HubPages Should Share ALL Google AdSense Revenue

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    legendarygraduateposted 10 years ago

HubPages only shows our Google AdSense units 60% of the time, and the rest of the time it goes to HubPages Inc. Many inexperienced Hubbers complain about not making enough money on their Hubs, and I can see why. I propose that HubPages Inc. start sharing ALL Google AdSense revenue that shows on our individual Hubs, rather than only showing our units at random times.

We work hard on our Hubs and we have to write several of them before we can even earn a penny! It's inexcusable. I am not asking to make millions of dollars, I am only asking that we get what we have earned, to share the revenue, rather than being like "Gee, I hope that my Ad Unit shows"!

I am very happy to be here, and that the community is friendly, and if we all shared, then it would be an even happier experience for both Hubbers and HubPages.

Thank you.

~Joseph D. Smith

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Except for 'Related Searches' and ads on the Forum, HP really does share about 100% of the revenue with Hubbers (minus expenses for salaries of 15 staff members, payment to corporate investors and venture capital obligations, operating cash reserves, office space, equipment, hosting, Mechanical Turks QAP freelancers, and etc.).

1. profile image0
        legendarygraduateposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've read the facts, and each individual Hubber only has their ads shown on their Hubs 60% of the time. I mean, I would be happy with just 20% of my ad revenue, rather than worrying if I am ever gonna have my ads shown! I know that HP has a very small staff, and that they have expenses. But what about the Hubbers?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
          MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Those hubbers who wouldn't have a platform to write on if HP gave them all the money? You could always start your own site, pay for hosting and domain work, do all the coding, do all of the design and user functionality, pay for the bandwidth and still make enough to pay yourself for all the hard-work you put into it.

2. Barbara Kay profile image75
          Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Having your own website costs money and Hubpages is free. You've got to expect them to keep money to pay the bills for servers etc and to get paid back for the original investment. This setup it fair to me.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HubPages is a small business running a big website.  If they showed your Adsense units 100% of the time, then they'd have to charge each of us a fee for server space, design, support etc etc. - because without the share of ad revenue, they would have no other income. Would you prefer that?   Are you sure the fee wouldn't be more than you're earning?

3. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Let's try to keep it civil and on topic, please.
      http://hubpages.com/help/forum_rules

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I am having trouble following this.  I am pretty sure 20% of revenue would be less than 60% of time.  But I agree, we can;t know for sure.

I would prefer a split of revenue but that would involve giving Hubpages 100% trust and using only their publisher ID. Then they would need to create some very complex system for dividing up the revenue.  I imagine it would be a nightmare.

1. profile image0
      legendarygraduateposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It would indeed be a nightmare, but all anyone can do is try.

3. profile image0
    legendarygraduateposted 10 years ago

You know, an idea just hit me! What if HubPages places their ads on one part of the page, and they put the Hubbers' ads on another part of the page? Maybe that way we can share without giving a percentage of the revenue.

1. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You cannot have 2 adsense ID's on the same page at the same time.

The existing system works just fine anyway! I don't think you really understand how it works.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Just still a percentage of revenue that way, just an even less transparent exact percentage.

5. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 10 years ago

Legendarygraduate no longer exists.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this
  6. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Actually, in addition to 100% of the AdSense revenue, HP should also:

A. Credit our accounts with an extra $20 a month for ISP costs.
    B. Credit our accounts with an extra $10 a month for computer depreciation costs.
    C. Credit our accounts with an extra $5 a month for electricity costs.

After all, fair is fair.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Could they pay us a retainer for our writing services too?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wished I'd thought of that. Yes, each new user should immediately get a $100 credit.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)