Truth

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (26 posts)
  1. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 10 years ago

"the closer we get to beauty, the closer we get to truth"

What do you think about this statement?

1. Righteous Atheist profile image60
      Righteous Atheistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It makes no sense at all. wink

janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm not even sure who said it. It might have been Einstein.

Maybe the person who made the quote was meaning that reality is based on harmonic proportion, which is attractive to our senses.

Exactly how do you get that? Surely it could mean that emotional intelligence comprehends pure sensations? Or that wholeness opens quantum choices?

It could mean anything to anyone, I guess.

I equate beauty with the Golden Mean, and harmonic proportion. And I equate truth with reality.

I was just wondering what other people thought.

I told you what I thought. Why not use the words you mean instead of words that have other meanings. i.e. "The closer you get to harmonic proportion, the closer you get to reality." or "Our consciousness gives rise to an expression of knowledge."?

The original statement is meaningless.

That's fine. Thanks for your input.

2. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe it was a quote by Daniel Tammet who was talking about his autism at the Ideafestival in 2010.

Thank you. That must have been where I got the quote. I recently watched the video, and somehow mixed it up in my head:)

I am currently watching more, because he is fascinating. How someone can see numbers like that is incredible. And to calculate in your head like that? So cool.

1. Silverspeeder profile image61
          Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It reminds me of the film the Matrix

He doesn't see the numbers, he see's what they represent which in his case is colours = beauty.

3. kess profile image61
      kessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Truth is 100% objective and subjective.
      Truth is a neither here nor there, and both here and there.
      So therefore one is always closest as they can ever be to it, while at the
      same time always furthest away from it as they can ever be.

Beauty as is commonly employed, represents the divide between the objective and the subjective, relegating the Truth of it into a lie.
      Example, I the subject look at you the object and conclude that You are ugly while I am beautiful.

But I do concur that the ultimate of beauty is Truth itself.

1. BuddiNsense profile image59
        BuddiNsenseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Pakka  is truth in beauty. The closer is truth when beauty is naughty.
        Object is subjective while subject objects.
        And all together the another wash out and broth make sit beautiful.

4. BuddiNsense profile image59
      BuddiNsenseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"What do you think about this statement?
      Verbal diarrhea??!!

5. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, it is a rather meaningless statement, truth and beauty are not even remotely the same thing.

Have you ever heard of metaphors? Poetry?

6. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would hope no one took themselves so seriously as to believe that. If that were true, we'd all be on the same path toward finding truth.

I'm assuming, by using common sense, that no one takes this as anything more than a metaphor.

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ok. So, what is the implied comparison?

I already said what I thought it meant. Or what it seemed to mean to me.

I don't think people take things the same way, which is why I was wondering what other people thought about it.

7. Dr Lamb profile image54
      Dr Lambposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"The closer you get to the meaning
      The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming"

"Well if it seems to be real, it's illusion
      For every moment of truth, there's confusion in life
      Love can be seen as the answer, but nobody bleeds for the dancer"

Thoughts?

8. profile image0
      Dave36posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's the kind of statement i love to leave ticking over in my mind, & the kind of question that would be great to ask whilst meditating (whilst not thinking)....I only just saw this question so no time for it to have been ticking over, but here goes anyway!lol...."the closer we get to beauty, the closer we get to truth".....When i see something beautiful i know it's beautiful because i "just know it is", it pleases my eye so to speak.....I don't need to think it's beautiful, but i wouldn't be able to explain why i think it is....So my body doesn't tell me it is, & neither does my mind.....My eyes see it, & i just know inside.....So what's inside me that knows if it isn't my body/mind?, i would say soul but that would upset a lot of people on here.

2. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago
    1. EncephaloiDead profile image54

Here's something that is so close to the truth, that it is truth:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/120223

3. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

janesix, powerful topic.

Keats once wrote, "Beauty is truth, truth beauty," (Ode on a Grecian Urn). Glad I read that in high school.

This is similar to the idea of Occam's Razor, but that tool of economy is not a one-size-fits-all implement. Sometimes it does more harm than good. An example I use in my latest book (The Bible's Hidden Wisdom, God's Reason for Noah's Flood -- soon to be published) concerns a jungle native attempting to understand the light bulb. Occam's Razor would take him in the wrong direction. He would need greater complexity -- not less. He would need to learn about conductivity, electricity, generators, electrical resistance, filaments, vacuums or inert gases, metallurgy, glass blowing and likely much more.

Einstein believed in a simple universe. Simple for him, perhaps. Most people have no ability to understand Relativity. He supposedly once said that God does not throw dice, referring to quantum mechanics. He didn't believe in QM. That was his loss.

I think there is something to the idea of Beauty and Truth. Einstein's ego got in the way of him appreciating the beauty of quantum mechanics. From my 63 years of experience, it now seems that ego is the source of a great deal of ugliness in the world -- perhaps even all evil. Ego is pure lie. Ego is the false self that keeps us separate; love is the truth that brings us together.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54

Do you even know what Occam's Razor is about? The principle states that entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily or essentially, when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better.

What does this have to do with educating natives about a light bulb?

Most of us do have the ability to understand Relativity, just not the inclination.

2. Dr Lamb profile image54
      Dr Lambposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm afraid you may not have an understanding of what Occam's Razor is. I'd edit that part of your book before you get laughed at. Occam's Razor eliminates the unnecessary not knowledge.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)