Please Update Old Information on Your Hubs!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 10 years ago

Lately I've come across a lot of Hubs with outdated information in them.  If I comment or email to suggest it needs updating, I get the response, "Oh I wrote that ages ago."

Sorry, that's not acceptable.  There is no date on a Hub so as far as your reader is concerned, the information in that Hub is current.    People could be making decisions today based on what you've written!

And it's not enough to say in a comment (as one author did), "I wrote this Hub several years ago and I no longer recommend this product".   How many readers will read all the way down to the comments?  If you don't have time to revise the Hub, put that disclaimer at the TOP of the Hub, not at the end or in the comments, please! 

I don't think I have any Hubs in that category myself, but I'm off to make sure...

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm....I don't think I have any such categories; I generally do not do product review hubs.  My only reviews so far have been books and movies, and those are what they are; they're not going to change.

For those who do product reviews, it might be wise to include the full name, make and model number of the product; that way, anyone can see when going to search for it that it is, or is not current.

I agree, Hubs should be kept up to date, but for products that have annual "new models," that could be tough to keep up with, since not many are going to go out to buy and test each new model; Hubbers are not consumer testing agencies with the budget to do that sort of thing.
      (Just one reason I stay away from commercial product reviews.)

What else can go "out of date?"  I do a fair amount of political/social commentary/educational type articles...and that scene is fairly stable as to the goings-on behind closed doors....

Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The ones I was looking at were mainly for writing sites like Helium, Zujava, etc.   Just like HubPages, their rules change and many people who recommended them once, don't any more.

The other item is software (which is a product of course).

2. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I totally forgot to update my personal goals hub and it had 2013 in it! I usually update it on December 31 each year and totally forgot. I did that today so am set. What I did was remove all dates and made it really evergreen in case I forget again.

It was the second week in January that I realized I hadn't updated my wedding colors hub as well. Jeez...it's a lot of work maintaining hubs!

3. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It does take a lot of time to update hubs, and it is easy to forget when there are a lot of them.  I know I've found outdated info on my hubs even though I do go through them from time to time.

But for sure, if someone points out an error to you, you should certainly fix it right away.  It doesn't take that much time to update a hub, or at least correct the part with the error. Unpublish it if you don't have the time.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Marissa:  Maybe the team ought to automatically place dates on our hubs?

1. Cardisa profile image88
        Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When you update a hub the date is placed on it automatically. I've seen it on mine. It's to the bottom right of the hub and says something like "Last updated dd/mm/yyyy"

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

I think that's a double-edged sword, because it could harm evergreen Hubs that don't need updating.   For instance, I have a Hub on how to volumize hair.  The information in that Hub really doesn't change much, so it rarely needs updating.  However I could see someone clicking away from it if they saw it hadn't been updated for a few years (as it happens, I did update it recently to swap from ebay to Amazon ads).

2. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I guess my "The new Rachael haircut is da bomb!" hub
    will have to be unpublished. sad
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8791684.jpg

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90

Oh no Beth, it is timeless.  You're good.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Whew! What about my Hamill-Camel hub?

(I had this cut in the 1st gd. Mothers... what are they thinking?)
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8791807.jpg

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90

Oh. uh.  Well you could make a prediction that it will make a comeback some time in the next, let's say 50 years, to keep it evergreen!

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Evergreen. lol... Idk, that just makes me laugh.

I guess this is my evergreen hub. I'm not changing it for anyone, not even Marissa.
            http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8791818.jpg

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
            DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What's old is new again...it will come back, like clockwork, I guarantee.  wink

3. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

Oops, Have one where the date changes every year and I haven't changed it to 2014. On my way

4. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

Oops.  I received a notice that I had some broken links on my hubs.  I went to fix them, and I noticed some outdated information in them.  For me it is impossible to keep up with changes, but for sure, I will continue to try to do so whenever possible.

5. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Good points made hear. I guess evergreen is the way to go for most  hubs we write. By the way, the hubtool hates when we put dates in the article. It irks me when I get that notice, "Is this hub evergreen?" I have two hubs where I refer to a lot of dates for historical purposes. In one hub I didn't highlight the dates by putting then in parentheses and it helped.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Even in some evergreen hubs things change.  For example, in one of my RV hubs I referred to a magazine that is put out by Good Sam Club.  Recently the Club announced it will no longer publish that magazine!  So, there you go!

2. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Edit: Good points made here.  . . .aaaaaarrrrrrggggg!

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

I've browsed hair style hubs with yearly titles that haven't had the content/photos updated. 

I know I have at least one that that needs an update. Others simply need a refresh.

7. profile image0
    mariexotoniposted 10 years ago

This might be hard to do when someone has a couple hundred hubs published- we don't know how much time a person has to devote to HubPages or how serious of a writer they are. Yes, it is smart to update this information (and should definitely be addressed if emailed about). But it is also up to the reader to check several sources and verify the information. Hubs with outdated information, I would imagine, would be harder to find in Google search results, no?

I try my best to update my hubs- but it's not always easy to keep up with, when I have my life to live (school + job). I'm just saying- I can relate to the people who can not update hubs right away at someone's request for updated information. It depends on how we prioritize.

Who knows- I'm probably in the wrong light. Just my thoughts

I completely understand that some people can't drop everything to update a Hub!    My worry was the reaction I got from a couple of Hubbers - that they wrote the Hub ages ago, so it's "in the past" as far as they're concerned - as if it's buried in the mists of time, not out there providing misleading information.

As for Google search results - just because a Hub is old doesn't mean it will be harder to find.  Google respects age as well as freshness, so (unless they're on a topical event), Hubs tend to do better the older they get.

1. profile image0
        mariexotoniposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes! I completely forgot about seniority. You make a good point though. I agree that if another hubber goes out of their way to let another know that they're hub needs to be updated, then that should be on their to-do list. Not shrugged off.

Maybe HubPages could come up with some sort of incentive for that- a better Hub Hopper type system.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)