How Do You Stay Motivated?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Angela Harris profile image68
    Angela Harrisposted 15 years ago

I am such a champ at procrastination. I am well aware that this online thing takes time, effort, and lots of work. Yet for the past couple of days, I have not been able to get motivated to do anything constructive online. Of course, I've had time to post on the forum's 'last post contest' thread consistently day and night. big_smile

What I'm asking in a very long-winded way is, how do you stay motivated to keep on keeping on when the money builds up sooooo slowly. (This is in no way a criticism of Hubpages. Actually, at Hubpages I've managed to make more money in a shorter time than with any other online endeavor.)

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
      Peter M. Lopezposted 15 years agoin reply to this

...I thought I was the champ at procrastination???

2. Artimes Blaine profile image61
      Artimes Blaineposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ah the lovely art of procrastination. It is indeed difficult to defeat, but you just have to know the trick to it. In my case, I am mostly a fan fiction author as of late so the best way to get motivated is to watch the TV show, movie, and /or book in which you based your fan fiction on. Then you can remember why you loved the series so much to do a fan fiction in the first place.

As for other types of hubs, do something you love then write about it. That is the true key to being a successful author. If you don't love what you are doing than you won't put your all into doing it in the first place. Since I love writing so much and I certainly do enjoy watching television, I write about those things.

Now if that isn't enough than you probably need to let your muse have a vacation. It is indeed possible to burn yourself out, so remember to take a break every once in a while and let the creative juices settle. You never know when inspiration will strike and you don't want to be completely exhausted when it does.

Okay, that is enough speech making from me. Sorry, I have a tendency of becoming overly passionate about things, especially when it comes to writing. tongue

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I am just enjoying the community and trying not to feel guilty about that smile

Time to time I get rushes to actually do something, and this is when work is done wink

Angela Harrisposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Misha, I knew I could count on you for a helpful reply.
      Like you, the online community here at Hubpages really keeps me coming back. That and I would really like to be able to help my kids with college.
      Hopefully this is just a passing lull and I can get back on track soon. Thanks, Misha!

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

With 274 Hubs, you should be proud of your productivity!   

You know Misha is a very successful Hubber.  One thing he said, which I've always remembered (but done almost nothing about smile ) is that actually writing the Hubs should be the smallest part of your effort - most of your time should be spent marketing your work, e.g. by joining relevant forums, social bookmarking, etc.

That sounds like the perfect stuff to do when you don't feel like working at a new Hub!

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Actually this is what I do when I feel like working tongue wink

And you are welcome Angela smile  Not sure if I did anything helpful, though...

2. Angela Harris profile image68

Thanks for the compliment, Marisa.
      Yeah, Misha is a Hubpages legend. I read somewhere on these forums that Misha expects to be making somewhere in the ballpark of 6 figures in a year. Am I remembering correctly, Misha?

I do remember Misha speaking repeatedly about the importance of marketing. If you ever want to teach a seminar or sell an ebook, Misha, on how to replicate that success, I'm the first person to contact. big_smile

And Marisa, thanks so much for the excellent advice. It is a great idea. I've been pretending to do that somewhat, but not really getting much done. I am still learning the ropes about marketing and so I feel like I make more headway making new Hubs.

Misha, just being responsive like you and Marisa have done helps. I guess I'm just in a melancholy mood tonight.

I'm surprised, Misha, that you don't bring in traffic from forums. I haven't had a whole lot of success with social 2.0 sites either. I'm still trying to figure out the final piece of the puzzle.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

I can see things like social bookmarking are work, Misha - I was thinking more of hanging around forums on subjects you're interested in (and have written about).

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Hanging around forums does not bring neither many backlinks, nor traffic - at least for my topics. In fact, this is the only forum I am hanging around currently. And this is 100% for enjoyment. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

...so all that stuff about joining forums, becoming a valued member of the community, then publicising your sites is just another myth?

ah well, that saved me another job...

Seriously, it's something I haven't done because I don't have one particular subject that I Hub on.

6. Lifebydesign profile image62
    Lifebydesignposted 15 years ago

Angela, when I'm not motivated and procrastinating its usually because I'm hesitating hugely(!) on the next step. It's something I want to do but sometimes its 'scary' - which is just another way to say 'exciting'. (I prefer exciting!). And if I can't get past the stuck state by seeing the reward at the end of it, I task it on my calendar and take it one step at a time until the momentum builds. Its definitely mind over matter.

And like Misha said trying not be feel guilty about it is good advice -no need to beat myself up about it if that's what I choose
    to do. Right now.

Good luck smile

Lifebydesign, I didn't forget about you!
      Sometimes what you mention is exactly what causes me to procrastinate, but I don't think so this time. I believe I'm just having trouble seeing the light at the end of the tunnel or even sometimes believing that there even IS a light, you know?
      And you're right, it is mind over matter. And my mind just wants to play and pout at the same time at the moment. hmm

1. Lifebydesign profile image62
        Lifebydesignposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL - me too!

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I promise to reply tomorrow - it's too much strain on my tired brain right now smile

Good night, ladies smile

How sweet of you, Misha. Good night.

Marisa, that is also one of my problems- my hubs are all over the place. I need to focus on at least just a couple of specific areas. I just don't know which ones yet.

8. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 15 years ago

I motivate myself by striving to have a clear desktop.

My PC desktop.

I have two monitors running. The second one is off to my right. It's got folders. Lots of folders. I don't mind the mess on that one. I can just switch it off if I don't want to see it. But I usually have most of the screen taken up by Windows Media Player or my DivX player anyway.

My main screen though, it's a bit of a mess, but I try ever so hard to get rid of the clutter. So I strive to reduce the amount of documents that are sitting on there by getting my work done.

Of course after I reduced it by a few I'll end up adding a few others that I've either thought of or have pulled off the backburner.

It keeps me on my toes.

Something that can also work for me is giving myself a choice. Either finish this hub or go and do the dishes.

That usually sees me end up finishing the hub big_smile

9. Lissie profile image77
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

My motivation just hit top gear - why ? Well at the end of Mar  I hit the magic $100 and got an Adsense payout - only took 13 months ROTFL! Today I checked my adsense - in the 5 weeks since I am laready nearly 1/3 to my next payout - I am way motivated!

Keep pushing and it will happen ! if I can do it anyone can :-)

10. BrainFire profile image67
    BrainFireposted 15 years ago

Staying motivated comes from your perception of the finish line, and how you plan to get there. "Your Finish Line", the one you run through when you become accomplished. Try to visualize you're already there, in color. Allow the passion of your subjects to come through in your writing.

I stay motivated by helping people, sorta like a supply and demand type approach. I feel great honor to be able to share specific things I know a lot about. Which is one thing that keeps me very motivated.

All success and failure comes in phases. The first phase is the "Creation" phase. Then moving onto the "Exposure" phase, and finally, the "Accomplished" phase.

Depending on the main reason why you're here...To gain exposure in writing, or make  money, or hook up with work, etc. That would dictate the direction you would take this.

Appropriate marketing, and advertising could be your main motivating factor, to "keep" you motivated. "Results" are what keeps people motivated. Analyze your main objective first, then direct yourself down the path needed to accomplish your goals.

It's takes some time, endurance, and thought as to which way things should go. Sort things out accordingly in a logical manner, and it should help you avoid some hurdles in the road, on the way.

Remember, all who write on hubpages, have particular reasons why. Not everyone is here to try to make money, or become a famous writer.

I write mainly for therapy, and to help people. I stay motivated because of the need that's present, for the information I'm relaying. One of my biggest problems is...My time is very limited here, and I can't get the data out of my brain fast enough! lol

Take care, and good luck!  May the forces be with you in your quest!
    Dawn

11. Angela Harris profile image68

Darkside, Lissie, and BrainFire,
    Thanks for the replies.
    I like your ideas, Darkside. Especially the either/or choices- avoiding dishes would be a great way for me to get hubs done, too. wink
    Lissie, congratulations! I'm glad your motivation is on high and things are on track. And thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, awhile ago I checked my Adsense account. I have one of the lowest amounts ever for this time of the day. It sucks and really doesn't help with the motivation. hmm
    BrainFire, I also like visualizations. I try to keep my future that I want in my mind's eye. It is more difficult at times like now, though. Thanks for the tips.
    I have decided that for today at least I'm forgetting all about this online stuff. I'm spending the day with my daughter- shopping, eating out, dollar movies. I'll get back on track tomorrow, hopefully.

12. amy jane profile image69
    amy janeposted 15 years ago

Sometimes a little rest is what you need most, so you can approach everything again with a fresh outlook. I know I need that every now and then. smile
    Have a wonderful time with your daughter - sounds like fun!

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

OK, as promised yesterday - a short write-up about how I approach making money on Hubpages.

First - yes, I do target a six-figure income level by the end of this calendar year. It does not mean I plan to actually make 100,000 or more during this year. It rather means I plan to have daily revenue in the $300-400 range. Considering currently I make about $100-150 a day, and just a year ago I did not make anything worth mentioning, it does not look that impossible smile And yes, I started in 2005, and for about two years there was literally nothing to report.

No, it is not all from Hubpages. The main money maker is my own site, and Hubpages currently are directly responsible for about 10% of my earnings. Indirectly it helps ranking of my other sites and pages. My business model is publishing free content and earning on selling ads. I use Adsense, WidgetBucks, Shopzilla, Adbrite, Commission Junction, Clickbank, Amazon, and Ebay.

I live by search engine traffic. I found it to be the best quality for my niche and business model. So, 95% of my work time and my business expenses go into link building. I do not place backlinks for direct traffic - although I don't mind if I get this extra bonus - I do use them to build my rankings with search engines.

I mostly use article marketing, commenting on blogs, and Web2 - and then I rack those backlinks up with a bunch of social bookmarks. I do submit my own site to directories, too.

I think that's pretty much it - in short smile

Oh yeah, and did I tell you before you even start you need to do a keyword research? big_smile

14. profile image0
    RFoxposted 15 years ago

Hey Misha,

I must say I understand the importance of links but I don't understand what 'link building' is. Could you explain in truly simplistic terms how you 'link build'? I'm just a little confused because you said you don't place backlinks and I thought backlinks are what you want.

Do you exchange links with other companies? Or do you leave your link when you comment on other blogs etc.? Are outgoing links important in your articles?

This is the part of web marketing I don't quite get, yet. wink

15. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Umm, well, I was not clear enough, sorry. I DO place backlinks. In hundreds in fact. But I do this not to get direct traffic from whatever place I put a backlink, but to up my rankings on search engines. If I get some direct traffic, it's a plus, but I never concern myself with whether I get it or not.

Is it more understandable this way?

And link building is just that - placing your backlinks in any worthwhile place available smile And no, I don't do link exchange anymore - it is a proven waste of effort nowadays. Outgoing links are a controversial issue, and my take is  - I don't do them. Many respected experts think they help - I did not see this in my experiments, so I just don't do them.

Next question, please wink

16. Riley's Outlook profile image62
    Riley's Outlookposted 15 years ago

Hi, just wanted to know why you need other hubbers and not outside people to be your fans?

17. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL, I asked for the next question - I got it big_smile

Hi, you actually don't NEED fans I think. It's nice to have them, though. And it just coincidentally happens you usually wanna keep track of them, if you have more than a few. And it is much easier to do if they are registered at the same website. smile

Just my thoughts - don't know what the official answer is smile

Welcome to Hugpages big_smile

18. Riley's Outlook profile image62
    Riley's Outlookposted 15 years ago

Thanx big_smile

19. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

Hey Misha,

Do you do most of your link-building yourself or do you outsource it? I find the entire link-building process to be really tedious so I don't do it enough. I do article marketing (with both my own writing and outsourced writing) and I usually have some directory submissions done for me (which I haven't decided the real value of yet), but that's about it. Social bookmarking gives me hives, but I wonder if it would be worth outsourcing.

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Hi Embitca smile

It changes over time. I started with doing everything myself, and gradually I am moving towards outsourcing.

I fully outsource directory submissions. At $0.14 a pop it's a no brainer smile Of course paid directories are manual.

I bought a software for social bookmarking. Still, some of them I do by hand cause they are not included. I use every networking possibility to leverage bookmarks - I am a member of several groups who do bookmarks for one another.

Articles is a mix - I submit many by hand to many web2 places like Hubpages, Squidoo, Ezinearticles, Qassia, Spongefish, Lazzeo, etc. At the same time I use one of the web services to spin and submit articles to hundreds of regular article directories. I am a member of a couple of paid article exchange services, too.

Three way backlinks I also do through the paid services - but of course it requires manual setup.

Blog comments - I tried to do them in a structured manner, but it took too much effort. Now I just comment on any blog post that comes my way and stick a backlink there big_smile

1. Lissie profile image77
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Misha youve given all the secrets away! I am only at the start of my journey! Something loud went click about 6 weeks ago and I started following vic at bloggerunleashed - backlinks are everything - exactly as you are saying.  I bought social bookmarking software too started using it and it works ROTFL! 
      The key is of course in the KW research - which I am crap at because that takes experience - so I am going scattergun - 100 sites - so something must work! Statistically!

2. Lissie profile image77

Do you do unique content for each of HP, Squidoo, Ezines etc.  I am doing unique for those 3 and thinking about duplicate for the rest of them

Do you think its important to get dofollow links or will any link do so long as its anchored right?

21. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Hi Lissie smile

I don't think those are big secrets. They are all over the net - along with the ton of other methods. The problem is to understand what works for you - and this is not necessarily the same set that works for me. Of course there are things that work for everybody, and there are things that just plain don't work, too smile

Backlinks yeah, they are way more important than anything else. You can rank an empty page on the first place for a competitive keyword if you have enough links. And there is no way you can rank perfectly optimized page with no links at all. For any keyword. That gives you a perspective big_smile

Not sure I would go with 100 sites, too much mess for me - but this is definitely my personality trait - you can see it by the number of my hubs big_smile Many people are very successful cooking sites by hundreds, though.

I read about your Vic on your blog. Based on what I hear from you he makes sense smile

Now, coming to specific questions smile

I do very few of unique content. Most of my articles are quality spun. In fact there is a split on Hubpages - three of my hubs are fully unique, and three are spuns. Have fun guessing which ones smile I tried duplicate content at the beginning, and it did not work for me. I don't do it anymore. BTW, I deadly need somebody to prepare spins for me - this is the most tedious job I currently do. I am looking for opportunity to outsource this, too smile

As for nofollow... There are two goals to the link building - getting link love and filling the anchor file. You don't have to mix them, you can have them separate. I am happy to get dofollow link from a juicy page with whatever anchor, and I am happy to get a nofollow link with  anchor containing my keywords big_smile

Next question, please wink

Hey Misha you're a gem,

I'll take you up on your next question offer- what is linklove and anchor file- I presume they're related to do/no follow which means you're linking people in?

1. Misha profile image63

Thank you smile

Well, your question is the most fundamental one. I don't think I can answer it fully within a forum thread really.

In short, link love or link juice is the combination of quantity and quality of your incoming links for a particular page. Google calls it pagerank and shows some kind of proxy for this on the toolbar. However, what it shows on the toolbar and what it uses for actual calculations of your rankings are two completely different animals. smile  Other search engines have similar calculations in their algorithms.

How much link love particular backlink brings to your page depends on two things: 1. How much link love the originating page itself has. The more it has, the more it can give out; 2. How many links originate from that page. All available link love is divided between outgoing links.

Anchor file or anchor list is just a list of anchors of all links pointing to the page. I think once anchor is included in the list, it is not associated with the link it was used for. Therefore it does not really matter if this was a single dofollow link from PR7 page or one of five dozen nofollow links from PR0 page smile

If you are really interested in learning SEO, I would recommend to start with this website:
        http://www.seofaststart.com/

Download and read ebook, and explore the site. This is the best available beginner course on SEO I'm aware of, and it is totally free. And no, I'm not an affiliate smile

thanks Misha for your time, advice and reply!     

Who's next in line for one of our gurus? Anyone?

2. Lissie profile image77

I tried spinning a little while back but found it all a bit too hard -quicker to just rewrite the article!   English does have some many ways of saying the same thing!  I know yoru Eng is not native so I can understand you using a spinner

Thanks very much for your detailed answer  - I must be dense - I read about links months ago but its taken this long for anything to go click!

1. Misha profile image63

You are welcome Lissie smile

Actually, it all depends on the number of articles you need. If you are talking half a dozen - yes, just go re-write them manually, much less work. But I am using hundreds of spins of the same article, and in this case spinning them saves loads of time and effort. And money - if you outsource writing as I do smile

22. profile image0
    RFoxposted 15 years ago

Jeez Misha you should set up a web answer service. One dollar per question then you won't have to worry about backlinks. Lol wink

Thanks for answering my question. It is clearer now. big_smile

1. Misha profile image63

You are always welcome smile

23. embitca profile image84
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

Thanks Misha for your thorough answers smile  And now I'm going to check your hubs and see if I can figure out which is spun. And if I can't tell I the difference I might have to find out the name of your article spinner. But you have to do that manually don't you? I am very lazy LOL

1. Misha profile image63

Yeah, that's the worst part about it. I literally spend days stuffing articles with synonyms and alternative sentences in preparation for spin. Otherwise you just get crap. sad

24. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

Thanks for some really useful information Misha. 

This is very relevant to me as I've around 20 Hubs but until recently most of my traffic still came from HubPages.  I'm urgently trying to build search engine traffic on my Hubs.  Currently virtually all my earnings are from around 40 referral Hubs and not my own.

1. Misha profile image63

You are welcome Rick smile
      I'm glad i could help you a bit smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm surprised, Rik.  Over 80% of my traffic has come from search engines for a long time.  If I ever work out how that happened, I'll let you know!

25. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Misha is good with the back linking stuff.

1. Misha profile image63

Thank you Sir smile

26. robie2 profile image77
    robie2posted 15 years ago

Procrastination is my specialty--and I don't even have the grace to feel guilty about it smile

27. Angela Harris profile image68

Amy Jane, thanks so much. I did have a lot of fun with my daughter and it was especially nice because soon we will be separated because of college.

Peter, believe me, I AM the champ at procrastination. wink

Wow, Misha, impressive. You've definitely worked hard for it, and no one else deserves it more. You always give back and help anyone that asks. Thanks so much for such great free information. You could sell that stuff, but I'm sure you know that! I agree that keyword research is definitely the first and one of the most important steps. It's also one of the most tedious, for me at least.

Thanks, everybody, for your responses!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)