has a lot of good advice and I was pretty careful with the language.

3. merej99 profile image74
    merej99posted 10 years ago

As soon as I saw that ads were disabled I contacted HP.  They responded within the hour, which is really, really good.  I just wasn't happy about their decision but hey, it's their platform and their rules so I respect that - even if I disagree.

1. profile image0

For sure, I am a guest here, but from what I've seen they have always had broad enough shoulders to allow their decisions to be questioned/challenged. I do indeed respect and appreciate them.

2. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How is actually the best way to contact Hub Pages if you wish to question a decision?

1. profile image0

Click on "help" on the top right.
        Click the corresponding question at the bottom. Follow the questions till you get to "contact us" in blue. You can send an email that way.

1. Jodah profile image92

Thanks Beth

2. WD Curry lll profile image56
          WD Curry lllposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

3. Writer Fox profile image32
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this
    3. BigBlue54 profile image59
      BigBlue54posted 10 years ago

So if you want to write a hub which is going to be helpful and approaches a sensitive subject in an adult way your going to be penalised. I though we were now in the 21st century not the middle of the 19th. The same subjects are being covered elsewhere on other website and in womens magazines without that problem, so why here.

Doesn't make sense. I think they are being over sensitive here and maybe they should look again at this policy. If you are going to write a serious grownup subject then at least they should approach it in the same manner.

1. profile image0

Well, the answer we have heard before is that google makes the rules... or Adsense makes the rules... lol, I don't remember. Someone other than HPs make the rules and if they say we are breaking their rules then adsense will get pulled for the whole site etc.

I just wondered if there was some way to discuss the subject with Adsense, the way Paul discussed HPs recent issue with Pinterist and see if there wasn't someway to revisit those rules. I'm the first one to understand that kids out there need protection, but I truly believe if they are looking for salacious sex they will find it on the web in a million places before they would seek out educational type writings.

Maybe an online petition.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Advertisers are scared to death of the Bible Belt.

Google is scared to death of advertisers.

HubPages is scared to death of Google.

And beavers and armadillos are scared to death of HubPages.

1. profile image0

I not only live in the Bible Belt, I'm a Believer. I am super protective of kids. I just think there should be a dividing line so that the topic can be discussed. There is safety, abuse, intimacy... all sorts of non-salacious discussions on the topic. I got married at 17. My husband knew more about my body than I did. My parents weren't controlling nor were they prudes, I was just very innocent and I imagine there are still women out there who might have a few questions and very few places they can discuss them maturely.

I'm on your side. It's Corporate America that gets all excited. I like the Amazon idea, too. In fact, to heck with the ads, definitely go Amazon!

2. profile image0

Is that like telling someone to print a hate letter to the IRS on the front page of the Washington Post? I'm scared, you do it. lol

4. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

In general this relates to guessing what will upset Adsense rather than an active policy of Hubpages.

5. cecileportilla profile image71
      cecileportillaposted 10 years ago

I had the same thing happen to my hub on bed sores. I was basically advised that the bed sores were too graphic and could not have ADs but would be featured.  I removed the pictures with the large bed sores and replaced them  with a tiny more presentable bed sore and another picture of human skin layers.

I really did not understand the concept of a featured Hub at that time and felt that I had to remove the bed sores. I was relatively new to Hubpages. I started writing Hubs in January 2014 despite signing up for over 14 months.

In hindsight, I should have opted not to have Ads and let the pictures of the large bed sores remain so that my message would be properly conveyed.

1. profile image0

It puts you in the position of writing for free, for the betterment of others or writing in hopes of getting paid for your efforts. Ultimately being unselfish is best, it just seems a shame there can't be a better resolution considering both are the goal.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Is this a good time to bring up my Beavers Galore! hub?
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/2870450_f520.jpg
      Captioned: Crusty, dusty, dry beaver.

(Don't bother running to my profile to see it. It is gone. big_smile )

1. profile image0

Good thing you stopped me before I rushed over! smile

That hub was a veritable rofl riot during its time. But Google stopped sending traffic to it (I have no idea why), so it's moved on. big_smile

1. profile image0

I'm afraid to ask.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/2869834_f520.jpg
              Captioned: Sleek, slick, wet beaver.

2. merej99 profile image74
        merej99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

paradigm - you're a gas.  ROFL.  I think I love you.

7. BigBlue54 profile image59
      BigBlue54posted 10 years ago

Have you not thought about Amazon. Just did a quick check and there are several books with a similar title. By be you could affiliate one of those.

1. profile image0

That is a very good idea... I'd have to read at least portions of the book first before I could promote it.

It seems Amazon doesn't have the same problem with their Amazon Product Ads as Adsense does with theirs.

8. Mark Lees profile image77
      Mark Leesposted 10 years ago

Maybe the problem is that hubpages either don't have the ability to control the ads and the keywords will associate ads that they don't want, or maybe they just don't have the resources to adjust the settings for lots of hubs.

If it is for these reasons I think we just have to respect the decision of hubpages. However, if it is because they are just employing blind censorship then we should have an option to appeal having ads removed or perhaps stronger abilities to control the ads ourselves.

It has been a while since I checked Mark, but as far as I know you can have some degree of control on the ads but it is limited and in the end it falls to Google.

By some degree I mean if you are running a business you can stop your competitors from advertising on your site but that's about it.

9. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 10 years ago

I have only had one hub that had ads disabled due to adult content. It is a poem called Prince Plethora's Pleasure Palace. When writing it I originally called it 'Prince Plethora's Orgy' but then changed it, however the original shows up as the URL. I think that is the problem. I changed some wording and a couple of photos just in case but it didn't make a difference, and it isn't that shocking compared to a lot of other hubs I have read. Amazon and eBay ads appear but not Adsense or HP ads.

1. RonHawk profile image62

Did you try removing that hub, and reposting the cleaned up version in a new hub to give it a fresh chance?

1. Jodah profile image92

No Ron, I haven't tried that but it's probably the best idea. That could work.

2. Jodah profile image92

I emailed Hub Pages and they reinstated ads immediately and replied thus:
          "Ads have been reinstated on this Hub. Ads may be disabled again if you make any changes. Let us know if that happens and we will review the Hub again for ad reinstatement." So all is good.

1. RonHawk profile image62

Jodah,

I'm very glad it got resolved.  Let me share with you what I heard from another hubber but I have no way of verifying.  Since a lot of the screening of hubs (new or changed) happens with automated tools, every time you touch a potentially sensitive hub they go through the same thing. She cautioned that if their live operators have to get involved too many times to clear things up they can consider the writer not worth their time and ban them.  It seems a little harsh to me and I suspect there might have been other mitigating factors involved when it has happened.  So, now that you have gotten that hub reinstated it might not be worth the trouble to change it again and trigger the whole cycle just in case it's accumulating negative points somewhere (if at all).

1. Jodah profile image92

Good advice Ron, I don't intend to change it again now that the ads are enabled.

10. spartucusjones profile image91
      spartucusjonesposted 10 years ago

I had one Hub that I wrote on free music downloads which had issues with the automatic filters. I guess the subject lends itself to spam so the filters are detected to identify that subject and disable Ads in order to avoid Google penalty. Of course my hub was not spammy and the free downloads I were promoting where legit downloads made available directly through the artists and the record labels. So I contacted Hubpages and made my case and the Hub has since had the Ads enabled. Of course on the downside I would be hesitant to go and edit the Hub because I would risk setting off the filters again.

My point is that I would suggest that anyone who has been having issues contact Hubpages if you haven't yet and they still may be able to enabled Ads if they feel that you are not violating any Google policies. Keep in mind a lot of it is automated, so it can be helpful to request that your hub is reviewed by a real person.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)