Free Photo Editors

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (40 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

What are your recommendations?

I've looked at Picasa, PicMonkey, and can't find the other one folks mention, "piknik" or something like that--maybe I have the spelling wrong?  (I'm a good speller, and not good with sussing out "alternate" spellings...LOL)

What I want to be able to do is make collages--which function seems beyond my brainpower with Photoshop.

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
      Glimmer Twin Fanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I use Fotor and I like it, only wish it had more fonts to choose from.  I have a Mac, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ah, thanks Glimmer Twin Fan--I'm on a PC....and I don't know enough about it to know which work on which platforms, either....wink

2. luvtoowrite profile image42
        luvtoowriteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have a Mac also... I have been using Pixtr. I wonder if Fotor is any better?

I've never heard of Pixtr, but will take a look.  I like Fotor (probably because I know how to use it) but it definitely has it's limitations.  I would love more fonts and a few other options that it cannot do.

I wonder if Gimp that has been mentioned here works on Macs?

I'm not tech savvy and once I get used to something and know how to do it I don't like to change, but I really would love more options.

Good question with lots of helpful answers.

1. Lifeinthelou profile image60
            Lifeinthelouposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I just canceled my subscription with adobe photoshop. I hated the Creative Cloud software. I thought it was a great deal until I couldn't open PS CC. It was a real disappointment. I'm going to try Foto, but am thinking about buying FX Photo Pro. Had you any experience with FX. I'm using Pixtr because you don't have to download the program to use it and it's user friendly.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
              Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How sophisticated do you need to get?    I find Paint.NET does everything I need, but then I'm not that sophisticated:

http://www.getpaint.net/

You do have to download it to your computer but it's not a huge program and personally, that works for me because my connection is slow.  GIMP is another downloadable one. 

I don't have experience of any of the online options.

2. Sushma Webber profile image73
            Sushma Webberposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes there is GiMP for macs. I have it on my machine.

Thanks!

2. profile image56
      descentiongalposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Try gimp shop. It has about a thousand features but an equal number of great youtube tutorials. I went from 0 knowledge to being able to produce black and white pics with a single object in color. Its a great program.

1. BigBlue54 profile image59
        BigBlue54posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's the one I would recommend as a replacement for Photoshop smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image84

I use Paint:

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

It doesn't have all the features of some of the others, but for me the big advantage is that it's a lot easier to understand!

It's also a program you can download on your own PC, not something you have to use online - and with my slow connection, that's a big plus.

paint?  Isn't that pre-installed with  Windows?? I have paint...maybe that's a different one???

Yes, it's a different one.   The one that  comes with Windows isn't even by the same company.   The program is actually called paint.NET but the website is getpaint.net

OIC.  Thank you, Marisa!

4. Twilight Lawns profile image72
      Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I need help in the simplest work with photos and script on same, so can give no advice, but would like someone to take me by the hand and teach em.
      Mwah!

5. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Gimp is available for Mac, and for Linux as well. in case anybody needs to know. If you don't like Photoshop you probably won't like Gimp either though, their tools are pretty similar.

6. Mark Johann profile image59
      Mark Johannposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For me, Picasa is still the best. But for a better look and have a natural look. PS is always the best, only it is a bit complicated compared to Picasa.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 10 years ago

I like the online photo editors http://www. sumopaint.com/app/ and http:// pixlr.com/editor/.

3. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 10 years ago

Is the one you're looking for called 'Picnik'? http://www. ribbet.com/photo-editor-like-picnik

Ah, thank you, Jayne!  I'll look those up, as well, and thanks for the "correct" spelling of the "Picknik" utility.  ;-)

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
        Jayne Lancerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Picnik 'kookiness' feature looks interesting. I wanted to do something like that a while ago, but couldn't figure out how with the editing software I was using.

4. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

Picasa makes collages of various types.
    https://support.google.com/picasa/topic/1689865

Thanks WriteAngled and everyone!  Much obliged!

5. BigBlue54 profile image59
    BigBlue54posted 10 years ago

Here's the link to GIMP

http://www.gimp.org/

6. sehrm profile image68
    sehrmposted 10 years ago

I use pixlr because it is simple and online (and free, of course)

7. JessBraz profile image91
    JessBrazposted 10 years ago

I like to use picmonkey.. Just started using it not too long ago and it's pretty easy to use.. and free... so it gets my vote.

For making graphics, I've used piktochart.com .. they've got a lot of free options in there. The only thing I don't like, they put a little "created in piktochart" image on the bottom of all your graphics.. You can upgrade to a premium version and your stuff isn't tagged.

8. LCDWriter profile image89
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

I just wrote a step by step tutorial about how to edit pictures using Paint with illustrated guides if you're interested.  It's on my profile page.  It's fairly easy to learn and usually installed on most PCs so that is a plus.

That's for the basic Windows-supplied program called Paint.   I find it a bit too restrictive and prefer Paint.NET - which, confusingly, is a totally different program.   It's free to download and not as complicated as Gimp but can still do most things.

1. LCDWriter profile image89
        LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that funny that they have the same name!

yes--you would think there would have been a copyright complaint.....

2. Twilight Lawns profile image72
      Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LCDwriter, I want to try my hand at 'Paint' so that I can create a cover for my e-book and was excited to read that  you had created a hub on the subject, but I've looked through your list of hubs (Wow!  Very impressive) and can't find it.  Could you give me the name or the link, please?
      Thank you,
      Ian

9. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

Picmonkey lets you do collages. Instead of opening a file, click on the collage option.

10. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-swqxJ7kEYgU/UybwHNw8TPI/AAAAAAAAARQ/CeZaxZSVsEg/s1600/transparent.jpg

Disregard pic. I'm in the midst of an image experiment here. And so far it's not working...

Edit. And Happy Monday Morning. smile

Edit2: And here's my photo editor contribution. https://pixlr.com/editor/ Real deal.

Ah--a lovely photo of an alien"gray" on a gray day.  lol

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

Apparently there is not a way to successfully transfer a transparent background image directly from one webpage to another (excluding the actual editing site of course). Oh, well.

I looked at the pixlr link you gave; its icons look nearly identical to photoshop....haven't tried to use it yet, but PS has such a steep learning curve that after a good 8 years using it, I'm still no more than an amateur.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
            Jayne Lancerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I love Pixlr. You just have to spend time playing with it. You could also try sumopaint.com, which I think is a little easier to use.

11. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

I haven't done collages so not sure how that's even done in photo editing software but you can try GIMP2. It is free and may allow you to do what you need to do.

12. sehrm profile image68
    sehrmposted 10 years ago

For collages, you can easily use any of the free editing software available already mentioned (I am partial to pixlr myself for relatively simple edits) or there is also an pnline adobe application (free) that is ideal for layout assemblage and collage applications (if this still exists...)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)