Is Horus Jesus?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (49 posts)
  1. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

Was born on Dec, 25th, born of a virgin, was accompanied by the star in the East, was adored by 3 kings and had 12 disciples he travelled with, performed miracles, was called lamb of god, was crucified, was dead for 3 days and resurrected.
    Does it remind you of someone else? Bingo. Jesus 3,000 years later. What a coincidence, isn't it?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've heard this comparison a lot... and honestly I don't care one way or the other...

But it always amused me to claim that Horus was born on the 25th of December. If you think about it, I'm sure you'll understand why.

In addition, most Christians understand that Christ wasn't born on the 25th of December and that both Horus and Christ being "born" on that day has more to do with agriculture than anything else.

1. janesix profile image61
        janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The December 25th is just the winter solstice (21st solstice, thee days of the sun rising in the same place, when it starts rising in a new spot again on the 25th)

I've heard the Horus born on Dec 25 thing too a lot, but since I've never actually seen an actual SOURCE for that, I don't think it's true.

There are commonalities, but I think they are pretty vague.

There was no December 25th when Horus was born.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image57

There was no December 25th when Horus was born. There would have been when Christ was born... but it would have been October.

Didn't think of that:)

Still, I think they put it at winter solstice specifically, probably to please the "pagans". Just like how the Christians built churches over sacred spots. So the pagans would be more inclined to follow the new religion.

All religions do it though. Look at Jerusalem.

maxoxam41posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You know that it would refer to the constellations. Therefore there would be a 25th. Sagittarius is a constellation isn't it? How do you think we date our time? The Egyptians were much more knowledgeable in science that we are now!

Sure, I know all about that. Quite a bit in fact. Astrotheology is a major factor in many religions.

2. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Fascinating!  What did the ancient Egyptians know that we don't?  Beyond, that is, that giant tombs provide for the afterlife...

Well they at least knew their astrononomy pretty well, thousands of years before anyone else.

1. wilderness profile image95

Thousands of years before the builders of stonehenge?  Before the East Asians (and how do you know)?  Were they aware that the earth isn't the center, or just recording movements and assigning meanings that weren't there?

That the Egyptians were among the most advanced of the period is indisputable.  That they knew more than anyone else on earth is probably false and that they knew more science in general than we do today, well, that's just silly.

2. maxoxam41 profile image64

Not only astronomy, medicine, architecture (the pyramids that we never mastered but also mathematics, agriculture... It's not because you (wilderness) know nothing about them that anybody else doesn't.

3. maxoxam41 profile image64

I also heard that Jesus was born the 25th. Why would one version be more objective than the other? It is written on Egyptian papyri.

Do you have a link to a translation of that specific text? Because I would love to see it. Not much interests me more than this subject.

Then I advise you for starter Zeitgeist, the movie.

I've seen it, although it's been a couple months.

2. JMcFarland profile image70
                JMcFarlandposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you're getting your ideas from Zeitgeist, It has been condemned as poor scholarship from the academic community - both atheists and Christians alike have refuted the film and the concepts and interviewees in it.  It is not reliable. 

There are a lot of mythicist ideas about Jesus.  Some are more credible than others.  Please don't use Zeitgeist as your source.  You will get ripped apart from people on both sides.

http://atheistexperience.blogspot.com/2 … ponse.html

http://conspiracies.skepticproject.com/ … /zeitgeist

When it makes sense I use it. Did you watch their movie? I don't see what does seem so outrageous? Can you give me an example? And who are those scholars that will eat me alive, the ones that belong to the unique thought?

1. JMcFarland profile image70
                    JMcFarlandposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I saw the movie.  And it was full of poor scholarship and misinformation, as evidenced in the entire reviews that I linked in my original reply.  Using it at this point only makes people seem less credible as soon as people find out where you got your information from.

I'm interested in the Jesus as myth and not real person - the mythicist movement.  But there is genuine scholarship on the issue from notable scholarships like Richard Carrier, etc.  There work is much more reliable, full of references and genuine scholarly thought.  Zeitgeist isn't. 

Be skeptical of your sources.  Examine their claims.  Do it before you trot them out as your "evidence".

2. wilderness profile image95

Dec. 25 is a calculated date.  The Christian historian Sextus Africanus calculated the date of His death as being March 25, and everyone knows that ancient prophets all died on the anniversary of either their birth or conception, one or the other.  Sextus decided the March date was the conception, so 9 months after that is the date of birth, Dec. 25.

Besides, it matched pretty closely with Saturnalia and the solstice, giving those nasty pagans a Christian holiday the same time should they convert.  The early church learned this trick from the Romans, who were masters at it.

Everyone knows? You mean Christians and all religious people? Same indoctrination but different heroes.

1. wilderness profile image95

A little tongue in cheek there; that was "common knowledge" at the time.  Sorry you didn't get the sarcasm.

2. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

It only means that Jesus is a creation adapted from an Egyptian creation, Horus. Furthermore, Horus was the anthropomorphism of the sun. The 25th of December is the rebirth of the sun in the northern hemisphere after three days of let's say stagnation spring is coming days are getting longer...
    We always believed that the source of christianism was Judaism thus the alliance judeo-christianism whereas it is scientifically proven that its source is Egyptian.
    I know the Zionists are disappointed.

If you say so. *shrugs*

I wished I were the source but I am not.

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
          Paul Wingertposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There's many "saviors" with stories similar to life of Jesus. Each contain a virgin birth, death, and resurrection. The list includes Buddha, Krishna, Odysseus, Romulus, Dionysus, Heracles, Glycon, Zoroaster, Attis of Phrygia, and Horus. “Many gods besides Christ have been supposed to die, be resurrected and ascend to heaven. This idea has now been traced back to its origin among primitive people in the annual death and resurrection of crops and plant life generally. According to the advocates of the solar myth theory, the ancient crucified saviors were personifications of the sun, and their life-stories were allegories of the sun’s passage through the 12 constellations of the Zodiac.”
          http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/02/03/ … e-bible/8/

And, again, which one is the oldest? Ancient Egypt. Therefore it seems logic, that the laurels belong to Ancient Egypt. The cradle of religions is Ancient Egypt.
            In fact, unconsciously, human beings are venerating the sun and not Jesus or anybody else. In that sense, how far are they from paganism?

2. Paul Wingert profile image61
          Paul Wingertposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Other saviors with stories similar to life of Jesus, which contain a virgin birth, death, and resurrection, include Buddha, Krishna, Odysseus, Romulus, Dionysus, Heracles, Glycon, Zoroaster, Attis of Phrygia, and Horus.
          “Many gods besides Christ have been supposed to die, be resurrected and ascend to heaven. This idea has now been traced back to its origin among primitive people in the annual death and resurrection of crops and plant life generally. According to the advocates of the solar myth theory, the ancient crucified saviors were personifications of the sun, and their life-stories were allegories of the sun’s passage through the 12 constellations of the Zodiac.”
          http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/02/03/ … ide-bible/

3. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 10 years ago

The story of Horus is about the rising/setting/rising of Orion. The Egyptian calendar is based on this (new year is the first rising of Sirius(isis) after 70 days of "slumber" (being below the horizon. It coincides generally with the yearly rising of the Nile(in July I think). Thus the importance. This is the Birth of Orion. Dips back below the horizon for a few months(Death of Orion)

Virgo(the virgin) rises right before Orion and Sirius on December 25th. Thus, the rebirth of "osiris'(orion) as Horus.

Continuous cycle of rebirth and death

4. janesix profile image61

Also, Virgo(the Virgin) is opposite of Pisces (the fish) What is Jesus sign? The fish.

5. janesix profile image61

Who are the "four living creatures" in Ezekiel's vision? The four fixed signs of the zodiac. The man(Aquarius) the lion(Leo) the Bull/Ox(Taurus) the Eagle( scorpio, also known as the Eagle)

"Wheels within wheels" Time cycles within time cycles. The Precession reflects the Year, the day, etc.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)