Odd Comments

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

I have been getting a lot of odd comments on my hubs today.  They appear to be from a lot of different IP addresses, and do not have links on the names.  Some of them appear completely unrelated, and most don't really look like spam.  I am wondering if they are simply going to the wrong hubs.  There are similarities though - there is at least one word that is misspelled, and the style seems to be similar.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry you are getting SPAM comments!

Please continue to mark any you deem as SPAM.
      We use this data to help identify problematic IPs and other aspects, so this will help reduce such SPAM going forward.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91

Couple of examples:

On the Hub What to Put In Christmas Cards:

Adam 77 minutes ago

Thanks everyone! I fruige I better make sure I take some good photos every fall for the next few years, because posing them for a special Holiday shoot is just not going to happen!

ip: 148.251.34.37
    On the Hub Easy Crafts to Make or Sew and Sell at a Crafts Fair or Bazaar:

Medina 91 minutes ago

Amy,If you found someone that nedeed it to complete a bed you might get as much as fifty dollars. No dealer that I am aware of would bother putting it in stock owing to the extremely limited market. You should go to Google Images and search “Simmons bed spring”. One or more might turn up and might have some dollar information connected. The spring is probably 60-80 years old and made so well that it is still useful. You can put a zippered cover over it for cleanliness and use it as a box spring.Good Luck,Marshall

3. Millionaire Tips profile image91

There's a bunch of these types of weird comments in my spam comments folder as well.

4. Millionaire Tips profile image91

Thanks MM, I will do as you say.

The weird thing is that it really doesn't look like spam - they look like valid comments to some other hub or article. I don't really see why someone would take the time to write odd comments without a link or profit motive.

I am surprised by the same every day! Why would someone spin a Hub with no ads on it and no links?

smile

5. I Am Rosa profile image82
    I Am Rosaposted 10 years ago

I get them, too and mark them as spam.  My assumption is that they're phishing - testing to see if your comments are monitored.

6. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

This is going to sound stupid but bare with me, I got a lot of these recently, with dates added and such, and my first thought was someone was passing messages, not just spam. I looked up the dates that were on the spam such as:

on a hub about sleep paralysis I think it was I had someone say something similar to this. Hi sandy, love the photos taken on 23.2.2003 at 3.15 in the afternoon!

I often wonder if people use articles for passing secret messages i.e. secret meetings to cause trouble, or rallys etc, maybe even terrorist stuff, but that could be over the top, but it does make me think!

Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nell, there was one message that had odd numbers on it, and it is possible that there are secret messages in there, but the rest of them were just words.  Even if they were secret messages, they would have to look at a lot of websites to get the message?  They weren't on the same hub, but on a lot of different ones.

Maybe by marking these as spam and deleting them, we will do our patriotic duty and thwart some big terrorist plot!

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Might make for an interesting novel - a thriller lurks among the hubs?

2. Nell Rose profile image90
        Nell Roseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol! yes maybe I think I am Miss Marple! but my suspicious mind does wonder sometimes! you never know, maybe they phone each other to say what site they are on? I am in the wrong job.....should be in MI5! lol! but you know what they say! Occams Razor!

Please try to keep on topic.
          If you would like to discuss things further in the forums, you can start a new thread in the freeform discussion area.
          Here are the forum rules.
          http://hubpages.com/help/forum_rules

Stick to the topic. Please stay on the thread’s topic when replying to an existing thread. If you don’t see an open thread about something you’d like to discuss, please open a new thread.

1. Cardisa profile image88
            Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's her sense of humor Matthew...lol. That's Nell,turning something serious into something funny, but still on topic big_smile

1. Nell Rose profile image90
              Nell Roseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Cardisa, Matthew, what the hell? how can it be off topic? I have the spam on mine too, its not as if I started talking about aliens or something, it was meant to be a joke!

2. FlourishAnyway profile image95
      FlourishAnywayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like your suspicious mind, Nell.  I have had some spammy comments, too.  One yesterday was from a woman to her friend -- encouraging the friend to "tell those women off."  It made me wonder if she took offense at something in my hub or if she was just an odd bird.  I deleted it.

I googled a couple of the comments and it seems like some of them are from Yahoo Answers,  though I'm not sure if they are copied from there or also copied to there.

7. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

They make me think of Facebook or Twitter messages between two people who know each other, and they were entered on HP by mistake.

8. aingham86 profile image71
    aingham86posted 10 years ago

I had one today too. I've marked it as spam, but it was really weird spam.

9. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Sounds like something caused by a virus to me.

10. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Generally the odd posts with no links are spammers trying to get their account accepted and off 'new poster' moderation--so their later spam will be more effective.

11. Millionaire Tips profile image91

I think it is possible that these comments are coming from people who want to steal our hubs.  They are probably writing comments - most of them have a weird misspelling or a number combination - and then seeing how their misspelling ranks on Google.  This also really doesn't make sense to me since you can look up the hub title on Google and see the results.

12. Dolores Monet profile image92
    Dolores Monetposted 10 years ago

I had that a few months ago. I just make it so that my comments will not show unless I allow them to. That way I can delete the rubbish before anyone sees it.

Nellie that is an awesome paranoid idea. I love it. Ain't nobody going to pass secret messages on my account, haha!

Thanks Delores. I have changed my settings. No more secret messages on my hubs!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)