Captain America 3 will battle "Batman vs. Superman" at the box office

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 10 years ago

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Marvel will release Captain America 3 on the same exact day as "Batman vs. Superman" in 2016.  As many movie fans probably know, "Batman vs. Superman" was originally supposed to come out next year, but it's been pushed back for undisclosed reasons.  Coincidentally, WB moved the movie to be on the exact same date as the undisclosed Marvel film at the time; which falls on May 6, 2016 to be exact.

However, Hollywood Reporter reveals that mystery movie is none other than Captain America 3.  Kevin Feige mentions that they have no intention of pushing back their movie release to avoid any kind of competition with "Batman vs. Superman." 

And, it doesn't look like WB is going back down either at this point, so let me ask you all this.  Assuming this happens, who do you think will win that opening weekend?  Will Captain America 3 outshine "Batman vs. Superman" for box office supremacy?  Or will WB's coveted crossover film with two of their biggest iconic characters be too much for Cap 3 to overcome?

And for that matter, which one do you think will end up being the better movie overall?  please discuss.

1. Titen-Sxull profile image71
      Titen-Sxullposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thus far Marvel Studios has a much better track record with turning out good films as it builds its bigger Universe. Even movies like Thor 2 and Iron Man 2, the weaker links in the Marvel chain, are still solid entertaining super-hero movies.

In the meantime WB/DC just can't seem to wrap their heads around anything that isn't a Batman movie. We had three excellent Nolan films so naturally they decided to Nolanize Superman. Big mistake. Man of Steel may have been a financial success but it was critically a mixed bag and, in my opinion, is perhaps the most mediocre superman movie we've ever had.

So now we have the same team working on what is looking more and more every day like its a Justice League movie as they add villains and heroes. From the outside looking in it seems like they have NO IDEA what they're doing, especially with how long they are taking to set this whole thing up.

Think about it, Iron Man came out in 2008, Avengers 2 is slotted for a 2015 release. In seven years we've had Iron Man 1, 2, 3. Thor 1, 2, Captain America 1 with the second film coming out in just a few weeks and of course the wildly popular Avengers film. That's eight films so far, so Marvel isn't playing around and the best part is they aren't pulling any punches either, they aren't just focusing on quantity but have produced quality super-hero films.

I think that if the trailer and marketing is done right Batman/Superman will probably beat Cap in the box office but right now I have no intention of seeing David Goyer and Zack Snyder make beloved DC characters even more boring and humorless. I am thinking of working on a hub explaining why Man of Steel fails as a movie, and the key for me is the lack of humor and the tone.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't see how humor is required to make any film great.  After all not every great movie has humor in it.  As for thor 2, I honestly thought that was arguably marvels best movie. Way better than the Avengers as that movie is overrated if you ask me. Still a great movie but the plot for it isnt that great.   I do think with the way things are going that it does seem like you're right about wb not really having that much of a clue where they want to take their superhero cinematic universe.  Whereas marvel they're already planning phase 3 &4 before we've even gotten out of phase 2 of their cinematic universe.   Plus you forgot about guardians of the galaxy as that's another marvel film coming out this year.  If that movie is a giant hit along with antman next year then that's going put even more pressure on wb to step up their game

1. Titen-Sxull profile image71
          Titen-Sxullposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do think every great movie has some level of comic relief or humor in it. Every movie needs to have those moments that release tension and bring the tone to the correct level for the audience. It especially helps with character building to have dialog where characters joke at each other's expense or otherwise employ comic relief.

Thor 2 was okay but it felt extremely quick, the pacing could have used some loosening up as we never really get to know the characters all that well. Also many of the jokes fell flat for me, especially during the escape scene with Thor and Loki and having Selvig do goofy things. That being said its still miles ahead a movie like Man of Steel, where the few attempts at humor failed miserably. In fact in the entirety of Man of Steel I can remember only two of the attempts at humor, Superman destroying that guys tractor trailer at the bar and Lois Lane insulting the soldiers when she's first introduced.

1. profile image0
            Stevennix2001posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well to each their own. I don't think humor is necessary per say for every movie to be great, as it really depends on how well the story is written if anything else.  Humor can be great in some movies when it's required, but it's not exactly a requirement to make a film great.  If anything, i think the two key factors you really need when making a film great is character development, and the writer and director obviously have to be on the same page as far as being able to tell a great cohesive narrative. 

As for thor 2, I thought it was great simply because when you stop and think about it, Thor is arguably one of the more unique superheroes out there.  I mean the character's history is drenched in mythology and fantasy, yet he exists in a marvel universe where majority of the characters science fiction based if anything else.  And, thor 2 was kind of the perfect balance of that.  it was a superhero movie that meshed both science fiction with mythology and fantasy which made it seem very unique and interesting; which is more than i can say about thor 1 that kind of underwhelmed me.  not saying thor 1 was a bad film, but it just didn't impress me. 

As far as this marvel vs dc thing in 2016, I think it should be interesting.  It almost seems like Warner Bros. and Marvel Studios are playing a game of chicken with each other to see who's going to flinch first at this point.  And the sad thing is now that Kevin Feige said that he's not going to reschedule his release date to avoid competing with "man of steel 2", he kind of backed himself into a corner to where he can't back out now.  The same can kind of be said of Warner Bros. because if they reschedule their movie AGAIN by pushing it back more, with little to no explanation why again, then what does that say about them?  I mean Superman and Batman are arguably two of the most iconic superheroes of all time, and people have been waiting for years to see them together in a movie, yet they're scared of captain america 3?  a film about a character who isn't even close to being as iconic as either of them? 

Although to be fair, i do agree with you that Marvel seems to have the advantage in terms of having more faith from the fans.  Hell, they can easily get away with a bad movie here and there, and it wouldn't hurt their credibility. 

The only real skepticism that I would have about captain america 3 competing with "batman vs. superman" though is the fact that captain america is a harder character to sell overseas for obvious reasons.  I'm sure we both know this, but then again, we don't know how popular captain america will be by the time cap 3 rolls around.  From what I've been hearing from various sources, it looks like cap 2 could end up becoming the best marvel movie to date, and if it does, then that might change things a bit because i think it's safe to say that avengers 2 will dominate the box office revenue for next year.   So who knows?

I do think that WB can't afford to have another mixed reaction to one of their movies again.  If it does, then I predict that it'll most likely beat cap 3 at the box office for the first weekend (doesn't mean cap 3 won't be a better movie, but it just won't make more money).  However, once word of mouth gets out about both films, then that could be bad for "Batman vs. Superman" in terms of having long term success at the box office if that makes any sense.

2. profile image0
    Jayfortposted 10 years ago

Unless Warner Brothers and DC reverse their New 52 Universe, I'll never watch another DC Comics movie again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)