Good Reads (Post your reviews)

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

The Condition
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8821932.jpg
    Jennifer Haigh.
    Very well written, the characters real and engaging all the way through.
    http://books.google.com/books/about/The … VTngEACAAJ

The Appeal
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8821937.jpg
    John Grisham, but not his best. Too bogged down in boring detail. Disappointing finish.
    http://books.google.com/books/about/The … FmngEACAAJ

Wherever I Wind Up
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8821967.jpg
    R.A. Dickey tells his story. Abused and alone, he makes it to the big leagues. Loved this book.

1. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Stieg Larsson books: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played Wit Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet"s Nest. All thrilling reads.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I have heard of them, but never pursued reading them. There was such big talk of making a movie of the Dragon Tattoo, but then I only saw that they had made a foreign one. I don't know what they're about for the most part.

1. Jodah profile image92

They did make an English speaking version as well Beth. The second book is even better than the first. Worth a read.

1. profile image0

With Daniel Craig? Huh, I missed it. I love science fiction movies, but Ive never read a science fiction book for some reason. I will have to give it a try.Thanks!

1. Jodah profile image92

Yes Beth, Daniel Craig stars in it, but it's not science fiction. It's a mystery/thriller.
              "Disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) accepts an invitation to surreptitiously investigate a forty year old unsolved murder on behalf of the victim's uncle, Swedish industrialist Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer). Meanwhile, tattooed hacker Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara), hired to investigate Blomkvist, discovers the truth behind the conspiracy that led to his fall from grace. Thrown together by fate, the unlikely duo uncovers a secret history of murder and sexual abuse festering beneath the veneer of Sweden's industrial past, all the while drawing closer to a quiet evil waiting to engulf them both."

1. profile image0

Ack! Scary. Is it a dark read?

1. Jodah profile image92

Yes it is rather dark but it gets you in and makes you want to read the sequal. That in turn is, strangely, better than the first, and leaves you desperate to read the third....p.s. I do enjoy John Grisham novels though. I have about a dozen.

1. profile image0

Yes, Ive read as many too... His books on human relations are always the best. I really enjoyed The Testament.

2. profile image0
                  Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There's some graphic sex and violence in the books, and the movies as well.  If you really can't stomach it in movies, but want to see one, I'd recommend the American version over the Swedish ones.  smile

1. profile image0

Ok, thanks.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image55
    EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years ago

This will change your worldview:

http://bks5.books.google.ca/books?id=ontMnwEACAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&imgtk=AFLRE72HaWrqy6Zr8RQa-I2M4U5KKVIOpFeyHO97ewicGANrqAAWcyXVMLWeibtjWszGcuQyW67Riu3CJlvSRPFtrJQMgXXpOgFqZh3Mck-jSLcr1qyaJA2azBOnhvrOSCFPooygf0BW

1. profile image0

Actually it wouldn't.

2. Jodah profile image92

Nope it wouldn't. I don't believe in evolution.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image55
        EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do either of you even have the courage and open mind to read it?

Normally, people hold their reviews until after they've read a book.

1. Jodah profile image92

Sure, not a problem. I have read exerts. I have read excerpts. I believe some of the stuff Darwin writes about, natural selection and improvement and gradual change within a species to suit and adapt better to it's environment over time, but not that one species evolved over time into something completely different. I am open minded enough to read virtually anything that I feel is of interest . But for instance I'm not going to read a book on calculus because that doesn't interest me.

I would agree, reading a book that would dispel ones falsely held belief of all life on earth with facts certainly isn't anywhere near as interesting as Stieg Larsson.

2. Jodah profile image92

No it isn't, and it isn't all fact. Anything that can't be proved or disproved beyond all reasonable doubt is just theory, as is the Bible. You have no right to tell me anything about my beliefs of life on earth as being false because you don't even know what they are. You are entitled to your beliefs and I don't even say whether they are right or wrong. I have seen your comments on other forums that are not even directed at religion or atheism and you always try to change the direction of the hub to a debate.

It would appear you're not familiar with the term 'theory', which is a collection of facts that provide an explanation to a phenomenon. That is why evolution is a fact and the Bible is not.

You have admitted one belief, that you don't believe in evolution, which would mean you have some other beliefs about life on earth.

But, you just did, you said evolution is not a fact because it can't be proved or disproved. That is entirely wrong, of course.

Are you afraid of debate?

1. Jodah profile image92

Only when it is pointless, and the same old tired debate that has been going on for ever. Get over it. start your own forum topic about it and see if you get any opponents. I'm sure Eric Dierker or someone  will accommodate.

The same old tired debate gets dragged out due to people who refuse to read books to learn things, then they start book review threads and provide faith based reviews of books they've never read and have no intention of reading, lest they fear to learn something.

And, we are supposed to get over that?

1. Jodah profile image92

I didn't start this thread and I didn't mention a book I hadn't read or was I providing a faith based review, so duh! Is Origin of the Species your only reading reference? It's the only book I've ever seen you talk about on any thread you've been on?  Don't bother replying I won't be following this thread anymore. You've killed Beth's thread congratulations. You win again...or so you'll think.

3. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I especially enjoyed the part where the author actually addresses and gives a good case for the "origin" of species, like in the title.

Oh wait, that doesn't happen in this book.

Oops.

3. profile image0
    hlwarposted 10 years ago

My books. (Just kidding! They're my old works. tongue)

The last good book I read was:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8861475_f248.jpg

The Other Side of Silence
    a novel of suspense by Bill Pronzini

This book just happened to be sitting around, waiting to be donated to the Salvation Army with other boxes of my old stuff, and because it wasn't very long I decided to read it. Glad I did; a really well told and fast-paced mystery-thriller! It was a simple, straight-forward plot with likeable characters, and although the twists were fairly predictable I enjoyed the read a lot!

Now I'm re-reading the Bunnicula children's books for lack of anything else. And because they're so cute! I'll want a little bunny before Easter's over. big_smile

1. profile image0

That first one sounds good.

Right now I'm reading You're Not Doing it Right by Michael Ian Black.
      It's incredibly funny so far, but it's pretty blue. I didn't realize that when I rented it. I wont let my kids get a hold of it, for sure.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8862279.jpg

1. profile image0
        hlwarposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have some other Bill Pronzini books in my Amazon wishlist and I can't wait to read more. wink

Hmm, I don't usually read non-fiction, but I do enjoy a good, dark satire. I might have to check out Black's writing. Thanks!

1. profile image0

Bill Pronzini? I dont know anything about him... I just grabbed the pic off of amazon.

It's not dark satire... when I said blue, I meant a lot of cussing and he talks about his single days a lot when he was on the prowl... he's pretty blunt. I hadn't read his work b4 so I didn't know what to expect... that aside, he is hilarious.

edit: oh yeah, you're the one who makes all the cupcakes... they look amazing.

1. profile image0
            hlwarposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, my first comment was towards your "That first one sounds good". Sorta my testament that Pronzini is worth a read.

Still might look into Black. Cussing doesn't bother me and I can be a rather sarcastically blunt person myself, so I appreciate the authenticity of an author's voice, be it a biography or personal satire.

Yep, I bake sometimes and jumped on the cupcake bandwagon. (LOL) Thank you! big_smile

1. profile image0

Oh, I getcha. Ok good. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)