YOU'RE FIRED!

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8839359.jpg
    Firings occur on a common basis these days.  In some states, people can be fired by their employers for many non-discriminatory reasons especially in at-will employment states.   The socioeconomic situation is precarious as it IS.   One of the MOST FEARED and WORST THINGS to be is.........FIRED.   Being fired from a job still has a stigma.   A fired person is considered to be damaged goods or inept.   He/she is viewed as an.......UTTER FAILURE........A LOSER.   

Being fired also causes psychological damage, sometimes beyond repair.   For some, being fired is THE END of their career.........their dreams...........   A few will further devolve into self-destruction.   There are suicides that occur because of firings.    Yes, firings are oftentimes a disaster financially, emotionally, psychologically, and psychically.    Now, case scenario, what would YOU do if you were FIRED?   Retreat, be defeated, or bounce back?  Why?  Why not?

1. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would definitely bounce back and show them that they couldn't stop me!

1. darrensurrey profile image60
        darrensurreyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

I was in a position where the boss didn't think I was good enough for the role. Ruined my day, I can tell you! I've since been in a similar position for another company and recent customer feedback said I was perfect. I also get paid more and there is more scope for future advancement. Kinda grateful the previous post didn't work out!

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

File for unemployment, make a real stink about the reason and fight it all the way. 

When I won, draw it for as long as possible.

3. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would see being fired as the ineptitude of the employer rather than the employee and therefor would strive to reach my own personal goals without a second thought as to an ex-employer.

If it happened too many times I would have to think about what I was doing wrong and adjust my approach and work ethic.

2. Alphadogg16 profile image85
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I'm sorry, getting fired is like falling in love, eventually its going to happen to everyone. If you allow a job firing to send you into a downward destructive state, then getting fired is the least of your concerns, there's some other psychological/self esteem issues you need to deal with. It's a part of life. There is no doubt in my mind that if i were in that situation, I would come back, bigger, better and stronger. The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.

3. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

Lybrah, Alpha, and Wilderness, WOW, WOW, SIMPLY WOW, ALL GREAT ANSWERS!   I love the positivity here, really, AWESOME to say the least!

4. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

Oftentimes being fired can lead to a sense of worthlessness. Being fired can mean that one cannot cut it in the corporate world.  To many people, being fired from a job is seen as a disgrace. Many middle to upper middle class parents view being fired from a job as a fall from grace and inculcate their children in that philosophy.  They were never fired from their jobs and are quite unsympathetic to their children if the latter lose their jobs, telling the latter how incompetent they are.

To many people,being fired from a job is considered to be a moral trangression, a mortal and damnable sin.  Older parents, born in the  1920s and grew up during the Depression, view getting fired as THE END of a career life.  The very worst thing to them is being fired from a job.

5. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

Also in many instances, being fired is a career/success killer.  Being fired signifies ruination of one's socioeconomic life.  A fired person is/will be NEVER the same again.  In essence, being fired RUINS/DESTROYS one's career life and life in general. Most companies DON'T want to hire a person after he/she is fired. One can say ALL HOPE IS GONE....

6. bBerean profile image60
    bBereanposted 9 years ago

I find the OP's sensational and dramatic assessments, as well as many of their subsequent comments regarding firings and those that are, as at best out of touch with today's labor dynamics.  At worst they are rediculous and potentially damaging, should anyone actually give them credence.  Does anyone agree with the OP?

gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There are many cases in which prospective employers consider those who were fired damaged goods.  People who are fired are seen as poor risks by employers.  Employers rather hire people w/perfect work records and who are deemed to be company assets, not company liabilities.  Being fired is oftentimes viewed as career killers.  In my generation, we were taught that being fired is a disgrace, something to be avoided.   Even now, employers are extremely loathe to hire fired employers.  Being fired is STILL considered a stigma.

1. bBerean profile image60
        bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Speaking from the perspective of a person whose career has almost entirely been in positions to hire, train, mentor, manage, discipline and fire, I find your assessments dated and currently inaccurate.  Btw, in case your wondering, no, I have never been fired.  I have hired those that have been.  Personally I have been layed off and "downsized".

gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Being laid off/downsized is vastly different from being fired.  When a person is downsized/laid off, it is not his/her fault.  Companies look more kindly on such employees than employees who have been fired.  Being fired excl. discriminatory firings is often viewed highly negatively.   People who are fired, not downsized/laid off, from their jobs are viewed as losers.  They are seen as not being with the corporate program and as personae non gratae.   Being fired is something to be avoided at all costs.  It is far better to quit a job than to be fired from that job.  If a person is fired, it is DIFFICULT for him/her to get a job.   A person who is fired is seen in a total negative light by prospective employers.  Laid off/downsized employees are given more chances in terms of employment than a person who is fired.

1. bBerean profile image60
            bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What you may have missed is that I and my peers, being the ones making hiring decisions, are the ones determining what weight a previous firing carries in relation to an individual securing new employment and moving forward.

Few will admit to a dismissal so resumes that unapologetically admit to it are intriguing.  If your looking for a strong independent personality for a difficult position, and are a competent enough manager to command their respect, that person is worth a look. 

The losers you espouse will have carressed their resumes with no clue of the firing to be found.  In fact it is their resume that's likely to stand out as and in fact be too good to be true.  In our litigious society businesses are increasingly reluctant to do any more than confirm an individual was but no longer is in their employ.   

HR people who rely on  background checks and what boxes are checked on some syllabus they proudly constructed rather than a talented and experienced interviewer likely turn away the best candidates in favor of the most deceptive.

Ironically political correctness has in many cases banished good judgement and reason from the hiring selection process in many corporations.  They get what they deserve as a result of such short sightedness.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)